Bearable

Twice's Daughter

Jihyun groaned and stretched out her arms. Tangled in a couple of wires, Jihyun opened her eyes. She pulled her hands from the cables and looked around the room. The far corner of the room lighted by the orange glow of the street light out the window, the rest of the room filled with silhouettes, Jihyo's and Jungyeon specifically. 

It took a moment to realize that she had a heart attack. She looked at the foot of the bed, where the chart sat. With every muscle in her chest area telling her to stop, she persisted and stretched her arms out for the chart. The clipboard wiggled at the end of Jihyun's fingertip. The younger Ji moved her fingers, as if it would bring the clipboard closer. She rubbed at her chest which caused her whole body to twitch. 

A long clang followed by a few shorter ones echoed around the room, that alerted the two Twice members. Jihyo was immediately taken out of her sleep endorsed trance and was by her daughter's side faster than Superman could fly around the globe. The leader guided her daughter so her back would touch the mattress.  

Jihyun looked up at Jihyo, noticing the puffy eyes. She felt guilty. Her eyes traveled past Jihyo and found Jungyeon stretching. Jihyo usually spent hospital nights alone, claiming she was able to handle it. Jihyun knew this time that that was not the case. 

"Something bad happened didn't it." 

"No, no nothing bad happened." Jihyo cried and caressed her daughter's cheek. "You were strong, and you were brave. I am so sorry I am a terrible mother."

Jungyeon was about to speak when Jihyun cut in. 

"You are not a terrible mother. It wasn't your fault, we couldn't tell how bad my condition was." 

"Maybe if I had payed more attention, it wouldn't be this way. I am so sorry you have to feel this much pain." Jihyo's tears trailed down her face. 

Jihyun sat up despite the soreness. Much to Jihyo's surprise she received a hug from the younger. Jihyo's tears soaked a part of Jihyun's hair, as the younger sniffed. Jungyeon picked up the clipboard from the floor and placed it back on the bed. She rubbed both Ji's backs, feeling awkward with the sweet moment and a bit left out. 

"What happened?" Jihyun asked as Jihyo guided her in laying down. 

"You had a heart attack and a surgery." Jungyeon replied.

"A surgery that allows blood to flow through your arteries, but because of the complication the hospital would like to keep you here to keep you under surveillance and you're moved higher up on the transplant list." Jihyo continued

" What -what happens when my condition occurs again with the new heart or rejects it?" The younger Ji's voice faded towards the end. 

Jihyo and Jungyeon looked at each other for three seconds.

"I promise you, that I will do everything I can to make sure you don't die." 

"No you can't do that! Everyone dies and that is the only thing that is guaranteed!" 

"Okay, okay." Jihyo stopped her daughter from going further. 

"I'm sorry it gets overwhelming, sometimes I think it might be better if I didn't have this condition or if you guys didn't have to deal with it at all. But - uh I want to be resuscitated, and if that doesn't work," Jihyun cleared . "I want to donate my organs like Mama Mina." 

"You have such a big heart!" Jihyo caressed Jihyun's forehead. 

"That's a little ironic." Jihyun laughed as her volume drifted into a tired, groggy state. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Minjoo sat on Jihyun right side, she had been enthusiastically waving her arms around as her eyes would widen every so often. The younger Ji smiled, engrossed with Minjoo's storytelling. 

A cart, red with silver drawers, rolled into the room with Nurse Kang following. 

"Nurse Kang!" The two looked at the nurse. 

"What's that?" Jihyun asked. 

"Hope ropes!" Hyewon smiled. "Since you'll be staying here, it's something to help you. You're given a fishing line and each time a procedure is done you get beads or charms based how intense the procedure was. Small beads for small procedures like changing IVs, blood tests and taking medicine. Medium for things like scans and the big charms for surgery or anything extreme." 

"Cool!" Jihyun smiled already planning to make a couple of bracelets. She frowned however realizing not everyone would be able to have one considering her list of friends, her list of parents and grandparents. 

"I see a frown, do you not like it?" Dr. Kim entered the room.

"I like it and it's a good idea but I don't think I'd have enough for 18 bracelets." 

"Unfortunately, we plan to keep you here until you're fully treated. And because the goal is to have a heart transplant, we will have to wait until there is a match for you and we don't know when that is. So I think those 18 bracelets will turn out perfectly." 

"I have to go," Minjoo stood up. 

"Okay, break a leg." Jihyun smiled before Minjoo leaned down and planted a kiss on her lips. 

"It's an acting class not a theatric show." 

"You'll do amazing either way." 

"You're leaving now?" Jihyo returned with Daniel and two bowls of jajangmyeon. 

"She has class right now. I'll miss you!" 

"Are you going to miss me or my lips?" 

"They're a package deal." 

Minjoo rolled her eyes before heading out the door. 

"If you need advise on kissing, don't be afraid to ask." Daniel smiled before he received a smack from Jihyo. 

"I'll make sure to ask you if I need advise," Jihyun laughed. 

"What's in your headspace little Ji?" Daniel moved another chair over to sit beside Jihyo. 

"I don't think I'd ever get use to staying at the hospital. It's so clean and sterile, it makes me feel dirty. A part of me can't help but think this whole process is really tiring, I don't like feeling useless." 

"No one likes being useless. Just think of it as your turn to be cared for, you've done a lot to help your friends, your family and even me." Daniel hugged Jihyun. 

"I'm still not calling you Appa." 

Daniel groaned. "It's been 16 years!"  

"Let's eat you two!" Jihyo playfully scolded taking a bite of jajangmyeon.