C.18

Age Of Youth,
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

18.

A man and a woman sat side by side on a bench overlooking the Han-River, enjoying the freshness of the night air and admiring the way the city lights reflected on the river’s transparent surface, making it sparkle ever so brightly.

A comfortable silence weaved itself between the couple. One that was interrupted by the man’s sudden question, a question that’s been on his mind for a while.

“Why would someone leave England to live here?”

Emma pouted, “What’s wrong with living here?”

Kai snorted and raised an eyebrow as if to say “Really?”

The young girl bit her lip, contemplating whether to tell him or not. (She chose the latter)

“I lost my parents a few years ago,” her words came out as a soft whisper, tugging at the man’s heartstrings, “I…I just couldn’t live in a place that reminded me so much of them.”

She felt a weight come off her shoulders.

Who knew telling someone her story would make her feel at ease? Or maybe she felt that way because it was Kai she was telling it to and not someone else.

The man wanted nothing more than to pull her in his embrace but refrained from doing so. His gaze softened at the sight of the sadness that lurked behind her blue orbs.

“Why South Korea then?”

The ghost of a smile played on her lips, “I’ve always wanted to visit my mother’s home country.”

Kai nodded his head. It felt nice knowing more about her but that only made him want to protect her even more.

“What about you? How are your parents like?”

The man gulped, finding her question rather difficult but tried to answer it none the less.

“My father’s a great man despite the fact that he has bad taste in women.”

He wrinkled his nose in disgust as his thoughts drifted to his father’s numerous wives. The sound of Emma’s laugh made him smile.

“And your mom?”

A grim, somber look overtook his features, “She left.”

He didn’t know what compelled him to tell her but he did. (And it felt rather nice, telling her that is)

“She left me and my dad when I was six. She left us to start a new life with someone else.”

Emma took his hand in hers, making him look at her in surprise.

“At least you still have your father.”

Her touch and smile made him all warm on the inside. She had lost everything but still managed to smile and look forward to another day. Her strength baffled him. It made him admire her even more and like her a bit more than he should have. She was right, he still had his father, a man who gave him all the care he needed when growing up and that was something he should be eternally grateful for.

“I’d do anything to have my parents back.”

Kai gently squeezed her hand.

He badly wanted to tell her that he was here.

Here for her.

But he couldn’t. He just couldn’t.

Getting attached was not part of the plan. It wasn’t. (It never was.)

But as he tenderly gazed at her side profile, he figured that he already did.

And that was a problem. A big one in fact.

The brunette tilted her head to the side, I swear I’ve seen this girl before. Her hazel orbs widened as recognition dawned on her face. With a smile she approached the said girl.

“Hey, is Kai around?”

Emma looked up from her laptop with furrowed eyebrows. As far as she knew classes were over for the day, maybe she’s here to enroll in future classes. But why is she personally asking for Kai? How does she even know him? Wait, why am I getting worked up over something so trivial? What’s wrong with me?

“Are you here for a lesson?”

She studied the woman’s flawless features, feeling self-conscious of her own haggard appearance. Her large hoodie and torn jeans seemed bland in comparison with the lady’s skin-tight navy-blue dress. Emma’s hair was tied up in a messy bun, her eye-bags slightly apparent (thanks to yesterday’s late night study session) while the latter’s hair was curled to perfection. Emma inwardly pouted, I must look like a sack of potato next to her.

Rei’s voice made the girl snap out of her thoughts, “No, I’m just here to see him.”

The blue-eyed girl nodded her head, “You’ll find him in the practice room.”

She didn’t mean for her tone to be as harsh, what’s wrong with you Emma? You barely know the woman.

The brunette had an amused expression on her face, it was apparent that the girl had some feelings for her best-friend (whether she knew of their existence or not is another story).

“Thank you. I’m Rei by the way.”

Rei extended her hand for Emma to shake, which she did with a smile on her face.

“I’m Emma.”

That’s right be friendly, the woman hasn’t wronged you in any way.

A sigh escaped her lips as Rei’s figure disappeared inside the room.

Why am I like this? I must be going crazy.

A part of her knew the answer as clear as day, it’s because I like him.

I like him.

I like Kai.

“I thought you told me you didn’t know her.”

Kai sighed, wiping the sweat off of his forehead with a towel, “It’s a long story.”

Rei slowly nodded her head, making the man raise an eyebrow in response, a hint of surprise swirled in his dark orbs at her rather calm reaction. Noting his confused expression, a smirk made its way onto her face, “Don’t worry, I’ll get it out of you later.”

A chuckle escaped his lips at her words, same old Rei.

“So I’m guessing she has something to do with your rather cheerful mood?”

Kai snorted, “Since when was I not cheerful?”

The girl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter