Nothing In Between

Love Star (Broken Wings)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                     A month has passed since that day where a lot of things happened for SinB.

 

                     Dahyun and her decided to patch up their friendship, but that will have a long way to go, and in that same day, she have known something that she thinks it would be best if she hadn’t. She doesn’t even know what’s got into her but she’s been avoiding them this whole month.

 

                     It was actually kind of easy to hide from Dahyun since all she has to do is to come to school earlier than the other girl would, so she wouldn’t see her. That is sort of a pain in the since she has to wake up early, and oh, just like her mother, we know how she loves sleeping. Also, news came for her that Dahyun is kinda busy with her school activities, since she’s planning to perform for the school’s annual event where only the ‘top’ students could perform to showcase their talents, in a big stage, in front of a sea of people. SinB thought that the girl would be focused on that since she’s expecting that Dahyun will take that opportunity to become viral and perhaps get the eyes of some idol company’s recruiter.

 

                     If hiding from Dahyun was easy, that of Yerin is a complete 360 degree turn from that. It’s a nightmare. First, Yerin was her seatmate. And, aside from that fact, people would always talk about her, find ways to mention her and even her group of friends are crazy about the celebrity. She could even see her on their cafeteria’s canteen when her CF on the ramyun noodles was shown. The ‘Star’ is like everywhere, which sometimes makes her wonder if she’s really taking rest from the spotlight.

 

                     She couldn’t also ignore her presence especially when the celebrity’s seat would always be next to hers and on that note, she could really smell her perfume all day long. To describe it, for SinB she smells fresh, something sweet and pleasant. Her scent reminds her of a sweet candy or perhaps a delicious food. She had this soft and creamy aroma that makes her want to eat or makes her feel hungry, something like that.

 

                     In this one month of hiding, of ignoring, or perhaps just trying to act like she’s ignoring her, and of a month of being seatmates, SinB has noticed a lot of things about her. She noticed this certain kind of spark in Yerin’s eyes when Yerin would catch her staring looking at her. The idol would also hum a tune when she finds it boring, especially when there’s no professor around. Sometimes, she would sing to herself, in a low voice, as if trying not to let someone hear it. She would also be too organized about her things, her skirt, her earphones, her school things on the table and even her bag is organized too, just the complete opposite of SinB’s which look likes she just doesn’t care if her bag is a mess, well it’s not that of a mess anyway, since she only brought few things with her.

               

                     Another thing she finds cute was the small dark dot near her eye and one in her cheek. It is just a small mole but that perfectly accentuate her brown orbs that will be partially hidden when the girl smiled with her eyes. She had also found the full bangs of the idol to be cute. It makes her want to touch it or sometimes, wonder if she can fix it.

 

                    Though, as fascinated as she is by those full bangs of her, she also wonders if how the other girl would look like if the girl would show her forehead, even just some of it.

 

 

Perhaps, a one-sided bangs would also suit her. She thought.

 

 

                      Sometimes, she thought that Yerin knew she was looking at her. There were times when SinB would be staring for too long, making her obvious enough and she would saw Yerin would have this small smile on her face, where the edge of her lips would pull up slightly in amusement. And after some time, she would turn her head to finally meet SinB’s eyes and give her a bright smile. Like, she was sending her ‘I know that you’ve been looking’ message secretly. SinB would then avert her eyes away immediately and pretend that nothing happened.

 

                     But, sadly, the butterflies and her heart beating were still there. No matter how hard she tries to ignore the idol’s existence, her heart wouldn’t stop on bothering her. It would still beat fast whenever she would hear her voice or even when she would just saw her came to class and even when Yerin would just be sitting in the corner. What is worse is that her stomach would do some little somersaults  when Yerin would come closer to her or talk to one of her classmates near her.

 

 

                     SinB found herself to be growing fond of the other girl and amused by the way she interact with other people and actually, just how she acts. She expected that the girl would be the type of a behaved person, since she’s an idol. But, it turned out that the girl is just like how her friends describe her, it is like how she acts on variety shows – a total beagle. She would often found the girl fooling around, goofing here and there and doing crazy things as if she doesn’t care about her image at all.

 

 

                     To be honest, SinB finds that lovely and it makes her more interested at her and happy too. She has the same vision until now for her future. She wants to be like that too once she’s an idol already. She wanted to be loved and known by whomever and whatever she is – being free to do whatever she wants without having to worry about her image. For SinB, it is better for people to love you for who you are. Well, aren’t we all are too?

 

 

                     SinB had also known a lot about her. She had searched her on the internet and secretly watches some of her videos uploaded on Youtube. She never thought that her voice would be so nice to hear, it’s just like it is coming from an angel. Also, news about her would be easy to come to her, since her friends are basically fans of the so called idol - ‘Star’. Based from the stories she heard, the girl has also tried doing acting recently and she was a good one. She’s so good that she even got nominated for the annual awards done before the end of the year. And, the girl would have another CF which will be filmed just tomorrow.

 

 

                     SinB found herself frowning, even though she’s trying to avoid her, she can’t deny the fact that she would miss the idol’s presence, especially if the seat behind her would be empty for a whole day.

 

 

                     Also, one time, she found the girl dancing on the rooftop and she was surprised that the girl has really the talent to do that. No wonder she’s on a top level now, on par with her favorite groups and soloist. It has then become her habit to always check the rooftop if she’s searching for the idol aside from going to the dance studio room to dance herself.

 

 

 

                     She chuckled, remembering how she finds her dance captivating, especially when the girl’s hair would move with her steps.

 

 

                     SinB doesn’t want to admit it and she knew she was being pathetic but maybe her hormones or her age is affecting her mind and body, making her so happy and her brain filled with thoughts of her. She thought, maybe, deep inside, she’s being a fan of hers too and just couldn’t admit it. Well, what’s wrong with stanning talent? She asked herself.

 

 

                     To be honest, she desperately wanted to be friends with her or even talk to her for a while, yet her brain would suddenly cram when she’s about to say something and so she decided not to speak. Sometimes, she would have this big confidence she knows she have and is just hiding somewhere but when she was about to talk, the weird encounter inside Yerin’s house would creep into her mind and her brain would reject the prospect of talking to the idol.

 

 

                     “Okay class. Listen up!” A voice sprung in the air, completely taking over the noise from the loud chitchats from the students. “I know that there are only few months left until vacation and there’s nothing more you’d love to do than relax and pass the subject easily, but things don’t always go that way.” He said, ending his sentence with a wink.

 

 

                     The whole class stared at Mr. Jinyoung. “So, to make things a bit more interesting this year, we had made a change in the school’s annual event. This year, the school would be set to have each section or perhaps representatives of the classes to participate and perform. This is not just a performance since this would be counted as competition. The prize is still in talks but, you all know already that this would push through and would happen.” He continued.

 

 

                     “Also, no one would be exempted from this activity. Make sure everyone would have a contribution on this.” He said. “Now, I’ll leave the room so you all can talk about it.” He finished and get out of the room, making the class start talking loudly again, but fortunately because of what Mr. Jinyoung has said. They seem to be excited about it. Well, of course, it’s a school of performance anyway. It is a school of people aspiring to be in the spotlight or perhaps people who love to perform.

 

                     Meanwhile, there’s Somi moving her colored hair away from her face as she stands up slowly. Claps were heard, getting all the attention. Somi clapped.

 

                     “Attention guys! Don’t panic. Remember, we have Star by our side.” She said, looking at Star beside SinB then winked at her.

 

 

                     All eyes turned to her direction collectively, including SinB. Everyone was quiet, perhaps, waiting for the idol’s reaction.

 

                     A lot of reaction erupted all over the room.

 

                     “That’s right!”

 

                     “Oh cool! Then we really shouldn’t worry.”

 

                     “Yeah, we got the idol. We’re now sure that we get an award at least.”

 

 

                     Sure, dump all the acting responsibilities on her. Do include singing and dancing too. SinB thought sarcastically.

 

                     But, Yerin didn’t reply and she seemed to be conflicted. That makes the class again quiet and some became embarrassed with what they said, perhaps, thinking that they are just pushing the idol. SinB felt sorry for her. Everyone knew she was trying to have a normal college student life. She even rest for a while and step out from the spotlight. Well, partially, since she still have commercials and photoshoots going on. SinB sighed. If the media founds out about this, they’d probably flock around her again, and even make a full coverage for it. She thought, still feeling sorry.

 

                     A classmate of them spoke up, “Since, all of us here wanted to perform and showcase their talents. How about we make an audition first for who’s gonna be the main performers? It would be too crowded there if we all went up the stage.”

 

                     “Or we can divide the performances into parts.” Zhieqiong suggested. “I mean, we can all perform by doing that. How about a musical play? We can sing and dance and switch the other characters.” She continued.

 

                     Almost all of the class are agreeing with her and getting all excited.

 

                     “Oh! Let’s put a twist!” Someone raised her hand, telling the class her idea excitedly. “How about we do Romeo and Juliet? I know it’s old but making a twist on that would have more impact.” She said.

 

                     Her question was met, once again, with silence. No one had an idea on how to bring a different life on such a famous play, and a classical one. There were some who sighed, giving up on thinking about it. And, some stay quiet for a whole several minutes waiting for somebody to speak out. After several minutes of silence, Umji speaks out.

 

                     “Let’s make Romeo a girl. It is like a forbidden love, because it is ‘girl to girl’. So, it’s like Romeo and Juliet and yet it is not too. And, we can modernize it anyway.”

 

                     “Oh, yeokshi! As expected Umji-ya!” One student praised Umji while the other just smiled and nodded at her.

 

                     “Yeah, it’s kind of cool to see both leads as girls. It would be a new one. Let’s end homophobia!” Someone shouted at the back, and her voice is unsure if she’s excited or what.

 

                     Everyone stared at each other before perhaps, finding the idea good, and the class erupted in cheers. SinB’s friends however are already forming a good plan for them while there is SinB pretending that she wasn’t part of the class and she just stared at her notebook. She is doing that to prevent anyone from giving her a lot of responsibilities again since people thought she was dependable and cool, and literally can do everything well. It’s a pain in the but, what can she do?

 

                     “Okay then Star! I mean Yerin!” Somi announced loudly, getting all the attention again. “You’ll be Romeo.” She finished, and everyone nodded and screamed in agreement and excitement.

 

But, the happiness is short-lived because of what Yerin said.

 

                     “Sorry.” She said, quietly at first. “I don’t want to disappoint you guys but… can you pelase give me something else? I mean instead of the lead role I can do something.” She said, but the class wants her to be the lead and so she was just answered by silence and stares from them. “I can work as the props man or maybe take care of the costumes for you guys. I have a lot of contacts for that that can help us. And me, playing as the lead role is not a good idea. I think…” She continued.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter