Delirious

One Thread

 

When you’re glad to see me

My heart flutters

It’s like walking on a cloud

Like magic, I’m taking one more step to you

The season of you and me has come again

Beautiful 두근거려- BAEKHYUN

 

 

 

 

Jongdae ran as fast as he could, nearly tripping over a fire hydrant and a woman and her dog. Jongdae had a faint idea of where he was going; the only place he could think of at the moment where the police would not attempt to find him.

Jongdae turned sharply to the left, this route embedded in his memory. He turned his head slightly, muttering a curse under his breath. The cops were on him by foot now, and they were gaining fast.

“Stop right there!” One of them shouted, waving their search light in the air.

Jongdae spat on the ground tauntingly and ran even faster, his lungs begging against it.

Jongdae found his way to the bright lights of the hospital and ran through the automatic doors into the lobby. He ran up to the receptionists’ desk, hitting it hard, panting, and startling the people in the lobby.

“Hello, Jongdae!” One of the nurses quipped. “Haven’t seen you in a while! Here for a visit?”

Jongdae nodded vigorously, casting a glance behind him. “I’ll be going up now, if anybody is looking for me, don’t tell them I was here.”

Jongdae ran to the elevators, the nurses chattering puzzledly among themselves. He waved a greeting at the familiar security guard on duty and pressed the button on the elevators, the doors opening conveniently.

Jongdae stepped inside of the elevator, his finger automatically pressing the button for the 4th floor.

The floor was quiet and solemn, as it usually was. The elevators opened slowly, and Jongdae finally steadying himself and his adrenaline, walked down the corridor, reminiscing all of the times he had done so before. He greeted the nurses as usual, plastering on his charisma and signature smile.

He reached the end of the corridor to the last room beside the window and potted plant and stared at the wooden door for a moment. Jongdae’s hand hesitated as he wrapped them around the door knob and gently pulled.

Inside was the same familiar sight: his mother, asleep with multiple noisy machines and tubes hooked up to her frail and brittle body.

Jongdae pulled the chair in the corner beside her and grabbed her cold hand. He rubbed it between his own, squeezing it.

“Hey, mom.” Jongdae’s voice broke a little bit. “It’s been a long time. I-I’m sorry. I can’t provide any excuses.”

He was silent for a moment longer, resting his head against her. Jongdae had given up hope that she actually heard what he talked about and felt him, but there was no point in sitting there in silence.

“If only you were awake right now,” Jongdae absentmindedly played with the tubes around his mother. “And I would be going right the right path.”

“I’ve grown a lot, you know, Mom.” Jongdae said, trying to keep his voice steady. “I’m 16 now, my birthday is in a few more months. I baked myself a cake last year, and I nearly burned down the apartment.” Jongdae laughed sadly. “Mrs. Kwon, my landlord nearly killed me. I remember how you would bake me a cake every year, and it would be the same flavor, same decorations, the same delicious taste, but just a different number of candles.”

Jongdae wiped his tears with the back of his hand. “Your birthday is coming up too. I’ll bring you a cake, I promise. Hopefully when I make it, I’ll be successful. And maybe I’ll sing you “Happy birthday,” too.”

Jongdae paused. He hadn’t sang since before the accident, not a single note. There wasn’t any point when there wasn’t anyone to sing with. His mother had always loved his voice, and was certain he would become a star one day. That was a long shot now, since Jongdae let that dream wash down the drain, along with the hope his mother would ever wake up. Especially with how he had ruined his life, he doubted he would be getting far.

Jongdae nodded. “Yes, Mom, I’ll sing for you on your birthday.”

Jongdae proceeded to talk about his time away from her, and about anything and everything. It was the least he could do now. She was the one woman Jongdae had ever loved, and would love, and it was all he could ever do for her as she lay blissfully asleep, forever.

 

*

 

 

Jongdae left the hospital late that night, way after visitors’ hours. The nurse in his mother’s ward and downstairs chatted Jongdae up, especially since he had been gone for a while. The nurses there loved him; ever since he was a kid and the accident happened, he had been a frequent visitor. They’d bring him gifts and food, and treated him as their very own child. He was a favorite, and he used to be prideful in their affection. Now, Jongdae second-guessed their intentions, as their affection was most probably a sign of pity. He had practically lost his mother at a young age…what was there not to pity?

Jongdae skirted around the roads, still wary of the police guarding the area. He turned a corner, mostly sure that they had gone by this time, right onto a block with a stationed police car, sirens on.

Jongdae raised his head to the sky. “!” He cursed, as the police officers immediately pounced on him, pinning him to the car. He sighed as the police man drawled on with the same boring speech about his freedom of speech in jail, or whatever.

Quickly thinking, Jongdae interrupted the officer. “Hey.”

Jongdae reached for his back pocket with the hand cuffs, grabbing his wallet. He handed it innocently to the officer, who took it skeptically.

“Open it, and you can have all the cash you want. Just let me out of the cuffs, would ya?” Jongdae said, winking at the officer.

The officer did as Jongdae had instructed, and gaped at the amount of folded bills in his wallet. “Wow, are you serious? This is a lot of money for a kid.”

Jongdae rolled his eyes. “I may be a kid, but I still got ways of making money. Now would you let me out of the cuffs? My skin is sensitive and chaffed at the moment.”

“Wait,” The officer said, skin pale. “You’re Dae…aren’t you?”

“Guilty as charged.” Jongdae chuckled. “Heh, pretty ironic at the moment.”

The officer released Jongdae from the handcuffs without another word. He rolled his shoulders and stretched his wrists. “Thanks, bud. Sorry, don’t wanna stay for the life story, but I gotta go.”

Jongdae bid a cheery goodbye to the horrorstricken officer and went about his way into the night.

 

 

*

 

Kris rifled through his papers, closing his eyes.

It was quiet in the Research lab for once. He was grateful for the peace. It gave him time to think, and to strategize.

Kris thought about how he could escape the Research Lab. He had been here long enough, hadn’t he? Kris would even dare to say, too long. Kris had even begun to copy Suho’s fashion style, wearing his lab coat faithfully, disregarding his hair, and wearing his glasses. Heck, he had even memorized the taste of a glazed donut. Kris wanted out, before it was too late.

How was it that he could convince, or more like blackmail, his father into letting him go back to Shanghai?

Kris reminisced the memories of his city. He missed the bright lights and the swarms of people. He missed his friends, whom he played basketball with on the street courts in the evenings. Kris missed the swarms of girls that would come flocking to his door in an eager chance to be with him. Lord, Kris even missed the polluted air! But most of all, Kris missed-

Pop!

Kris’s eye twitched and slammed down the stack of papers against the table.

“Peckles!”

The pure feathered chicken sat on top of an egg in the middle of the lab, pecking absentmindedly.

Kris nearly tore his hair out, lifting his large rimmed glasses higher up his nose. “Suho, I swear to God! Peckles laid another egg!”

So Kris had gotten Suho the stupid chicken. He had bought the chicken off the side of the road in a shady, rusty pickup truck and had immediately taken it home. Suho was deliriously happy, and had greeted the chicken with open arms. Kris even went as far as to build a chicken coop for the stupid animal. Kris thought this would solve all of his problems, but he was horribly mistaken. This chicken just brought a new world of problems.

First of all, the chicken was uncontrollable. All it did was lay eggs, everywhere and anywhere.

Second of all, Suho-

Suho beamed, swooping the chicken into his arms. “Oh my goodness, she did! Peckles, my beautiful baby! Good job! Momma is going to eat your egg for breakfast tomorrow! Yes she is!” Suho cooed, poking the chicken with his finger.

Kris face palmed. The chicken had Suho wrapped around its tiny taloned finger.

“Suho don’t encourage it!”

“Why not?” Suho asked, hugging the chicken closer to his chest. “Peckles is doing an excellent job!” Peckles just clucked, swiveling his head around.

“An excellent job at what Suho? Laying eggs in my shoes and being a distraction?!”

“Hey,” Suho narrowed his eyes. “Shouldn’t you be grateful for a distraction from your work here in the Research Lab? Don’t you dislike the work? Isn’t Peckles a good distraction?”

Kris grunted in defeat and turned around in defeat. Suho had gotten him there.

Suddenly, the chicken flew out of Suho’s arms. “P-Peckles!” Suho screamed. “Wait!”

Peckles flew onto a stack of papers. “Peckles get back here!” Suho ordered. Peckles only vaguely stared at him, and clucked, setting flight again, scattering the papers.

“Stupid Peckles!” Kris cursed, running after the chicken. The chicken ran through the Research Lab, clucking viciously. “Peckles! Come back!” Suho screeched, chasing the chicken with arms open wide. “Come back and let me love you!”

Peckles only ran faster.

“Don’t run away from my affection!”

By the time they managed to enclose Peckles in its cage, the Research Lab was a wreck. Papers scattered the entire floor, tables were overturned, one of the hanging light fixtures had fallen and hit Kris on the head, and eggs were laid and its remnants stained the floor after being stepped on. In one corner of the room there was even a scorch mark.

Kris and Suho were messes themselves. One of Suho’s glasses legs was broken, one of Kris’s lab coat sleeves was ripped, and he had a big bruise on his head.

They both collapsed on the floor in a heap, breathing rapidly.

“Suho, I’m going to kill you after we clean this up.” Kris muttered.

“In a short and efficient way, please.” Suho said.

“Whatever.” Kris whispered.

Suh leaned into Kris, wrapping Kris’s arm around him.

“What are you doing, dork?” Kris asked, though not attempting to move his arm.

“Just go with it. I’ve read that feeling love and affection after a traumatic experience is recommended.”

Kris rolled his eyes, drifting off into sleep. “Okay then.”

They lay there until the next morning, tangled in a sweaty heap of papers, lab coats, and horn-rimmed glasses.

 

*

 

Xiumin sat acros from Luhan, his eyes dutifully trained on him. He closed his eyes and bit his lip, the feeling of nervousness pooling within his stomach.

“Just do it, Xiu.” XIumin thought. “There’s no harm in asking. You want  this, don’t you?”

Xiumin nodded to himself, then took a deep breath, mustering the courage to speak.

"Hey...I've been meaning to ask you...When do they let you off work?"

"Hm?" Luhan's head perked up. "My shift ends at 6 today. Why?"

"Do you want to meet somewhere? Other than here? Maybe go catch a movie?" Xiumin, asked swirling his cup of coffee, unable to meet Luhan in his eyes.

Xiumin heard giggling. "W-What?"

Luhan covered his mouth with his curled fingers, his eyes crinkling in laughter. "You're very cute." He replied.

Xiumin blushed. "Hey, that's not the answer to my question!"

Luhan placed his hands on the table. "Okay, let's do it. I'll meet you at the park across from here once I get out. There’s a big tree in the center. Meet me under it. Let's take our friendship somewhere else other than here."

Xiumin nodded. "Yeah, I'm tired of seeing you face around here."

"Hey, what are you saying? I work here! I could say the same about you. You practically live here."

Xiumin stood up, taking one last sip. "Don't lie, you know I'm a blessing to have around." Xiumin cupped his face and winked.

Luhan threw his towel at Xiumin. "Get out."

"Okay I'll see you at 6!" Xiumin waved goodbye, blowing a kiss as he trodded for the door.

Luhan sat with his arms crossed against his chest, face set in a stone full expression. He couldn't help but crack when Xiumin tripped over the curb and knocked over an elderly woman's groceries. As Xiumin bent down to pick up the cans rolling down the pavement, he met Luhan's eyes as he laughed at him.

"Loser," Luhan muttered under his breath, unable to conceal his happiness.

Odd how the weirdest people could make him feel this way...

 

*

 

At 6 o'clock Xiumin stood beside the biggest tree in the park, a thick willow tree with thick curtain of leaves that hung low to the ground.

He leaned against the trunk and tapped his foot against the ground nervously.

Xiumin checked his watch, his hair in the appearance in the reflection of his phone, then repeated the process.

"I'm sorry!"

Luhan appeared, heavily panting, leaning over with his hands on his knees. "I had a frightful customer. She claimed she was lactose intolerant but ordered a drink with milk in it."

"It's fine. I just got here." Xiumin shrugged coolly. "So you want to walk around?"

Luhan nodded and together they found the gravel park path and slowly walked down it, admiring the scenery.

 

It was a wonderful day outside. The sun was setting, the temperature was cool, and there was a gentle breeze.

They passed by a flock of birds, where an older woman sat with a bag of bird seed. She scattered the feed and the birds flew and pecked at the ground.

"Wow. Look!" Luhan tugged on Xiumin's sleeve. "That's so cool."

Luhan approached the woman. "May I have some?" Luhan bowed his head, and the woman smiled, handing him the bag.

Luhan, grinning filled his hand with seed and the birds flew at him. "Woah!" Luhan laughed, throwing the seeds on the ground and the birds redirected their flight to the ground.

Xiumin watched, his eyes sparkling. He couldn't deny this feeling within his chest, watching Luhan feed the bids and his happy face. He was so innocent and pure...

Luhan turned to him, smiling. "Here, Minseok! They want you to feed them."

"Do they now?" Xiumin raised his eyebrow, eying the birds surrounded him.

Hesitantly, Xiumin took the feed from Luhan, brushing his fingers against Luhan's palm, sending tingles up his spine. Roughly, Xiumin threw he feed against the ground.

"No, Minseok! You have to be gentle!" Luhan walked over to Xiumin and took his hand in his. Xiumin's face grew hot. "Look I'll show you."

Slowly, he raised Xiumin's hand and with simple swift motion, tenderly scattered the feed on the ground below.

"See? It's easy isn't it? You don't need to put too much effort into it." Luhan let Xiumin's hand go. "Try it."

Xiumin, mustering all of his effort into being gentle, let the feed fall through his fingers.

"There, that's more like it!" Luhan beamed at Xiumin, and he looked away, unable to keep the eye contact.

"Why is he so irresistible..." Xiumin thought.

After a few more minutes of feeding birds, Luhan dragged Xiumin into more observing and walking around the park.

They watched the wildlife, hanging around the shore of the lake in the center of the park and chatting with the geese that hung around there.

Xiumin attempted to chase a goose and catch one for Luhan, but he ended up screaming and running from it, who squeaked at him irritably.

The sun on the horizon now and the toe of them sweaty and tired, Xiumin took Luhan to a nearby ice cream stand.

 

"What flavor do you want?" Xiumin asked Luhan, searching through his wallet.

"Ah, I'll pay for mine." Luhan said, searching through his pockets for his wallet.

"There's no need. I'll pay for you." Xiumin said, taking out a few bills.

"No, don-"

"Too late." Xiumin smirked, handing the bills to the man working the cart.

Luhan huffed, crossing his arms. "You're really controlling, you know that right?"

Xiumin nodded. "My best feature. What flavor?"

"Pistachio."

The man scooped their cones and Xiumin handed Luhan his cone while he his own cone.

Xiumin motioned Luhan to a nearby bench. "Let's watch the sunset."Luhan followed him eagerly and they sat down, their legs touching.

They sat in silence, the sky changing color among the trees into an orange and pink.

“Hey, Minseok.” Luhan spoke, his ice cream cone. “Have you ever wished for something you knew you couldn’t have, no matter how much you wanted it?”

Xiumin stared into the sky wistfully, and nodded, his thoughts clouding. “Yes.” He whispered.

Luhan sighed. “Then you understand me then. How do you cope with it?”

Luhan shook his head softly. “It’s hard containing all of these feelings. I just, I don’t know…I want to scream into a hole in the ground or something, but I know that won’t make me feel better. How do you do it?”

Xiumin laughed softly beneath his breath and stared into his ice cream cone. “I don’t. I think about it every day. It haunts me really.”

Luhan turned to face Xiumin this time, his ice cream cone tight in his hand, his face determined. “If it bothers you so much, why don’t you want to talk about it with me? People tell me I’m a good listener. I want to help you. I hate seeing you this tormented.”

Xiumin’s face blushed sincerely in the approaching dusk. Seeing Luhan so concerned about him…

He hung his head.

It really hurt.

Luhan’s face stood out really pale in the approaching dark, as if he were a ghost. His lips curled up impatiently, his eyes glowing; he really was so pretty that it was unfair. ”What is it you really want, Minseok?”

You.

Xiumin could feel his rough edges smoothen, his face fell from the tough façade into something soft. His lips fell open, and he could feel himself at the mercy of Luhan.

“Maybe I can be of some help.” Luhan bit hi lip in thought.  “Haven’t you tried do ing anything about your wish? If not, then why don’t you try doing something about it?”

“Maybe I will.”

Xiumin crept forward, disregarding his ice cream cone on the bench behind him. The cone rolled, dripping ice cream onto the ground below.

Luhan’s eyes opened in surprise, his pink, soft lips parting. Xiumin’s fingers traced Luhan’s jawline and he pressed his lips against Luhan’s softly, closing his eyes.

Luhan made a noise of surprise in the back of his throat, and his ice cream cone fell from his hand onto the grass.

Xiumin’s hand came to rest under Luhan’s ear, his kiss tender and sweet. Xiumin was losing control…

But he didn’t mind at all.

Hesitantly, Luhan kissed Xiumin back, his eyes fluttering shut. More confidently now, Luhan rested his forearms on Xiumin’s shoulder, tilting his head and leaning closer.

Luhan smiled against Xiumin’s lip . They broke their kiss, and Luhan giggled, covering his mouth shyly with his hand.

“What is it?” Xiumin asked, bewildered.

“It’s nothing.” Luhan laughed. “It’s just…I’m so happy.”

“Are you psychic, Minseok?” Luhan asked. “Really…How did you know that what I really wished for…was you wanting to want me?”

“Really?” Xiumin said. “I honestly never thought you would be thinking the same thing.”

“You lack confidence in yourself,” Luhan said. “Why wouldn’t I feel the same? Seeing your face makes my day.”

“Really? You flatter me.”

“It’s the truth.” Luhan concluded.

Luhan’s eyes diverted to his ice cream cone on the ground unconsciously. “Ah, I’ll get you another one.” Xiumin said.

“No, that isn’t important.” Luhan wrapped his arms around Xiumin’s neck. “The only thing I care about right now is you.”

“Well if you put it that way…” Xiumin leaned in again, holding Luhan close to him and smirking.

They smiled against each other’s lips, having to break each kiss because of their outburst of giggles.

The ice cream melted on the ground into a green puddle, soaking into the ground.

They kissed in laughter in the starlight, deliriously in love.