Her White Day

Midnight Illusions Collection of Short Stories

SHOUTOUT TO: pomeranianpuppy

I hope you enjoy reading this as much as i had fun writing it! ^33^

WRITTEN BY:  Jadednite

@ midnight-illusionsx.blogspot.com 

-----------------------------------------------

Seo Yoojin smiled contentedly at herself as she gazed at the vanilla white heart-shaped container with a rosy pink ribbon tied in place to hold the lid and box together. It sat delicately in the middle of the table beside the hallway leading to the exit of her house. She reached out for her love gift before she headed to find the guy of her dreams. The guy whom she had liked for eight months. Now she could finally confess her love through this very special occasion. And whether or not he truly accepted her heart, he had to accept the gift; it was the custom for the occasion and to her, that was as good as accepting her heart.

Valentine’s Day.

Where the girls shower their love to the guy of their dreams.
The custom was that the guys accept all gifts whether they liked it -or the person giving it- or not.

So, with a hopeful heart Seo Yoojin walked towards the café as she clung onto the present nervously. Her eyes wandered around in search for him.

“Hey Soo yeon, have you seen Chansung?” Yoojin asked the raven-haired girl at the cashier, as she registered certain items on the machine. The cash register out promptly and she placed the green bills in. The girl looked up; first, vacuous in her blank eyes but then as her hazel eyes gazed upon the gift Yoojin was holding, a bitter expression washed over her for a split second, where it passed as fast as it came.

Realization crashed upon her that it was Valentine’s Day after all.

“Uh,” her eyes wandered off as she continued. “I think he’s in the storeroom, checking stocks…” Soo yeon trailed off.

“Thanks.” Yoojin flashed her pearlies with a seemingly taunting smile, as if she could read exactly what Soo yeon was thinking at the moment.


***

As the brunette closed in the gap between her and the ebony, he could even sense her desperation from afar. “Hey Chansung,” Yoojin smiled a little too sweetly and sickly as she literally skipped to him.

Ugh. Stop acting cute please.

Hwang Chansung rolled his eyes as he placed the brown box on the shelf and then turned to face his noona. “Yes?” He asked politely, a small vacant smile formed on his face and his eyes were reflecting tedium and dread—he’d second-guessed what she was most likely coming on about.

Today was… After all, Valentine’s day.

“Here Chansung-ah, your noona bought something for you,” she winked as she handed—more of like shoving it into Chansung’s face in his opinion— the heart shaped box to him, but the latter did not react.

Yes, she was indeed a beauty. Chansung would not deny that she wasn’t pretty. She was just trying too hard at everything; trying too hard to impress everyone—especially him—trying too hard being a people pleaser, but he knew her nice little image, smiles and ‘friendly’ gestures was just a facade.

He didn’t like that. And he knew too that Seo Yoo jin always had what she wanted.

Saw it,
Want it,
Got it.

And because of that, no matter how much upfront she put, there was one thing she could never shake off and that was her attitude.

Derisive and supercilious, Yoojin always picked on people who doesn’t rebut to her nasty yet ambiguous remarks.

People like Im Soo yeon. Everything opposite of what could be known as a spoilt brat—though ironic term being a people pleaser—Im Soo yeon differed in looks and personalities.

Im Soo yeon was what Chansung would call beautiful. Pretty, was even an understatement.

Though, to her personally, Soo yeon just simply ignored Yoojin's rude and parsimonious comments. She couldn’t care less about what Yoojin said.

But right now, at that very moment, Soo yeon had never cared so much about what Yoojin said—or would say—and about Chansung’s reaction. She didn’t want to eavesdrop, but she couldn’t resist the temptation as she went forward to the storeroom and stood near the doorway, feigning jadedness as she sat on the long wooden bench with her eyes shut.


***

“Chansung-ah, you don’t like gifts?” Yoojin asked with worried grin as the younger stood standing, hands remaining wedged to his sides.

“Actually,” he started off, his voice sounding more blunt than expected as his face stayed straight and went on, “I don’t like older women,” he ended off the serious statement with a light shrug and arched eyebrows.

Yoojin let the information sink in before she responded seconds later with a shriek an octave higher then before, “what?!” Her voice wavered and she could feel her heart breaking into a million pieces right at the moment.

Was he, rejecting her?

On the other side of the room, another heart was shattering into pieces at the same moment.

Tears welled at the corner of Soo yeon’s eyes as they threatened to fall. She had never felt so suffocated before, and the world suddenly seemed so distant as she stood up abruptly.

“I don’t like older woman get it? I like younger women. But more specifically, I don’t like you.” He frowned—but was chuckling inwardly—as he shrugged again and left the storeroom, leaving an astounded Yoojin behind. Shaken and upset by his words and harsh rejection, Yoojin staggered backwards and exhaled deeply, letting herself sink into a newfound misery and sniveled pitifully.


***

“Are you alright?” Chansung asked as he held firmly onto Soo yeon. They had crossed paths and literally bumped into each other, though thankfully Chansung caught Soo yeon in time before she landed on the ground. “Fine,” she almost snapped as she pulled herself away from the former and rushed back to the staff lounge. She doesn’t know why, but unexplainable rage was escalating in her and fury building in her actions; ire clouding her judgments as she tore opened her bag and fished out the gift she intended to give Chansung after work.

It wasn’t chocolates she planned on giving because she found it too common and clichéd, but she had prepared a card stacked with photos and quotes, as well as a watch; something she bought upon remembering him mentioning that he needed a new one—given that his current watch was in quite a pathetic state.

Out of the utmost burning anger, she grabbed the nicely decorated card and wrapped up box which contained the watch, before making her way to the trashcans. Then, she tossed the items in either one as her tears descended profusely. An unexplainable wave of despondency washed over her as her heart smoldered with pain.

“Soo yeon, are you alright?” Hea asked with concerned eyes as the other reentered the room.
All the girl did was gave a swift nod and Hea decided it was best to leave her alone as she left; biting her lower lip in uncertainty.


***


It was way past lunch time and the crowd in the café had died down, and it returned to its slow-paced crusade—like every early morning. Chansung was resting in one of the metal chairs as he slurped on noisily at his bubble tea. Hea went and joined him as she asked, “Oppa, I heard you dislike older women?”

He glanced up at her, a mixture of curiosity and incredulously in blend as he waited for her to continue.

One name.

“Yoo jin unnie,”

With that, he gave an eye roll as he felt annoyance boiling in him. “And you believed her?” he responded, his words laced with much exasperation.

“Of course not.” Hea deadpanned.

“I rejected her and she’s off spouting nonsense. How childish.” He rolled his eyes again.

“And she is what? Twenty six? Gawd, fancy calling herself mature.”

Hea agreed as she nodded and ate up her cake. Chansung excused himself as he went to dispose the empty cup and it was then he noticed something awry.

A decorated card and wrapped up gift in the thrash?

Then he bent down to retrieve them; his curiosity killing him.

It’s not really called prying when it’s actually something that nobody wants…

As he opened the card and began reading its contents, his face broke into a huge grin; mirth soared in him and reflected on his sudden seemingly love-sick face.

“Oppa?” Hea called out; her eyebrows rose.


***


One month later…


Soo Yeon exited the café in a huff, claiming her leave as her break time of fifteen minutes as she walked to the back of the café and sat at the curb.

She couldn’t take it any longer, how the annoying new girl flirted flagrantly to Chansung and how he actually responded. She was practically throwing herself at him! What downright utter annoyance, she cursed inwardly.

“Penny for your thoughts?” a familiar voice rang in Soo yeon’s ears.

She looked up and shock welled in her.

“What, do I look very scary to you?” Chansung joked as he sat next to her.

“Uh, nope.” She answered awkwardly.

“I don’t know if you noticed, but this watch, is it nice?” he beamed at her as he flashed the watch on his wrist.

It was a multi-coloured cartoonized watch, and it looked just like the one she wanted to give him… Could it be...?

Nah. She threw it away.

Still, she responded, “Yes it’s nice. Where did you get it from?”

At this, he replied with a smirk, “Oh, it was a gift.”

“Ah.”

Silence invaded them.

“You’re really quiet and formal with me. Why’s that? I’m the younger one you know?” he added cheekily.

Soo yeon couldn’t help but smile back as she turned to face him. “Yup, that’s right.”

“Noona,” he gave her a lop-sided grin.

To which, Soo yeon grimaced immediately as her face crumpled into disgust. “Please don’t call me noona. I hate it.” She explained as she folded her arms and pouted unknowingly.

Chansung inched slightly closer towards her as he laughed, “You’re cute.” He declared.

Soo yeon blushed and felt her heart fluttering in excitement. “So, what should I call you then?” Chansung asked.

“Just call me Soo yeon,” she looked at him with jubilation and there was a twinkle in her eyes when she gazed at him.

“Alright then,” The jet-black haired boy stood up abruptly as he adjusted his geek spectacles. “Wait here for me for a moment. Just stay here.” He said and his voice reflected a sudden surge of enthusiasm.

Perplexed at what might be going on, Soo yeon just keep silent and did what she was told.

Chansung reappeared with a bouquet of roses and a scrapbook in the other hand. He approached her and she stood up; shocked reflected upon her face as she had her jaws hanging wide open.

"Oh my gosh," she gushed.

"Here," he handed over the bouquet, "Will you go on a date with me Im Soo yeon?"

"I... I..." She was speechless. It was then it dawned upon her, that it was White Day. Never once did she thought that she would receive any gift, especially from Hwang Chansung!

"Yes!" She exclaimed, before a thought suddenly struck her.

Chansung then broke into an impish grin and he added, "So I'll see you at seven later?"

***

She'd never known how much she had impacted his life. After she had finished reading the first one third of the scrapbook, which was actually a photo diary whereby Chansung wrote everyday; every entry clipped with a photo; a clean food wrapper; some receipts, he pasted anything and everything he could find in the diary. It turned out that he had been crushing on her for one year, and he was determined to pass this book to her the very next year on white day, regardless of her feelings towards him. Discovering the abandoned gift and confession card affirmed him that it was the perfect decision to surprise Soo yeon with the gift on white day.

"I hope you enjoyed yourself tonight... [i]Soo yeon[/i]." Chansung said, the name felt fine on his lips without forced honorifics dropped.

Chan sung parked the car and turned to face Soo yeon. His eyes were shining under the moonlight and a smile lingered on his flawless face.

One way or another, she knew what was coming next as her heart started thumping badly; slamming against her ribs as she caught him staring at her lips momentarily.

"Yes I did, thanks for the dinner," she flashed a vivacious smile. She too was distracted by his lips that looked so delicious she wondered if it'd tasted as good as it seemed.

Seemingly reading her thoughts, Chansung took the initiative as he leaned in closer, Soo yeon feeling exhilaration and taut blended together with every inch he took.

"You're so beautiful." he commented before pressing his lips against hers gently, the moment so innocent-like and angelic. Soo yeon felt as if she was bursting with immense passion as the kiss became deeper and as she felt their tongues entwined.
            ***
"Only noona I've ever loved." Soo yeon whispered to herself in her room as she read out the caption on a polaroid picture taken some time back.

She let the words sink in as she studied the imprints of his writing and let a smile break on her face as she carried on reading the photo diary.