“It Is Just Heartburn”

Twice's Daughter

The dorm was quiet, Jihyun had started to get hungry and headed to the kitchen herself. She found herself frowning when she was out of breath from the short climb of stairs. 

Jihyun was already 3/4 done with cooking her meal when she felt her stomach knot tighter and tighter each second. She turned off the stove and braced herself at the sink till the pain went away. To her relief it ended shortly and she continued cooking her meal. 

She didn't have another episode of pain until the members started to wake up and sat themselves at the dining table. The moment Twice sat down, Jihyun got up and sprinted towards the bathroom. That morning's breakfast didn't sit right in her stomach. As if she walked through a barrier between the kitchen and the bathroom her nausea disappeared. 

"Are you okay?" Jihyo looked suspiciously at her daughter. 

"Yeah, I'm okay."

Once breakfast was over Twice moved to the living room. Mina played against Jungyeon in a  Battle Royale. Apex Legends over Fortnite for those of you wondering. It must have been the adrenaline building up in the younger as her heart beat quickened and cold sweats formed. 

It was about another week before the two Parks moved out. Jihyun studied at JYP 2.0 and would normally get to see her friends when they came to visit her at her house. Jihyo already began to start packing,  on the other hand Jihyun was putting it off. It wasn't a good idea due to the fact that it was going to be stressful later on, but another moment packing meant another moment closer to change. 

Change has not been very friendly to the younger Ji. Everything that has been happening, was a downhill battle. This whole thing was getting harder and harder, but she was taught to keep fighting for her dreams. But of course it was easier to roll down the hill than push a boulder up it for eternity, like Sisyphus.  

The day continued to go by, unconsciously the younger rubbed her chest at moments to get rid of the pain. Jihyo came out of her room and noticed this. 

"Ji? Are you okay?"  This caught the members attention. 

"Yeah, just heartburn." 

"Are you sure?" 

"I promise to tell you if it gets worse." 

"Alright. I'm going to finishing up in my room then we will head to yours to start packing, okay?" 

"Okay." 

"Aww I don't want you to leave." Mono hugged you. 

"I'm ready to leave," you smiled. "I want to be away from all the loudness." 

"You're still stuck with Jihyo, Jihyun-ah." Nayeon laughed. 

"Yes but you're all loud, that's why Jihyo Umma has to be loud. All except Mama Mina." 

"What's the place like?" Chaeyoung asked.

"There's a big living space that connects to the kitchen once you open the door. Black cabinets and white marble counter tops with an island. At the far end of the apartment there is a room on each side and a bathroom in the middle." Jihyun's rant began to dissolve as a temporary frown sat between her eyebrows. 

The room spun she reached out for any object that could hold her steady. She closed her eyes for three seconds before she opened them followed by several blinks. Her hand shot up to her jaw rubbing it immediately. 

The room was muffled out with Tzuyu's voice bringing Jihyun back to reality. Jihyun looked up, all eyes was on her. Twice's hands reached out, concern in their eyes. 

"Ji,what is going on?" 

The youngest looked at her arms, opening and closing her hands. Pins and needles scratching at her palm and forearm. 

"I think I'm having a heart attack."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jihyo wrapped her arms around Jihyun's waist. She ran into the ER she didn't have to say a word when Dr. Kim noticed and sat Jihyun on a gurney.

"She's having a heat attack!" Jihyo yelled. 

"Okay," Dr. Kim ordered residents and interns as she rolled the younger Ji to an O.R. She didn't second guess Jihyo's statement she has seen many heart attacks to realize that is what Jihyun had. "You're going to be okay, Jihyun." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"A coronary artery bypass surgery was performed on Jihyun. It's a surgery that restores blood flow to the heart by using veins to bypass a blocked artery. With Jihyun's condition she is moved higher onto the transplant list, but without a match we are still waiting. I think it'll be best for Jihyun if she was emitted into the hospital so we can monitor her better. Arrangements can be made for her own room. I'll be back when she's awake." Chaewon smiled and gave Jihyo a squeeze before she nodded at the rest of Twice.

The small hospital room was about to be packed with grandparents and friends. Jihyo kept herself busy, she was already making arrangements for the hospital room. She has not taken a break since her daughter was rolled into the O.R. 

"Ji, I think you should sit down." Nayeon tried to persuade Jihyo. 

Jihyo ignored her.  

"Jihyo unnie," Tzuyu moved closer to the leader. "Let's take a break, yeah?" 

"I can't!" The Twice members gave her a questioning look, leading to Jihyo sighing. "I should've seen the signs earlier, 'it's just heartburn.' Maybe I rushed into things trying to move out. I was only trying to do what is best for Jihyun and she had a heart attack. A heart attack at 16! I'm a terrible mother." 

"You are not a terrible mother, the person who is least likely to agree with that statement is alive." Jeongyeon smiled. 

"No one said parenting was going to be easy," Chaeyoung added. "You are doing the best you can." 

"I out of everyone, know that it is okay to make mistakes it's how we learn. Because we can’t blame ourselves for things that constantly happen. Jihyun is gonna grow up making mistakes, she’s gonna get hurt but she’ll be okay because she has us. Most importantly she has you.” Mina comforted. 

Sana wrapped her arms around Jihyo. 

“Jihyun, is a lot like you. So she will fight the best she can. You don’t have to do this on your own. You have us.” Dahyun hugged Jihyo. 

“It’s going to be okay.” Momo hugged Jihyo before Twice held each other in a group hug. 

Jihyo let out the tears she was holding in, the world was lighter on her shoulders. 

 

A/n: It’s been awhile and I know some of you are patiently waiting for updates. My mental health wasn’t very great so I put a lot of things on hold. Thank you for sticking around. I’m not sure when the next chapter would be up but I’m getting better