Chapter 13

Beautiful Eyes

I love it when i'm able to update 3 chapters in one week!! It makes me excited and i bet you guys are also as happy as I am :)...anyway only 7 chapters left....Please upvote and subscribe to let me know if this story is a hit or a miss :)

_______________________________________________

 

Yunho reached to touch the bandage around his eyes reminding him of the past.

"Don’t look..." Yunho mumbled bitterly "please don't look...don't look at me jaejoong ah...I must look very pitiful right now..."

Changmin turn toward jaejoong who still had on a shock expression. Now that he thinks about it, this is probably the first time jaejoong see this side of Yunho. He was about to step forward but jaejoong beats him to it. Changmin wasn't sure what jaejoong is going to do or what he is going to say which makes him very nervous.

Jaejoong limped toward Yunho and bends down staring at him. His felt his heart very heavy as his chest tightens to see the man whom brought light back to his world to be ed into darkness. Everyone in the bathroom watched as Jaejoong flicked Yunho on the forehead very hard as they all gasped.

"Who is pitiful? You? don't flatter yourself Yunho...for someone who always help others...who always smiles and never hold grudges...you can never be pitiful..." jaejoong smiled before placing his hand upon Yunho’s head “don’t worry…everything will be alright…”

Yunho was taken to see the doctor shortly afterward to find out what happen. All the tests that were done were checked out okay and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him either. Even though he just had a cornea transplant last year, his eyes was working perfectly. It doesn’t seem like his body is rejecting the new cornea, if it were to reject it, it would have been sooner than later. Even Yunho’s vision had return however the one thing the doctor is concern about is the redness. When yunho first came in and the bandage was removed, the doctor was startled to see how red his eyes were. The entire sclera part of the eyes was in deep red that it was kind of scary. Luckily the redness has started to reduce and his eyes were starting to return to normal. However the redness has yet to disappear completely. The doctor prescribed some medication and special eye drop for yunho hoping it was will reduce the redness. After talking to the doctor for a bit more Yunho was given the permission to go home but he is due back in a week as a follow up checkup.

Yunho exited the doctor office and made his way toward the lobby. Waiting for him was changmin and jaejoong. Hoping not to worry them anymore then he had already did, he quickly put his sunglass on before making his way to them. Upon seeing Yunho, changmin and jaejoong stood up.

“What did the doctor say?” Changmin asked

“He say that it could be bacterial infection from recently having a cornea transplant…he gives me some meds and eye drop…” he lied not wanting to mention that even the doctor was clueless.

“Are you…able to see now?” jaejoong asked

Yunho nodded his head “yea…my vision is back…everything is back to normal…even the burning sensation has disappeared…”

Jaejoong sigh in relief “how are you feeling? You okay?”

Yunho lower his gaze “to be honest…it frightened me…I had never experienced anything like that before…to suddenly have everything around me go completely black while feeling this pain was scary…it made me wonder how I was able to do it in the first place…to live my life in darkness…just having everything go black for a few hours had me in a panic making me unable to breath…”

Jaejoong look at Yunho with sadness. He can’t help but feel like he should have been there for Yunho. He knew something could have been wrong when Yunho didn’t return from his bathroom trip but he didn’t act on his instinct.

“I’m sorry I made you two worried…” he apologizes

“You shouldn’t apologized Yunho…” said changmin “it was unexpected after all…I’m just glad you are okay…”

They made their way to changmin’s car as they drop jaejoong off first. Even though Yunho just went through a terrifying ordeal, he still makes sure to carefully help jaejoong. Yunho opened the umbrella and went to open the door for him and reach out his hand to pull him out of the car. Yunho even grab jaejoong’s backpack and his crutches before giving it to him. Changmin sat in the car watching the entire scene and couldn’t believe how little Yunho pay attention to himself. Rather than being shaken up, he is moving around making sure jaejoong make it to the front door without any trouble and as dry as possible.

“I guess…this is what love does to a person…” thought changmin as he sighs

Yunho walked with jaejoong until they got to the front door “be careful going up the stairs…make sure not to bang your ankle okay”

Jaejoong look at Yunho who is smiling at him as if nothing is wrong as if what happens earlier wasn’t anything to worry about. He understands that Yunho doesn’t want him to worry but by not saying anything, by pretending everything is okay makes jaejoong worry even more. The fact that Yunho didn’t remove his sunglass makes him wonder what Yunho could possibly be hiding.

“Jaejoong?” Yunho called his name after seeing how jaejoong has not moved or spoke a word “what’s wrong?”

Without a word, jaejoong reached for the sunglass which Yunho quickly stopped him by grabbing his hand

“Why won’t you let me see?”

Yunho lower his gaze and smiled sadly “it has become ugly and scary looking…I don’t…want you to see such a thing…”

Rather than be touch by the fact that Yunho was thinking about him, it only made jaejoong angrier. He yanked his hand away from Yunho’s grasp and pulled the sunglass away from Yunho’s face startling him. Upon feeling the sunglass being taken away, Yunho quickly shut his eyes tightly which only disappointed jaejoong even more. At this point jaejoong wanted to just punch Yunho but he kept it in. Yunho only stood there unsure what to say or what jaejoong is going to do. He was expecting jaejoong to walk into the house and close to door on him in anger. But when he felt a soft warm hand touched his cheek he unconsciously opened his eyes.

The first thing he sees was the worried expression reflected on jaejoong’s face.

“It’s…terrifying isn’t it?” Yunho asked

Jaejoong shook his head and smiled “nothing about you is terrifying…these pairs of eyes is not scary nor are they ugly…the redness actually brings out the deep brown of your iris…it’s beautiful…” he retreated his hand from Yunho’s cheek before giving the sunglasses back to him

“I was hoping to not make you wear such an expression…but at the end I failed…”

Jaejoong sigh “Yunho…to wear the expression of worry is normal…it shows how much we care about the other person…if I were to only smile when you are in pain wouldn’t be right…”

After spending a few seconds thinking about it Yunho smiled “I guess you are right about that...”

“Are you sure you are okay?” jaejoong asked once more to confirm

“Yea…I’m fine…other than the redness…my vision is back to normal…”

“That’s good…going forward I do not want you to hide anything from me alright? We are friends now…I expect you to be honest with me as much as I’ll be honest with you…”

“Okay…”

Jaejoong smiled at Yunho once more before waving good bye and entered the house. Yunho stood there a bit remembering the smile on jaejoong’s face and how much he is worried about him. Just this thought alone made him extremely happy even though the way jaejoong feels toward him and the way he feels toward him is different. Yunho return to the car with a big wide smile upon his face causing changmin to raise an eyebrow.

“Why are you smiling so annoyingly…?” changmin asked

“It’s nothing…” said Yunho

“You…should be more concern about yourself Yunho…what you went through isn’t a little accident that won’t happen again…” said changmin in a serious tone of voice that the happy mood in Yunho disappears as his smile faded

“I know…”

Neither of them says anything as the sound of rain echoed in the car. Changmin pulled the car from the curve and drove down the street. Once at Yunho’s apartment changmin sat down on the couch as Yunho went to get change. Changmin could see the little blue box sitting on the table as he picks it up and started to look at it. It reminded him of the little ring that now sits in secret on his desk sandwiched between books.

“do you want anything to drink?” Yunho asked as he walked into the kitchen

“Just water…” changmin responded “Yunho…”

“Yea…”

“Did you….open this box yet?” he asked

Yunho grabbed a bottle of water and went into the living room before handing it to changmin

“no I haven’t…”

“Aren’t you curious as to what is inside?”

“I am…I really do want to open it but…I keep feeling like it wasn’t my right to open it…I was thinking maybe I’ll give it to jaejoong…” said Yunho

Changmin sat there in silence

*flash back to when they went to the hospital for Jaejoong’s sprained ankle*

Yunho and the others were with jaejoong while changmin had gone to the bathroom to take a leek. Once he finished and exited he walked down the hallway toward the area where the others were. However he paused at the door and looked inside. He could see how worried Yunho was over Jaejoong’s ankle. There was nothing but love reflected in those eyes of his as changmin took out the little blue box still stuffed into his sweater pocket. He wondered what he should do. If Yunho see the ring and see the engraving, Yunho will be crushed as much as jaejoong could knowing that Geun Suk also loved him and that this whole time it wasn’t a one sided love. He debated for a few minutes what to do as he looks at the pairs in front of him.

Rather than putting the ring back into the box, he kept it inside his pocket as he took out a little group picture that they took long ago out of his wallet. He looks at the picture before folding it and sticking it into the box. Even though this box holds a confession of love for jaejoong, it will now hold the answer to Yunho’s question. Once he sees this picture, he will know the truth of whom his new cornea belong to. How he will react is unsure, changmin just pray that once Yunho open this box, he will still be able to keep his mind stable.

“Sorry Geun suk ah….I hopes you won’t hate me for doing this…” he mumbled these words to himself before pushing the door open and joined the others

*End of flash back*

“And why would you think that?” changmin asked

“Whatever is in there is for him...”

“I don’t see anything written on here saying that it’s for him?”

Yunho only smiled “I know…but base on the images I saw…I get his feeling that this box was meant for him…I’m still unclear as to what the connection is with my donor to jaejoong…rather they were friends or not is unclear but…this person buried this box hoping to have jaejoong dig it up…almost like a treasure hunt…things like this is pretty common among the younger generation…”

Changmin didn’t say anything at first as he continues to look at the old worn out blue box “You…really don’t want to see what is inside? What if it’s the answer to all your questions?”

Yunho paused and started to think “rather it’s something that could answer all my questions…I still would rather Jaejoong see it first…if he wanted me to see it too then I’ll see it at that time but not now…”

Changmin placed the box back down on the table “You are indeed an idiot…”

“Oi…don’t call me an idiot…”

Changmin turn to face Yunho with a serious look on his face “What about those images you just saw? Don’t tell me you didn’t see anything when your eyes started burning…you must have seen something…”

Yunho paused as he recalls those images that continue to replay before his eyes like a video clip on repeat. Just remembering them sends a chill throughout his body. Compare to the other images he have seen in the past, these were darker; it has a more heavy feeling to it. What makes these images different from the others is that jaejoong was not part of it. These images were a scene of this person being away from jaejoong, alone on a raining night and on a darken street that barely have people. What he couldn’t figure out was the dark figure on the last image. It was dark that he could barely make out the person’s face.

“I think…” Yunho spoke after a few minutes of silence as he put his thoughts together “I…think…the person I inherited the cornea from was killed…”

Changmin was startled to hear as he felt nervous “what…do you mean killed? What makes you think that?”

“I saw a dark raining day…I saw the reflection of this person these cornea originally belonged to…I also see a vision of red and then a person…possible a man…looming over me as if I was lying on the floor staring up into the sky….”

“A man?! How did he look like?! Was he tall? Is he short? Does he have long hair or short hair?! Was he old or young?!” Changmin asked with a serious and desperate look on his face making Yunho wonder why he is so interested in this figure.

“I…can’t tell…”

“what do you mean you can’t tell? You say you saw him?”

“No…I say I saw a person…but I couldn’t see his face…the rain…the redness…the bright light to the side was making it impossible to see this person’s face…”

Changmin look at Yunho in disbelief as he let out a long sigh

“Why are you so interested in this person?” Yunho asked

Changmin didn’t respond at first as he leans back against the couch and lean his head back “it’s nothing…I’m just curious…it’s like a scene out of a mystery movie...being given clues and having to solve a murder case…” he grinned

“You watch too much movie…” said Yunho as he drinks from his water

“The images aside…your eyes are really red…”

“I know…”

“Can you explain to me what exactly happen in the bathroom? How it all started?”

“it wasn’t anything out of the normal…I went to do my business…went to wash my hand…look at my reflection and think about how I had embarrassed jaejoong…I was just thinking about apologizing to him when I get back to you guys when suddenly my vision blurred. Everything went black as these images started to appear…it’s like…every time it replay…the pain got more intense until I feel like my eyes is on fire….it was so intense that I could barely speak, my body trembled under such pain…even after the images stopped I still couldn’t see…my eyes was still burning…when help arrived, they try to help but there wasn’t anything they could do…they just place something cold up against my eyes and wrap a bandage around my eyes to keep them in place hoping the coldness will numb the burning pain”

Changmin look at Yunho full of concern worrying that maybe this is getting worst. He fear that one day Yunho will end up going blind once again.

“Yunho…lets have those cornea replace…” he suggested

“why?”

“why? Are you really asking me why? Can’t you already see that what you are going through is not normal? Even the doctor is clueless…to prevent any more of this happening…we should replace those corneas as soon as possible…I will even pay for the operation…At first you say you fell in love with the images of the blonde man…but now that you have befriended the blonde man who is jaejoong…you wouldn’t need to see those images anymore right? There is no use to them anymore so let have it remove…”

What changmin just said does make sense; the only reason why he didn’t want to replace the cornea is because he didn’t want to lose the sight of those images of the blonde man. But now that the blonde man has become his friend, there wouldn’t be any reason to keep these corneas anymore. He could have them replace and completely cure of this strange phenomenon. However there was this feeling deep inside him telling him to wait. It’s like a mystery that needs to be solved and Yunho was given the task of solving it. There were still so many questions that still need to be answer that he wants to know. For one thing he want to know who this person is that he inherited the cornea from, what was his relation to jaejoong, and most importantly, was this person killed? If so how? Why? Did the killer get arrested? Or was this an unsolved case that this dead person wants Yunho to find the killer?

“I don’t want to replace it yet” spoke Yunho

Changmin was going to say something when his phone started to ring. Yunho advised for him to answer it first and they can continue their conversation later. Changmin stood up and headed to Yunho’s bedroom before answering the call.

“What is it?” changmin asked a bit irritated for this phone call came at such a bad time.

“What’s with that tone of voice” came junsu’s voice

He sigh “sorry…”

“You texted me that Yunho was in the hospital…what happen?”

“nothing really…his eyes was hurting really bad so he had to go and get some test done..”

“and the result?”

“Nothing is wrong…his eyes are working like normal…”

“Did his vision get affected?”

“No...his vision is fine as well…the only thing is his eyes is still a bit red…that’s about it…”

Junsu let out a sign of relief “that’s good…” he paused a bit before asking “did he…see more images?”

Changmin took a seat on Yunho’s bed “yea…he did…”

“and what were they?”

Changmin didn’t say anything at first as he tried to gather his thoughts and calm his panicking mind “Junsu…it’s like how you said it…Yunho saw it…”

“saw it? saw what?”

“Geun suk’s…death…”

Junsu paused as an expression of shock reflected upon his face. The cup of tea he was pouring overflowed as the liquid flowed onto the counter.

“!” he cursed before taking a towel and wiping the liquid “what do you mean he saw Geun suk’s death?”

“He saw images of that night…he say he saw a dark raining night…he saw Geun suk’s reflection on a glass window…a vision of red and a dark figure looming over him….if I recall correctly it was raining heavily that night as well..”

Junsu paused a bit as he took a seat on a stool by the counter in the kitchen “it was like a scene out of a movie….There was the heavy rain…the bright redness upon the ground which he laid on as his life faded away…the flowers he was carrying fell all over him surrounding the ground in beautiful pink and white….”

Changmin was quiet as he remembers the night he received the phone call about Geun suk’s death. At that time it was hard for him to stomach as much as the others.

“Even now…when I think about it…I shouldn’t have advised him to go buy flowers…” Junsu spoke with endless guilt “After jaejoong and him argued he was in distress mode…he didn’t know what to do…he called me for advice…I told him to buy jaejoong’s favorite flowers and apologize to him…I didn’t think he will do it right away…I was expecting him to do it the next morning…”

“His death leaves behind a lot of mix emotion…to make it worst…the driver who hit him that night was never caught and brought to justice…he was left for dead on an empty dark street…all alone…just imagining it is hard…”said changmin

“I heard that the driver must be going beyond the speed limit to cause that much damage on Geun suk body…there were bruises and cuts everywhere…numerous broken bone as well…the impact must have caused him to smashed against the front window and flew over the car before hitting the ground….there were broken glasses stuck to his skin that had to be removed…”

Changmin and Junsu became quiet wondering how long it’s been since they last thought about Geun suk’s death.

“I’m thinking…of having Yunho replace the cornea…remove Geun suk’s cornea completely…”

Junsu paused a bit before speaking “are you sure changmin ah? The driver who killed Geun suk was never found…if Yunho stated that he saw a dark figure looms over him that means the driver must have exited his car to look at Geun suk before getting back into his car and driving away…what if Geun suk’s cornea holds the key to finding the driver? If you have it remove, wouldn’t we lose the only clue we have?”

Changmin became quiet as he started to think. Even though junsu does have a point, he can’t stand the fact that these images…these vision has started to affect Yunho and his vision. What took place today was a clear sign of it.

“What did Yunho say? Did you ask him about removing it?”

“He didn’t want to…”

“Then you shouldn’t force him to…”

“I know…it’s just…I’m worry about him…I worried that this might affect him mentally….even though I know that these images might lead us to the driver who killed Geun suk…at the same time I don’t want Yunho to be forced to witness it.....I don’t want him to see Geun suk’s last moments…”

“I understand you…believe me I do…but…Geun suk deserve justice…he deserve to rest in peace…we can’t give him that with the little info that the police was able to obtain…the real lead to finding that driver lies within Yunho…It could be that this is what Geun suk wanted as well that’s why Yunho was able to see these images…”

“Is it right to sacrifice Yunho’s mentality….force him through pain to find justice for Geun suk?”

“Changmin ah….Yunho was not forced…he made his choice not to have it remove…he probably also know that something happen that night and that he might be the only one who could find the answer and that is through these images alone….he may be slow but he isn’t stupid…what other reason would he want to keep those corneas if it was affecting his vision…”

Changmin didn’t say anything as Junsu continue “It’s time for you to stop worrying about him…”

“I know…I know…I just hope…that there is a happy ending to this and not leave everyone torn” he spoke as he turns his gaze to the raging storm outside.

Yunho on the other hand stood in the living room staring out the glass balcony door toward the city in front of him. It was raining harder as the wind got stronger. Lightning and thunder could he heard and seen from the sky above. He couldn’t help but think about those images that kept replaying over and over before his eyes. Yunho wondered exactly what happen to this man whose cornea gives him a second chance at sight.

Lightening flashed bringing a bit of light into the living room as the sound of rain falls echoed into the apartment as Yunho closed his eyes allowing his mind to wonder. He tries to recall every single image that he had seen from the very beginning until now. From the look of it, this person must have been a cheerful person whose life was starting to take off. Every happy moments were with jaejoong…everyone sadden moments were with jaejoong….even moment of anger and guilt were with him. He lived his life surrounded by someone as bright as jaejoong up until his last moment which was surrounded by darkness. He gets this feeling like something must have happen between jaejoong and help leaving him to be alone at night.

“Yunho…” came changmin’s voice as he finished the phone call and exited the bedroom “I’m heading home before it gets worst…”

“are you sure? You can stay here overnight”

“Thanks but I still have a project to finish up…I’ll just see you tomorrow at school”

“alright…make sure to drive safe…”

“I well…just take care of your eyes…make sure to take your meds and use the eye drop…”

“I will…”

Changmin looked at Yunho once more looking directly into his eyes before tearing away his gaze as he left the apartment. Yunho closed the door and sigh as he returned to the living room. He walked to the couch and flopped himself down face down first. He slightly turns his head toward the coffee table and look at the little blue box as an Image of jaejoong smiling appear in his mind. Lightening flashed outside as the light entered the apartment. He closed his eyes and before he knew it, sleep took over.

Meanwhile jaejoong is in his room sitting on his desk doing his homework. The sound of thunders was so loud that it captured his attention as he turns his gaze from the book in front of him to the window. The splashing of rain against the window was hard and loud shaking the piece of glass endlessly as if it wants to badly come inside. He can’t help but wonder if Yunho is doing okay. He turns his gaze toward his cell phone and picks it up. He opened his contacts and debated rather he should call him or not. What if he is disturbing Yunho’s study again? After debating for a few minutes he figure it’s best to just text him. Once the text has been written, he sent it and sat his phone down. Even after an hour has passed there wasn’t any response. He turns his gaze toward the clock and it’s already a quarter after 10. He wondered if Yunho had gone to bed already.

Jaejoong sat by his desk as he remembered what happen today. He wasn’t sure what to expect when he followed a panic changmin toward the men’s bathroom. What he saw wasn’t what he was expecting at all. To see Yunho sit there hunched over with bandages covering his eyes was a heart breaking scene. He had only heard about Yunho from other students talking about a blind student who had gone through a cornea transplant. Jaejoong had only met him and talk to him when he had already regain his vision. To see him sit there knowing he couldn’t see at all made jaejoong’s chest hurt. He wasn’t even sure what went through his head at that time, it was as if everything went blank. When Yunho spoke those sadden words, it made his heart hurt even more. He wasn’t sure what to say or what to do when Yunho spoke his name. He did the only thing he could think of by assuring Yunho that everything will be okay even though he himself wasn’t sure if it will be okay. At the end jaejoong was relief to know that Yunho’s vision has return to normal but seeing how red his eyes was is also heart breaking. This was the same man who helped him, shine a bit of light back into his life. Through his words of encouragement Yunho was able to bring him out of his protective shell, help him make an important decision of letting go of the past and moving forward to the future. He was the same guy who smiled as bright as the sun and continues to smile no matter what happen. He was cheerful, friendly and comfortable to be with. And yet he was put through such a painful experience that even jaejoong wasn’t able to help him with.

He could tell this wasn’t the first time Yunho had gone through this. The last time he saw Yunho went through pain was back at the convenient store. But now he wondered how often this happen, was Yunho hiding his pain to help jaejoong overcome his? The way changmin reacted when that girl told them what was happening was a clear sign that this wasn’t the first or second time. Even though he knows that Yunho and changmin goes way back and has been friends for a while, he can’t help but get a bit irritated knowing that changmin knows more about Yunho then he does.

Upon this thought jaejoong shook his head “no…I can’t think like that…being friend with Yunho for so long of course he would know more than I do…” he thought to himself “why am I even being irritated over this…it’s as if…as if I was jealous of changmin?” Jaejoong paused upon this thought a bit surprise that the word Jealousy came into mind, but why? Why would he be jealous of changmin? Now that he thinks about, how did Yunho become blind? Was he born this way or did something happen in the past?

As the storm continued, Yunho still slept soundlessly on the couch as if the thunder and lightning wasn’t anything to disrupt his slumber. He slightly turns moving his leg as it knocked over the little blue box. It fell off the table and hit the floor. The impact was enough to unlock the cover as it opened. A little folded picture came out. It was a group picture of everyone and in the middle of the group is Geun Suk with his arm around Jaejoong’s neck as they both smiled widely and full of joy. On the back of the picture, their names were written including Jang Geun Suk.

Changmin removed his glasses and messaged the corner of his eyes before hearing the thunder outside. He turns his gaze from his laptop to the storm outside as the howling of the wind shook the glass window along with the splashing of rain. Sitting on his desk is the box where the silver ring has sat since the trip to the sunflower field. The rain storm outside was uneasy as it also made changmin feel uneasy about everything that has taken place to far. He worried for what is to come. It’s like they are reaching the of a movie where all the hidden secrets, all the truth is about to be revealed.

Junsu stood by the glass door drinking his warm coffee also staring out into the darken sky above with the same uneasy expression as changmin. He recalled the conversation he had with him over the phone a few hours ago and it has not left his mind. The thought of finally having some clues to catch the person who left Geun suk for dead weighed heavily on his mind. He wondered if the decision they are making is right? He just hoped that another terrible outcome will not happen.

The shaking of the window to Yoochun’s study room snapped him out of his thoughts as he also turns his gaze toward the window.

“What’s wrong?” his secretary asked

“It’s nothing…” spoke Yoochun as he returns his gaze to the documents in front of him

“By the way…the task you asked me to do has been completed…” said the secretary as he placed a manila folder in front of Yoochun “All the information you wanted to know is in here….however I do wonder why you will request such information…you don’t usually take interest in others unless they have a talent you want…but this guy is pretty normal…”

Yoochun recalls back to the sunflower field. Just seeing how Yunho carried jaejoong on his back, how they smiled and chatting together made Yoochun irritated. Since then he can’t help but wonder what kind of person is Yunho.

“Thank you for your hard work, you can go home for the day” said Yoochun without even answering his secretary’s question

The secretary left as Yoochun turn his attention to the folder. He opens it and the first thing he sees is a picture of Yunho clipped to the side of the documents. Just then thunder roared as he turn his gaze back to the window