Difficult

One Thread

 

How can I decide what's right

When you're clouding up my mind?

I can't win your losing fight

all the time

Decode- Paramore

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun found Chanyeol at school the next day sitting in front of his locker, hoodie pulled over his head and earbuds plugged in his ears.

Baekhyun felt warm inside. Chanyeol’s eyes were closed and it looked as if he was sleeping. Baekhyun crouched over him and admired his face. His eyes were so big, and when they were open they seemed to fill the room. His skin was perfectly fair, and his messy hair shaped his face perfectly.

Baekhyun reached out to touch him, but Chanyeol’s eyes opened.

Baekhyun nearly screamed and sprung up, his nerves on high alert. Chanyeol groaned and sat up, popping his earbuds out. He smiled and clapped his giant sweater paws.

Baekhyun was flustered. Chanyeol was so big, how did he have sweater paws??

“You nearly gave me a heart attack, Baek!” Chanyeol stood up and yawned, straightening up in front of Baekhyun.

Baekhyun gripped his backpack straps tightly. “Chanyeol is calling me Baek, now,” He thought. Baekhyun couldn’t help but smile.

Chanyeol planted his hands on his hips and ruffled his hair. “So how are you, Baek? Did you have breakfast?”

Baekhyun nodded. “And you? How are you?”

Chanyeol cocked his head. “Pretty good. I punched three orphans in the face at the same time this morning.”

Baekhyun choked. “W-What?!”

Chanyeol doubled over in laughter. “I knew you would freak. This happens quite often!”

“You punch orphans in the face often?!’

Chanyeol gripped Baekhyun’s shoulder stop steady himself, and Baekhyun froze.

Chanyeol gasped, smiling. “Yes, actually. I was doing some arm exercise this morning and they got in the way. It was kind of funny come to think of it. They just kind of flew~” Chanyeol used to his fingers to demonstrate. “From the front of the yard all the way to the fence!”

Baekhyun gasped. “Are you serious?! How is that funny?!”

Baekhyun has hurt tons of people, but never an orphan!

Chanyeol smirked. “Yup, their nose will never be the same.”

Baekhyun covered his gasp of horror as Chanyeol laughed.  “You’re such a tease, Baek!”

“So it isn’t true.”

“Nah, totally knocked the life out of those ers.”

“Chanyeol!”

Chanyeol tapped Baekhyun’s shoulder, jogging in place. “Yah, race you around the school.”

Baekhyun frowned at him. “Race around the school?” Baekhyun glanced at his watch. “It’s 7:30?”

“Exactly. Class doesn’t start until 7:45. Nobody is here yet because everybody is lazy.” Chanyeol raised his arms to the ceiling. “Come on!”

Baekhyun crossed his arms. “Why are you energetic? It’s 7:30! A! M!”

Chanyeol flipped his hair and jogged in circles. “I dunno. I punched some orphans, don’t you remember? Get with the program, Baek, God!”

Baekhyun smirked and threw his backpack against the lockers. “Fine, Orphan Beater. I’ll race you. Around the school and back here. No shortcuts.”

Chanyeol winked. “That’s the spirit, Tease.”

Baekhyun crouched, eye Chanyeol as he got into position beside him. “Okay, on your marks, Get set. Ready…1…2…”

Baekhyun tore off running before he finished counting. Chanyeol stared at him flabbergasted. “Baek, you little cheat!” He screeched, sprinting behind him.”

Baekhyun flew through the hallways like a champ, letting his motor skills do the work for him. Teachers yelled at them as they passed by, but Baekhyun only laughed when he turned his head and found Chanyeol shooting daggers at him.

Baekhyun made the finish line, Chanyeol right behind him.

“You little cheat.” He pushed Baekhyun’s shoulder and laughed. “Didn’t know you had it in you, Tease.”

Baekhyun smirked at him. “Two can play it this way, Orphan Beater.”

The bell rang and Baekhyun grabbed his backpack from the floor. He grinned at Chanyeol and saluted a goodbye.

Chanyeol did the same, stifling a laugh.

They parted ways, and Baekhyun stared at his feet, being shoved around in the hallway.

Whenever Chanyeol was gone, he always seemed so small.

 

*

 

Kyungsoo stared at the teacher, scribbling notes in his notebook. His pen scratched across the lined paper and he nodded his head as he took in her words.

He cast a glance around the room, his eyes skimming over all of the students, who were either sleeping, texting, or daydreaming. Kyungsoo's eyes stopped on one person in the corner of the room, the only other person besides him that seemed to be paying attention to the lecture.

Baekhyun had his hands clasped on his desk, his papers for notes blank. His head was cocked to the side, and it was hard to tell if he was actually listening or just pretending to.

Kyungsoo pursed his lips and turned back to the front, finishing his last bullet point.

The teacher viewed all of her students, then her eyes landed on her A student, Kyungsoo. "Kyungsoo, can you tell me your analysis of the Greek myth Pyramus and Thisbe?"

Kyungsoo cleared his throat. "Of course. The Greek myth of Pyramus and Thisbe is a form of Romeo and Juliet, perhaps the original. Pyramus and Thisbe were star crossed lovers, who belonged to feuding families. Their love was forbidden, but they longed to be together. This myth just shows humankind that love will always be eternal, even in death."

The teacher nodded, smiling. "Yes, that is true. Now let's have another viewpoint." She turned and pointed to the corner of the room. "Baekhyun, what is your take of Pyramus and Thisbe?"

Baekhyun didn't flinch in the slightest at the question. He answered quickly and annunciated his words correctly and didn't break or pause for a moment in doubt. "I believe the contrary. This myth clearly shows that though their love can’t be separated, it also shows that they never were meant to be in love, which is why they died. The mulberries on the mulberry tree were stained with their blood; the myth actually teaches why the berries grow red. Those berries are now forever a warning to all of those who love, and are a symbol of how love doesn't last."

The teacher stayed quiet for a moment. "That is also very true. I actually never thought of this myth in that way before." She stared at Baekhyun, mouth slightly agape. "That is an amazing analysis. Thank you Baekhyun."

Kyungsoo felt his ears grow red. That wasn't an amazing analysis, that was just a statement of fact! Baekhyun wasn't even taking notes! He doesn't know what he's talking about!

Kyungsoo turned around in his seat and glared at Baekhyun, who had been staring at him also. Their eyes met, but Baekhyun never looked away. His stare was hollow, and it seemed he wasn't really looking at Kyungsoo, but reading him.

Furious, Kyungsoo turned back around and steadied his breathing. "That Baekhyun," He thought angrily. "He isn't who he says he is." Kyungsoo held his breath.

Baekhyun was competition.

Kyungsoo stared at his clenched fists, then released the tension. He let out his breath slowly and closed his eyes. He sneaked another glance at Baekhyun, who was staring at his blank paper now. Kyungsoo sighed, then remembered lunch, about how he was friends with Baekhyun. He thought about Chanyeol, who Baekhyun seemed to make really happy.

Kyungsoo's heart leaped at the thought of Chanyeol and his smile.

The bell rang and Kyungsoo was startled. Disgruntled he gathered his things together and made his way through the row of desks to the door. Baekhyun stood at the doorway, one strap of his backpack hanging off of his shoulder.

"Hey," He greeted him, a smile in his eyes. "I'm really stupid, I didn't realize we had this class together. Want to hit the roof together? You brought lunch right?"

Kyungsoo stared at him, surprised. They literally just had a battle of wits a few minutes ago, and he was asking him to walk together to lunch?

"Um...sure."

Baekhyun smiled. "Okay, let's go. We can wait for Jongdae and Chanyeol up there."

Kyungsoo followed Baekhyun down the hall, calculating in his head. Was Baekhyun taunting him...?

Baekhyun looked over his shoulder. "Come on. You're slow, I'll have to race you if you don't hurry."

Kyungsoo increased his pace, walking beside Baekhyun.

Or did he really want to be friends...?

They made it to the rooftop and sat in the center, setting up their lunches. Kyungsoo took out his textbooks and reviewed his notes, taking a bite from his apple.

Baekhyun opened a bag of potato chips and offered one to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo refused with the slight of his hand. "No, thank you I'm fine." He watched as Baekhyun ate quietly.

"Baekhyun, do you care about your grades?"

Baekhyun looked up from his sandwich. "Yes, why?"

Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes. "Really? If you cared about your grades, you would be studying and taking notes during class."

Baekhyun stared at Kyungsoo. "I don't need to."

Kyungsoo held back his temper. "What do you mean you don't need to?"

Baekhyun shrugged. "I do the homework, I take the tests. I pay attention during class. I get A's. That's all I need."

Kyungsoo threw his pencil down. "What do you mean that's all you need? You don't study for those tests, or crack open a book?"

Baekhyun crunched on a chip. "Nope. I just do what I have to do and get done with it. I don't need to study, I don't need it. I'm just good at school without trying."

Kyungsoo closed ha eyes and tried to resist the temptation to strangle Baekhyun.

Before Kyungsoo could snarl anything else, Chanyeol and Jongdae opened the door.

Chanyeol threw his arms into the air and dropped his back pack on the rooftop. "Aah, I love it up here. I'm not trapped in a classroom, I'm free!"

It took only Chanyeol's voice to melt away all of Kyungsoo's anger. His smile came easy, and he felt he could breathe again.

Chanyeol turned to him and Baekhyun, and his eyes lit up. Kyungsoo felt his heart flutter. Kyungsoo opened his mouth. "Hi, Chan-"

"Hey, Baek!"

Kyungsoo's heart fell as Chanyeol's eyes focused on the boy sitting across from and he made his way toward him.

Kyungsoo's eyes fell to the concrete and he tried to regain his composure.

Chanyeol sat beside Baekhyun and rested his elbows on his knees, his fists supporting his chin. He smiled at Baekhyun. "How has your day been so far?"

Kyungsoo emerged himself in his books again, but he couldn't concentrate on a single word. It all seemed so blurry, and he couldn't focus.

Jongdae sat next to Baek also, munching on a carrot he got from only God knows where. "Man, you should have been there in Physics, Chanyeol nearly set my hair on fire."

Kyungsoo tightened his grip on his textbook. He wasn't paying attention, he wasn't paying attention. He didn't need to; school came first. School was his number one priority, unlike Baekhyun's. Hard work will always beat talent.

Baekhyun laughed. "Oh my god, Chanyeol. I let you let off steam this morning for you to do this?"

"It was an accident!"

"I am an endangered species, I swear, Baekhyun."

"What is that Baek?" Chanyeol prodded at Baekhyun's sandwich.

"A grilled cheese, you want some?"

Baekhyun offered his sandwich to Chanyeol, who kept his mouth open, eyes locked with Baekhyun's-

Kyungsoo's textbook folded in half, spine broken. Kyungsoo lifted his shaking hands from where he was holding it, dent from his fingers in the pages.

"Kyungsoo...Are you alright...?"

Kyungsoo lifted his eyes and found Jongdae and Baekhyun's eyes wide, and Chanyeol staring at him, eye worrying.

Kyungsoo's heart sunk, swallowing.

"Yes, I-I'm fine."

 

*

 

Kyungsoo trudged through the school courtyard, hands tight around his backpack straps. This day had been utterly exhausting. Kyungsoo kicked a patch of grass.

He was really starting to dislike Byun Baekhyun.

Kyungsoo was ushered into his car and he draped himself across the leather seat, mind busy and bustling.

Chanyeol couldn't possibly be replacing him with Baekhyun...could he??

Kyungsoo shook his head. He didn't want to think about this anymore. At least he had something to look forward to...

Kyungsoo smiled at the thought of Jongin.

Jongin will make me feel better.

When Kyungsoo got home, he greeted his parents and quickly raced up the stairs. He threw his backpack across the floor and accessed his laptop.

He squealed a bit in glee at the sight of a message notification. Kyungsoo clicked on it and felt warm.

 

From: @saturnsuga

Hey Kyung! How are you today? :^)) I hope you're feeling happy!

 

Kyungsoo quickly typed out a response.

 

From:  @jupiterjin

Yes, I am, now that I saw you're message!

 

Kyungsoo got an immediate response.

 

From: saturnsuga

Really? You’re too kind. How are things in Korea? Does the sun still shine? Does it ever rain?

 

Kyungsoo snorted, unable to let the day’s events weigh him down.

 

From: @jupiterjin

Nope, we are experiencing a Nuclear Holocaust, hidden from the world. We no longer have arms, and our eyes have relocated to where our rib cages meet.

 

From: @saturnsuga

Haha funny…so how are things going with your crush?

 

Kyungsoo blushed as he read the message. He had told Jongin about Chanyeol of course, that's what best friends do, even if they live an ocean away. Kyungsoo sighed while typing.

 

From: @jupiterjin

Well, things…were going pretty well, but now a new guy has shown up at school. I hate him. Chanyeol likes him a lot, and it makes me so jealous. He's funny and good looking. He seems to have taken Chanyeol's interest instead. And the thing is, he might be smart, and even worse, as smart as me. So now he is competition for my love and for school, which has made things go totally downhill for me lately.

 

From: @saturnsuga

Ah~~ so this Chanyeol guy is really special huh?

 

Kyungsoo paused before typing back.

 

From: @jupiterjin

Yeah, he makes me so happy.

 

Kyungsoo couldn't explain it, but he felt a pang of guilt as soon as he pressed Send.

 

From: @saturnsuga

Ah~ well I guess I just have to back to Korea to meet the boy who makes my Kyungie's heart hurt.

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. He typed back feverishly fast.

 

From: @jupiterjin

Really? Are you serious?!

 

From: @saturnsuga

Yup. I was planning on returning pretty soon anyway. You can only live abroad for so long…

 

*

Kyungsoo went to bed feeling warm and mushy. He had never felt such glee before, though the feeling of happiness couldn’t ever surpass the first time he saw Chanyeol.

Kyungsoo hugged his pillow excitedly. There was a possibility he could meet Jongin in person…!

And if that didn’t make him feel better, he didn’t know what would.

 

 

*

 

 

Kris took a deep breath.

He stood in front of his father’s headquarters. The taxi had dropped him off in the middle of nowhere, where there was only one gravel road, and only two buildings in sight and they were on the same lot.

They looked run down on the outside, but inside they gleamed as if they were brand new. The tall, leaning brick building was the dorms for the assassins, and the smaller building, which was in better shape, with a much more sturdy roof and foundation, was the Research lab.

Kris walked slowly toward the Research lab, watching his feet step in the tall grass. He found himself at the door of the Research lab, closing his fists and regretting his decision.

Kris sighed and ran a hand down his face slowly. His father knew his weak spot.

Kris cocked his head. Of course, he did. His father always knew how to get what he wanted. In reality, he was just his father’s puppet.

The thought of Kris’s father triggered an angry flame, and out of frustration, he banged furiously on the door.

Shocked by his actions, Kris quickly recoiled, in a deep breath. When he got no response from anyone inside, he tried the steel knob. Finding it wasn’t locked, he opened it and peered through.

The room was messy, with tons of stacks of papers everywhere. From the floor to the steel tables filling the room, there was no a foot of space without a piece of paper. The walls were made of white brick and the floors of black tile, completely boring.

Kris walked inside, looking around. There was no sight of any other person in the room. There were multiple laptops and small TV screens blasting newscasts from all over the world in different languages, but not anyone else.

Kris set his brief case carefully on top of a small stack of paper and took his coat off, dangling it from his hand as he examined the room.

A sweet aroma filled the air. Sleep deprived and hungry Kris wafted the air and nearly drooled. Was that…donuts?

Kris turned around and stuck his nose in the air, using it to guide him to the spot. He made his way through the maze of tables and found the jackpot. A 12 pack of assorted donuts was left open in the corner, along with two cups of coffee.

Grateful to whatever Gods were watching him, Kris picked a donut and could feel his taste buds thanking him. He bit into it, closing his eyes and savoring the taste.

“So you’re a chocolate glaze and sprinkles kind of guy, huh?”

Kris nearly jumped a mile into the air. He spun around, eyes wide and found a smaller male staring at him, thick framed glasses resting on his small, pale face.

“I’m a raspberry filling kind of guy, myself though.” The man crossed his hands behind him. “Every time I see a chocolate glazed and sprinkled donut, I ask myself, is all of that extra sugar really necessary?”

Kris regained his composure and straightened his vest and wiped the crumbs off of his mouth and shirt. “W-Who are you?”

The man smiled, his cheeks glowing. “My name is Suho. I am the Research Lab director. Nice to meet you!”

Kris stuck out his hand, taking another bite of the donut with the other hand as he shook Suho’s hand reluctantly. “Have you been here the whole time?”

Suho shrugged slightly. “More or less.”

Kris furrowed his eyebrows. “What kind of answer is that?”

Suho just shrugged and turned around waving at Kris with his hand. “Come here. Let me explain to you how things work around here. It’s a simple process really-“

Behind Suho, Kris pulled out a chair and plopped down. He sat with his leg crossed over his other, holding the donut high in the air with the other.

Suho swiveled around and stared at him in shock. “What do you think you’re doing?”

Kris bit the donut and answered with his mouth full. "I’m just going to straighten this out here. I am the next in line for Lee International, your employer. My father just stuck me here to get rid of me and keep a close eye on me. I'm not here to do any work."

Suho rolled his eyes and swatted Kris's leg with a roll of paper.

Kris jumped, dropping crumbs of the donut on himself. "Hey! Do you know how expensive this suit is?"

Suho turned around. "Yes. Now let's get to work. I need a hand around here. Your hand seems pretty large, don’t you think?"

Suho turned around, grinning like an idiot and chuckling at his dumb joke.

Kris stared at him blankly. "What?"

"Can you go sort those papers for me?" Suho started sorting through piles of papers, pointing at Kris from behind his back.

“Oh and before I forget!” Suho ran across the lab and grabbed a coat hanger from a closet in the back of the room. He lifted a large white lab coat identical to his own and handed it to Kris. “Here! It makes the job seem more official!”

Kris had enough. He swatted the coat from Suho’s hand and crossed his arms across his chest. “I’m not going to wear that stupid thing.”

Kris felt a violent strike to his head. He cowered and yelped in pain and fell against the table behind him, causing all of the papers to fly.

Suho threw the coat at Kris. “I was up late last night sewing that for you. You better wear it!”

Suho straightened his own and glared at the taller male. He stomped across the room and went back to work. “Get to work, please. Picks those papers up and sort them in alphabetical order. You know your abc’s right?”

Kris and Suho’s eyes met icily.  Kris looked away first, huffily putting the coat on. He hated how it fit his shoulders perfectly and how it was so comfortable.

He bent down and picked up the papers, muttering expletives under his breath.

Kris set the papers down, sending another glare at the smaller male across the room.

Working here with him was going to be extremely difficult to handle.

Kris clenched his fists. These were the times that Kris hated his father the most.

 

*

 

Mr. Lee stared outside of the windows behind his desk. He loved the view of the immense skyscrapers and of the sunset. Everything was just so artificial. It was indescribable, but the fact that everything was predetermined for him by society could not provide him with any more satisfaction.

Slowly he stood up from his chair, cursing his aching body. He hobbled over to the small table and picked up the small remote next to the coffee machine. He pressed a button and the view changed to its normal reality: a dusty concrete wall.

He sat back down in his chair and the door burst open.

Mr. Lee’s head snapped up, his mouth open and ready to bark at his secretary for not announcing a visitor.

But instead, his blood ran cold. A tall, young man stood in the doorway, dressed in black, holding a knife to his secretary’s throat.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Lee.” She choked out, tears of panic pouring from her big brown eyes. “I couldn’t stop him.”

Mr. Lee frowned but kept his cool demeanor. He ushered the boy forward, inspecting him. The boy had spiky black hair and dark bags underneath his eyes. He would be considered handsome if it weren’t for his murderous glare.

The boy kicked the doors closed and threw his secretary to the floor. She clutched at and gasped for air, heaving.

Mr. Lee folded his hands on the table. “And to whom do I owe the pleasure?”

The boy spat on the floor and approached the desk. He dropped a manila folder on the desk. “Lee Sooman. I’m here to find someone.”

Mr. Lee opened the manila folder and was not shocked to find a certain face inside.

Mr. Lee looked up. “You can find him. What’s in it for me?”

The boy smiled. “I have skills. I’ve been trained in wushu for more than ten years. I’m China’s champion. I’m at your disposal.”

Mr. Lee sat back in his chair.  “My assassins are specially trained. Not just anyone can become my employee.”

The boy smirked. “You don’t want to turn me down. I know your secret.” He took out a photo from his leather jacket pocket.

Mr. Lee squinted. The photo was of a boy with bright, large eyes, a grin, and big ears.

Mr. Lee closed the manila folder without a second glance. “And what do you need 060592 for?”

The boy flexed his arms. “Revenge. He killed my father. Under your orders, of course.” He cocked his head. “You don’t care if I dispose of him, do you?”

Mr. Lee didn’t say a word, but his expression said it all.

The boy cackled. “God, you’re just like the rumors proclaim. Unfaithful, cunning, and detached. Perfect.”

Mr. Lee stood up and offered his hand to the boy.

The boy shook his hand firmly. “Huang Zitao in your service.”

He spun around and sauntered out of the room, giving the secretary an extra kick on his way out.

Mr. Lee sat back down in his chair, turning it around to face the concrete wall.

His past is surely coming back to haunt him.

 

*

 

Baekhyun couldn’t sleep. He stared at his ceiling, calling sleep. He tossed and turned, tangling his legs in his sheets.

At last, he couldn’t stand waiting anymore. He sat up and stalked to the trapdoor. He unfurled the ladder and climbed down into the hallway. He made sure to be quiet and not to disturb Kai, Xiumin, or Lay.

He climbed the roof of the dorms and sat on top, making sure to sit on the spots that were certain not to cave in. He sat cross-legged, staring at the sky above him.

Baekhyun thought about Chanyeol. What was Chanyeol doing right now? Baekhyun’s chest softened. Was he staring at the same sky Baekhyun was?

Baekhyun curled his knees to his chest. He hoped not. He wished for Chanyeol to be curled up in bed, sleeping…and dreaming.

“Dreaming of Baekhyun?” His mind whispered. Face red, Baekhyun buried his face in his knees.

What was this feeling? He had never felt this way before.  Baekhyun had only felt cold his entire life. Never had he felt something so warm.

His whole body tingled at the thought of Chanyeol. Baekhyun shut his eyes, embarrassed by his own thoughts. He sat up and ran his fingers through his hair.

Life had never turned out to be so difficult until Park Chanyeol showed up.