Those Who Know

Love Star (Broken Wings)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Of course she could be trusted. How could I be foolish to doubt the only friend who has stayed with me? I closed my eyes, ashamed of what I just thought before. 

 

 

 

“Are you okay?” Eunha-unnie asked. “Want to go home?”

 

 

Eunha? How could I ever forget? She is that person who stupidly and willingly run towards me without even thinking or… well, maybe she did, but despite knowing the consequences,  she still did it. She still came towards me and stayed even when her life could be on the line. She is that friend, on those dark times of my life, who tried to struggle in life with me, trying to ignite light even when in order to that it needs to consume itself . I could still vividly remember how I told her to run away, to go and live, but she stood there, yelling at me to stand up and stay with her. In fact, I heard from her that it is prohibited to tell me deeper stories about the forgotten past. 

 

 

Absurd? I know.

 

 

She did tell me some things anyway. The same goes with my mom. Though, they did it bit by bit. She said that’s better so we could prevent the trauma from going back. They have never talked about the incident though unless I bother the hell out of them with my stubbornness.  I’m even actually pretty amazed that she stayed with me even though I forget some of the things that happened involving her. 

 

 

 

That hurts. I know...

 

 

 

And honestly, she is one of those people who have told me stories which actually coincide with the fragments I’m slowly retrieving.

 

 

 

 

I guess, I’m just stupid to even think that she isn’t on my side.

 

 

 

 

I smiled at her and shake my head. “No, It’s fine unnie.” I answered. “I’m sorry for making you worry. And…” I looked at her. I feel so sorry for doubting her for those minutes. 

 

 

“I’m sorry for doubting you.” I confessed and she knitted her eyebrows.

 

 

 

 

I looked down, my head low while I my lips and absent-mindedly played with my fingers. “I’m… I just got confused.”

 

 

My eyes went wide went she lifted my head, her fingers gently holding my chin. “It’s okay. I could understand. It must be hard for you considering that you only get to collect memories and most of them are just fragments.” She smiled at me, the kind of smile that is so genuine and gentle that I almost feel like crying. I honestly feel like my voice would break anytime soon.

 

 

“It must be hard getting stories and some are not even making sense, right?” She asked me, making me look at her directly. 

 

 

“W-what?”

 

 

She grinned at me. “I hope your condition doesn’t make you forget that I am always here with you…and, we’re practically like twins, where you are is where I am... That should kind of explain how I get to know that you got some stories who are not even part of your real past.” 

 

 

I looked at her, my mouth open in shock. “S-so, you’re telling me..”

 

 

I watch her shake her head slowly and grin, she then tap my shoulders and gently pulled Dahyun. “How many times do I have to say that in your condition, you should put the stories through the filtration process. Collect the filtrate then put the things that didn’t pass through in a chest. You need it for survival.” She said without looking at me as she pull Dahyun with her so as to make the girl walk with her.

 

 

“And don’t you think it’s way better for you to talk in a simple manner that we could understand easily?” I counter-attacked. Well, isn’t it really better for her to just say it directly?

 

 

“I wanted to. I always wanted to.” She muttered but I heard it. 

 

 

“Then do it.” I challenged.

 

 

However, she just looked at me for some seconds and then she smiled. She turned to Dahyun and said, “Has your mother ever told you to be careful on accepting anything given to you? Especially by strangers.” 

 

 

Dahyun giggled before agreeing with the midget. And I just sighed, walking in front of the two. Sometimes, my friends won’t just tell things directly at me. And I am always left to think by myself.

 

 

 

 

 

That kind of reminds me, I have to tell something to Eunha-unnie. 

 

 

 

She needs to know.

 

 

 

 

 

 

========================================================================

 

 

 

The wind from outside, kissing my skin, feels fresh. Somehow, the phrase ‘I need some air’ kinds of make sense when it is like this. It helps me to think about things I should have been pondering about and decide on some things I have wanted to run away from. 

 

 

You see, I am standing here again, on that spot where I would often see Yerin standing. It is still a question for me. What could be in here that made her stand for minutes and then sit on her chair before the ring bells? I can’t see that much of anything interesting unless she is a nature lover. So, I’m here left to contemplate about how the wind is making me feel light and at the same time making me process about anything that would pass through my mind. 

 

 

Could it be that she is just also thinking when she stands here?

 

 

I don’t know. Maybe she is… but it’s kind of off because there are times I would drive pass through the gate and there are times I would get off the car and I would look at her. I would then feel that our eyes would met even at that distance. I honestly don’t know if she’s looking at me but myself says it is. Her eyes doesn’t look like it’s thinking of something deep. It’s alive. It’s sparkling as if she is so happy that she could dance right there. 

 

 

There comes a time that I wanted to ask her about it but I wasn’t able to since she spoke first and I didn’t get to bring it up. That is just one question I have for her but once she spoke about certain things, like what she did in her past before coming back to Korea, my lovestruck self became so engrossed about it that a pile of question would bury that first question I have.

 

 

Right, she haven’t answered some of the questions I have asked her. Could I ask her some other time? Nah, the question should be could I get an alone time with her. Now that Yuju is here, getting her to stay with me alone would be a rare sight.

 

 

 

My thoughts has been interrupted by students hurrying towards their seat. 

 

 

That should be my cue.

 

 

I then walked towards mine while I saw Umji and the others sit and fix their stuff on their table. “What’s up?” I asked before taking my seat. I scrunched up my nose when I saw Umji asking me to lean closer. I did, of course.

 

 

“I think our class is the celebrities’ favorite.” She whispered.

 

 

“Why?” I mouthed but she wasn’t able to answer me as I saw Yerin walking in front of me and immediately taking her seat. And I bet it’s too obvious how my eyes followed her directin until she sits comfortably on her seat. A few seconds after, the professor walked in with two female students following her.

 

Our class might really be a favorite of celebrities. Well, of course, it’s the top section and the trendy idols are somehow in the same age as us. I guess, it’s just a coincidence that they enroll in ours.

 

Some students immediately pulled out their phone while some tried their best to scream silently. Me? Nah, I don’t do that, the first transferee is someone who just ruined my day today so I’m not in the mood to be happy with the news. I just put on a blank face as if I’m bored. That is until my eyes went wide when I saw the second student. 

 

 

She has a long black hair with prominent eyebrows. She wears a smile on her face that makes her eye smile too. She kind of reminds me of someone because of that trait but hers is a little different. She has a pointed nose that makes her look cute but I don’t know how to describe it. 

 

 

I know her. I definitely know her. 

 

 

 

The first student? Nah, don’t ask me. Everyone would know her.

 

 

“So as to follow our tradition, let’s ask our transferees to say a short introduction.” The prof told us. And I smiled, silently thanking God for the tradition. Because, actually, I’m afraid to say that I forgot her name already.

 

 

I watched the two new students look at each other, probably gauging who would speak first. The celebrity then courteously gestured for the other to speak first. 

 

 

 

Well, she is smart and considerate. I thought as I put my arms across my chest. Disliking her even if she ruined my day would then be difficult.

 

 

 

“Hi. I’m Son Ju Yeon but I go by the name of Eunseo. Nice to meet you all.” She said simply before flashing her smile and bowing.

 

 

 

“Nice to meet you too.” 

 

 

 

Some of the students turned to look at me with their mouth hanging open. I mouthed them a ‘why’ but then it struck me that I unconsciously answered. I flashed them a smile too as I raised my hand on the level of my chest  in a joking manner, kind of saying that I didn’t mean to say it out loud. That makes Yewon gently slap  my arm in embarrassment while the others laugh including Eunseo, and I guess, we’ll be closer soon.  

 

 

 

We just click. I could feel it.

 

 

 

The other student then step forward and there goes some of the students fangirling again. I put on a smile but the competitive side of me is now creating friction on the imaginary rocks it has to start an early fire.

 

 

She just smiled and the students who are in front screamed and might have gone crazy with hearts going out of their eyes. 

 

 

“Hi.” 

 

 

There goes that same reaction which Star just showcased on that month she transferred. That reminds me, how would Star feel? I turned to look at her and the corner of my mouth twitched. Damn, she is all ears at her with her smile so wide I thought I could see all of her teeth. I immediately turned my head in front in an effort to save my mood.

 

 

 

“I’m Choi Yuna. Yuju-imnida. Please take care of me.” She then bowed. And as usual, that same reaction from the students. 

 

 

“I think I’m getting sick.” I whispered to no one but it caught Umji’s attention. She laughed at me while she shakes her head slowly bringing her notebook out of her bag. 

 

 

 

“I’m getting alive.” She said which makes me look at her questioningly. I watched as she shrugged her shoulders. “This would be fun.” She said as she send me a wink.

 

 

 

 

“Since we got to have two transferees, I’m thinking of changing seats so as everyone would feel like our room is new.” Our professor excitedly announced. 

 

 

My classmates erupted in a cheer and some already offered their seatmate’s seat and the others suggesting some good ideas. I’m not surprised at that because that is how Yerin got to take her seat too. Well, with the conniving plans of my lovely friends. But I got surprised when Yewon raised her hand. The others even shut up too when they saw Umji raising her hand. 

 

 

 

 

Eh… I thought, amused by the situation. What could be going on in her mind?

 

 

“I volunteer my seat.” She said, making my jaw fall on the floor. 

 

 

 

What the hell is she thinking?

 

 

Don’t tell me this is another plan they crazily come up with?

 

 

 

 

“Hmm.” The professor contemplated. “That’s good but since you are going to volunteer your seat. How about we make SinB sit beside Yerin, and Yuju?” 

 

 

 

“WHAT?!” I asked. “I - I mean, sir, I think we have to make them sit on --”

 

 

“It’s a good idea!” There goes my friend Pinky with another genius plot with Somi.

 

 

“I second that!” I closed my eyes. There goes Somi. I felt Umji’s hand patting my shoulder gently. I actually wanted to ask her why did she volunteer her seat and why the hell would she join the plot of these two angel friends I have at the back.

 

 

“By doing that, you could entrust SinB about guiding and helping Yuju and Yerin on around the school. Then our Umji could help Eunseo.” Somi suggested and as expected, no matter what she says, our professor would agree with her. Especially if it’s backed up with Umji and Pinky. 

 

 

 

Can someone remind me why I am friends with these two?

 

 

Yes, just two, I wouldn’t forget why I am friends with our Yewon. She’s a baby angel I need in my life.

 

 

 

 

“Okay then, it’s settled!” Our professor clapped, signalling the students to go on their respective seats already. “So, I’ll leave you all at that. You could read on your own. I’ll just leave SinB and Yewon here for you all to ask with if you have questions.”

 

 

 

 

He didn’t really ask for my opinion? Great. Just great.

 

 

 

 

Minutes have passed when the professor went out of the room and I’m still not moving at my seat. My eyes remain closed until I sense someone moving closer. I opened it and I saw Yerin going closer at me. I am about to smile but when I angle my head a little, I saw a girl standing on her back. 

 

 

Yuju. 

 

 

Oh, come on. Forgive me but the green monster in me gets unleashed as the scene on the hall flashed at the back of my eyes. So in the end, I just raised my eyebrows at them. 

 

 

 

She  cleared with poise before she spoke, “We would like to ask you if what arrangement you would want.” Yerin gestured at Yuju to come closer and I struggled to control the side of me to come out.

 

 

“Whatever is fine with me.” I told the two of them. “Whatever that could make you two comfortable. I just hope you two wouldn’t be distracting when there’s a class.”

 

 

I just hope that you two won’t be too rude to flirt when I am in here. 

 

 

I raised my head and I saw Yerin smiling wide while she nods enthusiastically. That made me worry. I got a bad thought that she might snap her head by doing that. Yuju, on the other hand, is smiling at me too. I guess, she’s kind and would be a good friend given if we would have good circumstances involving the two of us. 

 

 

Too bad she might be my rival. But inside me, something tells me she would be a good friend.

 

 

 

Why does this feels familiar?

 

 

 

Deja Vu?

 

 

 

 

 

========================================================================

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Ah! It came in again!” A girl shouted. 

 

 

Yuju on the other hand just look at the creature flying around the room. “It looks cute, isn’t it?” She asked the blonde girl, sitting on her right. 

 

 

The blonde girl giggled. “Nah, you’re more cute.” She smoothly said, looking on what she is scribbling on a piece of paper she torn from her notes. The other idol, assuming that she is the receiver of that smooth line slapped the blonde. 

 

 

SinB, on the other hand, shakes her head, a grimace on her face is visible, as she gathered her things and stuff it in her bag. She had hoped to be on the receiving end of that line too but she can’t be sure as the other is looking at her paper, while Yuju has said the cute word first. 

 

She had decided to go away then so as to save her heart from collapsing. She convinced herself that she is tired anyway. She has been answering her classmate’s questions for almost an hour and teaching them some mnemonics she devised. She is glad though that because of that she got to be more closer than Yerin since Yerin is asking a lot at her. She even got to touch her hand and that made up everything that ruined her day. Well, except that other one she saw at the hall. 

 

 

Actually, if she did not see that happen on the freshman hall, she still probably thinks Yerin has something for her and she definitely knows she likes Yerin in return. Considering what happened between them for months already, she really thought there is. Now? Just like her messed up past, she thought, she has gone back to the first step. Is Yerin naturally just the bubbly friendly ray of sunshine she is? Add the touchy and flirty one she had seen when they are left alone. 

 

The thing she had seen at the hall made her think Yerin’s moves for her are not that serious. And, she probably is just the one who thinks it has something more.

 

 

She sighed.

 

 

Let’s just forget about that, shall we? She mentally asked herself. 

 

 

However, her mind contradicts her. Are you even sure they kissed?

 

 

 

Ugh, it. Just forget about it!

 

 

 

At times like this, she is really glad that she is studying well and her brain seems intelligent enough to know a lot. And more importantly, capable enough to lie at herself. You might not believe it but she said, she does that as a coping mechanism. 

 

 

 

She stood up and immediately walked towards her friend, Umji, with the reason of ‘saving herself’ from the cringy stuff she is hearing on her seat. The new transferee, Eunseo, greeted her with a bow and a smile on her face. 

 

 

 

Eunseo. SinB now recognized her. She is that friend she has that is working on her favorite cafe. That cafe where she and Dahyun made their first step to start anew and most importantly, that cafe where she first bumped into Yerin. They talked a lot before but recently, she doesn’t have the time to visit the cafe. The girl usually listen at her stories, her rants and just everything she says. Basically, Eunseo could pass as her bestfriend aside from Eunha and Umji. 

 

 

 

She is glad that Eunseo has now enrolled in her school as she could remember how they talk about Eunseo wanting to study there but Eunseo had some financial problems. She can’t remember it clearly but it is something about her father being vanished from his position in some company. 

 

 

“Congrats!” SinB greeted in return. 

 

 

“Thanks?” Eunseo said. “Do I have to say thanks when we all know I can really get in here?” She then winked at SinB which made the other laugh as an answer.

 

 

“You two... know each other?” Umji asked, her eyes going back and forth between the two. She is surprised by the sudden closeness that is obvious on their conversation. SinB nodded while Eunseo made a wide grin, giving the two a special treat of an eye smile from her.

 

 

SinB almost wished she could have fallen from that eye smile but no, she had fallen again on Yerin’s signature eye smile coupled with that Indian dimple of hers. Eunha last week about having the eye smile as her weakness since according to her retrieved memories and stories from Eunha their long lost friend who SinB had fallen to has that same trait too. Though, of course, SinB denied she had fallen for her. She even had once tried getting her mom side her at this but her mom laugh at her saying she can’t lie and SinB told her about a girl which makes her world happier by just making her eyes smile at her. 

 

 

SinB sighed upon realizing she might really love those traits and just in case, moving on from Yerin would be difficult. She sat on the seat in front of Umji and began to tell how the two of them became friends. 

 

 

Starting from the time Eunseo approached her while she is zoning out while her eyes are directed outside through the transparent glass of the cafe. She described how adorable Eunseo is then considering she has a diary with her. Not that she is judging since it’s alright for her for people to write their entries there at that cafe. She might even agree that writing there would be convenient since the cafe isn’t too noisy at all and the songs that would sometimes play would be relaxing. Sometimes, she even thought she would be falling asleep again. 

 

 

It is also weird how Eunseo asked her to write some entries on her own diary because well, it’s supposed to be Eunseo’s diary. However, she did as told. A lot of times that happened and somehow, she admits, she missed writing on the other’s diary. 

 

 

 

It is still a mystery to her why the other girl would ask her if she about some things, like asking her if she remember about going to this forest and if you walked farther there would be a vast land with a tree in the middle and not so far away is a clear shallow pond, or like Eunseo would draw something on her diary and ask her if that’s familiar to her. 

 

 

 

When SinB talked about the drawings, she couldn’t hold in her laughter and as loud as it may be, it is also contagious which makes the other two laugh with her, after Eunseo did a lot of threatening for her to stop. She told Umji that some of them are familiar because one, it is a common thing and two, it might really be familiar. However, she also told Umji that a lot of them are almost like abstracts that she can’t really know if she interpreted Eunseo’s drawings right, making Eunseo give her a slap not so gentle that it produced a sound. 

 

 

 

Umji is impressed by that seeing how Eunseo and SinB interact. Well, they could really be close. 

 

 

 

“Though, we could say we just clicked.” SinB said, cutting the story short.

 

 

“The first time I saw her, I actually thought I met her before. It’s like there’s a pull between us.” SinB explained further.

 

 

 

Eunseo hummed at that. “Maybe we did really meet before. You just don’t know.” She said plainly, ending it with a shrug. Yewon, on the other hand, raised one of her eyebrows unconsciously. She watched how Eunseo gulped when SinB suddenly get quiet and maybe the effect of Umji getting serious and directly looking at her to continue.

 

 

 

Eunseo giggled. “She’s dumb.” She pointed at SinB making the girl with blonde streaks glare at her. “Of course, it’s a given that I know her. She’s the daughter of the queen Jessica Jung.” Eunseo joked, laughing in the end with Umji with SinB crossing her arm on her chest, pouting. 

 

 

However, Eunseo internally asked herself if she said something that shouldn’t be said, in her mind is the picture of Umji looking at her as if the other girl is waiting for her to slip. And if she would slip she could already imagine how she would be interrogated. 

 

 

That’s a crazy idea but hey, it could happen. She told herself.

 

 

 

Eunseo could see how Umji formulate a question for her while there’s SinB already giving her some short-cuts she thought of for easy memorizing. However, a knock on the door distracted them. 

 

“Excuse me, the principal wanted to talk to you Umji-ssi.” The girl on the door said on which Umji immediately responded with a thanks. 

 

 

“I’ll leave you two then here? You know, to catch up and all.” She stood up, leaving her bag on top of her table. “I’ll be right back.”

 

 

“Let’s go, Yuju-ssi?”

 

 

“Ah.. the principal told us to wait here... I mean, Eunseo and I.” Yuju explained, in which SinB and Umji mouthed an ‘oh’. 

 

 

“I guess that’s my cue too to leave.” SinB said, coolly standing up from her oh so comfortable way of seating. “See you all out!” She said, not even turning her head back, though at least she is waving her hand in the air as if she is waving goodbye.

 

 

“No wonder how almost all the girl in this university is swooning over her.” Eunseo commented, looking at the figure of SinB walking away. 

 

 

Yuju, sat on Umji’s seat, before she looked at the retreating figure too. “There might be more to it… But I agree, it’s a plus she has the visuals and that aura.” 

 

 

“More… to it, you say?” Eunseo repeated slowly. “You do know her? Well, that’s a dumb question to ask.” She said before she smirked and agree.  “Yeah, she has something else.” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

========================================================================

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Does this bird hit its head and forgot where she is that she thought this room is her home?” Yuju joked to no one while she and Eunseo are waiting for the principal. She is watching the bird, which, once again, is flying around the room. 

 

“Dummy.” She said before giggling.

 

 

“Even people can lose their way. Why can’t birds?” Eunseo responded, not exactly meaning to take Yuju’s ‘dummy’ word seriously.

 

 

 

“Well, isn’t it cute?” Yuju asked, looking up, moving her head on the direction the bird would went to. 

 

 

 

Eunseo hummed. “It might be cute but.. I would feel sad if it’s lost, which I think it is.” 

 

 

That made Yuju tear her gaze away from the bird. “Is it?” She asked.

 

 

 

“It reminds me of someone I know before so it makes me sad. I just wanted to help it but opening the window only gives a little help.” Eunseo said, looking at the window. “I guess I am only here to open the window. But... I hope not.” 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter