chapter 2

Beautiful Eyes

The sound of alarm clock went off echoing throughout the entire bedroom bouncing off of walls toward the sleeping figure on the cold hard wooden floor. It took a few minutes before Yunho was able to pull himself up and reached over to the night stand. He turns off the alarm but only sat there still in a daze. The clothes he worn last night to the group date was still clinging tightly to his body while his hair is a complete mess. At this point Yunho realize he had slept on the floor rather than his bed. How he got home was something he couldn’t remember. In fact now that he thinks about it, he couldn’t remember anything that happens after he returned to the karaoke room. He knows he end up drinking more then he could handle but he never thought that he will actually past out.

 Yunho tried his best to remember but every time he did he felt his head aching. Rather than trying to remember Yunho decided it’s best to leave it alone. If it was something he is supposed to remember he wouldn’t have forgotten. If he did do something stupid and crazy, it’s best to leave it as it is. He stood up and wobbled toward the door. He only managed to open it before coming face to face with the woman he was paired with last night. She was startled upon his sudden presence and did what she could to prevent the hot coffee in her hand from spilling onto him.

“G-good morning Yunho…” she greeted him

 He looked at her from head to toe and notice her wearing one of his shirt with nothing but her under garment. From the look of it, she must have slept here last night.

“I made some fresh coffee” she flashed him a smile

It took Yunho a  minute to register what is happening right now before feeling like the food he ate last night is about to make their escape. He rushed toward the bathroom and started to puke. It was a feeling he had wished never to feel again but he let down his guard.

“Are you okay?” She asked him with worry reflected upon her face

“I’m…I’m fine…” was his only response

After spending a few gruesome minutes bending over the toilet puking everything from his stomach, he finally walked out of the bathroom wiping his mouth. The woman had already made herself comfortable in the kitchen as the sound of her making breakfast echoed.

“How do you like your eggs?” She asked

Even though Yunho wanted to chase her out he couldn’t find the energy to do so. The pounding in his head was more then he could handle and the sound of pans and plates was not helping.

“Doesn’t matter…” spoke Yunho before sitting down and resting his forehead upon his hand feeling the overwhelming hang over “What…exactly happen last night?”

“eh? You don’t remember?”

“Yea…”

She smiled widely “Everyone was having so much fun…we were drinking...singing…eating and a lot of chatting…it’s been a while since I last had so much fun…at first you were stiff and looked like you weren’t enjoying yourself but after a few drinks in…you started to let loose…You were singing and acting like an idiot with the others….”

“What happen afterward?”

“hmmm….after the place closed….we split…you invited me to come to your apartment so I did…”

Yunho twitched upon the mention of her coming to his apartment. Usually scenarios like this after a group date only means that is to come afterward. “We…didn’t…do anything did we?” he asked nervously hoping the answer is no

Just looking at his serious expression made her wanted to “of course we did…you were such a beast…I never expected you to be so damn good…it made me go crazy…I lost track of how many times we did it…you even suggested all kind of plays and positions…I….”

“Enough!” Yunho stopped her “I…don’t want to hear anymore…” he sigh

The woman paused before the sound of chuckle echoed throughout the kitchen startling Yunho “Have anyone ever told you that you are gullible?” she smiled before putting the eggs into the hot pan “we did kissed and that is as far as we went before you puked all over me and past out cold…”

Yunho mentally beat himself for doing such a thing. He should have more control when it comes to drinking. Because he didn’t, he had allowed such an embarrassing scene to take place.

“By the way…who is Eun Seo? You were mumbling her name in your sleep”

This took Yunho by surprise, to think that after a year he still couldn’t forget her.

“It’s no one important…”

The woman glanced at Yunho’s bitter expression and figure that must have been his ex-girlfriend. Judging by the expression, she must have broken his heart.

After the eggs are ready, she placed it onto a plate along with two piece of toast. She had even made some sausage before placing the cup of coffee onto the table. She removed her apron and set it aside.

“You know…I have asked you a question last night and your answer is probably the most honest answer you had ever given me?”

“What did you ask?”

“I asked rather you will consider me as your lover….” She smile brightly

Yunho became quiet as she continues “the look on your face was painful mixed in with bitterness and sadness…it was a well-blended cocktail of emotions…You looked directly at me and said…Will you still love me even though I don’t love you? Will you be able to continue a relationship when only one person is being truthful…only one person is giving his or her all?...how could such a relationship survive when it did not start in mutuality between the two people but instead started in a moment of curiosity and attraction without any true love attached….would you really want to put yourself through pain…through disappointment…through sadness and tears?” she paused a bit before continuing “you told me not to love so easily…not to be moved so quick…not to give out my heart to anyone who catches my eyes....I need to take care of myself more…think harder rather a relationship with the partner of my choice is worth my sacrifices and smile….that...is probably the nicest thing anyone had ever said to me…” she walked over to Yunho “although last night I was ready to make you mind…I was set on making you fall for me but after being told that…I don’t think this will be healthy for either of us…beside….trying to love a man who has yet to recover from his pain is a challenge I’m not ready to face…but…I did have fun last night Yunho shhi…if you ever needed a friend to talk to…call me up”

With that being said she put on her clothes that has been washed and dried before walking toward the front door “You were blind when you thought you had found love….you were put in a unfair position not being able to see what lies in front of you…not being able to see the evil within the other person….but now…with those eyes…you are given a second chance to see not just the world around you…but also see the love that surrounds you…our eyes…is probably the most beautiful thing on our body allowing us to even see what doesn’t have a physically form...since you give me a piece of advice…I’ll give you one as well…don’t continue to carry that painful burden of fake love…instead let it go and truly open your eyes because you never know when true love will appear in front of you…”

She exited the apartment and closed the door leaving Yunho behind whose face has flushed red of embarrassment. First he acted like an idiot…saying such things to her…invited her to his apartment only to puke on her and now being lectured on love. To even be able to say all those things wasn’t like him at all. The alcohol must have brought out his true feeling and his mouth moved on its own. Yunho let out a heavy sigh before scooping some eggs into his mouth and end up puking it out before staring at the eggs like something dangerous has been placed in it as revenge.

“How…could something as simple as scramble eggs tasted so bad?” he thought to himself.

As his hang over subsided, Yunho wash up and got ready to meet changmin and the others at the usual hang out during the weekends. As he got closer to the building, he could hear the sound of music pouring out into the street as people glanced down the stairs that leads to a rented music room. He descended the stairs and pushes open the glass door. He spotted changmin not too far away in front of the drums beating away trying to follow the sound of music.

Upon seeing Yunho, changmin gestured with his head toward the right where a small couch lies along with a table full of junk food that is most likely changmin. He scooted some stuff aside and sat down listening to the band play. As long as he had known changmin, he had always loved music but it wasn’t something he wanted to spend his future doing. It was more of a side hobby to relive some stress. Considering that midterms are coming up, he is probably stressed out like the rest of the people here. After the songs has been played, changmin excused himself and sat down next to Yunho smelling like sweats.

“You stink…did you even take a shower this morning?” Yunho asked

“Oi…what do you take me for? I do shower occasionally”

Yunho raised his eyebrow upon the word ‘Occasionally’

“So…how was it?” he asked

“How was what?”

“Don’t act dumb….I saw you invited that hot chick back to your apartment…that only mean you got laid right? So how was doing it and being able to see the expression of the woman you are pounding?”

“First of all…nothing happen…second of all…don’t use the word pounding…”

“Yunho…she was head over heel in love with you…how could nothing happen?”

“Something did happen….I kissed her…”

Changmin became excited “Yea…go on…”

“Then I puke on her and pass out like an idiot…”

Changmin blinked at him once and then twice before he started laughing like a mad man. He was attracting attention of the other people here as Yunho blushed from embarrassment feeling like his pride has been tarnished.

“That is probably the funniest thing I had ever heard….she must be pisst as hell…”

“No…she was a nice girl…she must have wiped the puke, help me to bed and even made me breakfasted before leaving…”

Changmin grinned at him “you should keep her then…”

“No thanks…I’m no longer into relationship…it’s just too much…I’m just going to concentrate on school and my future plans…”

Changmin sigh “not that phrase again…aren’t you scare you will die alone?”

“Rather I die alone or with a big family is up to fate…”

“Isn’t there anyone you are interested in?”

Yunho paused as the image of jaejoong flashed before his eyes. He felt his cheek burn unsure what this feeling inside meant. Changmin could see the expression on his face and knew right away that someone has caught his attention.

“Whoever it is…I hope you for the best down your road of love…”

“It’s not what you think changmin ah…it’s more of friendship then love…beside…it’s a guy”

This took changmin by surprise “since…since when did are you interested in guys?”

“That’s…that’s not what I meant!” Yunho snapped trying to explain himself not to cause any misunderstanding “it’s not a feeling of love!...it’s friendship…only friendship…I only wanted to become his friend nothing less and nothing more…”

Changmin was quiet doubting that this feeling is just friendship…when someone’s expression softens with cheek bright red and eyes with sparkles, it could only mean love. Even though Yunho is able to see, he is still blind of his own true feelings.

“So who is it? this guy that you desperately want to become friends with…?”

Yunho hesitated a bit before saying “kim jaejoong…”

Changmin early choked on his own spit as he looked at Yunho in complete shock with his eyes opening as wide as it could.

“k-k-kim jaejoong?! The ice queen?!The beautiful law student whom everyone worship but get their soul crushed by his insulting words? That kim jaejoong?!”

“He is not like that” said Yunho recalling the conversation he had with jaejoong last night.

Changmin sigh before smiling nervously “well…good luck…he might…not be exactly who you think he is…that guy has a past that is hard to understand…even his personality alone is like the seasons changing in a blink of an eye…you can’t tell if he will smile at you, hate you, be sad or even want to punch you…” he paused a bit before leaning his head back and staring into the ceiling “he….wasn’t always like that I suppose…everyone will eventually go through a stage of change either for the best or the worst…”

 Yunho gazed at changmin and notice the expression on his face. It is one of someone who is familiar with jaejoong who has seen that person changed “You sound like you know about him?”

Changmin kept his mouth shut feeling like he had said more than he should before standing up “well…time to practice again…”

He quickly made his escape before Yunho can press on with more questions. Yunho watched as changmin return to his band and position himself at the drum. The others also prepared themselves as the lead singer walked over before exchanging a few words. As they were discussing the song and the synchronization of the band, Yunho’s phone ringed as an indication that he has a text message. He took out his phone and notice it was from his part time job asking rather he could cover a shift. Without anything else to do, Yunho replied yes and stood up. Upon seeing Yunho stood up, changmin called out to him

“You going already?”

“Yea…I just got called in for work”

“Why are you accepting an extra shift when it’s your day off?”

“I needed the money…the surgery was not cheap you know”

“But you just got here…at least listen to this new song before you go?”

“sorry…maybe next time” Yunho smiled apological before making his way toward the door.

The lead singer took the mic in his hand and with his signal the band started to play. The first beat of Changmin’s drum caught Yunho’s attention making his heart jump as he turn around. He couldn’t tell if it was the flash of lights by the band that made his eyes hurts or not but it was painful. It was as if the pain had traveled from his eyes to his head and all over his body. He could hear the sound of music ringing into his ear making his body tremble but he could barely open his eyes without feeling the agonizing pain. Just then Yunho saw an image flashed before his eyes. It was the very same beautiful blonde man standing before a mic.

He looked like he was singing with a band behind him. The sweat on his forehead, the sweats on his clothes that tightly clings to his body was a clear sign that this person must have been a singer and loved it base on the small on his face. Just seeing this image made Yunho’s heart skip a beat, seeing such a happy and excite smile made Yunho’s chest hurt. It felt as if he was there watching this person sing his heart out. It makes him want to hear this person’s voice…hear this person’s song.

“Yunho? oi yunho?!” changmin’s loud voice echoed as Yunho came to a realization that the music had stopped. Changmin is now standing up by his drum with a concern look on his face “are you okay?!”

The pain in Yunho’s eyes had disappear as he is able to open his eyes normally before standing up straight and smiled “I’m fine…”

“Are you sure?” changmin asked doubtful

“Yea…I’ll call you later”

With that being said Yunho exited the room and ascended the stairs until he is back on the sidewalk. The image that he just saw continues to linger as he become even more curious as to whom this person that he keeps seeing is. All he knows is that every time these images flash before his eyes, it makes his heart race, filling him with a warmth feeling.

Yunho’s shift started as he took over the cashier at the nearby convenient store. Everything went by normally without anything drastically happening. Because this place was near a business area, it was constantly busy with customers barely giving him any time to rest.

“Are you okay?” one of the employee asked him upon noticing him touching his eyes on more than one occasion

“I’m okay” Yunho smiled

“I thought the surgery went well? Is it giving you some discomfort?” she asked

“No…it…isn’t anything like that…” Yunho paused unsure of how to explain it

Seeing that Yunho didn’t really want to explain it, she decided to drop the topic “How is school? It must feel different now that you can take your own notes and go to where you need to go without help”

“Yea…it is…I don’t feel like I’m a burden to anyone now”

“That’s good….I’m glad that everything went well…”

They were still chatting when the manager called Yunho to the back to do some stocking. She was left to tend to the cashier as Yunho perform the new task that has been assigned to him. He brought the medium size brown box to toward the back before setting it down. One item at a time he started to scan them and place them on the shelf. He could hear the sound of the door opening as it ringed as a signal that a customer has entered. With someone already at the cashier, Yunho didn’t pay any attention and only continue to go about with his job. When he finished stocking up and was glad to see a job well done before standing up with a satisfying look on his face.

“Good job Yunho…you did fantastically stocking up the shelf” he spoke

Right at this moment he happens to look in front of him and his eyes widen in complete shock. Kim jaejoong was standing across from him on the other aisle looking back at him with the same bewilder eyes.

“H-hey…” Yunho nervously greeted jaejoong who only slowly nodded his head as a greeting before turning away.

At this point Yunho could hear a soft chuckle coming from jaejoong meaning he must have saw Yunho smiling like an idiot praising himself. His face flashed red from embarrassment that he just wanted to dig a hole and hide under. He had wanted to make a good and cool impression in front of jaejoong but all he did was embarrass himself a second time.

“Here…” came the familiar angelic voice as Yunho turn to face this person and its jaejoong holding onto a cherry flavor lollipop

“What is it?”

“Have you not seen a lollipop before?” jaejoong asked

“Of course I have but why are you giving it to me?”

“You said it yourself…you did a good job stocking up so this is your reward” grin Jaejoong

Yunho awkwardly thanked jaejoong before taking the lollipop

“You are indeed an interesting person Jung Yunho…” said jaejoong as he walked toward the door and exited leaving behind a love struck Yunho.

“Who was that?” Yunho’s coworker asked “is he a friend of yours?”

Yunho tilted his head to the side unsure of what to label jaejoong. Is he considered as a friend? Classmate? Or stranger? He only looked at the lollipop in his hand as he quickly excuses himself for a bit and chased after jaejoong. Luckily jaejoong had only walked a block before hearing Yunho called after him.

“T-thank you for the lollipop”

“I don’t think it’s something worth thanking…”

“But…even so…I…want to pay you back”

Jaejoong give Yunho a confuse look unsure where he is going with this, after all it was his reward to Yunho so why should he feel obligated to pay it back.

“If you don’t like it…I’ll take it” said jaejoong feeling like maybe a lollipop wasn’t the right choice of reward

“Huh? why? You give it to me? I thought it was my reward?”

“If you going to pay it back than that means you don’t like it…”

Yunho paused feeling like maybe there is a misunderstanding here. It’s not like he doesn’t like the lollipop it’s just that he wanted to use it as an excuse to befriend jaejoong by going out to eat or something.

“Sorry…”

“Why are you apologizing now?”

“I didn’t mean to sound like I didn’t like it…I really like it…I will accept it and eat it with joy…”

“You…”

“I just wanted an excuse to chase you I guess” Yunho cut jaejoong off as he continues “but in the end I only made you misunderstand….”

“Why would you chase me?”

Yunho scratch the back of his head trying to organize his words so it doesn’t come out strangely that will cause an even bigger misunderstanding.

“I…guess…I just wanted to get to know you more…become your friends if you will let me”

Jaejoong paused a bit before asking “why? Why would you want to be my friend?”

Yunho tried to find an answer but strangely he wasn’t able to find an answer. Why is it that he is attracted to jaejoong? Why is it that he wanted to get close to him…wanted to get to know? Seeing how Yunho wasn’t able to answer, Jaejoong only sigh and slightly turn away

“Don’t get me wrong….you reminded me of an old friend of mine so I acted the way I did but I don’t think it’s good for you to get involve with me…someone like you won’t be able to handle the real me…” said jaejoong coldly as he walked away leaving Yunho speechless. This was the first time he had seen jaejoong look at him coldly. Even though he was trying so hard not to cause misunderstanding, he still ends up causing it anyway. Yunho stood there and watched as jaejoong walked further away feeling like chasing after jaejoong to apologize might make it worst.

With a sadden and disappointed expression he return to the store where his coworker is waiting for him

“What happen? Is he a friend of yours?” she asked

Yunho turn his gaze toward the direction jaejoong went “no…he isn’t a friend…just….someone I knew from class”

She could sense the sadness in those words before slapping him on the back “cheer up…I’ll be your friend”

“No thanks…”

This made her annoy as she started to before coming to a realization “now that I think about…he does look familiar….he has the kind of face that is hard to forget…an appearance that is unique and beautiful…” she started to think hard but couldn’t remember who he resemble “he looks like this other person that I have seen before….”

“Who is it?”

“I can’t remember but this other person use to sing…a very great singer…a friend of mine invited me to this club two years ago and this band was playing…the lead singer was beautiful and singed very well…but…last  year the band just disappear…I heard the lead guitarist passed away and the lead singer disappeared…”

The image Yunho saw earlier flashed before his eyes. He felt his chest tightening as his heart started to ach.

“What….was the band called?”

“Hmmm….sorry…I don’t remember…”

Yunho sigh “I see…that’s too bad…”

When jaejoong got home he headed straight to his room. He closed the door and entered the bare room with barely anything except for a bed, a desk, chair and small book shelf. He walked over to his bed and sat down before lying down staring at the ceiling. He can’t help but felt a bit guilty for saying that to Yunho but when people can’t explain their reason for getting close to him, it irritates him. There are only 3 reason people approach him and want to know him…one…is his appearance…two…his academic skills….three….his family background. As to which one Yunho falls under is still unclear. Usually jaejoong could tell right away what reason people come to him but with Yunho it’s different. He can’t understand why Yunho will want to get to know him. For one thing they just meet, Yunho was blind and didn’t know he even exist until yesterday. In fact that was the first time he had spoken to Yunho. Just then a knock came upon the door but he made no attempt to open it.

“Why are you so late Jaejoong? Do you even know what time is it? you made a promise to me that you will go into law and study hard….I have high expectation so don’t disappoint me like before you hear me…” came the voice of his strict father before the footsteps disappear down the hallway.

Jaejoong sigh before sitting up and digs his long fingers into his locks of hair in frustration. He removed his shirt revealing the multiple tattoos that covered his slender body as he made his way toward the bathroom to take a shower. He turn on the water as steam quickly engulfed the bathroom filing it with heat. Jaejoong stepped into the shower and allows the water to wash over him, gently kisses his bare skin. Bit by bit the water that  touches his long legs started to turn from crystal clear into a light brown.

When Monday came around, school started once again as Yunho rushed to his afternoon class in a hurry already 5 minutes late. He was cursing to himself all the way there before bursting through the door out of breath. However he was struck with shock upon seeing the class completely empty. Now he wonders if he had already missed the class and that the time on his watch is wrong. After standing there in confusion he took out his phone and check his email. To his surprise class was canceled for today. This mean he rushed here for nothing. He let out a loud sigh and was about to leave before spotting someone sitting by the wall under the large glass window. Judging from the usual large dark brown sweater, it’s none other than jaejoong taking a nap. But with class already canceled, what is he doing here? Could it be that jaejoong didn’t know?

After the encounter last night Yunho feels nervous and awkward to approach jaejoong but if he didn’t know Yunho didn’t want him sitting there waiting. He took a deep breath and started to walk over to jaejoong. He could feel his heart beat loudly and become louder as he got closer.

“jaejoong shi…jaejoong shi” he called to him but did not see him stir from his sleep

Yunho could hear the soft sound of music coming from jaejoong as he look closer and see earbuds planted into his ear. This explain why he didn’t hear Yunho calling him. He sat his bag down and leans closer until his face is only a few inches away from the beautiful man. Carious as to what he is listening to, Yunho took a look at the ipod on the desk and read the song title. However it was labeled as ‘Unknown’ and the artist is also ‘Unknown’. Yunho turn his gaze from the ipod before turning to look jaejoong who has open his eyes. This startled Yunho so bad that he quickly back away and tripped over his bag before taking a tumble to the ground with a loud thud.

“S-sorry…Its…it’s...not what it looks like” he tried to explain himself

A memory of the past flashed before jaejoong's eyes reminding him of a time when the world wasn't as dark or as despressing.It was a memory of him and his close friend who also did just what yunho did. Jaejoong reached for the ear buds and remove the one from his right ear. He reached it for Yumho who only looked at him in confusion.

“Don’t want to hear it?” jaejoong asked

“I…I…I do” said Yunho as he stood up and sat down next to jaejoong. He was hesitant a bit to accept the earbud at first but after a few seconds he place it into his ear. Jaejoong played the songs as the music filled Yunho’s head. The first beat of the song made his heart tremble. The song was so well arranged that both the music and the lyric fit together so well. It was so soothing to listen to that it draws Yunho into a different world. His lip curved into a smile as he closed his eyes and allow the music to calm his soul. Both Yunho and jaejoong sat there next to each other without saying a single word as the sun light beams down upon them engulfing them in bright lights. This song reminded him of the image he saw of the blonde man. Just closing his eyes, he could see the beautiful blonde man singing this song on stage with sparkles and smiles. Just thinking about this made Yunho’s heart skip a beat as the familiar warmth surfaced.

“Are you okay? Your face is completely red?” jaejoong asked

Unsure of what he is feeling, Yunho quickly stood up unable to control the pace of his heart and the heat that is growing inside.

“I…Have to go” said Yunho as he removed the earbuds, grab his bag and exited the room in a hurry.

He hurried down the hallway in shock as he still feels his cheek burns. He wasn’t sure what this feeling is but he knows that this wasn’t normal.

Jaejoong remain in the classroom deep in thought when his phone started to ring. He looked down and a familiar name appear. He was reluctant to answer but after the second time his phone ringed, he finally picks up

“Where are you?” jaejoong asked as he stood up