Chapter 7

Beautiful Eyes

Yunho stood there frozen in place unable to move his body as he watched this beautiful man before him sing with such a powerful voice and yet with so much sadness. It made his heart ache as his chest tighten from seeing this man’s sadden eyes who looked like he is on the verge of crying. To Yunho it looked like a heart broken angel who couldn’t forget the person he loved dearly. Just watching him and listening to him sing from the depth of his heart made Yunho’s chest hurt. He could feel his own heart in pain feeling all the sorrow from that wonderful voice. Without him even realizing it he had already started to walk forward toward the front of the stage without breaking his gaze. He looked like he was possessed by a ghost forcing him forward. Changmin who was busy playing with the drum could see Yunho slowly approaching the stage seeing that disbelief expression on his face. He turn his gaze from an awe struck yunho to Jaejoong who is singing as if he is about to cry. For an instant changmin thought he saw their deceased friend standing in Yunho’s place watching jaejoong perform. He shook his head and closed his eyes to see Yunho standing there once again but with the same sadden and bitter expression of the friend he thought he saw. He can’t shake off the feeling as if his friend is staring at jaejoong through those brown eyes.

“Oi Changmin…you going off beat” came Junsu whispering voice

Changmin apologized before pushing all those thoughts aside and concentrated on his drum alone.

Yunho made it to the front of the stage without even turning his gaze away for a second. In fact he can’t even remember if he had blinked at all this entire time. All kind of images that he had saw previously begin to play before his eyes as he recall the image of jaejoong crying with endless tears making his heart heavy. This song and this sad voice were only adding to the heart ache he is feeling. Jaejoong on the other hand has yet to notice Yunho as he continue to concentrate on his singing as loud as he could until all the feeling he had kept inside has been said. He closed his eyes and remembered the phone call he received earlier

*Flash back*

After a few more rings, jaejoong finally found the courage to answer the call.

“H-hello…” he spoke nervously

“Jaejoong…?” came a female voice from the other end

“yes…” he could hear a sigh of relief from the woman

“How are you?” she asked

“I’m fine…”

He could hear her pause as a sign that she doesn’t believe him “Today…I heard that Junsu and the others will be performing to honor him…”

“yea…he told me…”

There was a silent between them as the woman spoke first “getting in touch with you wasn’t easy…” she chuckled lightly

“s-sorry…”

The woman smiled before glancing to the table of fruits and picture of a young man. There were other relatives there as well all dressed nicely in black and white.

“You…aren’t going to sing…”

Jaejoong paused “I…don’t think I deserve to…”

The woman paused before speaking “you…still haven’t let go have you?...you still blaming yourself for my brother’s death…”

Jaejoong didn’t respond as a confirmation. When Jaejoong befriended his friend, he had also befriended his friend’s sister who is only 2 years younger than them. She uses to hang out with them every now and then acting like their mother when they misbehave.

“neh jaejoong...do you think my brother will want this?”

“I…don’t even know what he wants…I can’t understand his wishes…this is probably why we got into an argument first…”

“Now...now…my brother is as much to blame…he couldn’t understand your feeling…your desire….your wishes….” She paused a bit before speaking “…and your love…he thought he was doing what was best for your without thinking about your feeling…because he left so early that you didn’t get a chance to say what is in your heart…so why not go….why not sing…why not tell him honestly…tell it to him loud and clear so he will understand…”

Jaejoong didn’t say anything as he thought about what she just said

“Even though he isn’t here physically…knowing him…he is here spiritually watching you…he is probably crying and angry at you….so instead of allowing him to go scot free…why don’t you tell it to him straight…I hear that tonight he will come back to the world of the living to visit families and friends…”

Jaejoong couldn’t help but chuckled a bit “is that supposed to make me feel better or scare me?”

“Go jaejoong…” she spoke “Go to where you need to be…do what you needed to do…let your anger out…”

*End of flash back*

Upon this suggestion jaejoong sings even louder with even more passion then he had ever singed before delivering a message of regret, anger, sorrow and endless love. As he sing the entire place was quiet, not a single sound was made as everyone stood where they stand fearing that if they moved, they will ruin this unforgettable moment. Once the last word has been said, the music slowly came to a stop as the song stopped. Even after the music ended, the place was still quiet as no one spoke a word. Even the bandmate were amazed at just how wonderful jaejoong was that even their heart was moved. At this moment jaejoong finally lower his gaze and to his surprise he spotted Yunho standing there as they locked eyes. For a moment Jaejoong thought he was staring into the eyes of the deceased friend that he loved. He became even more shock when he notices a single tear fell from Yunho’s eyes.

He couldn’t tell why but the minute he saw those tears his heart ached. Jaejoong was about to jump the stage and dashed toward Yunho when the crowd started clapping and cheering loudly as they pushed toward the front. Everyone was going crazy that they started to push Yunho back as they took his spot at the front. Jaejoong stood there and watched as Yunho slowly disappear into the crowd.

Seeing this scene before him, changmin also stood up and quickly exited the stage. Jaejoong watched as changmin dashed through the crowd trying his best to squeeze through the people who have gathered.

“Wait changmin ah!” Junsu called after him but it was too late

As the crowd got more out of control, Junsu figure it’s best to leave as he and the band mates escorted jaejoong off the stage and toward the back where no one is allow to pass the security guards.

“Let’s go” smile park Yoochun with a sorrowful expression

“What’s wrong…I thought you wanted to go after him to sign a contract”

Yoochun glanced at the stage and remember the memorable performance by jaejoong. It wasn’t only Yunho who felt the true meaning of that song. Even after a year, jaejoong has yet to let go of that love.

“Maybe another time…” said Yoochun as he exited the venue

Changmin managed to catch up to Yunho outside and spotted him sitting on a bench just outside the front door staring out into the parking lot as the blanket of night twinkling stars hoovers over him.

“are you okay?” Changmin asked fearing that upon seeing jaejoong with that blonde hair will trigger something in Yunho. However he was surprise when Yunho turn to changmin and smiled

“I’m fine…I just needed some air”

Changmin took a seat next to him as neither of them says a word. It was Yunho who spoke first

“I think…it’s him….no…I know it in my heart that it’s him…the blonde guy I have been seeing is none other than jaejoong…I knew they looked similar but to I guess a part of me was hoping it was someone else who just looks like him…but at the end I can’t deny the fact that is in front of me…”

Changmin didn’t say anything nor does he know what to say

“By the way you did a great job up there…I didn’t think you even know that song…”

Changmin hesitated a bit feeling like he needs to tell Yunho the truth “You know that me and Junsu are friend….we have hang out before…so I use to play a few time for them as the drummer…”

Yunho paused as he started to get this bitter feeling deep inside toward this person who he considers a brother “and jaejoong….”

Changmin paused a bit before answering “I…also known him for a year and a half…”

“So he was the friend whom you say you lost contact with but is attending the same college…”

Changmin nodded his head

“Then…why do you act like stranger with him?”

“The part of me not being in contact with him for a year was true…it wasn’t until a few months ago when I started hearing rumors about him and saw him…but even then he had air around him that made it hard for me to approach….so…I just let him be…”

“Why didn’t you tell me that you were part of their band…and that jaejoong was the singer…?”

“I….didn’t think it was important rather I did know him or not…”

“You knew jaejoong had blond hair…he sings….why didn’t you tell me that he could be the blonde guy I have been seeing?...I even told you that this guy looked like jaejoong…”

“I didn’t want to give you any false hope…I had wanted a little more time to find out the facts first…”

Yunho paused before lifting his gaze toward the sky again and sigh heavily “it doesn’t matter anymore…” he recall the performance by jaejoong and how much love he was conveying to this person who have disappear from his life “…it looks like it ended before it even get a chance to start”

Changmin can’t help but pity Yunho. He knew something like this will happen that’s why he wanted to separate Yunho and jaejoong but at the end he couldn’t do anything. However he is relieved to know that Yunho has not pieced together that the person he received the cornea from could possibly be the man whom jaejoong loved

“Yunho…”

Before changmin could say anything Yunho had already stood up “let’s go home changmin ah…thank you for bringing me here…for allowing me to see such a powerful and heart felt performance…” he smiled

“You welcome Yunho…”

At that moment Yoochun and his secretary also exited the front door. He started to walk to their direction as Yunho made eye contact with him. With just one glance, Yoochun broke the contact as he passed them. It wasn’t until changmin spoke did he paused

“You heard his song…you can feel his true feeling…it has not changed and will never change…it’s time for you to give up Yoochun”

Yoochun didn’t say anything at first as he try to control his urge to punch changmin for stating the facts that he didn’t need to be stated.

“I’m interested in his voice…his skills…his talent…his heart…is no longer a purpose of mine…”

“Are you sure? Back then you were doing everything you can to obtain both and look where it leads him…I think you should not interfere with his life anymore…”

“I run an entertainment business…I go after people with talent and provide them an opportunity to make use of what gift they have been born with…so no matter what you say...I won’t rest until his voice become mine…” said Yoochun as he and his secretary left.

“You know him?” Yunho asked

Changmin nodded his head “yea…he approached jaejoong a year ago offering him a big contract to become a pro…however jaejoong turns down the offer but he didn’t give up…he continue to appear before jaejoong making things complicated…I have a feeling that now he have heard jaejoong sing again, the urge to make jaejoong part of his company has reawaken…”

“If you don’t mind me asking…why did he turn down the contract offer?”

Changmin paused as an image of Jaejoong and their deceased friend flashed before his eyes. Even though jaejoong didn’t tell him anything, he could already guess his reason why he doesn’t want to go pro alone.

“I don’t know…” he lied

After biding goodbye to the other friends, changmin and Yunho got into the car. Changmin started to pull out of the parking spot as they slowly follow the other cars. Yunho couldn’t forget jaejoong with blonde hair as all those images he saw came back. The angelic smile, the soft chuckles, the expression of love and affection that he had witness no longer belong to him. He had wanted to meet this blonde guy and somehow become part of his life but at the end there was no place for him to take. His heart has already belonged to someone else. He had wanted to find out the reason why he was crying, he had wanted to be there to give comfort but now he knows the reason making it impossible for Yunho act. As Changmin exited the parking lot and turn to their right, Yunho lifted his gaze out the window in time to see Junsu and the bandmates putting their instrument away. Jaejoong was also standing there with his blonde hair shinning under the moonlight. Yunho can’t help but thought how beautiful jaejoong looked. It wasn’t until the car passed jaejoong did their contact broke. Just remembering Yunho shed those tears made Jaejoong’s chest tighten. Even just now, the sorrowful expression is still on Yunho’s face as if he just got his heart broken. Just thinking about Yunho being sad made Jaejoong unhappy.

“Jaejoong…lets go” said Junsu

He looked at the direction of changmin’s car before getting into Junsu’s car.

The weekend passed like it was nothing as Monday came along and school once again started. To Yunho the weekend felt like it never end as he constantly think about the performance. It still has not set in that the blonde guy he have been seeing is none other than the same Kim jaejoong in his lecture class whom he has been trying to be friend with. To think that they are the exact same person is unbelievable but it does explain why he has the urge to be friend with jaejoong. It also explains why he was feeling attracted toward jaejoong the same way he was feeling toward the blonde guy who has hunted his vision. But before this love could be realize or conveyed, he found himself heart broken. Facing jaejoong at school has become hard as he isn’t sure how to react or what kind of expression should he make.

After having the motivation to go to class for the last few weeks, the motivation has disappeared. He dread going to the lecture class because he was not ready to face jaejoong just yet but he knows that if he didn’t go, he will suffer the wrath of the professor. Yunho got to the front door and took a deep breath before slowly opening to peek inside. He wanted to try and avoid jaejoong if he can as he looks inside. To his relief jaejoong was nowhere to be seen.

“What are you doing?” came jaejoong’s voice from behind causing Yunho to jump in shock as he ends up tumbling forward opening the door widely. Upon his stumble, the students inside the room turn to face him and wonder what just happen. The blonde hair from last night has disappeared as it return to a familiar brown.

“J-jaejoong!” Yunho call out his name loudly before standing up

Jaejoong on the other hand only raised his eyebrow upon Yunho’s strange behavior “are you feeling okay?”

“Of course! I’m perfectly fine…” he spoke nervously “oh…look at the time…I have to go to my lecture class!”

Yunho took a few steps before jaejoong spoke “This is your lecture class…”

Yunho looks at jaejoong and then to the classroom as he mentally curse at himself for being stupid.
“O-of course…” he chuckled before walking pass jaejoong and enters the classroom. He decided on a seat toward the other side of the classroom far away from the window seat that jaejoong always sit in. Once Yunho seated he sigh in relief only to be surprise at jaejoong taking the seat right next to him putting him on edge.

“Are you sure you are okay?” he asked with a concern look on his face

“Of course…I’m perfectly fine…nothing is wrong…”

Jaejoong only raised his eyebrow again doubting Yunho. He then recalls Yunho being there at the performance “Yunho…about last night…”

“Last night? What about last night?” he asked with a smile while hinting his discomfort upon the presence of jaejoong

Seeing how uncomfortable Yunho is next to him, jaejoong let out a sigh “never mind…” he stood up

“where are you going?” Yunho asked

Jaejoong only smiled at him slightly “to my usual seat since it seem you are uncomfortable with me…you probably might felt like you got cheated or got lied to since I didn’t tell you about my real self…you might even think I’m strange for having two different color hair almost like I am living a double life….”

With that being said jaejoong started to walk away as Yunho felt guilty for making jaejoong show such expression and spoke such words. It wasn’t like they were close enough for jaejoong to tell him about his personal life. He reached over and grab onto jaejoong stopping him

“please sit…I’m sorry for making you think that I have come to dislike you…it wasn’t like I am doing it on purpose…yes…finding out about your true self is shocking but…it’s not something I will dislike you for…what you do during your spare time is none of my concern…beside…me acting this way doesn’t have anything to do with you personally…it has to do with me trying to figure something out…so please…sit…” he smiled

Feeling like Yunho really meant what he said, jaejoong return the smile as he took a seat next to Yunho “by the way…did you finish your report…?” he asked

Yunho look at jaejoong in complete horror for he had forgotten about the report that is due today. He was so engross with everything that has taken place that he had completely forgotten about his homework.

“! I’m screw!!” he shouted in a frantic as jaejoong chuckled

“I’ll help you…”

Yunho turn to look at him in shock. Per the rumors, jaejoong never give a helping hand…in fact he hated people who piggy back off of his work.

“It’s okay…I’ll just take the zero for this assignment” sigh Yunho not wanting jaejoong to think of him as being like those other people.

Jaejoong can’t help but smile at Yunho for being brave as he took out his laptop and his notebook “take out your report…we still have at least 20 minutes before class starts…we will use the information that I have gathered…I give you the info so you put together the report…even if you can’t get a perfect score…at least you will be given a passing score”

Yunho look at jaejoong and felt his heart flattered with joy seeing him as an angel who has descended from heaven to help him.

“Hurry up” snap jaejoong noticing Yunho making no movement when they don’t even have that much time.

Yunho quickly took out his notebooks as jaejoong give him the information he have gathered. Yunho took out the report he is supposed to write. With jaejoong’s help, Yunho started to put everything together. While jaejoong was helping him, he can’t help but think about everything that he have learned so far about this beautiful man. He even think about the information that one girl from the venue told him about the lead singer being in love with the lead guitarist. Does this mean that Jaejoong actually prefer guys? Does this mean that the person who deceased was the person jaejoong loved? How could a beautiful creature be put through such a painful experience having the person he love taken from his side. What could have led to such an argument between jaejoong and this person he love? All kind of question appears in Yunho’s mind but there was no way he could ask for the answer.

“Oi…be more serious about this report…I am taking the time to help you…don’t waste my time and effort if you don’t want to finish this” snap Jaejoong as he notice Yunho constant stares.

“S-sorry…!”

Even though he apologized, he quickly found himself staring at jaejoong again who is more concentrated on Yunho’s report then he is himself. Yunho isn’t sure if it was the lights peeking through the large window or if something is wrong with his eyes again but there is this bright warm light around jaejoong. It gives him a beautiful and breathe taking glow. At this moment Yunho came to a conclusion as a decision has been made. Even if he can’t be the person in this beautiful man’s heart, he will at least become this man’s support, someone he can rely on.

While they were busy trying to get Yunho’s report done in the short time they have, changmin is standing toward the back by the door watching them.

A concern look is reflected upon his expression as he debated rather he should allow this to continue and find a way to separate them. He remembers seeing Yunho shed tears at the performance over the weekend. This made it the second time he seen Yunho cry in such short time period. If Yunho were to find out that the cornea he received was the person jaejoong’s loved, Yunho will be crushed as much as jaejoong will be when he finds out as well. From his point of view, this relationship will end in nothing but heart ache. Just then he felt his phone buzzed as a sound of him receiving a text message. It was from none other than Kim junsu.

“Don’t you have class as well?” Changmin asked as he meets with Junsu at a café just down the block of the college changmin attends.

“I don’t have any classes today…what about you?”

“I have a late class around 6 today…”

“I see…”

Changmin ordered his drink as they sat there in silence as neither of them spoke.

“Changmin ah…about what you were trying to do before our performance…I can’t help but think back to it…what were you thinking? What happen to make you want me not to perform?”

Changmin only scratch the back of his head unsure how to explain it

“You stated it have something to do with Yunho…what is happening with him and why would he want to ask me something?”

Feeling like he might need a helper in this matter, changmin decided to tell Junsu everything even though it’s just his assumption without any real facts to prove his thinking. Junsu sat there quietly as he listens to what changmin have to say. He can’t deny the fact that everything so far sounded unreal like something changmin had made up to fools him.

“Are you sure?” Junsu asked

“There is no other explanation…”

Junsu felt a shiver went through his body at the thought of those eyes looking at him from the dead.

“well…you…might be right about the cornea…I remember attending his funeral and talking to his sister…she told me that they plan to donate his body parts to help anyone who needed help…it could be that they also donated his cornea…if you think about the time frame between his death and Yunho receiving the transplant…it fit perfectly…” said Junsu

Changmin sigh “I thought so too…”

Junsu became quiet as he felt like how changmin did being put into a horror movie “but…to have Yunho see these images of jaejoong are strange…something like this just don’t happen…”

“I know…even the doctor isn’t sure why this is happening…”

Junsu lifted his gaze to look at changmin “you...don’t think that it’s his doing do you? Like him pulling something from the dead? People get possessed right? What if this is something like that?”

“If that was the case we should have gone to an exorcist but I don’t think it’s anything like that…this isn’t anything spiritually…”

“So what do you plan to do?” junsu asked having the same fear that changmin have

Changmin sigh “I’m not sure…I was thinking of separating them before they both discover the truth but seeing them together and smiling makes it impossible for me to come in between…”

Junsu also became quiet “that’s true…maybe…I shouldn’t have perform that night…by going to the stage and performing with jaejoong only confirmed those images he saw…”

“No…even if you didn’t get on the stage…Yunho would still conclude its jaejoong and not some double…”

“But to think he didn’t suspect jaejoong from the beginning because the hair color is different…if it was me…as long as their face is the same I would conclude it have to be that person” said Junsu

“He can be slow but not stupid…”

“so…if he come asking me question…should I just answer it since he already know…”

Changmin thought about it for a bit before answering “if possible…I would rather you not answer his questions…try to avoid it as much as possible…the more he learn…the more he will grow attach…”

Junsu paused as he look at changmin a bit “you know…you are acting like an overly protective mother….I get it that you guys are friends but why do you care so much about him…?”

Changmin only lower his gaze as he stare at the ice coffee in front of him. He didn’t say anything as an image of Yunho smiling flashed before his eyes.

“Yunho…is too kind….he hold no grudges….he show no hate…no matter how he is mistreated he is able to smile about it and forgive….” Changmin paused a bit before continuing “…because of this nature….it lead me to be protective of him…always watching out for him…he have been through many betrayal when it comes to love rather it’s family members, friends or his choice of partners….I just….don’t want to see him go through it again and smile as if it’s okay for him to be treated that way….”

Junsu was quiet for a few seconds before speaking “You know what I think…I think it’s best to confirm the facts first before you decide to do anything…”

“Yea…I figure as much…I was planning to visit his sister sometime this weekend to ask…although I don’t think it’s easy to get actual confirmation from the doctor since they are very strict about this kind of information…”

“Then…let me take care of that part…I happen to know someone who could provide me with such info…” said Junsu as he stood up and gather his stuff “I have to go…even though I don’t have class I do have a meeting…you can go and talk to his sister…as for the doctor confirmation…just wait for my phone call…”

“neh Junsu…” changmin spoke before smiling “thank you…thank you for listening and for not thinking that I have gone crazy…”

Junsu flashed him a smile “You are my friend changmin ah…it only makes since to help…beside…it’s not like you to make up stories to trick me…”

With that being said Junsu left the cafe as Changmin is left there alone. He turn his gaze toward the window with a worrisome expression fearing that the past might repeat itself, fearing that Yunho will once again go through what he did with his mother after the death of his father.

“It’s easy to accept someone but it is not easy to accept someone who reminded you of the person you love, remind you of the happy moments, moments of anger and pain….memories that you no longer wish to remember…the end results will be two fragile heart slowly breaking” thought changmin

As the sun started to set, Yunho and jaejoong walked side by side chatting and smiling talking about their lecture class. Yunho still couldn’t believe that they actually finished his report in just 20 minutes. It was lucky of him to have jaejoong there to help him providing him with the much needed information. They had stopped by a ramen shop and had a stomach full before going on their  walk.

“I love walking at this time” stated Yunho

“why? What is do special about it?” jaejoong asked

“The cool breeze…the colorful setting sun…the fresh smell of the air…and most importantly…the noisy day life have faded…it’s quiet and peaceful just before night comes…”

“You…are the first person to ever say anything like that…”

“Will…what do you like?”

Jaejoong started to think “I don’t really have anything I like…”

“what about singing…”

Upon the word ‘singing’ jaejoong stiffen a bit “I…no longer wish to sing…it’s a thing of the past…what you saw will probably be the last time I sing”

This surprised Yunho to think that someone who could sing like jaejoong will actually stop. In other words he will no longer hear that powerful voice again

“I apologize if I step out of line here but…I don’t think you should stop…I think you should keep singing…I love your voice jaejoong ah…I love how powerful it is…I love how every note you sing struck me like lightening…the way you sing…the expression on your face when you sing…it’s beautiful…”

“you are just overreacting…”

“no I am no!” Yunho shouted startling jaejoong

“oi…why are you getting angry?”

Yunho stood there as he recalled that wonderful performance he witness over the weekend, it was a performance that he could never forget. It was there and then that he felt like he has learned a bit more about jaejoong, given a chance to understand his past. The way jaejoong sing was not someone who no longer wishes to sing but it was someone who wanted to sing, someone who have been holding back the urge to stand on the stage. The expression was of someone who strongly desire to give voices to a song, a person who is meant to stand on the stage. It was like a siren given a chance to sing again after so many years of having his voice taken away. To hear jaejoong say that he no longer wish to sing was like Yunho no longer wishing to breathe.

“Don’t…give it up…” Yunho soften his tone of voice with a soften expression “don’t stop…keep singing…I have never seen someone match what they do as much as you…you were given a powerful and beautiful voice that can move a heart…don’t…let it go to waste…keep letting the world hear it...let me continue to hear it…I don't want you to regret letting this go...I know you love it...so please...don't give up on something that you actually wanted to do...”

Jaejoong became speechless as he is lost for words. It reminded him of his friend who have passed. Even though he no longer wish to sing, he can’t help but felt warm and felt happy inside to know that there is actually another idiot out there who will say the exact same thing as the idiot who left him.

“Is my voice the only thing good about me?” Yunho asked with a grin wanted to tease Yunho

“O-of course not! Everything about you is perfect! Your voice is beautiful…your appearance is beautiful…”

Jaejoong chuckled making Yunho embarrass as he realize that jaejoong was just messing with him.

“Jaejoong” came a familiar voice from behind

Upon his name, jaejoong turn around as a young man stepped out of an expensive looking black car that was parked just feet away from them. Yunho and jaejoong was surprise to see who it was, it was none other than Park Yoochun of SM Entertainment.

“It’s been a while isn’t it? The last time we saw each other was probably during Jang Geun Suk’s funeral”

Jaejoong narrowed his brow at Yoochun with hatred.