I've Kept My Eye On You

Midnight Illusions Collection of Short Stories

 

Story for Melissa
Written by SHINeeDreams

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

 

SQUEAK! For the very first time, the sound of the swings were just not music to my ears. I enjoyed going to the park: listening to the children laugh, the swings squeaking when I tried to swing as high as I could; I just loved being there in general because it brought joy to anyone who was there. But today was just wasn't one of those days...

 

I felt betrayed. My parents both were having affairs and because for that reason, there were so many conflicts between them. That was why I decided to run away from home, never wanting to go back or even wanting to see their faces again. I got rid of my cellphone and wanted to erase all the memories I had of my family, so I could start my life over again. At the age of 17, it was hard since I had little money with me, and I wasn't capable of taking care of myself because I decided to quit going to school. I knew I would eventually miss my house, but I didn't want to ever see my parents again so I was going to try my best to pull through.

 

It had been about 24 hours since I've been wandering around the streets alone, so I started to become really hungry and exhausted. I only had about 5000 won with me, and I was in the search for something good to satisfy my hunger for a while.

 

During the search, I encountered a young male who I met through one of my dad's work meetings a long while back. He seemed to have remembered my face because he didn't hesitate to approach me the moment we made eye contact.

 

"Hi! What are you doing out here alone with a huge duffel?"

 

"I ran away from home..."

 

He seemed to have been shocked by my answer, but after my explanation of what happened, he offered to buy me food and provide me with shelter. He seemed pretty nice, but I felt weird getting help from a person I've only met once before; I didn't even know his name. But because I knew I wouldn't able to find anywhere to go, I decided to give in. I mean, he was the first to offer, and how much harm could it be?

 

We arrived at his house after we got some food, and I was in awe. His house was not as big as my house, but for a person who lived alone, it was gigantic. When I stepped inside, I saw how neat it was and it amazed me. But there was one thing I couldn't quite understand. Why was he trying to help someone like me when we didn't even know each other? A good-for-nothing girl like me didn't deserve such generosity.

 

"Why are you so willing to help me out? I have no family now, and I have no money to pay for all this... And I don't even know your name."

 

"My name's Kan, and I don't want your money. We sort of know each other since we've met before and...anyway, just think of me as a fellow citizen trying to help a friend out in need. Since I told you my name, it's your turn!" He smiled as me, and I somehow had the feeling that I was able to trust him.

 

"The name's Melissa..."

 

Through this, we ended up becoming fast friends. It felt strange at first, but it all got better. Strangely, I liked being around Kan.

-----------------------------------

 

Some time passed since I've been living at Kan's home, and I felt bad for not being able to give back to him. I thought about what I could do, and eventually decided that It was time for me to get a job; I had nothing to do at home anyway, so might as well. This could give me the chance to help pay for bills and such also.

 

I had no success of finding a job until Kan one day came up to me telling me about a wonderful opportunity. The entertainment company he had been working for was in need of a secretary, and of course I didn't want to lose this chance, so I gladly accepted the offer.

 

It was great! It was a pretty well-paid job, I enjoyed every moment of it, and the best part of it all was the fact that I was able to see Kan almost 24 hours a day.

 

After making enough money, I was able to pay back Kan for almost everything he's been giving me all this time; I was even able to help pay for the house. Kan had helped me pull through these years we've been living together at his home, and it was no problem for me to spend my money for him. I told him that I would try to find my own place, but he insisted I stay. I was glad he wanted me to stay around; I still owed him for all the things he's helped me with.

 

Thanks to the help of Kan, I eventually ended up building confidence, forgetting about tragic, and I even made friends for the first time in so long. And of course Kan and I ended up becoming the best of friends. I mean, We live with each other and see each other everyday for crying out loud.

 

Over time, I started getting used to the fact that I had someone to depend on, and that person was Kan. I eventually ended up falling head over heels for him; whenever he would smile at me, I would feel myself melt away and stare at him until someone would bring me back to reality. But I had my doubts; if he were to not have the same feelings toward me as I did to him, it could affect our friendship. And I knew for sure that I didn't want my little crush on him to ruin this bond that we have had together. Because of these doubts rolling through my head, I decided to keep it to myself. But this act of pretending that nothing was wrong didn't last too long though...

 

One night, one of our co-workers decided to have a not-so-little party at her house. When Kan and I arrived, I saw that there were so many people that it seemed like we were not going to be able to leave until everyone else leaves. I stayed close by Kan the whole time until a few of my friends at work dragged me away to get some drinks. Alcohol was one of my weaknesses for I wasn't able to stay awake only after a few drinks, but I didn't want to  be the party pooper so I gave in and drank some cocktails. For the first time, I didn't feel tipsy, so I tried to enjoy the party as much as I was able to handle it. Well, that's until I witnessed some girl trying to get close to Kan. I got so upset that I got myself a few more cocktails until I eventually fell asleep.

 

The next thing I knew, it was bright, and I was in my bed...WITH KAN ON THE FLOOR OF MY ROOM!

 

I screamed, which made me wake up Kan from his sleep.

 

"What's wrong?"

 

"W...what are you doing in my room?!"

 

"You don't remember anything from last night, do you?"

 

It turns out I totally embarrassed myself in front of Kan during the ride home from the party last night by confessing my feelings toward him in my sleep. And after arriving home, I urged him to stay with me, which is why he was left sleeping on the floor. I started to blush, and it was very obvious on my face since my face turned bright red very easily.

 

I got myself washed up after that awkward moment to help clear my thoughts and was on my way to the kitchen to grab a glass of water when Kan came out of nowhere scaring me half to death. He was singing a song in front of me, a very familiar one too. It was "Will you be my girlfriend?" by DBSK.

 

"Melissa, I have a confession to make. I've been keeping this in for quite some time but I think I can tell you now. I've been keeping my eye on you these past few years, and I think I've developed feelings for you... Will you be my girlfriend?"

 

And without hesitation, I gave him a quick "YES!" along with the hug I've always been wanting to give him ever since I started getting feelings for him.

 

We ended up cuddling on the couch trying to process what had just happened. Kan seemed like he was a bit uncomfortable about something so I looked him straight in the eyes to try to figure out something...anything.

 

After some time, he eventually said, "I have to get something out of my chest now that it's time. I actually was sent to watch over you."

 

"What are you saying?"

 

"Your dad actually sent me to keep my eye on you a few years ago, so you wouldn't get hurt. That's the reason we met on the streets that time you left home."

 

"So you were literally keeping you eye on me..." I was really disappointed.

 

"I was going to tell you earlier, but I wasn't sure how you were going to take it. I didn't want you to leave me...but now that we're official, I thought it would be okay. And it doesn't change the fact that I really like you! I like you a lot, I really do!"

 

I couldn't speak for a while, but I realized that I couldn't afford to lose him since he's all I had. I didn't want another loved one to leave my side; I didn't want to have to run away again and get hurt.

 

"Let's not talk about this anymore. I would be mad at you for lying to me, but you're too cute to be yelled at. Besides, I think you did a good job in keeping your eye on me; I'm not hurt, right? But as a punishment, you're going to have to go through a whole week of cleaning the house with no help from me. No complaints!"

We laughed it off and stayed cuddled on the couch for a while.

 

It turns out my dad was living in Japan with his now wife while there was no contact from my mom whatsoever, so nobody knew where she was. I kind of missed my dad since I haven't seen him for many years, but it was okay as long as Kan was there with me by my side. And when I got a chance to talk to my dad through Kan, he promised me that he would come a visit me whenever he had the chance to; I had nothing to worry about.

 

Kan and I later moved to another house due to Kan's promotion. This was going to be the beginning of our happiness together, and nothing was going to interfere.

 

I was glad to have found Kan, no, I was glad that he found me. Like he said, he's been keeping his eye on me. But I believe it's my turn to do that same exact thing for him...