The Only One

One Thread

 

You shine so much that it makes me sad

A prism that has millions of colors

Like a shooting star

You and me

Love Paint (every afternoon)- NU’EST

chapter playlist

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol woke up to the sight of Baekhyun curled up in his arms.

The sun shone against Baekhyun's features, making them appear golden in the early morning light. He really appeared angelic as he slept, his bottom lip protruding slightly in a pout. His brown bangs fell against his eyes.

Instinctively, Chanyeol reached over and moved the hair away from Baekhyun's eyes.

Chanyeol stared at him, his heart swelling in his chest. "What did I do in a past life to deserve Byun Baekhyun...?"

Baekhyun's eyes fluttered open and Chanyeol nearly leapt with surprise.

"Ah! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to wake you."

Baekhyun smiled. "No, it's okay. I don't mind."

Baekhyun wrapped his arms around Chanyeol. "As long as I'm being woken up beside you, then I don't mind at all."

Chanyeol sighed. He was in deep now. Seeing Baekhyun staring up at him with his big brown eyes, he knew there was no going back.

Chanyeol had fallen in love with Baekhyun, and now he was in so deep.

Chanyeol was proud of himself, though. He gave himself a pat on the back.
"Good job, Chanyeol! You got yourself a boyfriend now, who happens to like you back!"

Chanyeol held Baekhyun to his chest, intertwining their legs. "How did you sleep, Baek?"

Baekhyun buried his chest in Chanyeol's t-shirt. "In your arms, I slept very well."

Chanyeol chuckled. "Yah Baek, stop saying things like that. I can't handle it. What's up with that anyway? I thought you were traumatized by last night."

Baekhyun laughed into Chanyeol's chest. He loved the way his laugh sounded. It sounded free. Genuine. With the way his face broke into a grin, Chanyeol felt if he could describe light and happiness in one word, he would say Baekhyun, again and again.

Baekhyun caught Chanyeol's stare, eyes widening as he processed what Chanyeol had just said. His face flushed a bright red, and he buried his face back into Chanyeol's chest.

"So you finally opened your eyes, huh?"

"Yeah, lovey-dovey talk isn't for me. I'll leave that to you," Baekhyun mumbled and turned his head.

"Then what is for you?" Chanyeol asked.

"I don't know. I'll just...hold onto you."

"Okay." Chanyeol Baekhyun's head. "I can live with that."

Baekhyun sat up and stretched; Chanyeol heard multiple bones pop. Baekhyun cursed, and Chanyeol laughed. "You piece of !" Baekhyun yelled. "Why did I listen to you and sleep on this roof?!"

Chanyeol sat up beside him, crying out in pain. "I don't know. Maybe because we were being chased by the police?"

Baekhyun glared and fell back against the roof. "Do you think Jongdae is okay?"

Chanyeol sighed. "Let's see if he shows up Monday, right?"

Baekhyun laughed and whacked Chanyeol's chest. "You're such a terrible friend!"

Chanyeol laughed, "I know."

They stared at the sky and were quiet for a moment.

"Well, it's Saturday." Chanyeol spoke. "Do you have any plans for today?"

"No," Baekhyun shook his head. "I've got nothing. You?"

Chanyeol shook his head and grinned. "Nope. What do you say we go out today?"

Baekhyun beamed. "I'd like that."

Chanyeol sat up on his elbows. "Wait, Baekhyun... You're not worrying anyone by not going home last night, are you?"

Baekhyun's face clouded over. "No, not really."

Chanyeol looked over him for a second more. "Are you sure?"

Baekhyun nodded affirmatively.

Chanyeol clapped his hands and sat up. "Okay! I got this! Let's climb off this roof!"

Baekhyun's jaw dropped. "Chanyeol, are you serious?!"

Chanyeol laughed and stood up and offered his hand to Baekhyun. "Come on, the window to my room is on the back wall. Just follow my lead."

Baekhyun glared at Chanyeol. "If I die falling off this building, I will sue."

Chanyeol ignored him and sat down on the opposite side of the roof, facing the backyard. He swung his legs over and tapped his toe against his room's windowsill. "I got this," Chanyeol reassured Baekhyun.

"Now ... on the other hand, if you fall and die, then I'll laugh."

Chanyeol snorted and lay with his belly on the roof.

"Hey, Giant," Chanyeol, turned to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun bit his lip. "Be careful."

Chanyeol winked. He found the windowsill again with his toe and hopped off of the roof, holding onto its edge. Grasping the roof with one hand, he jiggled the latch on the window and opened it. He crawled into his room and poked his head outside, motioning for Baekhyun to follow him. "C'mon, Baek. You'll be fine. I'll be here to catch you."

Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

Chanyeol looked away from Baekhyun for a split second to blink away the sun in his eyes, but the next thing he new, Baekhyun had kicked himself into Chanyeol's room. He rolled inside skillfully, hopping up and dusting himself up.

Chanyeol gaped at him, and Baekhyun stared back with an unimpressed look. "What?"

Chanyeol shook his head. "Nothing! Um- so, yeah, this is my room."

Chanyeol opened his arms wide in a welcoming gesture, a small smile on his face.

The room was very quaint and humble. A small bed Baekhyun had a hard time envisioning Chanyeol fitting into sat in the corner, while a messy desk with a rolling chair sat opposite of it. A dresser and a closet were set up at the opposite wall, along with a door and a dirty mirror. Posters of people holding guitars hung upon the wall behind the bed.

Baekhyun smiled. "It's very...Chanyeol."

Chanyeol snorted. "I didn't know I was an adjective."

Baekhyun sat down on Chanyeol's bed. "The room reminds me of you, that's all."

Chanyeol combed through his dressers. "Let's see if we can get you a change of clothes. You're going to have to keep your underwear and pants on, sorry about that-"

"Hey!"

Chanyeol laughed and tossed Baekhyun a white t-shirt. "It might fit a little big."

Baekhyun caught it and looked at it. "So...I change?"

"Yeah."

"Right here?"

"Yeah."

"Right now?"

"Baekhyun, shut up and change."

Chanyeol opened his closet and lifted his shirt above him arms, revealing his muscular back.

Baekhyun inevitably found himself staring. He wanted to trace every plane of Chanyeol's back - tan skin pulled over taut muscles. His body could be compared to that of his own and of Xiumin's after years of training.

Chanyeol caught his eyes and winked. "Enjoying the show?"

Baekhyun jumped and diverted his eyes, blushing furiously. He quickly pulled off his shirt and put on Chanyeol's, the short sleeves of Chanyeol's t-shirt meeting Baekhyun's elbows.

Baekhyun put his own sweater on top and found Chanyeol fixing his hair in the mirror. He had changed into an oversized hoodie with red lettering.

Baekhyun turned and traced the posters on the wall. "Do you like these bands, Chanyeol?"

Chanyeol watched Baekhyun through the mirror. "No, not really. I really like guitars. I've always wanted to learn, but I've never had enough money to buy one."

"Finished?" Chanyeol opened the door and poked his head out. "The coast is clear. It looks like everyone is still asleep. Let's go!"

Chanyeol ran out the door; Baekhyun didn't even have time to question when Chanyeol grabbed his wrist and dragged him out of the room.

They ran down the hallway, Chanyeol stopped the pair in front of a staircase. He sat and slid himself down the banister, motioning for Baekhyun to follow.

Baekhyun followed behind him, silently screaming as the staircase curled down. Chanyeol landed on his feet and caught Baekhyun as he nearly flew into the opposite wall.

"Fun, isn't it?" Chanyeol quipped.

"No!" Baekhyun whispered angrily.

Chanyeol, with Baekhyun in tow, tiptoed past the kitchen and dining hall into the foyer.

Chanyeol creaked the front door open and squeezed though it, pulling Bakehyun through also, then closed the door quietly.

They ran down the cobblestone pathway, creaking the wrought iron gates open and escaping.

Chanyeol breathed a sigh of relief. "That was a close one!"

Suddenly, the front door burst open, revealing a stout old woman in a nun's attire.

"Park Chanyeol, what do you think you're doing?!" She screeched.

"Head Sister Miriam! Run! Now!" Chanyeol shouted, running down the block. Baekhyun followed closely behind him. "Hurry!" Chanyeol shouted over his shoulder. "She's scarier than those policemen. She's not afraid to gut you!"

They ran a few more blocks, collapsing against a light pole. "Now that was a close one." Chanyeol breathed, pressing a hand against his forehead. "Head Sister Miriam has a face of a frog, but she will eat you alive."

"Poisonous frog, then?" Baekhyun panted.
Chanyeol chuckled.

"Let's go." Chanyeol took Baekhyun's hand and interlaced their fingers.

 

*

 

"What fun things are there to do here?" Baekhyun asked.

"Hmm," Chanyeol thought. "There's a skating rink. I'm not allowed there. There's the movie theater. I'm not allowed there either. The mall, yeah, no."

Baekhyun narrowed his eyes at Chanyeol. "What did you do to get banned for a movie theater?"

"Hey, I just happended to be next to the butter machine when it decided to explode."

Baekhyun shook his head. "Let's just go walking."

Chanyeol nodded. "As long as I'm with you, things will be great."

Baekhyun grinned and punched Chanyeol softly in the arm. "Stop it, you're making my heart race."

"My pleasure."

 

*

 

The two spent their morning together, walking hand in hand. They wandered across an IHOP and decided to eat breakfast. Baekhyun had to stop Chanyeol from ordering every single thing on the menu because he was absolutely starving.

There also happened to be a carnival in town that weekend. They passed by it, the sounds of children laughing and pop music playing blasting into the street.

Baekhyun urged Chanyeol to buy tickets to go, tugging on his arm.

"Why do you want to go so bad?" Chanyeol asked, giving his money to the lady at the ticket booth.

"I've never been to a carnival before." Baekhyun said. "I've heard about them, but I've never been to one."

"Really?" Chanyeol asked. He had been to a carnival once, and only once. Someone had donated tickets to the orphanage, and Head Sister Miriram grudgingly had to use them wisely. They took the children on a trip, and that did not end well. Chanyeol ended up throwing a dart into Sister Clairsse's headpiece instead of the target - by accident.

The lady gave them their tickets, and they entered the carnival.

The carnival was full of rides, games, food booths, and children. It was incredibly noisy and busy.

Chanyeol nearly stomped on a toddler upon entering, but Baekhyun held him back in time. "Chanyeol, watch where you're going!! There are tiny humans running around!"

Chanyeol had to be extra careful where he walked, but he let Baekhyun lead him through the many people.

Chanyeol enjoyed seeing Baekhyun have so much fun. The way Baekhyun's eyes lit up reminded him of himself when he was a child, before he got his spirits crushed by reality, of course.*

Baekhyun clung to Chanyeol's arm and pointed out things as they walked through the carnival, the smaller boy's mouth agape in awe.

Baekhyun pulled Chanyeol with him onto various rides, leaving him dizzied.

Chanyeol bought Baekhyun a cotton candy to share, and they continued to the game booths.

Baekhyun was nearly pulled to the kissing booth by an attractive woman, but Chanyeol threw the woman a nasty glare and hid Baekhyun behind him.

They arrived at a certain booth where giant teddy bears were hung for prizes. Chanyeol caught Baekhyun eyeing one.

"You want one, Baek?"

Baekhyun shook his head. "No, it's okay, you don't have to-"

Chanyeol approached the man at the booth. "I'll play."

He handed the man a few dollars and the man handed him a ball. "Knock down all of the bottles and you can win a prize."

Chanyeol tossed the ball. "Easy enough."

Baekhyun stood beside him, arms crossed. "Chanyeol, you don't have to do this."

"Baek, I'm getting you that bear."

"I'm good at destroying stuff anyway," he shrugged.

He tossed the ball at the stack of bottles, but missed. He tried again, but failed. He used up his last try but still did not knock down any pins.

Chanyeol handed the guy more bills. "I'm going again."

Baekhyun watched as Chanyeol handed the man more and more bills. Baekhyun hid his face in his hands as Chanyeol missed again...and again...

Regretfully, Baekhyun thought about his own accuracy and skills, but decided to keep quiet.

"Give it up, Chanyeol. You're going to go broke!"

"I'm getting you that stupid bear, Baek."
Chanyeol handed the man one more bill. "This is my last bill."

With one last toss, all of the bottles fell.
Chanyeol pumped his fist into the air. "Yes!"

The man took down the giant bear and handed it to Chanyeol.

Chanyeol smiled at Baekhyun. "I told you I'd get you this bear, Baekhyun."

Baekhyun laughed. "You did!" He took the bear from Chanyeol and gave it a tight squeeze. "Thank you, Chanyeol."

Chanyeol ran his fingers through Baekhyun's hair. "Anytime."

They decided to buy an ice cream sundae to share and found a table to sit and eat.
Baekhyun sat the bear beside him. "I'm going to name this bear Yeol," He said.

"Why?" Chanyeol shoveled whipped cream into his mouth.

"Because he reminds me of you: happy and lovable."

Chanyeol chuckled.

Baekhyun ate some ice cream. "I've been meaning to ask...ah, this is so embarrassing..."

Chanyeol watched Baekhyun, amused.
"...Do you work out?"

Chanyeol burst out in laughter. "You're still thinking about that? I'm on your mind a lot, aren't I?"

Baekhyun made a face. "Whatever, just answer my question."

"Okay." Chanyeol smiled. "I don't work out."

"What?" Baekhyun was in disbelief. "I don't believe you."

"It's true. The Head Sisters just work me a lot to the bone. I'm the child that has stayed in their custody the longest, and the most troublesome. I guess they think of it as me paying them back for wreaking so much havoc and for making them take care of me so long. They make me mow the lawn and do other backbreaking errands."

"Plus," Chanyeol flexed. "I lift children every day. Of course I'm going to be ripped."

Baekhyun chuckled, but laid his spoon down. "Chanyeol."

Chanyeol finally met Baekhyun's eyes.

"I know you've felt unwanted your whole life. I hate that you've had to go through that because you don't deserve it at all. Even if nobody else has never wanted you, know that...I do. And if I'm the only person who does, then I'm the only one you need."

Chanyeol's eyes widened at the words that seemed to flow so easily out of Baekhyun's mouth.

Realizing what he said, Baekhyun covered his mouth shyly and tittered, "Ah, why am I so embarrassing?"

Chanyeol reached over the table and embraced Baekhyun in a tight hug. "You're making me fall for you even more."

"Um...Chanyeol?"

"Yes?"

"You put your elbow in the ice cream."

"....."

 

*

 

The two spent their entire day together. They walked back to the orphanage, so tired they were leaning on each other.
Chanyeol carried Yeol on his shoulders, much like a child.

"Chanyeol! Look!" Baekhyun pointed into the sky.

Chanyeol followed his gaze. "The sun is setting."

"We've spent an entire day together." Baekhyun smiled.

Chanyeol squeezed Baekhyun's hand. "Wow..."

They reached the familiar gates.
Chanyeol faced Baekhyun and handed him the bear. "I guess this is goodbye."

Baekhyun sighed and unexpectedly reached up and planted a small kiss on Chanyeol's cheek. "Thank you for today. I had a lot of fun."

Chanyeol absentmindedly reached for the place where Baekhyun's lips had been.

"Me too. Baekhyun, can I ask you something?"

He fidgeted around a little. "Are we dating?"

"Do you want to?" Baekhyun asked.

"Yes! Of course." Chanyeol laughed, his eyes creasing. "Do you?"

Baekhyun's smiled and dropped his eyes shyly. "Yes."

"I was just making sure that even though we have mutual feelings, we're still on the same page," Chanyeol said. "So...you're my boyfriend...?"

Baekhyun blushed and rubbed the back of his neck. "I guess...If you want me to be."

Chanyeol held Baekhyun to his chest, dropping Yeol to the concrete. "Yes, I do."

The lights in the orphanage flickered off and on. "Ah, seems like a light's going out." Chanyeol sighed. "They'll probably be looking for me to fix it right about now. I have to go."

Chanyeol sighed again and stared at Baekhyun's eyes. "I guess this is goodbye for now."

"What about a goodbye kiss?" Baekhyun suggested, his face still red. Chanyeol noticed that the red in his cheeks made his fair brown freckles stand out.

Without another word, Chanyeol leaned down and kissed Baekhyun, his arms wrapping around his waist.

Baekhyun stood on his tip toes and wrapped his arms around Chanyeol's neck. His body arched backward, and his foot popped into the air.

They broke away after a minute or so, and Baekhyun dropped his foot immediately.

"How cliché," Chanyeol laughed, poking fun at Baekhyun.

"Shut up!" Baekhyun said indignantly, hiding his face behind his hands.

"A foot-popping kiss? I've watched the Princess Diaries, too."

Baekhyun picked up Yeol from the ground and turned around. "I'm leaving now!"

"Bye, Baekhyun!"

Baekhyun walked away- not without sneaking one last glance at Chanyeol, who caught him.

"Miss me already?"

"Shut up!"