C.24

Age Of Youth,
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

23.

“I haven’t seen you in a while.”

The young man’s pout made the woman chuckle in response.

“I’ve been busy with work.” And other things…

Baekhyun nodded his head.

Emma hadn’t told him about her relationship with Kai (he wasn’t even aware of the fact that she worked for him). She was afraid of his reaction, after all he had made it quite clear that he disliked the guy and she didn’t know how to tell him. How would you tell your close friend that you were dating the guy they supposedly hated, the guy they insisted that you’d stay away from? His reaction wouldn’t be at all pleasant (that much was clear) but he had to know, she couldn’t keep him in the dark for much long and she would like it if he and Kai could get along (even if it was for her sake). It’s better for him to find out from her than from anyone else, that would make the revelation less shocking, won’t it? She needed to tell him sooner or later, right? Eventually he had to know. A part of her wasn’t ready to face the consequences this revelation would bring. So she chose to keep quiet for now and tell him later. Not now. Not today. But maybe the next? Maybe (probably not). Eventually she’ll tell him. Of course she will. Just not now. Definitely not.

“Are you hungry?”

His words made her snap out of her thoughts.

Before she could muster a reply, her stomach growled in answer to his question, making her friend shake his head in amusement. She would always be hungry at this time of the day.

“Like clockwork huh?”

Emma frowned and hit his arm playfully, “Shut up!”

Baekhyun raised his hands up in mock defense, “No need to get all violent.”

The girl rolled her eyes, biting back a smile.

“Let’s go get lunch then, my treat.”

Emma beamed in response. Who’d say no to free food?

The man snorted before ruffling her hair in an affectionate manner.

He then casually placed his arm over her shoulder as they walked towards his car.

Two girls sat side by side on the couch, watching a rerun of the movie “Love Actually”, a bowl of caramel popcorn was placed between them and a thick woolen blanket was thrown over their bodies for warmth. The brunette sighed in appreciation when the Prime Minister came to sight.

“Hugh Grant is such a babe.”

Her friend giggled in response, “He’s a bit old now, don’t you think?”

Rei shook her head with a smile, “Yeah he is but he still looks fine as hell in this movie.”

Emma nodded her head, “Amen to that!”

And they both laughed.

Ever since that whole misunderstanding with Kai was cleared up, Emma and Rei had gotten considerably closer to one another. Rei had always wanted a “girl” friend with whom she can easily confide in (Kai was great and all but some things are best talked about with a girl). Talk about (yes as silly as it sounds) boys with. Gush over how attractive some male actors were. Go shopping and hang out with. And just simply be there for each other.

Emma was like the little sister Rei never had and was overly-protective of her. Her unflattering past actions (decisions) were no secret to her as well. And she had accepted Rei with open arms, with all of her flaws and short-comings.

It was nice having another person with whom you can easily open up to, a person who won’t judge you and would stick by your side no matter what.

Emma was that person for Rei.

And Rei was that person for Emma.

They weren’t related by blood, but they were akin to sisters.

Rei found herself rooting for Kai and Emma’s relationship, knowing quite well that the said girl had the ability to make her best-friend smile just by being beside him. She had never seen him as happy as he was whenever Emma was around and for that she was utterly grateful. But lately Emma had been more and more distracted, something was surely bothering her and Rei hated seeing the girl in that troubled state of hers.

Pausing the movie, the brunette turned to face her new found best-friend.

“You’ve been quiet lately, mind telling me what’s been bothering you?”

Emma shrugged with a smile, “I just have a lot on my mind lately.”

Rei noticed how her smile didn’t quite reach her eyes, “Do share, it’s not healthy to keep everything bottled up you know.”

The said woman sighed, “Have you ever been afraid of telling someone something you know would make them look differently at you?”

The blue eyed girl bit her lip (a nervous habit of hers)

“I have.”

The brunette recalled her past actions (Her past self). Noting the girl’s distant expression, Emma frowned at her own stupidity.

“I didn’t mean to-”

Rei shook her head, a soft smile playing on her lips, “I have nothing to be ashamed of. My past is a part of me and I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Her words rang through Emma’s head.

“We are all products of our past but we don’t have to be prisoners of it.”

We don’t.

Emma gulped, tears blurring her vision, “I…I’m not as innocent as you think,” she blinked her tears away as she continued, “At one point I was too caught up in debt that I…”

Why couldn’t she say it? Why was it so hard to admit it?

“That I…”

Sold myself,

Sold my body,

For money, (for money)

I became a e,

A e,

To earn money,

I took the easy way out,

I whored myself for money,

For money.

How can she admit that, when she, herself, is ashamed of who she was back then, of what she did.

“I understand.”

Rei took Emma’s hand in hers, “And Kai will as well.”

Will he?

She squeezed it in reassurance.

“How can you be so sure?”

Rei had a knowing smile on her face.

“Because the past is the past, it shouldn’t matter anymore. What matters is now, the present, the current you.”

Emma shook her head, fear overtaking her senses.

“He’ll hate me.”

He’ll be disgusted by me.

Rei rolled her eyes at the silly thought, “He won’t. He really likes you, you know.”

Will he still like me after everything?

Will he?

How can he? When I don’t even like me.

“Listen, it’s okay to make mistakes. It’s okay to do something you wish you’d never done because if you don’t do those things you never grow.”

You never grow.

“And your mistakes don’t define you. You are not your mistakes. You are not your struggles. You’re not.”

You’re not.

Rei playfully nudged Emma, making her smile in return, “You accepted Kai despite his flaws, what makes you think he won’t do the same?”

Seeing the doubt in her blue orbs, Rei added, “He will. Have more faith in him, hmm?”

Emma nodded her head with a chuckle.

The brunette beamed her way, before pressing the “play” button on the remote control, “Now let’s continue our movie night.”

With a smile, the girls snuggled into the cozy bla

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter