Mayonaka no Shadow Boy *continued*

Midnight Illusions Collection of Short Stories

CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS


Her hands are so soft and warm. I didn't want to let it go. We took our time walking back. As we went further, we walked slower.

 

"Yuri, are you okay?" I asked. She was rubbing her foot and groaning. I bent down into front of her, my back facing to her.

 

"Here, get on." I said.

 

"What?" She asked.

 

"Get on." I said as I looked at her. "Hurry! It's cold."

 

She got on my back and I piggybacked her. She wasn't heavy nor light, she's just enough to not break my back.

 

"Ryosuke…." She whispered. "Ryosuke…"

 

"Yes?" I asked.

 

"Who are you…?" She sounded half asleep. I sighed. She still doesn't remember me.

 

"Don't you remember?" I asked.

 

She shook her head and said "No…please tell me."

 

I arrived at her house already. It was faster than I thought. I rang the bell and waited for someone to open the door. Yuri was already sleeping on my back.

 

Her mom came and opened the door. I wonder if she still remembers me. I smiled at her and she smiled back. So, she does?

 

" Ryosuke, how are you?" She does.

 

"I'm fine." I said, struggling with Yuri on my back.

 

"Oh, sorry. Come in, come in." Her mom said.

 

I entered and went to the living room. I placed her on the sofa carefully, aware that she might wake up. Her mom brought two cups of hot chocolate in. I smiled. She still remembers me liking hot chocolate.

 

"Here, come drink." Without any protestation, I sat down at another sofa and sipped my hot chocolate. Her mom came and sat next to me. She also sipped her hot chocolate.

 

"She doesn't remember me." I said, breaking the silence.

 

"Don't worry. Take your time. She always seem to forget things easily." She sighed. I nodded and took a sip of my hot chocolate.

 

"So, are you going to tell her?" She asked.

 

"No. I was hoping she remembers me before I leave Japan." I looked down.

 

"Leave Japan?" She looked at me.

 

"Yeah. I've got a tour and I'll be travelling around for three years."

 

"When are you leaving?"

 

"In two days." I looked down.

 

"Don't worry. She'll remember you. Have faith in her. I'll help if you want." She rubbed my back. I smiled and nodded.

 

"Thanks." I said.

 

"No problem. You were her first friend, after all. Oh, and she has this guy friend…urm, what's his name?" She tapped her forehead. "Ah! Ryutaro."

 

I looked at her in shocked. "Ryutaro?"

 

"He seems to like her. I know you like her too. Don't give her up." She smiled. I nodded and got up.

 

"I should get going."

 

"Sure. Take care."

 

And I left. I walked home and looked at the sky. I bit my lower lip.

 

"How am I going to tell her?" I asked to myself. I sighed and looked down. Please remember me.

 

----------------------

 

Yuri's POV.

 

The next morning, I found myself on the sofa. For a while I thought I was drugged but then I remembered. Ryosuke carried me on his back and walked home. He must be tired.

 

Mom came in and smiled. "You're awake, I see." She said.

 

"Yeah..what happened?" I asked, rubbing my forehead.

 

She didn't answer me. I looked at her but she just looked at me. I could see her eyes full with worries.

 

"Mom, what's wrong?"

 

"Just remember him." She said and then she left. Remember him? Him who?

 

My phone rang and it was Ryosuke. I answered it and he said he wanted to hang out today. I agreed to go to the park with him.

 

I got dressed and waited for him at the park. After a few minutes, he still didn't come. I got worried so I called him, but he didn't pick up.

 

"Ryosuke, where are you?" I asked.

 

Then, I heard the sound of guitar playing. I looked behind and saw Ryosuke, sitting there with a guitar in his hands. He was playing his song 'Mayonaka no Shadow Boy'. I smiled at him.

 

Our eyes met and he smiled as he played it. He didn't look anywhere else besides me. I felt like he was playing it for me. Everyone at the park gathered around us, listening to him playing.

 

When he finished, everyone clapped and so did I. I giggled as I enjoyed his singing. He looked rather handsome with the guitar. He then bowed at everyone and made his way to me.

 

"Sorry I'm late." He said.

 

"Huh, sorry doesn't change anything." I pouted.

 

He scoffed. "Want some ice-cream?" He asked.

 

"How did you know ice-cream was my favourite?" I gasped.

 

"I just do." He winked at me. I stuck out my tongue and hold his hand as we walked to the ice-cream parlour.

 

We sat down at the bench while eating our ice-cream. Our hands were still together. We keep giggling at each other's face.

 

"Yuri…?" A familiar voice said behind me. I looked behind - and so did Ryosuke - and saw Ryutaro.

 

"Ryutaro?" I said, surprised to see him there.

 

"What are you doing here?" He asked. He walked up to us and looked at our hands.

 

"Oh, we were just hanging out." I said.

 

"Oh..." He sounded sad.

 

"I just get going…" Ryosuke said, letting go of my hand.

 

"What? Why?" I pouted.

 

"I got to practice." He smiled and played with my hair.

 

"See ya." Ryutaro said.

 

"Ryutaro!" I said, looking at him.

 

"What?"

 

"Catch you later." Ryosuke said, waving.

 

I waved back and watched his leave. I sat back down on the bench and continued to my ice-cream.

 

"So, want to do anything?" Ryutaro asked, while sitting next to me.

 

"Nah. I'm beat, tomorrow got school. I've got to finish up my homework." I said and got up.

 

"You like him, don't you?" He asked and I stopped my steps.

 

"What?" I looked at him.

 

"You like him…right?" He was looking down, I don't know whether he's sad or not.

 

"Ye-yes."

 

He sighed and looked away. "You can go now."

 

I looked at him for a few seconds before going home. When I arrived, mom was sitting on the sofa. She was holding a tin that said 'Yuri's Memories.'

 

"Mom?" I asked. She turned to see me and smiled. She handed me the tin.

 

"Open it." She said and left.

 

I sat on the sofa and opened it carefully. Inside was stuff I had when I was little. Toys, socks, photos, everything. Then, I saw a photo. It was me…with a boy. The boy looked familiar, really familiar.

 

Then, I saw a letter. It was yellow and old. I carefully open the letter and read it.

 

Dear Yuri,

 

I hope you have fun at China. Don't forget me, okay? I'll be waiting for you! I promise. Are you still wearing that necklace I gave you? I hope you are. You promise we will meet again when you come back to Japan. That necklace is the only way for me to recognize you, not that I'm saying I'll forget about you. I just want to say I miss you.

 

Love, Ryosuke.

 

"Ryosuke?!" I shouted.

 

"You were friends with him since you were little." My mom said.

 

"But…why..?" I looked at my necklace and rubbed it with my finger.

 

"He's afraid you might forget about him. Go and tell him you remember as soon as possible."

 

Tears started to fall down my cheeks. I'm sorry, Ryosuke. I'm so sorry for forgetting about you. I hold the letter up to my chest and cried. I cried my heart out. I'm sorry.

 

-----------------------------

 

The next day, I arrived early too. I had to tell Ryosuke that I remember him, that I like him. When the bell rang and he hasn't come in yet, I began to worry. Another concert? I asked myself.

 

It was lunch and he still wasn't here. I searched him everywhere at school. I asked Keito about where he was.

 

"He's packing up to leave." He said.

 

"Leave? Leave where?"

 

"Leave Japan. He has tour for three years."

 

"What?!" I almost shouted.

 

I looked at my watch and there was still an hour left before he leaves. I've got to catch up before he leaves.

 

I went outside the gate and waited for a taxi. But there were none! I groaned as I looked for a few taxis. Then, a car came from nowhere. It honked and the window slid down. It was Ryutaro.

 

"Ryutaro?" I asked.

 

"Hop in. I'll give you a ride." He smiled.

 

I hopped in and I told him to drive to the airport. I keep looking at my watch and that made him drive even faster. When we arrive, I looked at my watch. There's still 15 minutes left!

 

We both looked for him together. Then, I spotted him. He was ready to get on his plane. I ran up to him and shouted his name. "Ryosuke! Ryosuke!"

 

He turned around and I hugged him. He was taken aback by my hug. We stayed like that for a few minutes before the PA announced that the passengers need to aboard now.

 

"Yuri…I got -" He started saying but I interrupted him.

 

"No. You can't! I remember you! I do. I..This.." I hold my necklace. "You gave me this. You said we'd be together forever. You promised! You can't leave me. I..I..I like you!" I cried.

 

"Yuri…." He said. He wiped my tears and hugged me.

 

"I'm glad you remember me. I like you too. Okay. I won't leave you. I won't go on this tour. I'll stay and be with you. I'll protect you." He said to me.

 

I couldn't stop crying. I was so happy to have him.

 

"I'm sorry.." I sniffed.

 

"For what?" He asked. We were still at the airport, sitting at one of the benches. His plane left 30 minutes ago. "I told you I wanted to stay."

 

"No, not that. I'm sorry because….I forgot about you." I looked down.

 

I heard him giggle and then he took my chin and our eyes met. He leaned in closer to me and we both closed our eyes. Our lips touched each other and I could feel the hair on my arms straighten. After what felted like hours, our lips separated.

 

He hugged me and whispered "I love you, Yuri."


hello~ it's me, qwuin-tastic (: I'm sorry for finishing you one-shot late ;/ [altho the deadline is tomorrow xP] i kinda couldn't get any ideas ;/

anyways, i hope you like it :D enjoy! and please comment, thankyou! ^^