Cubism

Love Star (Broken Wings)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

I am a portrait in style of cubism.


 

A moving mess of scribbled lines entangled in different ways, just like how my life shaped it to be.


 

And sometimes, I wonder how can an abstract like me be walking in this chilly autumn night, under the vast blanket of velvety black where little diamonds sparkle in different light. And even when I look on my left, I would find myself beside someone who is the art itself in its best form.

 

I turned my head and quietly took the time to look at her. She’s beautiful. Like, really.

 

There are times I just find myself getting the habit of looking at her quietly and just doing that. It seems like I wouldn’t be bored on having that as my only view. I just can’t be tired of appreciating it. Well, I think nobody can.

 

And under this vast sheet, with the moon lighting our way, I traced the features of her face. Starting from every line of her hair - every put there as if it’s in there for a reason. Settling on her lips which I almost thought is a bow of Cupid, her kiss as that of an arrow pinning my heart in its core, making me unable to turn away.


 

“Oh, look.” She told me as she stopped on her tracks, her right hand suddenly holding my wrist, effectively stopping me from taking another step.


 

Still looking at her, I scrunch my eyebrows checking on where she might be looking at. I felt her hand tightened on my hand once before she turned to me and smiled. And as if I’m a teenager who just got caught staring by her crush, I immediately snap my head to where she is looking.


 

“A-ah, Yes! It is beautiful!” I said, a failed attempt to make it seem I am calm.


 

She giggled. Her eyes challenging the moon again on it’s former crescent shape before it got to be this circle of a moon.

 

“Do you even know what I’m saying?” She asked and I just smiled before laughing at myself too.


 

I felt her hand give another squeeze on mine before she turned her head away and gestured. “There.” She said. And again, I find myself smiling wider, looking at how her teeth gets showcased when she smile before I turned to look at the same direction she is looking at.


 

There, high in the black sky, a lonely airplane ploughs the night. A blinking rhyme of its light colored in ruby is in motion. It is like a bright moving red star crossing the dark sky of blue and violet. Traversing the space between the twinkling diamonds of the constellation I don’t know what. I guess it might be the Ursa Major but I am not quite sure even if I actually spend almost half of my nights looking above.

 

I followed the plane with my gaze, until it almost seem to look like it passes the yellow moon. The moon looks like it staring down on the Earth, it’s gaze giving the light. And I wonder whether it’s mild melodious rays will sympathize with my heart that is wanting to reach out and touch her, and probably bring solace to my soul who cannot find the thought of these kind of nights ending.


 

I turned my head abruptly when I heard her breathily laugh. I was met with a view of her crescent shaped eyes and her reddening cheeks. Somehow, cute dimples on her cheeks are showing. Her soft ha-has gives the effect of little smoke in the air. And I find myself sighing dreamily.


 

“You seem to be caught up with that.” She commented. “I’ve watched you look at that and you don’t seem to notice until I laugh.”


 

And I blushed, it is just that I didn’t think she could be watching me too. And probably, just maybe, in the same way I did when I look at her. I didn’t think that could be possible, though of course, I might have dreamt of it happening.

 

But before the red color takes over my cheeks, I already find myself speaking. “Yeah, but it won’t make me admire it for so long just how I do when I look at y-” And then I find myself realizing I am spitting out stuff I could just keep for myself.


 

She giggled before trying to go for my cheeks, and squishing it. “You’re sooooo cute. Do you know that?”

 

And of course, being me, I whined, telling her to stop and it hurts. But actually all my insides are screaming just from the contact we are having.


 

Yes, I don’t know why but I seem to be like a lovesick teenager caught up in this maze. Yet I also seem to know that I’m happy I have met her in this entangled life of mine and make me experience how to smile like crazy just from seeing that certain sparkle in her eyes when our eyes would meet.



 

Kinda silly, right? But I do accept it.


 

And I like it.



 

The time that my cheeks are already filled with red is the time I just noticed, her hand is still holding mine and no, I just can’t blush more of a deep red. I think I’m burning but that good kind of burn. And no matter how chilly this evening could be, I think I would still ask for time to slow down, even just for a little bit. Ignoring this little part of me saying it’s just foolishness, I just want this moment to last.


 

However, her phone buzzed, making her jump a little. I guess that’s our cue to go home now. She let go of my hand to type a reply and as much as I also don’t want to admit it, I’ve missed the warmth of her hand, and just the feeling of her holding mine. I watch the light of her phone shine on her face as she reads the message she got. And I don’t understand what am I thinking but I thought this time, probably, I could ask her.

 

However, when she raised her head and look at me, I think I just lost my tongue.


 

“You okay?” She asked me. Her hand touching my arm gently. It feels cold but it is so soft I just wanted it to stay there.

 

I nodded and gave her a smile, kind of controlled just not to be obvious with my giddy feelings all resurfacing and invading my brain cells.


 

“Y-yeah. Of course, definitely better.” I answered her. Though I didn’t told her the phrase after that and kept it on my mind. Definitely better when you are here.


 

“Okay then.” She nodded cutely before she pulled me gently to continue walking. “Come on. Let’s go somewhere else. Sojung unnie just give me a time as a curfew.” She grinned mischievously and I generously returned the same kind.

 

Oh, right. Apparently, my car already has an empty fuel and I might not get to refuel it last time since I’m about to get late to school. And today, I might have forgotten it since the person I like just sit on the passenger seat and I just can’t focus when she’s just inches away from me. So… this leads to this. And it’s weird but I’m happy my car lost it’s fuel. If not, I’m probably not having more time with her like this.


 

It’s just walking beside her but… I like this.



 

We continued walking until we reached that part of our place with buildings and different colors of lights decorating them. The night streets like these are beautiful. Soon, we’ve seen people roaming around the streets like us. We can also hear the train passing by and I wonder what time is it already.

 

Suddenly, I heard her gasps excitedly and I found myself being pulled hurriedly on a nearby store.

 

“Food food!” She said bubbly, almost bouncing as if she can’t stay not moving as she falls in line.

 

I chuckled, teasing her. “What a kid.” And she just rolled her eyes at me before continuing the same thing.

 

 

It is good though that the people there didn’t even care to look at her. Well, she still looks fine and she will probably be always be. But, sometimes I know how it feels like when some people just won’t let you leave peacefully on your own. I haven’t got to experience that same kind of popularity but still…

 

“Look.” She caught my attention. “What would you like to get?” She asked me and I hummed looking at what is in the store. Leaning a little so I could see more, I let my eyes roam on the counter. I see transparent plastics of cup with that cover shaped like a dome. In it are a mixture of strawberries, and other berries of black and  blue. There are also green ones which I don’t kind of have a guess what it could be.

 

I found myself smiling when I get to look at her and I saw her with her eyes sparkling and her hands clasped near her chest. “Fruits~” She said to no one, her tone going soft in seconds.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter