Fear

One Thread

 

Every night I try my best to dream

Tomorrow makes it better

I wake up to the cold reality

That not a thing has changed

Last Hope- Paramore

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol sprinted around the school, looking for Baekhyun. He checked the library. He wasn’t there. He checked the gym. He wasn’t there either. He checked all of the bathrooms, too, as creepy as that sounded. He even checked the office, but the clerk just gave him a nasty glare.

Chanyeol gave up, collapsing on a park bench in the courtyard. Where had that kid gone? Maybe he had gone to the cafeteria after all. Chanyeol chuckled to himself, leaning forward and resting his chin in his hands.

The image of the boy flashed in his head, a flustered kid with a really pretty face.

Chanyeol couldn’t help but smile at himself as he felt color rise to his cheeks.

Byun Baekhyun, huh?

 

*

 

Kyungsoo couldn’t eat. He tapped his pencil on the lunch table, glaring into the distance. All of his study materials were in front of him, but he couldn’t concentrate. He watched the door angsty, taking sharp breaths.

“Yah, Chanyeol is going crazy!’ Jongdae shoveled a big spoonful of lasagna into his mouth , talking with his mouth wide open. On another day, Kyungsoo would have reminded him to keep closed, but not today. Kyungoo’s thoughts were elsewhere. To be exact, Byun Baekyhun.

Jongdae chomped noisily. “Like, seriously, the kid just got here, and he’s already acting like he’s in love with him!”

Kyungsoo winced and Jongdae stammered. “A-Ah, sorry Kyungsoo!”

Kyungsoo took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “It’s fine. I’m sorry.”

Jongdae was quiet, picking at his lasagna. “I’m sure he doesn’t like that Bacon kid or whatever, Kyung.”

Kyungsoo tilted his head and sighed. “I don’t care, I mean, that’s his thing.”

Jongdae agreed and stood up to throw his lunch tray away. Kyungsoo packed up his textbooks and rested his elbows on the table.

He checked his watch, and then the door. The bell was about to ring, and Chanyeol still wasn’t back.

Kyungsoo shook his head and patted the pocket in his backpack where he had kept an apple for Chanyeol for when he came back.

The bell rang. Kyungsoo stayed seated as everyone swarmed for the door. Jongdae stood up and shifted on one foot over Kyungsoo, waiting.

He really didn’t care.

 

*

 

The day was over, and Baekhyun was relieved. All day he had been bombarded with questions about America, about schools over there, and just being stared at. It was all annoying, really. Baekhyun couldn’t wait to get home, though that meant starting on his homework, which he wasn’t looking forward to.

As he walked through the hallways, being pushed around like he was insignificant such as a plastic bag in the wind, he thought about what had happened earlier.

Baekhyun scoffed. Become his target’s friend? Like that going to end well! He clenched his fists. Like Mr. Lee can let him go! Kai, Xiumin, and Lay are off well by themselves, but without him?

Without him they were nothingHe was the best, he was the one who was in control-

Suddenly he was slammed into a wall of lockers. Baekhyun braced himself for impact and bit his lip as he bounced back, shoving people with his shoulder. Baekhyun’s teeth ripped his skin, and he could feel the blood on his tongue.

Baekhyun placed a hand on his the lower half of his face, swallowing.

Well, at least he was.

Here in this place, he was just another teenage boy with a story.

He stared at his fingertips, course and calloused, stained with his blood.

And that’s all he ever would be.

Baekhyun looked above him. A sign that read “Library” was tacked up on the wall beside an old wooden door.

Baekyhun peeked through the window.

Well, he could use the distraction.

 

*

 

Chanyeol trudged through the hallways, eyes glued to his feet. He had failed at his mission to find the new boy.

“Chanyeol, do you want to go get something to eat after school?” Jongdae smiled at him from below, his eyes shining and pleading.

Chanyeol hung his head. “Sorry, but I have to go to the library to study. I failed the Physics test, Mrs. Kim was really upset at me.”

That was the purpose of the library visit, really, but Chanyeol also had to jump at any chance he could to escape Hellhole #1.

Jongdae narrowed his eyes. “Chanyeol, you never study! What’s up with you?!”

Chanyeol pursed his lips. “I don’t know, but I guess I’m trying now. I do have to get into a college somewhere, somehow.”

Jongdae smirked. “Well, I guess that’s all on you!” He waved goodbye to Chanyeol as he headed for the parking lot in the opposite direction.

Chanyeol turned the corner and pushed the door open to the library. The librarian glared from her desk at him, but Chanyeol only cheerfully smiled at him.

“Wow,” He thought. “I haven’t even stepped into the library since the beginning of freshman year, and here she is giving me the stink eye. I didn’t even do anything when I came in here that last time! I really must have a reputation.”

Chanyeol set his things down at a table in the back, taking out his study materials. He tried to focus, but he couldn’t. He was really trying, but he just could not concentrate.

Chanyeol watched the people in the library mournfully. There was a couple studying near the front, practicing their English, some weird geek watching Naruto on his laptop at the table beside him, and a few people roaming the bookshelves…

He squinted at the boy tracing the book spines with his finger.

Was that…?

Chanyeol stood up, tiptoeing to a neighboring bookshelf. He peeked his head around the corner for a closer look.

It was, indeed, the new boy.

The boy had tied his green sweater around his waist, accentuating his thin figure. He brushed his brown bangs out of his eyes and crouched to see the book titles on the lower shelves.

Chanyeol watched him for a moment, then cleared his throat nervously.

The boy turned, surprised. “A-ah, hello!” He bowed his head a bit.

Chanyeol smiled softly and stuck out a trembling hand. “Hi, my name’s Park Chanyeol.”

The boy took his hand graciously, shaking it softly, yet energetically. Chanyeol noticed his fingers were very slender, yet rough. “Hello, my name is Byun Baekhyun.”

Yes, that was right. Chanyeol remembered Kyungsoo telling him that in English, also the fact that he was from America.

Chanyeol pulled on the hem of his jeans nervously. “So, you’re from America, right?”

Baekhyun nodded. “Yes, I was born and raised there.”

The boy’s gaze shifted to his feet and back up to Chanyeol’s. “Th-This is actually my first time attending a school. I’ve been home schooled my whole life.”

Chanyeol gasped. “Really? So you’ve never stepped foot into a high school before?”

“Nope.”

“Zilch?”

“Zero.”

Baekhyun chuckled. “Yeah, this is all a new experience for me.”

The boy pressed his lips together, and Chanyeol noticed the bleeding cut on his soft, pink lips.

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol reached forward, then stopped himself. “What happened to your lip?”

Baekhyun’s hand flew to his lips. “”Ah, that.” He smiled awkwardly. “I accidentally bit myself in the hallway. I’m sorry”

Chanyeol’s eyes brightened and he laughed heartily. “Ah, yes! You’re pretty small, you were tossed around a lot weren’t you?”

Baekhyun scoffed. “I’m not small! Everyone is just…big.”

Baekhyun’s cheeks flushed and Chanyeol snickered. He leaned against the bookshelf, sneaker against the books on the lower shelves.

Baekhyun glared at Chanyeol’s foot and realizing his mistake, Chanyeol hopped off. “Ah, I’m sorry. You like books right?”

Baekhyun nodded, clutching the pair of books he had chosen to his chest. “Yes, do you?”

Chanyeol froze.

God, he hated books. He hated anything with words. Words hurt his eyes, especially the fine print in textbooks.

He was about to answer when he stared into Baekyhun’s eyes.

Baekhyun’s eyes seemed to fill up the entire room. They were so bright and wistful, glimmering in a way Chanyeol couldn’t describe, though he felt there was something more to them than he imagined.

Maybe that s why he answered, “Yeah, books, yes, I-I love them!”

Baekhyun smiled. “Really? Man, I never thought I’d find someone who liked reading! I watched lots of high school movies before today, and in all of them it’s always the losers and nerds who appreciate art like this.”

Chanyeol’s eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. “Y-You don’t think I’m a loser?”

Baekhyun frowned and shook his head. “No, should I?”

Of course, Chanyeol mentally slapped himself. The kid was new here, and obviously new to the area. (Chanyeol was banned at nearly all of the teenage hang out spots; the movies, the mall, etc. Jongdae was banned at more than half, so that didn’t make him feel that bad.) He didn’t know about Chanyeol’s destructive ways, at least, not yet.

Chanyeol laughed nervously. “N-No! No, that’s not it…”

“Ah.” Baekhyun lifted his books higher to his chest. “Are you a fan of Stephen King? I really admire his writing, that and horror.”

Chanyeol’s heart quickened. Stephen King?? Who was that? Has he heard his name before in English?

“Oh yeah!” Chanyeol crossed his arms over his chest. “Yeah! His writings are classics!”

Baekhyun snorted. “Stephen King’s writings a classic?”

Now it was Chanyeol’s turn to blush. “A-Ah-“

Baekhyun’s phone buzzed in his pocket, interrupting Chanyeol. “I’m sorry.” Baekhyun apologized. “I think I have to leave.”

A weight in Chanyeol’s chest was lifted. “Ah, goodbye! It was really fun talking to you!”

Baekhyun placed the books on the bookshelf and gripped his backpack’s straps tightly. “Yes, it was Chanyeol.” He waved goodbye.

He was nearly out the door when Chanyeol raced after him through the bookshelves, tugging on Baekhyun’s shoulder.

Baekhyun spun around, and time seemed to stop. Both of their eyes met, and Chanyeol couldn't stop staring. Baekhyun stood beneath him, his gaze wide and...afraid. Chanyeol felt his stomach twist as he stared at the boy, and behind those dark brown eyes, he could see something other than fright. It was something he couldn't detect, but as soon as it appeared, Baekhyun's eyes turned back to normal. 

The moment broke, and Baekhyun's body relaxed under Chanyeol's touch. Chanyeol, realizing that he was still holding onto Baekhyun, shot back as if he were electrocuted and stood rigid a reasonable distance away from Baekhyun.

“Um!” Chanyeol blurted. “I-If you want, you can always sit with me at lunch.”

Baekhyun raised his eyebrows.

“I mean, not just me! I have my other friends, Kyungsoo and Jongdae. Kyungsoo is really smart, you’d really like him, and Jongdae’s a bit iffy, but he’s a good person, too!”

Baekhyun smiled. “Sure! I’d like that.”

He bowed his head. “Bye, Chanyeol.”

He ducked out the door and Chanyeol was left standing there, dumbfounded.

What had just happened?

He scratched his head, mouth parted slightly. The door was kicked open as the tiny librarian waltzed in, a stack of books in her arms. The door smacked him on his temple and Chanyeol lost his footing and fell against the wall.

 “Park Chanyeol! What are you doing?!”

Chanyeol’s vision turned red, but all he did was rest his forehead on the cool tile and blink.

What had just happened?

 

*

 

 

 

 Kyungsoo sprinted through the hallways, stuffing his textbook into his backpack. He had stayed behind a few minutes after the bell to ask Mr. Kwon a few questions about his history report, and now he had to find Chanyeol.

Kyungsoo opened the pocket where he had stored the apple and aligned his backpack correctly over his shoulders. He had to find Chanyeol; he had missed him during the 6th period’s passing period.

“Chanyeol must be starving.” He thought, darting past corners and loitering students. “He missed lunch.”

After combing the entire school, Kyungsoo sighed, his shoulders slumping. “What an idiot.” He muttered under his breath, rolling his eyes. “He missed lunch, and now he’s gone to God-knows-where. He’ll probably die if I weren’t here.”

Kyungsoo’s phone vibrated. Kyungsoo rifled through his pocket for a moment, holding the apple carefully in the palm of his other hand.

“Young Master Do, we are waiting at the East gate for you.”

Kyungsoo sighed again. “Okay, I’m on my way.”

Kyungsoo pocketed his phone and stared at the apple in his grip. After a moment of thought, he placed the apple on the bench at the front entrance of the school.

“Maybe Chanyeol will find it somehow,” Kyungsoo smiled to himself and set out for his car.

 

*

 

Kyungsoo approached the Rolls Royce that was waiting for him exactly where they told him. The chauffeur opened the door for him and Kyungsoo slid inside. Kyungsoo opened his backpack and took out his notes that he took that day during class. He read over them, occasionally peering out the window at the flying scenery.

After about 10 minutes of driving, they had arrived at Kyungsoo’s home. The Rolls Royce drove through the wrought iron gates and through the Do estates, rounding the center fountain and around the bend to the front of the house. Made with Grecian architecture, the house was made of marble, with giant pillars holding the roof to the sky. The chauffeur opened his door and Kyungsoo stepped out, climbing the stairs, where the mahogany front doors were opened for him by a butler on hand.

“Mr. and Mrs. Do, Young Master Do has arrived from school.” The butler bowed, gesturing Kyungsoo forward.

Kyungsoo took off his shoes and handed them to the butler, who in exchange gave him plush slippers. Kyungsoo’s mother and father stood at the grand marble staircase. His mother, short and petite with a rather round face bore pearls around her neck and jewels around her fingers. Kyungsoo’s father held a cigar to his mouth, an angry caterpillar sitting at his lip, dressed in a crisp suit and tie, always professional even when he was at home.

Kyungsoo stepped forward on the velvet carpet and bowed to his parents, staring at his feet. “Hello, Mother and Father. I have arrived from school.”

Kyuungsoo’s father barked. “Grade point average?”

“A solid 4.0, sir.”

Kyungsoo’s mother scoffed. “A solid 4.0? You begged us to send you to public school instead of home tutoring or private school, and you give us this in return?”

Kyungsoo, head still bowed bit his lip. “I apologize, Mother and Father. I will aim for higher.”

Kyungsoo’s father flicked his cigar. “Apology accepted. Go study and a maid will bring your dinner upstairs when it is ready.”

Kyungsoo nodded. “Thank you, Father and Mother. Enjoy your evening.”

Kyungsoo’s father and mother moved aside, and Kyungsoo made his way up the stairs to his room.

His room was as lavish as the entire house. With a large canopy bed and opulent furniture, a cedar desk and armchair, a mini fridge filled with more junk food than he could imagine, and million dollar décor and art lining the walls. His chambers contained an adjacent library, where all of his favorite books and study materials resided, a gigantic bathroom with a Jacuzzi, a music room with multiple instruments he could choose from( a Stradivarius cello and violin, a grand piano, etc.) and a cinema with all of the latest movies on stock and a popcorn machine

Kyungsoo could live up here for as long as he wanted, but he was always so lonely at home. That was why he spent his free time outside wandering the estate, taking naps underneath the towering trees, and swimming in the lakes and ponds.

Kyungsoo dumped his backpack on a nearby couch and snatched his laptop from where it was charging on his desk. He plopped on his bed and woke it up, smiling as he logged on.

Another thing he liked to do with his spare time was go on Tumblr. He owned a blog about the amazing boy idol group, BTS. He had over 1,000 followers, and growing. He was a mad fanboy, and he wasn’t the only one.

Kyungsoo clicked on the Messages icon, and grinned when he saw he had a notification. He nearly squealed when he saw that he got a message from @saturnsuga.

He had met @saturnsuga on his blog, and they had quickly become the best of friends. His real name was Jongin, he was also a fanboy, and they had a lot of common interests. Jongin was funny, smart, and kind, but best of all, he understood Kyungsoo.

Unfortunately, Jongin also lived on a whole other continent, to be exact, Australia. The good thing was, they lived in the same time zone. Jongin was almost always online though because he was homeschooled, and that made things easier for Kyungsoo to stay in contact with him.

From: saturnsuga

Hey, Kyung! ; D How are you today??

 

From: jupiterjin

Hi, Jongin! : -) I’m pretty good. Wbu??

 

Kyungsoo had barely pressed Send when he got an immediate reply.

 

From: saturnsuga

Nothing much, as usual. ;-; pretty boring. BUT DID YOU HEAR??! YOONGI IS DROPPING HIS MIXTAPE IN AUGUST!

 

From: jupiterjin

OH MY GOODNESS,, ARE YOU SERIOUS??!!

 

Kyungsoo checked his tumblr dashboard and found it was true. He could hardly contain his excitement. Min Yoongi, the king of rapping was finally releasing his solo album?! He couldn’t believe it.

He went back to talking to Jongin, and he found himself happy that he could speak to someone without using his tongue. Staring at his screen for a reply, Kyungsoo knew that this was the one thing his parents couldn’t control. 

Kyungsoo continued to speak with Jongin, but after a few hours, he decided he had to complete that mountain of homework he received that day. Disappointed, he texted Jongin back.

 

From: jupiterjin

I’m sorry, Jongin, I need to work on homework rn ;-; you're so lucky being homeschooled. I’ll try and message you back if I can!

 

From: saturnsuga

Ahh, okay! I’ll be here waiting. T^T good luck! Love ya <3

 

Kyungsoo nearly choked on his spit as he read that last message. Embarrassed, he quickly closed the tab and shut off his laptop. Kyungsoo sat with his hands in his lap, staring at the wall and willing for his cheeks to stop burning.

There was a knock at the door, and a maid came in with a steaming plate of roasted duck. “I apologize, Young Master Do for coming late with your meal.”

Kyungsoo pardoned the maid. “It’s alright, you can just leave it on my desk.”

Grateful, the maid bowed a few times then left the room.

Kyungsoo face planted into the pillow behind him and closed his eyes, the smell of food making his stomach growl.

When would these ungodly feelings go away?

 

*

 

Baekhyun strolled out of the school, cellphone to his ear. Suho answered on the first ring.

“Ya, Suho!”

“Baekhyun, be nice to your elder!”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “Where’s the car?”

“I’m sorry, I have some paperwork due in an hour, and I’m not finished with it. The car is there though.”

Baekhyun sighed. Seemed like another awkward car ride with a patronizing soul.

Baekhyun spotted the familiar Rolls Royce and raced towards it across the grassy courtyard, grateful to escape the educational prison.

Baekhyun stopped in his tracks as he watched the chauffeur step out of the car and open the door for another approaching figure.

Baekhyun raised his eyebrow as a small, cheery Kyungsoo greeted the driver and slid nside of the car. Baekhyun narrowed his eyes. Do Kyungsoo? Getting into an expensive car with a driver? Kyungsoo didn’t seem like he came from an important, or rich family when Baekhyun had met him.. .

Baekhyun bit his bloody lip in thought. Do Kyungsoo… Had he heard that name before? Contemplating over the notion, Baekhyun caught sight of his vehicle, another Rolls Royce parked beside a tall, shady tree and set out toward it.

 

*

 

Baekyun got home and threw himself on the bed. The lack of sleep from his stress and eight hours of nonsense had gotten to him. Baekhyun reached for his backpack and decided to get work on his homework.

He had gotten everything set up when a knock sounded at the trapdoor. Puzzled, Baekhyun shouted, “Come in!”

Up the ladder ascended, Kai, Xiumin, and Lay, bickering over who got to climb into Baekhyun’s room first.

“Move! I got here first!”

“You move! I was born first!”

“You guys, I just want to get up!”

Kai pushed himself up into the room and crawled across the floor. Xiumin dragged him by the ankles and threw him off the ladder into the hallway below. Lay clawed at the floor, but Kai banged his fist against his knuckles.

“Enough!” Baekhyun shouted, standing up from the bed and appearing in front of them without breaking a sweat. He lifted his foot in the air, casting a shadow over the three assassins’ faces. “Stop, or I am going to push you all down the ladder into the basement.”

Lay shivered while Xiumin and Kai stared at their feet. In an orderly fashion they climbed into Baekhyun’s room and sat in a line in front of his bed.

“How was school??” Lay grinned, shaking with excitement.

Baekhyun gestured to the textbooks and papers spread around his bed. “This. This is what school is like.”

Kai cocked his head. ”Really? Is that your homework?”

Baekhyun nodded. “There are so many kids in one place. The lectures are full of nonsense. The food smelled and appeared to be disgusting, and most of all, it’s boring!”

Xiumin sighed. “Wow, school seemed too good to be true. I didn’t know it was that bad. I knew it was different from college, but…” His eyes glazed over, and Baekhyun immediately felt remorse.

“Sorry to burst your bubble. That’s what I experienced.”

Kai’s phone buzzed in the quiet. He shot up like a rocket, eyes wide. He fumbled for his phone, “Sorry you guys, I gotta take this.

He nearly tripped getting out of the room, and Xiumin and Lay stood up after him.

“I guess we’ll catch you later Baek!” Xiumin smiled, his cheeks a bit flushed.

Lay nodded, stifling a laugh. “I feel pretty bad for you bro.”

Baekhyun glared at him and they ran out of the room, snickering.

Once again the room was quiet. Unable to concentrate on his homework now, Baekhyun stood up and walked over to his library. He gazed at all of the book titles and his thoughts drifted to Park Chanyeol

“Stephen King, a classic?” He pulled out his favorite, torn and loved copy of Pet Sematary and flipped through its pages.

That Park Chanyeol was something else. He seemed friendly enough, though a bit awkward.

“Do you think he saw through my acting?” Baekhyun wondered.

He thought about that point in the library, when Park Chanyeol had caught his arm and stared through him.

Baekhyun remembered the panic he had felt. Those big wide, brown eyes seemed to stare straight into his soul, his memories, all of his sins. He had never felt such…fear before.

Baekhyun closed the book and sat down on the carpet, holding his knees to his chest.

Fear…why had he felt it when Park Chanyeol had looked at him?

Was it because of Park Chanyeol’s expression?

Was it because of the way Baekhyun’s heart had fluttered as his eyes connected with Park Chanyeol’s?

Was he afraid…of Park Chanyeol?

Baekhyun tensed his shoulders and linked his hands together around his knees.

No, that wasn’t it.

Was he afraid…for Park Chanyeol?

The innocent junior teenage student with no purpose in life, to be eradicated from the world without leaving behind his name as recollection?

Baekhyun relaxed his body and lifted his head. He lay sprawled on the couch behind him, taking slow, even breaths.

Fear…he hadn’t felt that in a long time.

Not since before…

Baekhyun shook his head and squeezed his eyes shut before the thought could come to his head.

He decided to let his thoughts rest on his target, his friend in the making, Park Chanyeol. Baekhyun dwelled on the way Park Chanyeol gazed at him, the way he moved with his tall lanky body, and his stupid, bright smile.

Baekhyun opened his eyes and stared at the colored light radiating from the stained glass window.

Park Chanyeol was something else.