Perfect Strangers 2

Midnight Illusions Collection of Short Stories

*Continued from previous chapter

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Jaejoong is still waiting for Karen to come. It was almost a week since he last met her. When Karen first did not came to that café, Jaejoong thoughts Karen was busy with her college stuff. When the next day Karen was still did not show up, Jaejoong reassure himself by saying that Karen maybe busy with something. The thirs day, Jaejoong was started worrying. He really feels regret that he never asked Karen for her number. He wondered why Karen did not stop by to this café. He wondered what if he did something wrong, something that offended her and Karen is mad at him. At the worst part, Jaejoong afraid something bad happen to her but Jaejoong doesn’t like that thinking. He was praying that everything is alright and hopefully Karen is just busy.

 

“She still did not come today, Jaejoong-sshi?” Suddenly the waiter asked.

 

“No.. Yunho-sshi. Have you seen her coming for the past week?” Jaejoong asked.

 

“Hurm..No. The last time I saw her was when she met you here. After that I never saw her coming to this café. Do you think is it because of my drinks taste bad?” Yunho the waiter asked Jaejoong again, afraid that his service what causing Karen stopped coming here.

 

Jaejoong laughs. “No, I don’t think it was the reason. Your drinks are really good, especially Mocha Frappucino. It is my favourite indeed,”

 

“Really? Thank you!” Yunho relieved.

 

Jaejoong stared at the outside of the window. The Frank Sinatra song, ‘Strangers in the night’ was playing inside the café. This song has become his favourite song. He close his eyes, tried to remember when the time Karen humming the melody of this song. She always hummed this song when they met. Seems like Karen didn’t realize Jaejoong is always watching her moves, gestures, words and body language. He really missed her so badly.

 

♪ Something in your eyes was so inviting

Something in your smile was so exciting

Something in my heart told me I must have you… ♪

 

 

Yunho who was standing beside Jaejoong, realize that Jaejoong thinking about Karen right now. He really wants to help Jaejoong but nothing much he can do. He already asked Jaejoong to leave his number and will immediately contact him when Karen comes to his café. But Karen never showed up.

 

“Jaejoong-sshi, I’m about to close my café..” Yunho speaks hesitantly.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I will leave now. Thanks Yunho-sshi,” Jaejoong stands up and takes out his money from his wallet. Then he gives it to Yunho.

 

“Thanks you,”Yunho smiles. “Don’t worry; I’m sure she will show up. She might be busy right now. I will call you if I see her around here,” Yunho pats Jaejoong’s shoulder.

 

Jaejoong pats Yunho’s hand that on his shoulder. “Thanks Yunho sshi. See you, good night.”

 

Jaejoong walks out from that café. The weather is quite cold tonight but he not really aware of that because his mind is wandering about Karen. What happen to her? Did I done something wrong? Where are you, Karen? Jaejoong aimlessly walking along the empty street near that café. His feet moves itself and Jaejoong’s thought is full with question. While he was walking, suddenly his feet step on something. Jaejoong looks down and fetch the thing. A purse. He opens it. There are several dollars in it along with some coins. Jaejoong search for identification cards and he found a name card.

 

Jang Chaelin.

 

Jang Chaelin? He looks at the address that printed on that card. This person is living nearby this street. Should he return it according to this address or should it give this to police station? After thinking for a while, Jaejoong decides to give it by himself because the address is not too far from here.

 

Jaejoong climbs up the stairs of an apartment. According to this address, this person; Jang Chaelin lives on second floor. Her house number is 208. The door at 208 was slightly opened. Jaejoong knocks on the door. “Hello, Miss Jang?”

 

Suddenly, there is a loud thump coming from inside the house. Then, Jaejoong heard a loud ouch. Jaejoong shocked and don’t know what he should do. Should he just enter this house without permission? But he worried if anything happen inside this house. “Miss Jang? Are you okay? Can I come in?”

 

Jaejoong pushed the door. He looked around inside the apartment. He is calling her name, “Miss Jang? Hello? Anyone?”

 

Then, he heard some noise coming out near the living room. He quickly walks there and found someone lying on the floor, touching her head which is bleeding.

 

“Oh my God, are you okay? Can you stand up?” Jaejoong rushing towards her and help her to sit on a couch. He then checks her wound at her forehead. Jaejoong shocks of what he saw. It was Karen who is bleeding.

 

“Karen?” Jaejoong looks puzzled.

 

“Jae?” Karen looked that she was shocked too. “How did you get here?”

 

“I come to return this purse,” He showed the purse that he found on the street.

 

“Omo, that’s mine! I lost it yesterday,” Karen said.

 

“But you said your name is Karen?” Jaejoong asked.

 

“Huh?” Karen looks more confused.

 

“But this purse belong to Jang Chaelin,” Jaejoong exclaimed.

 

Karen looks dumbfounded, after a second or two she laughs, “I am Jang Chaelin. Karen is my English name, you silly,”

 

“Oh, I see. Sorry,” Jaejoong scratched his head. “Oh, where is the first aid kit? I will fix that for you,” Jeajoong checked Karen’s forehead.

 

“At the kitchen,” Karen said.

 

After getting the first aid kit, Jaejoong takes some wool and clean the blood from Karen’s forehead. Then, he put some antiseptic while blowing at the cut and put a plaster on it. After he done cleaning the wound, he take a good look at Karen. “You don’t look so good,”

 

“Oh, I have a fever. I take some medicine just now. I was about to fall asleep when I heard someone knocks the door. I was rushing to get it but my feet tripped at the coffee table and my head hit the table,” Karen touches her head. “I still feel dizzy,”

 

“Oh, let me take you back to your room,” Jaejoong hold Karen’s hands.

 

“No, it’s okay. I can walk by myself,”

 

“I’m sorry but I can’t trust you to walk by yourself anymore. Let me help you,” Jaejoong said firmly.

 

Jaejoong helped Karen walks towards her bedroom. Then he helped her lying on her bed. He touched her forehead and he touched his.

 

“Hurm, your temperature is quite hot. Where can I get a small towel?”

 

“It’s okay, Jaejoong. I’m fine. You can leave if you want,” Karen said.

 

“Are you throwing me out from your house?” Jaejoong raised his eyebrows.

 

“No! No! I mean, you don’t have to trouble yourself to take care of me. I’m fine,” Karen wakes up from her bed.

 

“I love to trouble myself if it’s to take care of you,” He smiles. “So, where can I get a small towel?”

 

Karen pointed to her drawer next to her make-up table. Jaejoong pulled the drawer and take a small towel. He goes to the kitchen and brings back a bowl of cold water with ice. He soaked the towel with the cold water and squeeze out the excess water out from the towel. He puts the towel on Karen’s forehead.

 

“Just sleep. I will be waiting here,” Jaejoong said while Karen’s hair. Karen feels so touched by Jaejoong. She feels like she wanna cry but she try very hard to hold her tears. She smiles and closes her eyes. Jaejoong keep her hair until she falls asleep.

 

So, Jaejoong stay the whole night to take care of Karen. He helped her if she wants to go to bathroom, he wakes her up so that she can takes her medicine and he puts a new soaked towel on her forehead every 30 minutes. When it was almost morning, Jaejoong even cooked for her breakfast. He cooks rice porridge and brings it to her bedroom.

 

Karen was just finished bathing. She feels so much better today, thanks to Jaejoong full attention for the whole night. She shocked when Jaejoong enters the room and really thankful she is already dress up.

 

“Sorry if I shocked you,” Jaejoong said while brings the tray to her side table.

 

“Can I turn on your radio?” Jaejoong asked. “You can eat while listening to a good music,”

 

“Yeah, sure,” Karen answered while drying her hair.

 

Karen just saw what Jaejoong brings into her bedroom. “Oh no. Jae, you don’t have to bring it in here. I can eat it at the dining table,” Karen said.

 

“It’s okay. You need more rest. Come, sit here,” Jaejoong tapped the bed beside him.

 

Karen is blushing madly. She slowly walks toward him and sit next to him. Jaejoong takes a spoonful of porridge and blows it. Then he wants to feed it to Karen. Karen hesitates at first but allowed him to feed her. Jaejoong smiles when Karen willing to take a bite from him. He continues doing it until he saw Karen’s crying. He stops feeding her and put the bowl on the side table.

 

“Karen, are you okay? What’s wrong?” Jaejoong Karen’s long hair and put it behind her ear.

 

“Why are you so nice to me? Please stop being nice to me. I might fall for you,” Karen said, sobbing.

 

“Is that the reason why you’re crying?” Jaejoong asked.

 

Karen nodded. “I really like you but I don’t know what to do. I wanna confess to you but I’m afraid that you don’t feel the same. I'm so confused on what I'm supposed to do. I wanna love you but I don’t know if I’m capable of loving again. My heart is just damaged. I'm really afraid that it will damaged again because it takes a miracle to heal my heart and you are my miracle,”

 

“That is why you stop coming to that café?” Jaejoong asked again.

 

“Yes, I’m so confused my feeling. I decide to stop meeting you so that I will not falling in love with you. But I was too late. I’m sorry..I’m sorry..” Karen is crying out loud. She knows this the end of her friendship. She ruined it.

 

Jaejoong lift up Karen’s chin. He wipes her tears using his fingers. Then, he surprised Karen by kissing her. Karen was so shocked and she did not move at all.

 

Jaejoong break the kiss. “You are so stupid. But I guess I am stupid too. I should confess to you earlier so that you don’t have to suffer like this,”

 

Karen looks confused. She did not understand what just happen. It was maybe because the fever takes away all her senses.

 

“I love you, Karen-sshi. Since the first time I saw you in that café, I felt like I must help you. After I met you, my nights were filled with your thoughts in my mind. I wanna confessed to you but I’m afraid you won’t accept me because you were just heart broken. If I knew that you feel the same too, I will not waste any time and will make sure that you will be mine,” Jaejoong finally confessed his feeling. He had been keeping his secret for Karen sake. He doesn’t want to ruin this friendship too. Co-incidentally, they both think the same and acted the same. The both kept the feeling for the sake of each other.

 

Karen startled of what she just heard. She still crying but this time it was tears of joy. She could not believe of what she just heard. She could not say anything. She wanna say many thing but there is like something stuck inside . All she can do is open her arms and surprised Jaejoong with a hug. Jaejoong smiles and hugs her tightly. They break the hug and looks at each other eyes. Jaejoong leans his forwards and kissed Karen. Karen deepen her kiss and her hand was hanging on Jaejoong’s neck.

 

There was a song played from the radio while they were kissing. It is a very familiar song. I was ‘Strangers In The Night’ but this time it was sang another singer. Karen breaks the kiss and giggles. “That is our song playing on the radio,”

 

Jaejoong takes Karen’s hand and brings her to close to the radio. “Shall we dance?” he asked.

 

Karen giggles and nods. They are dancing along with the music. They were both in each other embraces and humming the melody together.

 

 

♪ Strangers in the night exchanging glances

Wondering in the night

What were the chances we'd be sharing love

Before the night was through…♪

 

 ♪ Something in your eyes was so inviting

Something in your smile was so exciting

Something in my heart told me I must have you… ♪

 

♪Strangers in the night, two lonely people

We were strangers in the night

Up to the moment when we said our first hello…♪

 

“Do you think it was co-incident this song was playing when we met?” Karen asked Jaejoong.

 

“I think it’s fate. It was fate that makes me walked near the café and bring me to you,” Jaejoong resting his chin on Karen’s head.

 

“Hurm… Strangers in the night, but in our case it is ‘Strangers in the café,” Karen said.

 

“Yeah, thanks to that café, we met and fell in love,” Jaejoong said. He lower his head and kisses Karen again. Karen kisses him back and they keep dancing until the music end.

 

♪And ever since that night we've been together

Lovers at first sight, in love forever

It turned out so right for strangers in the night ♪

 

 ♪Love was just a glance away

A warm embracing dance away…♪

 

 

THE END

______________________________________________________________________________

 

*Hello, This is Iefa_San. Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoy this one-shot and don't forget to comment! Thank you!