six

This Kind of Relationship

Jiyong fell asleep already. He must be tired for a long day and Jieun would keep on the video call just to look at him.

“You worked hard, Jiyongie. Sleep well.” Jieun unconsciously smiled.

She wanted to… touch him. Watching him slightly snoring, she felt satisfied. Was it like a feeling of possessing something? She did not know. Just then, she remembered what Inna unnie and Jinri had said. She had not realized that she could look good beside him. Was she? She had no idea. But, she would start to visualize about what it was like in her mind. She found herself imagining things that she had never thought of before. It had been a long time since her last date, her last kiss or even her last time spending time with someone she would feel comfortable with. To be honest, she was sure Jiyong became someone she would feel most comfortable with. Indeed, she had depended on him a lot those days, those tiring days.

 

Jieun: Ji called Ji.

Jiyong: What’s up?

Jiyong would always reply less than 5 minutes. He used to take a long time to reply a text to any girl, but it seemed like Jieun was his only exception. He did not know why, either.

Jiyong: ???

Jiyong: What’s wrong Jieun?? You called me and now you’re quiet.

Jieun: Nothing.

Jieun: I’m just… bored.

Jiyong: Really???

Jieun: No

Jiyong: No???

Jiyong: What’s going on???

Jieun: What are you doing?

Jieun: Can I call you?

Jieun: Aren’t you busy?

Jiyong was stuffing himself in the studio anyway. He would look around to see if anyone was here. It was not that he wanted to hide this relationship, somehow he did, but he just wanted to talk to Jieun by himself.

“Hello…” Her voice sounded tired and exhausted.

“What happened?”

“Nothing. I just want to talk.” She continued to sound so weak that Jiyong became a little worried.

“Really? Where are you right now?”

“I had a very bad day, oppa.”

“I’m listening.”

“I guess… we couldn’t work out anymore. He… didn’t want to talk about that. I guess… we’re really over. Jiyong ah, I really don’t know. Why… is everything like this? Why? Is it my fault? Jiyong?” She eventually let out of her mind and Jiyong would feel relieved.

“Do you want to continue before I say anything?”

“There’s nothing to say oppa. We’re really over. It’s done. Everything is done.” Her voice began to shake.

He could feel she was holding on her tears and he could feel how she felt right now. He knew that feeling. He had been there before. Jiyong wanted to hug her as much as he could. In front of him was a weak girl both in her heart and in her mind. And now, she was trying to pretend that she was strong enough to hang on there. Jieun could handle this alone, but it was just a part of her clinging her mind to depend on Jiyong. She did not know how to reconcile all these tiresome. She would blame herself, and Jiyong was certain about that. He knew that this kind of girl would end up blaming herself, because he would do the same thing as well.

“If you want to cry, you can. I’m not judging.”

She did not say anything nor make any sound. Jiyong wondered if she put on mute just to cry out loud by herself. But if she did, he would let her anyway. He would wait. Just then, Jiyong would hear a tiny sound of sobs. Jieun had cried for a while.

“You’re feeling better?”

“Oh…”

“Jieun ah… do you want to eat something?”

“Huh?” Her voice suddenly changed. She must be surprised by how he approached her after hearing the cry.

“Do you want to eat something with this oppa?”

“How? And aren’t you busy in your studio right now?”

“I will finish off soon. I’ll be done at 7.”

“So? How can we even eat something together oppa?”

“I knew a place that we would be comfortable. Ok?”

“Really oppa? I doubt that. I don’t want to cause some trouble to you. I’ve had enough.” She refered to her forever-followed scandal that had somehow dragged her career into a mess for a while.

“Trust this oppa. I’ll pick you up at 7:30, is that fine?”

“No no no. Can you just send me the address? I can’t be in the same car with you.”

“It’s alright Jieun.”

“No!!! I said no!! Or else I’m staying home.” This voice sounded more familiar to him though.

“Ok ok ok. Jieun seems to be back at normal. I’m glad.” Jiyong chuckled a bit. “Ok so 7:30 at that place. I’ll text you the address.”

“Cool.”

“See you later crying baby. Don’t cry too much, ok?”

“Ya!!! Bye Jiyongie.”

 

Jieun: Really oppa?

Jieun: Banpo bridge?

Jieun: In the middle of Seoul?

Jieun: Are you crazy? There are thousands of people out there oppa.

Jieun: Are you serious oppa?

Jiyong: This crazy kid kkkk

Jiyong: I know a corner that nobody even know, you kid.

Jiyong: Trust this oppa.

Jiyong: You have no idea how professional I am in dealing with the public.

Jieun: Ok I trust you.

Jieun: If anything ever happened, it’s all your fault oppa.

Jiyong: By the way, can you drive alone?

Jiyong: I’m not sure if I could guide you where to park the car.

Jiyong: Are you sure you don’t want me to pick you up?

Jieun: Oh yeah, I never really go to the bridge by myself before.

Jiyong: I’m going to pick you up Jieun.

Jieun: No you can’t. Your car is too noticeable.

Jieun: We’ll be ruined.

Jiyong: I’m driving a regular one today.

Jieun: Really?

Jiyong: So you’re ok? I’ll pick you up at 7:30.

Jieun: Hm..

Jieun: Ok if you say so.

 

Jiyong went to Jieun’s place around 7:20. He brought some chickens and beers, doubtedly thought if Jieun would like this. Eventually, he brought a pizza in case Jieun could not drink beers. He knew she drank sometimes. But who would know she will have something to do tomorrow and beer could end up causing her in trouble.

Jiyong: I’m here. It’s a white one.

Jieun would look around before going in his car. And she would bring along her black cap to look more ordinary. She knew these kinds of things anyway. Going on a date or just meeting at home would be hard enough for people like her, and like him too. Yet, the man beside her was too experienced and ignorant in these things that somehow made her more relaxed than before.

“Hello oppa.”

“Hi Jieun. Let’s go.”

“I smell chickens. And… pizza?”

“You’ve got a good sense.” He cracked up and started to turn on the music. “Let’s enjoy the drive and the music.”

 

Jieun had time to look at him while he was driving. This was her first time sitting this close to him. She could see his face was reflected in gleam and dark by the lights on the street. Eventhough, he would have a bright figure and somehow bright smile. When Jiyong enjoyed the music with his nodding head, Jieun would lean back to the seat and stare at him. Was this man that attracted before? Jieun started to ask herself if she was going to fall for this kind of man, a free-spirit and casual man. Was she going to fall for this type of man? She would know for herself, she would never consider this type of man to be in her comfort zone. Though, Jiyong was the first one. Why was he the first one? She had been frequently asking this question to herself; finding the answer was not too hard yet she was so laid back that she did not really want to know what was the answer. Was she afraid of the final answer?

She always had that “mind-control” sentiment and she wanted her heart to be as her mind. She was easily falling in love but her mind was indeed too strong that had invaded her heart somehow. But there was one thing she knew for sure, that Jieun felt so right at the moment she looked at Jiyong. It was the moment she was sitting beside him, the moment when she felt like there was no such a conception in her mind preventing her heart from feeling right.