Autumn

One Thread

 

 

You came to me without a sound,

Carefully spreading more and more

Everything I got to know through you is beautiful

I want to fall asleep forever in this dream

First Love- EXO

 

 

 

Chanyeol...

Baekhyun...

Chanyeol...!

Kyungsoo couldn't bear to watch them. It felt as if the world was spinning, and his heart in his chest was crumbling.

Kyungsoo couldn't breathe, and if felt as if he was hyperventilating. His chest heaved and he knew he had to get out of there.

Blinking away his tears, he shot one more glance at Chanyeol and flung the door open and pushed past Jongdae, who screamed as he dropped his lunch tray down the stairs.

Kyungsoo raced down the stairs and wiped away his flying tears. He escaped in the courtyard, where it was empty and noiseless.

He collapsed onto a bed of colored leaves, sprawled on his back. He closed his eyes tightly shut.

Kyungsoo bit his lip and tightened his abdomen.

Don't feel, He pleaded.

Kyungsoo bit harder, the taste of blood filling his mouth.

Don't feel.

You promised yourself, Kyungsoo, he pleaded to himself. You promised you wouldn't let this happen to you. You told yourself you would focus on school, and nothing but making the family name proud. Feelings only hinder and blind those who harness them.

Kyungsoo ripped the skin on his lip, his teeth losing their grip. He cried out in pain but didn't move.

When did his feelings for Chanyeol become so strong?

When did he fall in love with his best friend?

When did he become so useless?

Kyungsoo's thoughts came to a halt when he felt footsteps approaching.

Jongdae stood over Kyungsoo, eyeing the boy with a look of concern.
Jongdae lay down beside Kyungsoo, closing his eyes and resting his hands on his chest.

Kyungsoo opens his eyes and sneaked a glance at Jongdae, his lips tentatively.

They watched the colored leaves fall from their branches and slowly float down to the bottom of the tree.

Jongdae broke the silence. "Are you okay?"

Kyungsoo sighed and closed his eyes. "Sure. I just needed some air."

Jongdae flipped on his side, propping his head up with his elbow. "I'm asking if you're okay."

Kyungsoo turned, giving Jongdae his back. "I'm fine."

Jongdae stood up and sat down on the other side of Kyungsoo, laying down in the same position, his eyes never leaving him. "I'm sorry, Kyungsoo. I understand what you're going through."

Kyungsoo flipped over again, stubborn. "Jongdae, you don't understand."

"I don't understand?" Jongdae spoke quietly. "I don't understand what its like to see the person you love the most, fade away before your eyes?"

Kyungsoo was silent for a moment more. "I'm sorry."

Jongdae said nothing and laid back down flat on his back.

A bright green leaf fell from a nearby tree branch, sailing ever so slowly to the ground. It landed on top of a pile of orange, crimson, and gold leaves.

"Are you going to give up?" Jongdae asked.

Kyungsoo sighed again. He thought of the boy who didn't care about his money, who never left him alone, and protected him. Then he thought about the boy he couldn't read, with the cold, dead eyes.

There was no hesitation in Kyungsoo's voice.

"No."


*


Kyungsoo was 11 years old. It was the 6th grade.

Kyungsoo didn't have any friends. He was always alone, pressured by his family ever since grade school to be the best in his class. Kyungsoo was scrawny and pale, and forced to study constantly. He never experienced the feeling of friendship.

Kyungsoo sat down in the hallway during lunch by himself, eating his sandwich surrounded by books.

Suddenly a shadow loomed over him.

Kyungsoo looked up frightened, finding a tall 8th grader and his group of friends standing over him.

"What a nerd! Look at him, reading. Is that gonna make you better at sports?"

Kyungsoo cleared in fear, hiding behind his textbook.

The tall boy wrenched Kyungsoo up by the collar, shoving him against the wall.

Kyungsoo yelped, shaking in the bully's grip.

"Aww, is the nerd scared? Do I need to give you a reason to be scared?"

The bully punched him, and Kyungsoo cried out in pain.

"Are you gonna cry to your mommy now, nerd??"

Suddenly, a textbook flew. It hit the bully square in the face, and he flew and hit the opposite wall in pain, dropping Kyungsoo to the floor. He crumpled to the floor, clenching his bloody face.

"What the f-!"

Another textbook flew, silencing the bully.

Kyungsoo held his hands in front of his face, trembling.

A tall shadow held another textbook in his hands, lifting it high in the air and smashed it against the bully repeatedly.

"Here's the reason for you to be scared, !"

The bully stood up and scurried away, gripping his side.

The boy grabbed Kyungsoo's backpack and threw it at him, causing him to trip and crash to the floor.

"There! Maybe that'll teach you how to talk to people correctly. Hitting people is not a good way to get them to tutor you in math!"

Kyungsoo watched in awe as he removed his fingers from his face. The bully and his friends had fled, and it was only him and his savior.

Kyungsoo gazed at the boy before him in adoration.

The boy was tall, especially for a 6th grader, and had immense strength. He was lanky, with big hands and ears. He had wavy light brown hair that framed his face. His eyes were wide and were particularly murderous, his face set in a frown.

His stare moved to Kyungsoo, and his gaze softened.

"Hey, are you okay?"

Kyungsoo nodded vigorously, fixing his glasses and stuttering. "Y-Yes!"

The boy offered a hand and Kyungsoo took it gratefully. "Th-Thank you."

"Don't pay attention to them." The boy smiled. "They're just jealous of your intelligence and grades."

Kyungsoo stood up, unable to look the boy in the eyes. "Thank you for helping me-" He shuffled his feet nervously. "Um...Ah-"

The boy stuck out his hand. "My name's Park Chanyeol. What's yours?"

Kyungsoo smiled softly. His savior's name...was Park Chanyeol.

Why did that name sound so familiar?

Kyungsoo's hand shook as he placed it in the boy's. "Do Kyungsoo."

He waited for Chanyeol's reaction. Kyungsoo lifted his eyes, watching his face, but Chanyeol's face remained unchanged.

Kyungsoo was confused. "D-Don't you know? I'm from the Do family... My father is Do Seungsoo...We have a lot of money..."

Kyungsoo raised his voice. "Don't you know?"

Chanyeol looked at him, his gaze still soft, but stern. "I don't care how much money you have. I didn't help you because your family is rich. The amount of money a person has isn't important compared to who they truly are."

Kyungsoo let out a small gasp, before he could say another world, a teacher's voice echoed down the hallway.

"Park Chanyeol! To the principal's office! Now!"

Chanyeol groaned, rubbing his face with his hands. "Not again."

That's when the pieces in Kyungsoo clicked. His jaw dropped as the teacher came and pulled Chanyeol by the ear to the office.

Park Chanyeol was the school's infamous troublemaker. He was known in around the entire school for his stupid pranks, his temper, and his fights.

Kyungsoo watched as Chanyeol got dragged down the hallway. Chanyeol waved goodbye and smiled at him weakly as the teacher reprimanded him.

Kyungsoo had been saved by Park Chanyeol?!

And he didn't care about his family's money...?!

Kyungsoo sat back down on the floor in shock.

This day could not get any weirder.


*


It turned out, Kyungsoo and Park Chanyeol had a lot of things in common.

Kyungsoo was isolated because of his lack of social skills, and his background. Chanyeol was ostracized by the student body because of his devilish nature.

To Kyungsoo's surprise, despite Chanyeol's actions, he was actually kind. He had big dreams: to escape the world he lived in and find his path.

From that point on, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo became best friends. Chanyeol scared away Kyungsoo's bullies, and Kyungsoo talked Chanyeol out of doing stupid things.

They complemented each other, like the sweet and sour kick to a Sour Patch kid.

People often asked why a dedicated student like Kyungsoo would hang around with Chanyeol, and Kyungsoo could never explain why. There was just no describing it.

And of course they picked up Jongdae along the way. He just kind of wormed his way into their lives, just plopping down beside them one day, discussing conspiracy theories, ("Jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams!"), and that was the end of it.

Kyungsoo often wondered what it would be like if he had never met Chanyeol...

He didn't like to think about it.


*


Xiumin nursed his mug of coffee, letting its warmth seep through his body.

The leaves' colors were finally changing, and the air was turning chilly. Xiumin absolutely loved the season of autumn. He got to wear the sweaters that he reserved especially for this time of year, and it was neither too hot nor too cold.

Luhan sat down across from Xiumin, wearing the smile that made Xiumin's heart flutter.

They talked for a while in their favorite place in the corner by the window. Their conversation turned to Luhan and school.

"They still haven't found a replacement for my Statistic teacher," Luahn laughed. "I have no idea where he's gone. I actually liked him a lot."

"Really?" Xiumin asked, nervous. "Did he gives you A's like I did?"

"Yeah," Luhan said. "But that's because I'm good at math. I at Chemistry. I'm barely passing. I don't get why I aced my exams with you as my professor."

"Yeah, your essays did ."

Luhan hit Xiumin's arm. "Hey!"

They laughed, meeting each other's eyes. Luhan didn't remove his hand from Xiumin's arm.

"Luhan," Xiumin blurted without thinking. "I feel like I've known you forever."

Luhan's eyes lit up, slowly removing his hand. "M-Me, too."

Xiumin and Luhan were silent, beaming in accomplishment, both comfortably warm in each other's presence.

 

 

*

 

 

Chanyeol got up early the next morning, his chest bursting excitedly. He felt as if he was flying and nothing could bring him down. The sun was shining, and Chanyeol couldn’t help but feel his heart flutter. 

Chanyeol would be seeing Baekhyun today, and any day he saw Baekhyun was a good day.

Chanyeol was the first one up. All of the children still slept soundly in their beds. Chanyeol tiptoed down the hallway to the bathroom, making sure not to wake them up. He washed up quickly, unable to contain his happiness. 

He could only think of Baekhyun. 

He dressed quickly and checked himself in the mirror several times. Chanyeol dressed and changed his outfit seven times. He had never thought much of his appearance, but here he was now, feeling very self-conscious.

Chanyeol looked at himself in the mirror. He fixed his hair so that it was smooth against his head. "Do you think Baekhyun thinks I look good?" He asked himself. 

Chanyeol flashed himself a smile, then exited the room to the stairwell. Chanyeol slid down the banister and landed perfectly on the floor. The children were barely waking up now, rubbing their bleary eyes as they trudged up the stairs.

Chanyeol ruffled their hair, saying cheerily, "Good morning!" 

He went on his way, a light skip in every step. 

Chanyeol opened the kitchen doors, taking a big whiff. "Wow, that smells amazing, Chef!"

Chef Eunice stared at him dumbfounded, stirring a bowl in her big, muscly arms. "It’s grits and gravy - the same breakfast you've been having for 16 years - and you hate it."

Chanyeol grabbed the bowl from the chef and mixed its contents vigorously.  "I have no idea what you're talking about! It's absolutely scrumptious." He dug his finger into the bowl and stuck it into his mouth. "Did I also tell you are looking positively lovely this morning?"

Chanyeol handed the bowl back to the chef as she blushed, swatting him away with her hand. He laughed, snatching a biscuit on his way out the kitchen doors to the dining room.

Chanyeol nearly bumped into Head Sister Miriam as he left the kitchen. She scowled at the sight of him, wagging her finger. “Park Chanyeol! What are you doing up so early? What are you up to?”

Chanyeol gasped. “Head Sister Miriam, good morning! I’m not planning anything at the moment, I just woke up!” He gave her an angelic smile; at this, her eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. 

Chanyeol ran up the stairs, leaving her standing, bewildered and spluttering at the landing. “N-Now, Park Chanyeol, whatever you’re up to, I will not tolerate it!”

Chanyeol gently pushed past her into the hallway. “I hope you have a good day, Head Sister Miriam!”

Chanyeol ran out the door, and for the first time in 16 years, he was not running out of fear. He lifted his face to the sky, letting the early morning rays brush against his face.

Despite Chanyeol’s lack of sleep, he was wildly energetic and alive. He had stayed up all night reading books he had checked out at the school library. They were Baekhyun’s favorites; that he knew because Baekhyun never stopped geeking out whenever he let his guard down.

It was cute seeing Baekhyun’s face light up whenever his favorite novels were mentioned. Chanyeol loved seeing it; he would do anything to initiate a conversation with Baekhyun, anyway.

Chanyeol made his way into the world, a certain boy being held high in his heart.

Chanyeol was in love with Baekhyun, and he couldn’t wait to see him again.

 

 

*

 

 

Baekhyun woke up bright and early. This was a surprise. Usually, someone had to come and drag him out of bed - either Suho or Lay, the two motherly figures.

But lately, things have changed. His insides were begging for him to awake. As the night began to transition into day, he was awake and stretching.

He had only one thing as his motivation, and that was Park Chanyeol.

At the thought, Baekhyun felt himself go soft. Everything inside of him melted - every part of him that had ever been hardened by the turmoil in his life. 

He stood up and faced the day. He carefully uncurled the ladder, let his bare feet pad down the carpet into the kitchen, and got to work.

He slaved over the stove, mixing pancake batter and humming under his breath. He tied Lay’s apron around his waist and a colorful bandana around his head, pouring the batter onto the skillet and frying eggs in a pan on the side. 

Baekhyun set the table, pouring a generous amount of orange juice in four glasses, and folded the napkins with silverware lying beside the plate. He flipped the pancakes, hearing a throat clear behind him.

Baekhyun turned around, greeting Kai, Lay, and Xiumin with a smile. “Good morning! I’m making breakfast before I go to school. Would you like some?”

The three stood there in the doorway, looking utterly perplexed. Kai’s jaw literally dropped, Xiumin closing it for him, his own mouth slightly agape in astonishment as well.

Lay ran up to Baekhyun and threw the spatula from his hand. “Baek, are you feeling okay?” He ran his hand over Baekhyun’s face, leaving a hand on his forehead. “Your temperature is perfectly normal. Are you experiencing chills? Nausea? Are these the warning signs of anemia? Are you anemic, Baek? What the  is anemia-“

“I’m fine!” Baekhyun laughed. 

Everyone in the room froze. Baekhyun was laughing…and it sounded genuine!

After another moment, Xiumin plopped down in a seat at the table. “Baekhyun, are you sure? You’re not poisoning with these fluffy pancakes, are you?”

“Why would I try to poison you?” Baekhyun asked, confused.

All three played off their laughter with coughs. “I don’t know, Baek," Xiumin snickered. 

Kai and Lay sat down beside Xiumin, watching Baekhyun keenly as he flipped the pancakes one more time.

“Okay, so should I call an ambulance or do you think we can make it to the hospital?” Kai whispered behind his hand.

Baekhyun laughed again. “Thank you guys for worrying about me, but I’m feeling completely healthy.”

He served the three pancakes, bacon, and eggs. Baekhyun set the syrup bottle in the middle of the table and watched the others as they inspected their plates.

“Eat up,” Baekhyun said. “It’ll get cold.”

Without another protest, the three dug into their breakfast, exclaiming cries of delight.

“Wow, Baek, you’re such a good cook!” Xiumin sighed.

Baekhyun untied his apron and bandana. “Thank you, it’s just a little something I brought back from Paris after the Louvre mission.”

Baekhyun grabbed his backpack and headed for the door, leaving the three alone at the table as they gobbled down their breakfast. “Goodbye! Have a good day!”

Baekhyun stepped out into the sunlight, grateful he had gotten up so early.

The sun rose in front of him over the desolate fields, a large beast awakening from its slumber, bringing light and color to the sky.

Baekhyun stared at the sunrise, wondering about Chanyeol. Did Chanyeol enjoy watching sunrises? 

Baekhyun smiled to himself, unable to explain the surging emotion within him. 

Baekhyun was in love with Park Chanyeol, and he was happy.

 

*

 

Jongdae entered the corner café. He came here for its location, precise and strategic in the city he lived in. It was a central point, equidistant to any point within the vicinity of the city, which was incredibly helpful. It was a quick walk after a school day when he needed a bite to eat and work to do. 

Jongdae sat down at a table in the corner, rubbing his hands together and blowing on them. He was freezing, despite the fingerless gloves he was wearing. He had never really gotten accustomed to the frigid weather in Seoul. Jongdae considered himself more of a sunny kind of person; whenever the skies were cloudy, he always felt himself get depressed. 

If he ever had a past life, Jongdae liked to think he would have been a sunflower - always turned to the Sun.

Jongdae reached inside of his jacket pocket, pushing aside his smart phone to find his other phone, an older version of a flip phone. He had gotten it half price at the flea market, and it was extremely convenient for numerous reasons.

He through his contacts, looking for the right name of his client…

Suddenly, Jongdae felt a presence before him. Warily placing the phone down on the table, Jongdae averted his eyes to the person standing before him.

A short male stood in front of him, his handsome face set in a frown. His dark brown hair was a bit ruffled, and his eyes squinting at Jongdae in a glare.

Jongdae was appalled at the fact that he hadn’t even met the guy and he was already giving him a dirty look.

Jongdae raised his eyebrow. “Who the are you?”

The boy didn’t hesitate. “Who the are you?”

Jongdae slung his arm around the chair. “I asked you first.”

The boy mocked Jongdae's voice, making a face. “I asked you second.”*

Jongdae set his face in a scowl; the boy curled his lips in disgust.

A waiter about the same size with a pretty face approached the boy, tapping his shoulder and casting an uneasy glance in Jongdae’s direction.  “Minseok, I saved you a spot over here!”

The boy’s face immediately broke into a smile. “Oh, great! I’ll meet you there.” Minseok headed in the opposite direction - not without sending another hiss in Jongdae’s direction.

Jongdae narrowed his eyes at Minseok. He continued to click on his phone, thanking the waiter for bringing his sandwich and cup of coffee.

The world was always out to get him in some way, wasn’t it?

 

 

*All credit for this dialogue goes to Most Popular Girls in School [Ep 1]*