Electrodes - 1

Scrub Suits and Pillow Talks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I present to you... Dr. Amber Liu, M.D. and Dr. Krystal Jung, M.D.

Peace yow!  ✌

-----------

 

 


Chapter 1

 

 


Loud rock music was blasting from the speakers inside the operating room of Yong-ganham Medical Center. A slender looking woman nods her head lightly to the music while her hands are busy doing its magic inside the body of a 55 year old patient. This is her ritual for every operation she performs, her favorite Surgery Playlist blasting on the speakers to calm her mind for her to finish her task.


After successfully connecting the artery of the fist size muscle, she wired the sternum in place and sutured the incision she made then covered the area. Her team checked the vitals of the patient and she instructed them to bring the patient to the Intensive Care Unit for a 24 hour observation.


She took off her face mask and let out a tired smile to her team "Good work guys! I'm really thankful for your help today.. The only thing we can only do right now is pray for Mr. Park's recovery." She went out of the Operating Room to approach the relatives of the patient she just saved on the table.


She informed them about the successful Coronary Artery Bypass surgery and told them to wait until the patient is awake. The surgeon embraced the wife, letting her know that everything will be alright.


Walking in the hallway, she pulled the hair cap she is wearing that made her long, brown, luxurious beautiful hair drape on her shoulders. The action making the nurses male and female alike drop their jaws while looking at her. It was a simple gesture, but for them it was a sight to behold. Her mesmerizing eyes even though tired, still lights up and smiles at everyone she bumps into.


A nod, a bow, a smile. Almost all the male population of nurses and doctors at Yong-ganham Medical Center has a crush on her. Some are hopelessly inlove, some also offered marriage even though she didn't know them that she declined kindly. Sometimes her office are filled with bouquets of flowers coming from her secret admirers and not so secret admirers making her cringe, calling the janitor and asking him kindly to make a door to door delivery of the flowers to the patients.


Like now, upon entering her office the sweet smell of flowers welcomed her and a pouting face of her secretary in the middle of all the baskets and bouquets looking at her helplessly.


"'Morning Doc!"


She shook her head controlling her laugh at the sight of her secretary looking like an elf having a picnic in the woods surrounded by different kinds of flowers.


Her eyes landed on a single stem of Forget Me Nots lying at the top of her table, enough for her to release a small smile that didn't escape her secretary's eyes. They shared a conspiratorial smile and she understood it immediately.

 

 


"Doc, should I call Janitor Cha to start the delivery?" Her secretary Byul asked with a smile on her face, excited to dispose all the sickeningly sweet smell because for her secretary it feels like a funeral inside the office.


"Yup~ you know the drill Byul.." she chirped while flopping herself at her office chair and picking up the Forget Me Not in front of her. She took the remote of her music player pushing the play button. Soon the catchy tune of Billy Joe Armstrong's guitar filled the room with the latter's voice singing 'American Idiot' brought her body to a relaxing experience.


Her mind wandered off to the sender of the flower, thinking of how that person has been today. She brought the flower to her nose smelling it and as usual, that person sprayed its own perfume again making her crave for that person's warmth.


Her secretary knocked on her table, getting her attention. Byul knows she's losing herself again on thinking. The secretary slipped a note on her desk smirking.


"Doc, Nurse Key said they just finished the surgery. I prepared your fresh scrubs inside the changing room." The surgeon nodded while smiling and stood up from her seat to freshen up.


After freshening up and changing into a new scrub, she went to her table to check on some documents and patients reports. She'll be doing her rounds later and as usual her bright secretary already prepared everything.


"Doc, your sister called while you were changing. She said she will be dropping by later to have coffee with you. What do you want me to tell her?"


"Hmmm... Tell her the usual.." she said while standing in front of her whiteboard.


"What??! Your sister doesn't believe me anymore Doc! She's really scary..." The secretary shivered remembering the cold glare she received from the other doctor.


The surgeon laughed softly while doodling something on her whiteboard where all the surgeries she is scheduled to perform are written under the dates. She smiled to herself upon seeing that she still has 12 hours left before performing another Bypass surgery.


She went back to her table to pick up her pager and mobile phone putting it inside the pocket of her scrub top. She wore her jacket not forgetting to slip the flower inside the hidden pocket so no one can see it while she strut her way outside.


"Tell Unnie I went out to buy coffee for myself. You can do it Byul... Fighting!" The secretary was about to argue but the surgeon already waved goodbye at her with a wink and went out of the office.

 

 

----------

 

 

At the other side of the building, another slender looking woman has her hands and eyes busy finishing a Laparoscopic appendectomy to a 4 year old girl patient. Suturing the incision made inside the body after removing the appendix, the brown eyed doctor carefully finished the surgery and drained the CO2 used inside the body of the child while humming to the classical music blasting from the speakers of the operating room.


Pulling out the cannula and stapling the 1/2 inch incision she made at the lower right side abdomen of the kid, she placed a small patch covering it and a small Hello Kitty band aid. She's just 4 years old, she thought. When she grows up, this scar will just be a small reminder of what she experienced when she was a kid. Thank God for Laparoscopy, she added.


She took off her face mask letting out a sigh, flashing a tired but bright smile to her team of OR nurses who assisted her. The two female nurses gulping and biting their lips inside their face mask upon seeing the young Surgeon's bright smile. The other one, a male nurse, snorted and rolled his eyes to the doctor.


"Good job guys! Bring the little princess to the recovery room... Thank you very much for assisting me today."


"Anytime Doc--" one of the female nurses sweetly answered but was immediately stopped when the male nurse stomped on her feet. The surgeon burst out in a small laugh and shook her head.


She bowed at them and proceeded outside of the operating room to tell the girls relatives about the successful operation of their little princess. She told them about the outcome and informed them that she will be alright and will be placed in a private room after her stint at the Recovery Room. The Aunts thanked her and she bowed at them then left.


After changing her used scrubs into a clean one, she donned on her jacket and went out of the locker with a smile on her face, her short black hair softly hanging. She brushed her short hair back greeting nurses and colleagues she bumps into.


Nodding here, bowing to a few sunbaenims. She approached the Nurse's Station to greet Luna Park, the Head Nurse, with a bright smile. Some of the nurses at the station consciously fixed their hair and scrubs unknowingly to her.


Almost half the population of the female nurses at Yong-ganham Medical Center has a big crush on the surgeon but she doesn't care.


Nurse Luna congratulated her for another successful operation and informed her that if she wants to rest, the room near the station is empty.


She smiled at her friend and asked Luna what flavor of coffee she wants because she's going out to buy some before resting. That was her last surgery for today... Unless there's an emergency that she needs to attend to.


The surgeon said goodbye to the nursing staff and head on to the elevator humming a tune. How many surgeries did she completed since last night? Two? Three? She smiled to herself remembering the kid she just performed an appendectomy with. The little girl said she looks like her Appa, but her Appa is more handsome than the doctor. The kid is frank and the little girl reminded her of someone. "Little Joohyun Jung Liu... Such a cute kid.." She shook her head looking down on her hands smiling.


The elevator door opened while she was still looking at her hands. When a sudden force suddenly bumped her shoulders and a mumbled 'Sorry' didn't escaped her ears.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter