Chapter 4

Beautiful Eyes

if you like, please don't forget to upvote and subscribe!! :)

****************************************************************

“You lied to me! You told me that you haven’t been in contact with him for a year so why are you going to the same college as him?!” Junsu asked in rage as Changmin struggle to come up with an answer. He can’t help but regret calling out to Junsu. He should have just kept his mouth shut and find another route to avoid him. Seeing how this is turning violent, Yunho quickly intervene to try and calm the situation however Junsu wouldn’t budge. Yunho isn’t sure what is going on or how Junsu and changmin know each other, he doesn’t want there to be any trouble so early in the morning.

“Junsu…let him go” Jaejoong finally spoke seeing how Yunho is struggling to assist the situation

One glance from jaejoong and junsu obey as he released Changmin before taking a step back to try and calm the fire inside. Meanwhile Changmin tried to catch his breath as the grip Junsu had on him was tight nearly cutting his air way.

“Are you okay?” Yunho asked full of concern

Changmin mastered a nervous smile “Y-yea…”

Yunho turn his attention from Changmin to Junsu as he too started to get irritated “I don’t know what the problem is between you and him but to come to our school and act out of line is rude and disrespectful…even if he had done something to upset you, you shouldn’t have grabbed his shirt so hard that he couldn’t breathe…”

Junsu glared at Yunho “for an outsider you sure love to poke your nose into people’s business”

Jaejoong reached over and grab onto Junsu’s shoulder “cut it out for I’ll really cut all ties with you”

Fearing the threat junsu calmed himself as he took a deep breath and ignored Yunho as well as changmin before turning his full attention to the man whom he had come to see.

“I want you to reconsider”

Jaejoong sigh “you really don’t listen do you…I’m not going to discuss this topic with you again…”

He attempted to walk away but junsu had reached out to grab him tightly which irritated Yunho more as he too reached out to grab onto Junsu. This scene only draws more attention from the crowd as people begin to whisper. Some even consider of calling the campus security in case this turn violent. It was changmin’s loud clap that snapped the trio toward him

“Enough…there seem to be a lot of heat going on here…let’s all just calm down and talk it out like adults” said changmin

Junsu forcefully yanked Yunho’s hand away from him but did not let go of jaejoong “you two can talk…I still have some unfinished business with jaejoong…” he turn to changmin “I’ll deal with you later…”

Without another word, Junsu dragged Jaejoong away. Yunho watched as they enter the courtyard and managed to make eyes contact with jaejoong for a bit before they disappear into the crowds.

“That guy…he never changed” sigh changmin

Yunho turn to changmin with a serious look on his face “how did you know him?”

Now changmin felt like he has been cornered once again. For the first time he wants to go to class then explain this complicated situation to Yunho.

“I…was acquainted with him a year and a half ago…through…another friend of mine…”

“Why is he so upset with you and even say you lied to him…who was he referring to when he say you lied about not being in contact?”

Changmin was quiet for a brief moment before speaking “another good friend of ours who has broken away from us for a year now…and he also attends this college”

“and that person is?”

Changmin only smiled at Yunho softly with a trouble expression “if possible…could I not answer that question? There are just too much going on…to much complication that I don’t even want to think about it…for one thing…I almost died…when that guy is angry…he doesn’t hold back”

Yunho wanted to press on with this topic but he does understand that there are things people don’t want to share or talk about. Even he hasn’t been fully honest with changmin about the things that had happen to him.

“Fine…I will let you off…it’s not like we have time to talk about this anyway…we still have to attend class…” Yunho return the smile

Junsu dragged jaejoong toward the courtyard ignoring all the stares he gets. For one thing it is not common to see someone touch the beautiful cold hearted law student jaejoong or even come close enough to touch his shoulder. To actually see someone holding onto his arm and dragging him away is a rare sight to see. Once Junsu have confirmed there is an empty room, he pushed jaejoong inside before closing the door. Jaejoong on the other hand only calmly straighten his shirt where junsu has grabbed.

“Explain…” said Junsu

“What is there to explain?”

This only anger Junsu more “Tell me the truth…have you been in contact with Changmin this entire time and yet you ignored all my attempts to contact you?”

“You are sounding like a jealous lover…”

Junsu slammed his hand against the wall causing jaejoong to jump a little “I am jealous!” he snapped “I have been friends with you since we were just baby…I have stood at your side each day…stand by you through everything…and yet you just tosses me aside like I’m nothing…you wouldn’t as much as see me when I come to your house…you turn me away as if I’m no one…and yet here you are attending the same college with changmin who had only meet you a year and a half ago…”

Jaejoong didn’t say anything as junsu continue “tell me Jaejoong…what am I to you? Am I still a friend or has I been completely turn into a stranger?”

When jaejoong didn’t say anything Junsu closed his eyes and took a deep breath to calm his rage. He never imagines that there will be one day where he will be so angry at jaejoong. But the one person he is truly upset with is Changmin. He thought he had formed a good relationship with changmin when they were first introduced. At the end changmin lied to him about not being in contact with jaeoong. At that time changnmin knew how desperate he was to reach jaejoong and yet at the end he was kept in the dark. To see them going to the same college only meant that they have been in contact with each other but kept it a secret.

“You are misunderstanding something here Junsu” jaejoong finally spoke “yes…me and changmin are attending the same college however we didn’t even know that we attend the same college until 2 months ago…but even then we haven’t spoken to each other…I keep to myself…I concentrate on my studies while he have his own group of friends to hang with….in this school…we are just stranger…”

Junsu tried to find any trace of lies within those big brown eyes but he couldn’t find any. At this point he had started to calm down but even so the rage of being lied to still remain.

“I did not came here to argue or create trouble for you…” Junsu digs into his pocket and took out a piece of paper before handing it to jaejoong “this is where we will be performing…rather you come to be a singer or an audience is up to you…but if you truly still see me as a friend and still care about what we are trying to accomplish then come…”

Jaejoong didn’t take the paper but only stood there with his head low not wanting to meet Junsu’s eyes. After seeing him not taking the paper Junsu’s chest tighten with pain and disappointment that the one person he had look up to, had come to love would refuse his request for help.

“You…have disappointed me greatly jaejoong…you were never like this…just what have become of you…is this really the kind of person you want to be? Is this the kind of life you will want to spent the rest of your life doing?”

Jaejoong didn’t answer as Junsu took the paper and slap it onto jaejoong’s hand “I care a lot about you jaejoong….i know you are going through a lot because of his death…I know you felt like it’s your fault that you have no right to sing…no right to pick up that mic and guitar because you blame music for tearing you two apart…I may not be in your shoe…I can’t say I understand what is going through your head and what you are feeling…I can only offer you help…offer you comfort….offer you a way to break out and recover….but…if you refuse to take my hand…there isn’t anything else I can do for you…right now…is the time for you to decide what it is that you truly want to do….if you decided to continue down this path that you have chosen…I will no longer trouble you….but if there is still any hope in there of you returning to where you belong then come…we will be waiting…we will give you a warm welcome…” Junsu soften his expression with a smile before letting go of jaejoong’s hand and turn toward the door

“You…may not know this but the night before he passed…he had asked me to do something for him….he had asked me personally to watch after you…to take care of you….rather he be there or not…for me to never let you stray from the path you are meant to walk down because he love your voice…he love your cheerfulness…love the way you are able to shine and love the way you put everyone’s need before yours….I am trying to accomplish the task he have entrusted me with…so please don’t make me look bad in front of him from the heavens…”

With that being said Junsu exited the room leaving jaejoong alone with nothing but his thoughts. He looks at the flyer in his hand where the location, date and time is shown for the performance to honor the memory of their dear friend. He leans back against one of the desk and sigh before lifting his gaze to the ceiling

“My voice huh?”

Jaejoong recall the day his life took a drastic turn. It was an age of rebellion against his father for wishing him to follow his footstep like his brother and sister. Even though his mother didn’t care what he does with is life, she wouldn’t stop his father from trying to force him. Jaejoong on the other hand didn’t want to be a lawyer…he gets it that they are happy doing what they want to do but he too wish for that freedom to do what makes him happy. His father of course refuse to let him, they were constantly fighting against each other. There was never a moment of peace in the house when the both of them are inside. It had gotten into a point where jaejoong no longer wished to be there when his father is there. Instead of going home after school, he would go and wonder around, find places to hang until it is dark when he knows his father will be asleep. It was during one of those cold nights when he was sitting in the middle of the park by himself. Most people will find empty park at night creepy but he didn’t care, it was better than being at home. With music booming into his ear he didn’t care about the cold. What started as a simple hum turn into an all-out singing into the darken night where no one is around. He could sing his heart out. It was during the middle of his singing did he felt a hand touched his shoulder causing him to jump and quickly stood up in fear. All kind of things went through his head from gang members to unknown creatures of the dark.

Standing behind the bench is another young boy around his age wearing the exact same uniform has him. Before jaejoong could do or say anything, the young boy walked over to him, grabbed his hands and with a bright smile and asked “Will you be the main singer for a band I am putting together?!”

Jaejoong was taken aback by the brightness of this person and the way his eyes sparkles. He had never encountered anyone like this before.

“You will do it right?! Please do it! You have a special gift…a voice that can reach thousands of people”

Jaejoong yanked his hand away awkwardly feeling like this guy is suspicious “sorry…but I don’t plan to be a singer…”

“Why?”

Jaejoong couldn’t find an answer as to why he doesn’t want to be a singer. The other boy could tell jaejoong is one of those people who are still searching for their true calling in life. He is stills searching for what he wanted to do unsure if what he loves could become his future.

The young boy smiled warmly at jaejoong taking him off guard

“why don’t you just give it a try…singing that is…if you don’t like it…you are more than welcome to stop…But…to be honest…the minute you sing…it struck me deep inside…it moved me deeply… it will be such a waste not to let people hear that voice”

He never imagines that saying yes that night will tie his fate to this young man who had made his heart flatter with joy.

“Are you really looking down upon us from up there?” Jaejoong wondered.

Junsu walked through the hallway mumbling curse word to himself before spotting changmin walking toward him from the other direction. In his hand are two drinks as he lifted one up and with a smile he gestured to the courtyard for a little chat.

“Don’t you have class to attend?” Junsu asked as he sat down on the bench and took one of the drink

“It’s only a lecture…I can skip it since I’m already ahead of everyone…” changmin smiled

They stood there in silence before junsu broke the silence “sorry…about earlier… I have stepped out of line there…”

“It’s fine…don’t worry about it…more importantly…how have you been? It’s been about a year right since we last saw each other…”

Junsu nodded his head “A year seems like a long time and yet it didn’t even feel like a year had already passed…”

“Indeed…I was surprise to receive a phone call from you last year…” changmin paused “look junsu…I don’t want there to be any ill feeling between us…It wasn’t like I was lying to you but…I guess I should have contacted you when I realize jaejoong is also attending this college….but…when I meet jaejoong again…it was as if he changed…he had become a different person…he gives off this air of wanting to be alone…he was cold toward others….he doesn’t watch his mouth when he criticize people and created a bunch of hate from the other students….”

“You don’t have to explain it changmin ah…”

“I know but…it has become hard to approach him you know…he wasn’t like before where he will give you a warm welcoming smile even if he doesn’t know you…in the past a complete stranger will become comfortable with him right away…he makes people feel welcome….but now…there is like an invisible bubble preventing people from getting near him…even for me…So I just let him be and watch from afar…”

Junsu didn’t say anything as he took a drink from his soda

“It’s this weekend huh?” Changmin asked

“Yea…”

A cool wind blew pass them causing their hair to sway back in forth.

“It will officially be one year that he passed…” spoke Junsu sadly

Changmin smiled “don’t worry…whatever you have planned…he will come…no matter how much he have changed…he will never leave a friend hanging…”

“I hope you are right…”

The day went by without any more trouble as Yunho attended his lecture class that he shared with Jaejoong. When he arrived at the lecture room, he was relief to see that there weren’t that many students inside yet. The seat next to jaejoong is still open as he smiled before making his way there. He sat his bag down and pulled the chair before sitting down.

“Hey…” he smile nervously as jaejoong lifted his gaze to meet his

“hey…” was his only response before turning his attention back to the book in front of him

“You aren’t taking a nap today?” Yunho asked referring to the many occasion where jaejoong will be napping before class even start

“Midterm is coming up…I can’t take it easy anymore”

Yunho chuckled “you are right….I just hope I can pass this class…I’ll even accept a C-“

Jaejoong glanced at Yunho “I have been wondering this….what major are you?”

“huh? me? I’m going into accountant…”

“is that something you want to do or something your family want you to do?”

Yunho paused upon the question wondering why jaejoong would ask such a question out of the blue. He turn his gaze away from jaejoong and lower his head with a sadden smile “My family has nothing to do with my major choice….in fact they will never have a chance to take part in any of my decision…”

“why is that?”

Yunho pointed to the ceiling “both my parent are up there…”

Jaejoong was startled to hear that both Yunho’s parent is no longer alive “I’m…sorry…”

“It’s alright…don’t worry about it…”

Jaejoong paused for a moment before asking him another question “If…it was your family who wanted you to be an accountant but you wanted to do something else…which will you choose? What your family wants or what you want?”

“That’s such an easy question…it will be doing what I want of course…this is my life…they may have given birth to me but I am given the freedom to choose my future as much as they had the freedom to choose their…we only live once…why waste our time doing what people want and not what we want…”

Jaejoong didn’t say anymore as he became quiet. From his expression only, Yunho could guess that he is having a hard time deciding what he should do, what future should he choose.

“You know…” Yunho spoke “before my mother died….she had always say to me…If I ever get stuck in a fork road unsure which path to follow…just stand there…close my eyes…take a deep breath…Look at each path that has been laid out for you…imagine yourself in that path…are you smiling…if not then that isn’t the right one....” he smiled

Jaejoong look at Yunho a bit and he couldn’t tell if it was the sun from outside that is reflecting upon Yunho’s face or if it was just his imagination but Yunho seem to be shining so bright. It was enough to warm jaejoong’s heart that his lip curved into a smile.

“Your mom sound like a very wise and beautiful woman”

“Indeed she is…but do you know what is the most helpful thing in deciding our future?”

“What?”

Yunho smiled widely before pointing to his heart “This little guy here knows everything…”

Jaejoong suddenly had a flash back to his past of his deceased friend who used the exact same line with the exact same smile. This made him speechless as he turn away hoping to hide the smile on his face. Yunho on the other hand felt like maybe he had said something childish because jaejoong wouldn’t face him. Even after class started, jaejoong didn’t even look at him but only kept his gaze at the professor or the window. When the professor asked the students to take out their book to discuss chapter 4 Yunho panicked. He digs through his bag but couldn’t find his book. He wasn’t sure what to do when suddenly jaejoong slide his book over. Yunho glanced at the book between him and jaejoong before looking at the beautiful man who has yet to turn to face him. None the less this was a clear sign that he wasn’t hated by jaejoong.

Yunho smiled and wrote a message on his notebook before sliding it toward jaejoong.

‘Thank you’ was what he wrote as jaejoong also wrote a message in return saying ‘better remember your book next time; this isn’t going to happen again’. Yunho couldn’t help but smiled upon the message. For the rest of the class, they sat close to each other sharing one lecture book. In a room filled with so many students, Yunho can’t help but felt like they were alone in this room, in a world of their own.

When class was over, Yunho was trying to put his stuff away as he notice jaejoong stood up and started walking away. He tried to call out to him but he was too late as jaejoong exited the lecture room. He can’t help but feel disappointed as he cursed himself for being so slow for not being confident enough to reach out to jaejoong. Yunho lightly hit the side of his head for being slow as he put the last book into his back pack and swing it over his shoulder. The minute he turns around he spotted changmin standing by the door waving at him.

“Your class is done already?” Yunho asked

“Yea…we got done early…even the professor no longer desire to be there” he chuckled

They walked down the hallway talking and laughing before Changmin asked “how…are things with your eyes? Did it happen today?”

Yunho shook his head “no it didn’t…maybe it’s because I took those meds that the doctor give me. It could be preventing it from happening”

“Hmmm…it really makes me wonder how this happen or why this is happening….if you can’t bear it…can you just get another corneal transplant?”

Even though Yunho dislikes the pain, he also dislikes the fact that he won’t be seeing those beautiful images of the blonde man.

“I can’t…” he spoke “I don’t have any more money for another transplant”

“How about I help cover it and you just pay me back when you can…”

Yunho smile upon his offer but politely shook his head “no thanks…I’ll be fine…don’t worry about it…beside…”

“Beside what?”

Yunho recalled the last image he saw of the blonde man crying “I’m planning to search for this man…find out who he is…what is his relationship with this person that I received the cornea from…like you say…there must have been some unresolved issues between the two…maybe if I help resolve it the images will stop…”

“And you will have the real thing…” grin changmin as Yunho’s face flushed red as he joking hit changmin who took off running.

They end up running out into the street where the sky has started to reflect color of red and orange as a sign that the sun is setting. Feeling their stomach empty, they decided to stop by a nearby ramen shop for some dinner. Just the smell alone made Yunho’s stomach rumble.

“By the way…how are things with Jaejoong?” changmin asked upon remembering how Yunho wanted to be his friend

“I think I’m making progress…he was willing to share his book with me in class when I forgot mine back at the apartment…”

Changmin only look at Yunho a bit startled. For one thing, jaejoong was rumor to never help anyone and only care about himself. Could it be that Yunho is an especial exception?

“If that is the case then you won’t have any trouble becoming his friend…” said Changmin as he ate his ramen before slurping some delicious liquid.

“I hope so…”

“I still don’t know why you are so set on being friend with him when everyone else is avoiding him”

Yunho paused before a smile appear on his face “it could be that when I look at him…he seems…so lonely….when I see people avoid him, it makes me want to quickly go stand at his side….”

“so you are pitying him?”

“It’s not pity changmin ah….it’s hard to explain it but…it’s like something deep inside me is pushing me toward him…telling me to get close to him…become friends with him...the more I talk to him…the more I see him…the urge to want to know him grows stronger…”

“You are a strange guy…” smirk changmin as Yunho kicked his leg from under the table as he groaned in pain “but…” his lip curved into a soft smile “I’m glad it’s you…”

“huh? What do you mean?”

“If it’s you…I know jaejoong will welcome you…”

“What does that mean?”

Changmin sigh “just eat your ramen or it will become cold”

Yunho only raised an eyebrow at changmin before he started to eat his ramen. Changmin sat there and watched him with a smile feeling like maybe this might be faith. Just maybe Yunho might be able to help jaejoong and restore him to his normal self.

“Stop staring at me…it’s making me uncomfortable…”

“yes…yes…yes…just eat your ramen since you are treating…”

“Huh?! I thought you were?”

After a few hours, Jaejoong finally arrived home. He made it through the front door only to see his father about to head up stairs as their eyes meet. The expression on his father’s face was enough to tell him that he wasn’t pleased with how late jaejoong is coming home.

“Midterm is coming up…don’t you think it’s about time you stop playing around and start getting serious? How do you expect to even become a lawyer with that kind of behavior? When I was your age I spent all my time studying…I didn’t go out to play like you…”

“Well…I’m not you remember” grin jaejoong as he walked pass his father

“Don’t disappoint me anymore then you already have…”

Jaejoong didn’t say anything as he made his way up the stairs and enter his room before closing the door. Once he is in the comfort of his room, he felt like he could breathe again. Jaejoong put his bag down before walking over to his bed and lay down. The softness of his bed against his tired back felted good. He closed his eyes and relaxed his mind, blocking out everything in this world that is annoying him.

*Flash back*

“before my mother died….she had always say to me…If I ever get stuck in a fork road unsure which path to follow…just stand there…close my eyes…take a deep breath…Look at each path that has been laid out for you…imagine yourself in that path…are you smiling…if not then that isn’t the right one....” said Yunho

*End of flash back*

Jaejoong open his eyes upon remembering those words that Yunho had spoken. He imagines the future of him being a lawyer standing next to his family. They were all smiling and yet he wasn’t.

*flash back*

“God I just hate my father! He always sprouts bull about me becoming a lawyer just like him!” Jaejoong shouted

A young man who was playing the guitar paused “well…what is it that you wanted to do?”

Jaejoong turn toward him “I want to sing…I want to pursue music…but…”

“You are conflicted by what you want and what your family want”

Jaejoong didn’t response but only nodded his head

“Do you know what can help you decide?”

“What?”

The young man pointed to his heart “This little guy here knows everything…” he smiled “just let it lead you…let it make the decision…and you will be alright…everything will be alright…”

*End of flash back*

Jaejoong sat up and digs into his pocket before taking out the piece of paper Junsu had given him. He then turns his attention to the calendar on his wall where a red marker is circled on a specific date. It was the same date that is written on this piece of paper when the band was to perform.

“A year…it’s really going to be a year…” thought jaejoong sadly as if he is still in disbelief that a whole year had passed since that important person in his life has left this world.

Two more days has passed as the day of the performance came closer. Junsu and the others were preparing the place for their performance the next days. They were practicing endlessly making sure it was perfect. They checked the sound, the visual effects and their instruments. Everyone was giving it their best because the upcoming performance night will be a night to remember, a night to honor the person who brought them together, the person who made their dream a little closer. Even without a singer, they still did their part with the music the best they could. Junsu could be seen playing the bass guitar with his bandmates, playing with passion and joy. After they finished practicing, everyone was satisfied with how it sounded. Just then they heard clapping echoing into the room drawing everyone’s attention. A group of guys have entered and base on the angry look on Junsu’s face, there were not welcome here.

“That sounded okay...not the best…but it is lacking something important…something that every band needs…what was it again?” the taller guy spoke “Ahh…yes…it is missing a singer…” he grinned as a way to insult them.

“What are you doing here?” junsu asked as he stepped forward

“I just wanted to check out the band that’s all…it has been a year since we last heard of you guys…to know that you will be returning for a special event got me interested…so here I am…but…I heard an interesting news…I heard that without a singer…you guys will still perform…how do you expect to engage the audience with a voiceless songs”

“What we do have nothing to do with you so leave?” Junsu glared

“Now…now…don’t be giving me that look…I was being nice and came all the way here to offer you a help…I can lend you…our lead singer…given our old times…he can give your band the spice you need to reach the audience”

“no thanks…with or without a singer we will go on with the show…”

“aren’t you quick to decline the offer…but are you sure? From the look of it, you guys are lacking at almost everything…the only thing that is good about you guys was your singer…without him…you mind as well kiss the performance goodbye because you guys sound like crap…”

This was starting to pisst off Junsu as he went up to the guy and grab him by the collar of his shirt. The friends that came with him was going to get involve but he stopped them.

“You are as brave as ever…being so short you sure do have a lot of courage” the guy grin before pushing Junsu away and taking his bass guitar

“GIVE IT BACK!” junsu shouted as he attempted to get his guitar but the guy’s friends stopped him by blocking his path

“My..my…this is a very well designed bass guitar…I guess rich kids could get their hand on anything…but something this beautiful shouldn’t be played by such a horrible player…” the guy started to play on Junsu’s guitar

“Stop it! stop touching it! it was a gift from a dear friend!” Junsu shouted as he once again tried to get his guitar back but the others held him back

The other guy stop playing as he look at Junsu’s disparate expression and grinned “You know what I think…this guitar…belongs to a more befitting player…someone would could put it to use…someone who could play it beautifully…ah..I know…me”

“no…! no! Give it back!” junsu shouted

The other guy however wasn’t going to give it back as he started to chuckle “if you refuse to give it to me then…I guess…neither of us will get it…”

Junsu watch in horror as the guy grinned before tossing the guitar into the air with brute force. Junsu managed to get through the people that was holding him back as he tried to reach for his guitar. The other guy also went for the guitar knowing he could reach it before Junsu. He wanted to see that look on junsu’s face when he gets the guitar first. Suddenly he felt someone went pass him as he jumped into the air and grabbed the guitar before landing on the ground. This guy quickly turns around and punched the other guy on the face sending him tumbling to the ground. This took everyone by surprise as the entire room became quiet and still. The person who just came in stood over the other guy and looms over him while holding onto Junsu’s guitar. He wore a dark brown sweater with a hood over his head covering his face.

“Who...who are you?!” the other guy demanded as he felt his cheek aching from the sudden punch

“You never changed…still a as always” came the familiar voice

“Just who are you?”

The guy slowly reached for his hood and started to slide it down as strands of blonde hair could be seen. Once the hood has been pulled down to reveal his face, all the people there became shock even Junsu whose eyes grew as big as it could.

“I’m their lead singer….” He grinned

Yunho sat in the middle of his living room with his laptop on the coffee table and a few books spread out around him. He was busy doing research for a project he was doing for one of his class when he yawned. After researching for a few hours he finally paused and stretch before looking at his laptop. An image of the blonde guy he previous saw smiling flashed before his eyes. He started to type on the laptop hoping to find any clue about this singer that he keeps seeing rather it’s on social media or other website.