Twenty Four: The Magic of First Romance

The Boys of Summer

Since Yuta and Sicheng had completely monopolized the cabin the day before, the boys decided that they would hang out in their cabins altogether the next day. After breakfast and lunch, armed with arts and crafts, they all headed back inside to beat the heat and relax. When Donghyuck snuck in and sat down with them, nobody even said anything at that point. 

Donghyuck rubbed Mark's shoulder, waving hello before sitting down next to him and working on his own friendship bracelet. Mark smiled at him with slightly pink cheeks before turning back to his earlier conversation with Sicheng (he'd already forgotten how to make a bracelet and Sicheng had to teach him again.)

"Wow, no ual harrassment today?" Johnny teased the twelve year old. 

"What do you mean?" Donghyuck whined back. 

"We mean, aren't you going to say something stupid to Mark?" Taeil added. 

"Everything I say is highly intelligent and comes from the heart. I have no idea what you two are talking about," Donghyuck responded, giving Mark's turned around frame a quick once over before picking out some colors and starting. 

Johnny and Taeil checked to make sure Mark was distracted before turning back to Donghyuck. 

"You know, it was sweet of you to slow dance with him. He was pretty lonely," Johnny said quietly to Donghyuck. 

"You guys should know by now that my motives were entirely selfish. The closer proximity, the more likely he is to get with me," Donghyuck responded with an uncomfortable eyebrow waggle. Johnny and Taeil grimaced at the gesture, but immediately saw right through the twelve year old's bull. 

"Seriously. You're a , but we know you secretly do have a soul," Taeil spoke. 

Donghyuck sighed. "I...I didn't like seeing him look that...lonely, okay? It made me sad," Donghyuck admitted, in the quietest of mumbles. Johnny and Taeil shared a knowing smile and Donghyuck glared at them. 

"Anyways, why are we focusing on me? Everyone knows I like Mark. What were you two doing slow dancing together?" Donghyuck asked, trying to get the attention off of himself. 

His ploy worked, as both Taeil and even cool Johnny immediately blushed. 

"Uh...didn't wanna be awkward," Taeil mumbled. 

"Yeah, would've been awkward to just stand off to the side," Johnny added uncomfortably. 

"If you say so," Donghyuck responded knowingly before tapping Mark on the shoulder. 

"Made this for you," Donghyuck said softly. Mark's eyes immediately widened at the sight of Donghyuck's bracelet for him, and he held out his wrist for Donghyuck to tie it on. 

While Mark was distracted by Donghyuck, Yuta and Sicheng were finally left sort of alone. The pair were sitting on the floor, leaning on Doyoung and Jaehyun's bed, with Sicheng nestled in between Yuta's legs. Sicheng was making a bracelet, while Yuta was playing with Sicheng's hair, and all in all they were both very entertained. 

"How's it coming, beautiful?" Yuta asked, placing a small kiss on the corner of Sicheng's cheekbone. The light physical affection made Sicheng blush all over, still very unused to being in a relationship. It was all so new to him, but that made him all the more excited, especially because it was with his first real crush. 

"I-It's going good," Sicheng responded shyly, smiling softly to himself. 

"Take for a break for a minute and cuddle with me," Yuta mumbled. Sicheng nodded and released his hands, Yuta quickly interlacing his fingers with them. 

"You have such nice hands," Yuta quietly spoke. "They're so delicate...and lovely." 

"Thank you," Sicheng said, tilting his head to look back at Yuta. Yuta smiled down at him and pressed a light kiss to Sicheng's nose, which make Sicheng giggle and blush. It took all of Yuta's strength not to cover the sweet thirteen year old in kisses at that moment, not wanting him to be embarrassed in front of everyone. But at the same time, he was almost too adorable to resist. 

"You know, I never apologized," Yuta said as Sicheng turned around to nestle his head in Yuta's chest. 

"For what?" Sicheng asked, Yuta combing his hand through Sicheng's dark, thick hair.

"For not noticing how I felt about you sooner. I wasted a lot of time, and if it wasn't for you I don't know if I would've had the self-awareness to confess. You know, we only really have five days left of camp-"

"Shh," Sicheng responded, stopping Yuta in the middle of his sentence by pressing a finger to his plush lips. 

"What?" Yuta asked. 

"Don't talk about it," Sicheng answered. 

"How camp is over soon?" Yuta asked. 

"Yes!" Sicheng whined in clarification. Yuta pressed a loving kiss to the top of Sicheng's head. 

"We better make the most of it," Yuta responded. "I need to make up for missing you the whole school year with kisses. You better skype me when you have free time too," Yuta spoke firmly. 

"I'm home schooled. Trust me Yuta, I have all the time in the world," Sicheng answered. 

Meanwhile, Taeyong and Ten were situated in their favorite spot in all of camp: up on their shared bed, the top bunk. Close enough to everyone else to be a part of the action, but far away so that they could have a bit of privacy. They liked the others, yes, but they just wanted to be together. They adored each other. 

The cabin was quite hot, so the pair were laying shirtless together, tucked beneath a sheet for some leverage of privacy. Even though they'd only been a couple for a few short weeks, they were comfortable enough with each other for things to be easy, even like this. Maybe their closeness came from the fact that they were with each other twenty-four hours a day, from their morning meals to afternoon relaxation to evening talks by the fireside to stolen kisses under the cover of night to sleep, side by side, when the only light for miles around was that of the stars. But Taeyong liked to believe it was because they were made for each other, that they became so close so quickly because they never really needed to get to know each other, and instead deep in their hearts they already knew each other like the backs of their hands. 

Even though the cabin was hot, from the sun seeping through and the large number of teenage bodies crammed inside, Taeyong didn't mind the feeling of Ten's breaths hot on the bare skin of his chest. It felt right, like every slight touch Ten gave him, like every side glance and every word spoken. Taeyong theorized it was because they were soulmates and first loves, the intensity of both wrapped up into one month in a seemingly meaningless summer. 

The one thing Taeyong didn't like to think about was being parted from Ten. 

He wasn't sure he'd survive. 

All he and Ten could ever talk about was the next summer. Taeyong prayed there would be one, so Ten could work more of his magic, to change Taeyong for the better.

Taeyong usually liked to take things slow, but nothing about Ten was slow. Ten was all speed, excitement, heat, and maybe that's why Taeyong didn't mind how quickly their relationship was moving. 

He was in love. He knew that to be a fact. 

It was too soon. But what he felt was real and he had to tell his darling Ten before their parents came and drove them away from each other for too long to possibly bear.

"I love you," Taeyong whispered into Ten's hair, as quietly as he could manage, partially wishing Ten wouldn't hear. It all was too soon and he knew it, and Taeyong usually suppressed his emotions but there was just something about this fourteen year old boy that drew everything out of him, in the best way possible, of course. 

Ten heard him. Taeyong knew by the little things, the way a shiver ran through Ten's skin, the way his heart speeded up ever so slightly, the way a breath hitched in his throat and the way Ten looked up and Taeyong with those pretty dark eyes of his Taeyong could stare into for hours. 

"I love you too," Ten mumbled, his voice slow and drawled because of the heat but still sincere and true. A small smile poked out of the corner of his lips and Taeyong just melted. 

Taeyong could have cried, and if he'd been younger or older he would have. But fifteen year old boys are too afraid to cry so he just looked back at Ten with light in his eyes, trying to show the boy all his love and affection in a simple expression. 

"Love you," Ten mumbled again, laughing softly and burying his face in Taeyong's chest. Taeyong noticed that the funniest things seemed to make Ten embarrassed, and he would have to add love to the list. 

Taeyong lightly tilted Ten's chin back up, wanting to see his love's blushing face in all its glory, and boy was he treated. Taeyong loved making Ten shy; he knew it only happened when Taeyong went above and beyond, when he gave Ten what he'd never received before but had always deserved. 

Taeyong quickly leaned over and pecked Ten's soft, waiting lips.