Cure

One Thread

 

 

 

I'm only a fool for you,

And maybe you're too good for me,

I'm only a fool for you,

But I don't ing care, at all

Idfc- Blackbear

chapter playlist

 

 

 

 

Kai held himself back that weekend, and when Baekhyun didn’t show, he hopped into a car and ordered the driver to take him to Seoul High School.

He heard a vibration from his phone, but he decided to check it later. Right now, he was trying to find Baekhyun, and that needed his full attention.

Kai asked the driver to stay parked at the curb and stepped out, resting his back against the car. A bell rang in the high school, causing him to jump. He settled his heartbeat, embarrassed at the action.

Kids began to pour out of the school, and Kai quickly flipped through his information, looking for a tall boy with large ears in the crowd.

Unsuccessful, Kai took his chances and grabbed the closest kid to him, a relatively small boy with large eyes and full lips. “Excuse me, do you know a boy named Park Chanyeol? Wait, no, better yet, do you know a boy named Byun Baekhyun?”

The boy’s eyes widened in shock at Kai’s hand wrapped around his arm, a flicker of recognition came over his eyes at the sound of the two names.

“I know both,” He replied, confused. “They’re both my friends,“ He pursed his lips. “No, never mind. Chanyeol is my friend. Baekhyun is an . They weren’t at school today.”

Kai shrugged. Sounds accurate.

The boy turned to leave, but Kai couldn’t let him get away. He tightened his grip on his arm.

“You’re coming with me," Kai said, throwing the boy in the backseat of the car.

“Hey!” The boy protested. “Wait! You can’t just take me like this.”

“Of course I can.” Kai smacked his lips. “I’m doing it right now.” He hopped in after the boy and closed the door, telling the driver to take them to the coffee shop Xiumin always recommended him.

 

 

*

 

 

Kyungsoo sat across from the mysterious man, arms crossed and eyebrows furrowed.

He knew when he had first seen the man lingering in the parking lot that he was suspicious. No one can make black look that good.

Kyungsoo took a better, up-close look. The man before him had perfect, tanned skin, with pouty lips and a sharp jawline. He was tall, and his muscles seemed to be perfectly sculpted under his leather jacket and black jeans. This guy was handsome beyond belief, and that made Kyungsoo very frustrated.

Kyungsoo took out his phone and checked his Tumblr messages. He had texted Jongin right before the bell had rung, but he still hadn’t gotten a response. Kyungsoo was a bit bummed because Jongin usually always texted back fairly quick, but he put his phone away, thinking Jongin was probably busy.

He continued glaring at the guy across from him. Kyungsoo had literally just been kidnapped…!

“Where are you taking me?” He demanded.

“A place we can talk," The man replied vaguely.

Kyungsoo huffed and stared out the window. This was just what he needed right now. He didn’t want to be questioned about Baekhyun or Chanyeol. He didn’t want to think about them right now.

Kyungsoo rubbed at his chest. The wound was still raw. He had hurt Chanyeol because of his drunken stupidity. Chanyeol was lying in that hospital bed because of Kyungsoo, and he couldn never get over that. The guilt was eating away at him from the inside out. Before Friday night, Kyungsoo could have blamed Chanyeol’s misery on anybody else, but now Kyungsoo couldn’t blame Chanyeol’s pain on anybody other than himself.

The scenery flashed by, and Kyungsoo sighed. He had been depressed ever since that Friday night. He was planning to go visit Chanyeol after he had been let out from school, but it didn’t seem like that was happening.

The car stopped by the curb of a fairly popular café downtown. The man opened the car door, leaving it open for Kyungsoo. He entered the shop and sat at a table by the window, inviting Kyungsoo to follow him.

Kyungsoo debated whether to run for it, but the stern look in the man’s eyes threw any thoughts of escaping out the window. And perhaps the guy’s handsome looks compelled Kyungsoo to stay, too, though he would never admit it.

He sat across from the man. They both stared at each other, neither saying a word. A sad-looking waiter came to take their order then left, but those were the only words they spoke.

“What do you know about Baekhyun?” The boy asked, stirring his coffee.

Kyungsoo nursed his cup. “Dunno. Why do you care so much?” He easily became defensive.

“I know him," The boy said bluntly. “Do you know where he is?”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. Of course the hot guy knows Baekhyun. Do all good looking guys know each other? “He disappears from school fairly often. I don’t know anything about his life outside of school.”

Kai nodded. “What about Chanyeol?”

Kyungsoo frowned. “Probably moping around at home. That’s all he does nowadays.”

The man set down his cup of coffee. “You’re no help, you know that?”

“Yup.”

The man rolled his eyes. Suddenly, he nearly jumped a mile from his seat. “Sorry to interrupt this pleasant conversation, but I forgot I have someone important to text. Wait a moment.” He fished in his pocket for his phone, typed a couple of words, then put his phone away.

Kyungsoo found his behavior suspicious. Who was so important to him that he had to reply to them straight away? He sipped his coffee, narrowing his eyes and staring out the window until he felt a vibration in his pocket.

Kyungsoo set down his cup of coffee and reached for his phone to find that Jongin had texted him. Gladly he opened it and sent a response, his mood cheering instantly.

 

From: jupiterjin

Heyy, sorry I got caught up with something lol. how are yoooouuu

 

From: saturnsuga

It’s okay lol. I just got out of school. weird things are going on but im drinking coffee at a nice café~ all’s good

 

 

Kyungsoo set his phone down and the man’s phone sounded again, but he ignored it and drank his coffee instead.

“Who are you?” Kyungsoo asked.

The man stared at him coldly. “You don’t need to know that.”

Kyungsoo made a face and went back to staring outside.

Suddenly the man jumped up from the table, his face lighting up. “Oh my god it’s a puppy!”

Kyungsoo fumbled with his cup of coffee in surprise. “W-What-“

The man stared out the window at a cute brown poodle being pulled on a leash outside the café, his face breaking out into a smile. “Aww, it’s so cute! Wait here, I’ll be back!”

Kyungsoo watched bewilderedly as the man left the café and approached the puppy, petting it and scooping it into his arms. Kyungsoo’s stomach did a funny floppy flip as the man laughed while the puppy his face in affection, a wonderful sound.

What a weird guy,” Kyungsoo thought, wrapping his hands around the cup uncomfortably as his cheeks warmed.

After the puppy had left, the man came back inside and sat back down.

He smiled to himself as he sent a text with his phone again.

Kyungsoo got another text from Jongin. He read it quickly, and the weird knot in his stomach tightened as his fingers typed back rapidly.

 

From: jupiterjin

Really, so am i! what a coincidence. I saw a super cute puppers omggg

 

From: saturnsuga

Lol that IS a coincidence

 

Kyungsoo stared at the man as he typed away on his phone, and his phone vibrated again.

“Wow, this is really weird,” He said.

The man gave him a blank stare. “What?”

Kyungsoo shook the thought from his head. “No, never mind. It’s nothing.”

What he was thinking couldn’t be possible.

He raised his eyes at the guy in front of him again.

The handsome guy raised his eyebrow as he drank from his coffee and stared outside.

This guy couldn’t possibly be Jongin.

Jongin lived in Australia and Kyungsoo lived in South Korea. There was no way this was Jongin.

Kyungsoo took his phone out again and read the message he had received.

 

From: jupiterjin

What’s up??

 

Kyungsoo wanted to test something. He tipped his head. There wasn’t any harm in trying, right? Besides, he probably wouldn’t be right anyway. Kyungsoo made a plan. If this worked, the guy who had kidnapped him had to be Jongin.

 

From: saturnsuga

Hey, do me a favor. This sounds really weird, but can you sip your coffee?

 

Kyungsoo watched as the guy’s face in front of him looked confused, and his heart sped rapidly.

“What’s wrong?” Kyungsoo asked.

The guy shook his head. “It’s nothing. “

Kyungsoo’s heart jumped when the man sipped his coffee suspiciously. Kyungsoo checked his phone to get another message.

Kyungsoo shook his head. No, this wouldn’t work, that doesn’t prove anything.

 

He checked his phone again.

 

From: jupiterijn

Okay, that was really weird to ask.

 

Kyungsoo typed back quickly.

 

From: saturnsuga

Ask me to do something.

 

Jongin replied.

 

From: jupiterjin

Umm okay?? Are you trying to do some weird telepathy thing or smthg lmao??? Tap your foot ig.

 

The guy in front of Kyungsoo didn’t even blink when Kyungsoo began tapping his foot insistently.

 

In a feeble effort, Kyungsoo typed back.

 

From: saturnsuga

Okay, on the count of 3, let’s both stand up slowly at the same time.

 

Kyungsoo took a deep breath.

 

From: saturnsuga

1

 

From: saturnsuga

2

 

From: saturnsuga

3

 

Kyungsoo stood up slowly, and his jaw dropped when the guy in front of him stood up also.

Perplexed at Kyungsoo’s reaction, the man’s eyes widened.

Kyungsoo screamed and jumped, throwing his arms in the air. He knocked the chair behind him over, and laughed, his eyes nearly breaking into tears. “Jongin, is that you?”

The guy in front of him laughed, his eyes crinkling. “Kyungsoo…?” He set his phone down. “No way!”

Kyungsoo showed him their chat on his phone. “Yes! Yes, oh my goodness, I can’t believe it!”

Jongin stared at him, mouth open. “Kyungsoo, wow…”

Simultaneously they both threw themselves onto each other in joy. They hugged each other tightly, clinging to each other for dear life.

Kyungsoo smiled, his tears staining Jongin’s shirt. Jongin smelled pleasant, just like Kyungsoo imagined he would. Like something sweet, but natural at the same time… His body was warm and his chest was incredibly firm.

“What are you doing here?” Kyungsoo asked, his voice muffled with his face in Jongin’s shirt. “Is this really what you meant when you were coming back?”

“Yeah, I was going to tell you.” Jongin said. “That was what I was meaning to do today during our conversation, but it seems we’ve met already!” He laughed. “This was a really weird coincidence, I still can’t get over it.”

They finally let go, and when their eyes met, they blushed. Jongin looked away sheepishly, and Kyungsoo giggled.

“What’s this thing with you kidnapping me and asking about Baekhyun?” Kyungsoo asked. “And how do you know him? And how do you know Chanyeol?” Kyungsoo was suspicious now. “Did you know this was the Chanyeol I like? I am very confused.”

Jongin laughed and tossed his hair back carefreely. Now Kyungsoo could admire the muscles of his biceps as he reached back and the way his hair perfectly as his fingers ran through it…

Gosh, who knew Jongin would end up being so hot?

“Baekhyun is my cousin.” Jongin smiled. “We both left to study abroad. He went to America, I went Down Under. When I came back, I wanted to contact him.” Jongin rolled his eyes. “But the doesn’t carry around a phone and I have no idea where he is.”

He shrugged. “I remembered a vague letter he sent talking about a guy named Chanyeol too so I was just doing whatever I could to find him.”

Kyungsoo nodded. “Ah, so you’re related to Baekhyun. Uh, forget about what I said about him being an .”

Jongin laughed and Kyungsoo followed along halfheartedly. Something in him made him stop him from explaining the Baekhyun-Chanyeol situation. He wasn’t sure why, but suddenly he didn’t really want to talk about Chanyeol anymore.

When his eyes met Jongin’s, it seemed he couldn’t even think about Chanyeol anymore.

With Jongin standing in front of him, flashing a brilliant white smile, Kyungsoo wasn’t even sure he felt the same about Chanyeol.

Kyungsoo smiled back, all of the negative energy inside of him gone. All of his feelings for Chanyeol flew out the window, and Kyungsoo left himself at the mercy of Jongin.

A new change is always the best way to cure a heartbreak, right?

 

 

*

 

 

It was late. It had started to snow, and Xiumin walked down the empty sidewalk, shivering under his scarf and coat.

He stopped in front of the café, hands in his pocket.

The sign on the door read "Closed", but he could see the outline of Luhan through the window and recognize it instantly. Xiumin had memorized every single thing about Luhan, including the planes of his features - from the beauty mark on his ear to the curves of his eyelids.

Xiumin watched Luhan work at the counter, a pencil tucked behind his ear and a towel on his shoulder. He fixed up the cash register and cleaned the counters. Xiumin loved watching him work. The concentrated look on his face made him pleased, and he enjoyed the effort he put into everything he did.

Xiumin’s heart tugged, and he continued to watch him work. He missed Luhan so much, but he didn’t know what to do. What was he even doing, standing here and watching him like a creep?

Xiumin’s heart lept when Luhan turned and began to walk around the café. Xiumin turned his back and jumped when he heard the door to the café open. He turned his head, and when he realized it was Luhan, he squeezed his eyes shurt and tried to hide behind his scarf, hoping to blend into the wall.

“Minseok?”

Xiumin cursed under his breath and opened his eyes to look at Luhan.

“I’m sorry,” Xiumin said, sighing, his eyes dropping to the cement. He couldn’t meet Luhan’s eyes, and his cheeks tingled with shame. “I-I don’t know why I’m here. I just came…because I really needed to see you.”

He turned, his shoulders slumped. “I’m sorry. I’ll be going now. Take care.”

Xiumin began to walk, but paused when he felt Luhan’s hand on his shoulder.

“Wait, Minseok.” His voice rang out. Xiumin could tell he was trembling.

“Come inside. I was just about to close up, but I’ll make you a cup of coffee. It’s really cold out, and I can’t let you leave without something warm to drink.”

Xiumin gulped and turned back around, meeting Luhan’s eyes for the first time. He didn’t know what to say, but followed Luhan into the café anyway.

He sat at the bar as Luhan made him a cup of coffee. He watched the boy's back muscles flex through his white collared shirt and stared at the paintings on the wall as he tried to distract himself.

“Here, Minseok. Drink.”

Luhan handed him the cup and Xiumin took it, offering a thanks with a nod. He drank from it, letting the sweet liquid brush past his lips. Luhan watched him with his elbow on the table, chin resting in his hand. His face was expressionless.

Xiumin smacked his lips together. “It tastes delicious. Just how I like it. You remembered.” He scoffed and dropped his gaze.

“I guess.” Luhan said. The tone of his voice remained even.

Xiumin could feel an emotion he couldn’t explain rise within him, but he suppressed it. Luhan was so impassive that it angered him. God, Xiumin couldn’t help but feel hopeless and had no trouble showing it, but Luhan was…feeling nothing.

Did their relationship mean nothing to him? Did he move on quickly? Was there someone else in his life? Was it the cheeky waitress with the short skirt that had the 2PM-4PM shift that always flirted with him?

Did Luhan still love him?

All of these questions floated though Xiumin’s head, and the air around him was tense and quiet.

Xiumin couldn’t stand it anymore; he stood up abruptly. “I’m sorry, I’ll be going now.” He grabbed his coat off the table, his cup tipping over and spilling all over the counter, words rushing out of his mouth faster than his mind could process it. “Thanks for the coffee. I hope you’re happy. I won’t come back, and I lied. This isn’t the best place to get coffee in Seoul. I only ever came because of you. The Starbucks across the street is better. Goodbye, Luhan, and please take care of yourself. Don’t study too much or work too hard. Go hang out with your friends, but don’t drink too much because hangovers are a .” Xiumin turned around, closing his eyes as he walked toward the door. “And chemistry doesn’t even matter, s-so really, just don’t even try anymo-“

Before Xiumin could finish what he was saying, Luhan’s body was in front of him. Xiumin bumped into him, and their eyes locked. The next thing he knew, his lips were on Luhan's, and his arms were wrapped around him.

A spark ignited in Xiumin, and he kissed Luhan back. He had missed the taste of him so much that he just couldn’t control himself. He remembered the shape of Luhan’s pretty, pink lips and his pale, clear skin-

Suddenly, Xiumin realized what he was doing. He pulled away and sighed. He covered his face with hands and laughed weakly. “God, I’m sorry. I couldn’t stop myself. “

He shook his head and lowered his eyes as he moved past Luhan toward the door once more, but before he could comprehend what was happening, Luhan had pulled on his vest and had wrapped his arms around him, pushing their faces together.

Xiumin’s eyes widened as Luhan shoved him behind the counter and trailed his hands down Xiumin’s body.

They broke apart, panting. Xiumin stared at Luhan for an explanation and he stared back, cheeks pink and flustered.

“Minseok,” Luhan said. “I’m sorry. I-I can’t get over you. I was wrong. I’m still in love with you, and I won’t ever stop loving you.”

“Sure, you were my chemistry professor, but I see you as someone so much more.” He went quiet. “You’re my best friend…my boyfriend - still are, hopefully.”

“Will you take me back? I don’t deserve you at all.” Luhan said. “But if you still love me, then…”

Xiumin shut him up by pecking him on the lips. “You’re stupid, but of course.”

Luhan scoffed. “I’m having second thoughts now.”

Xiumin wrapped his arms around Luhan. “Whatever, you know you love me.” He sniffed Luhan’s neck. “You smell good. What is it, raspberry?”

Luhan laughed. “You’re the weirdest teacher I’ve ever dated.”

“Oh so you’ve dated other teachers?” Xiumin asked mockingly. Luhan burst out in laughter.

“Do you have a teacher x student or something? Is this  to you?”

Luhan couldn’t stop laughing. “That isn’t what I meant!”

“Sure!” Xiumin laughed. “Did your calculus teacher taste as nice as me?”

“Shut up!” Luhan hit Xiumin’s chest and pulled him under the counter. “I hope not. She was my grandma.”

“Oh my god. Why don’t you ask your grandpa?”

“I hate you. Let’s break up again.”

They laughed, kissed, and cuddled underneath the counter - and they couldn’t have been happier.