seven

This Kind of Relationship

The car passed by a bunch of people in front of the bridge. Jiyong knew well enough of this area so he had no difficult in finally arriving at a solitary and quiet corner near the park. It located away from the bridge in 5 minutes driving. Jiyong was professional, indeed, in this kind of thing. After stopping the car, Jieun still held a fear of being publicized, especially beside Jiyong.

“Are you sure we’ll be fine?” Jieun sounded almost whispering.

Jiyong looked at her and smiled. Jieun was so scared and Jiyong was standing there laughing at her charms. He then slightly nodded, still had that smile on his face, and opened the door to step out.

“It’s so nice out here. Jieun ah…” Jiyong took a deep breath and exhaled it out loud.

“Ya! What if someone heard you? Soften your voice, please.” Jieun leaned to the side, still did not intend to go out. She was too nervous.

“Jieun ah… it’s alright. Noone is here.” Jiyong walked around the car and started to open the door for Jieun. “Come on, this kid.”

Jiyong started to bring out the food and beers without waiting for Jieun. He walked all the way down near the river and sat down, alone.

“How can he be so calm?” Jieun would tell herself. She still sat in the car, looking at the figure who was sitting there, alone.

Jieun realized how lonely his back could become. Was he really that lonely? Sometimes, she would ask if he would feel lonely. He always had friends surrounded and he seemed to always have a lot of fun with different people. Yet today, Jieun saw his figure from the back and would think differently. She was, somehow, lonely too. Was being successful and adored this lonely? She was not sure if she could feel all of his sorrow of loneliness, but there was a push in her gut telling her to come closer to him, physically and mentally.

Jieun stepped out of the car and approached Jiyong. She then sat down next to Jiyong; they would both stare at the river and Jiyong opened a can of beer. They did not talk at all, and Jieun would sometimes turn to look at Jiyong.

“Oppa? Are you mad?”

“Huh? Why am I mad?”

“You didn't say anything.”

“Oh.. I bring you here to enjoy the atmosphere. I always go here when I’m in trouble.”

“Sounds like an escape from reality, huh?” Jieun reached for a can of beer.

“You drink?” As he heard the sound of opening, he startled and looked at her.

“I do oppa. You’ve never seen it?” Jieun held the drink and waited for Jiyong.

“Of course. Jieun is a bad girl.” Jiyong chuckled then reached for his can.

They once again lost in their own world. Jieun would start to remember all the things she and that person had been through. Then, she would try to look for those mistakes which she made during those days. There she was again. Jieun would start to blame herself for every broken relationships she was in. Jieun would be the one that was played hard to get. But, when she let her guard off, she would completely fall in love with one. And, she would end up becoming the one who fell in too hard and too deep. Thinking too much would cause Jieun to feel headache and exhausted. She needed someone to distract her from that. And there he was, Kwon Jiyong.

 

“Do you go here often oppa?”

“Sometimes, when I’m not in a very good mood. I’d been here many times during the old days though.”

“How about now?”

“Less than before I guess.” Jiyong took a sip.

“Because of work? Or someone else?”

 

Jiyong would look at Jieun. He had no expectations on the fact she would bring up this thing. And Jieun would never know why she asked such a question like that too.

 

“Someone? Who?”

“I don’t know. I’m just asking. I might be right. Am I?”

“You might. Or might not. I don’t know either.”

“Oppa.” Jieun sounded serious.

“Hm?”

“Are you alright?”

“Asking yourself first before questioning this oppa.” He patted Jieun’s head.

“I’m not alright but it doesn’t mean I cannot ask you about this oppa.”

“I don’t know.” Jiyong would take another sip before saying more. “Going here might be a good idea for you but not for me.”

“Why?”

“There are several things that you don’t know happened here.”

“Good or bad?” Jieun was curious.

“Both I guess. Sometimes it was good and sometimes it became bad.”

“Is it about her?” Jieun realized it was too late to take it back. She would then hit her head by herself. “Sorry, you can pass that question if you don’t want to answer it.”

Jiyong looked at Jieun and grinned.

“Oh.. it’s about her.” Jiyong honestly admitted. “And another one.”

Jieun would not be very surprised. She knew Jiyong involved with many girls, in particular, two girls. She knew both of them, through Jiyong of course. Still, both of them would know which girl the other referred to when it came to the word ‘her’. They knew each other that much anyway.

They, again, were in silence. Jieun did not know what to say and Jiyong would start some new random conversations. They ended up eating all the chickens and pizza with tons of gossips. Jieun seemed to get better when she was sith Jiyong. He did not want to upset this girl by dragging her into his messy love stories. Even he knew that his relationships were so messed up and he couldn’t even fix it himself. But for always, he would end up spilling some of his stories to Jieun and it would make Jieun became a part of him. Jieun knew too much of him, but he was alright with that anyway. It was Jieun after all.

 

“Oh no…” Jiyong opened his fourth can of beer. He bought quite a lot though.

“What?” Jieun still struggled with her second can.

“We’ve finished all the food.” Jiyong jokingly grinned.

“Ya!” Jieun would make a push in Jiyong shoulder and cracked up.

“Can you even finish that one?” Jiyong pointed the can on her hand that had been there for a long time.

“Of course. I’m Lee Jieun.” Jieun put her hand on the chest and grinned.

“You’re Lee Jieun and was it ever relevant to drinking?” Jiyong felt that she might be drunk a little bit. “Alright. Let’s go home.”

“You don’t know I’m a model for a Soju brand? Chamisul.” Jieun winked at Jiyong.

“Ok ok. I’m not letting you drunk tonight.”

“I’m not drunk oppa.” Jieun would laugh out loud. “You’re drunk.”

“Ok I’m drunk. Let’s go back. It’s late anyway.”

“Ok.” Jieun made an ‘OK’ sign with her fingers and still laughed all the way from there to the car.

 

Jieun was not drunk at all. She just felt entirely miserable and terrible that she wanted to cry. But she held it on too good by laughing and shouting a lot. It could be an effect of alcohol, Jieun knew. Though she knew sometimes getting a beer made her feel better, she hated the fact that it eventually led her back to the pain she was hiding from. She was hurt so bad.

As soon as Jieun was put in the car with her seatbelt on, she closed her eyes and turned her face to the window. She was crying. Jiyong knew that, and he would let her cry anyway. He the music and started the engines.

 

“Oppa.”

“Hm?”

“Am I going to be alright?”

 

“You will.”