moving on

fated

second part of the double update

don't forget to read the chapter before this

this is the last chapter of fated

finish this up

then go read genie

he story isn't over



5 years later

 

    There was a steady stream of customers coming in and out of the record store.

    Ren pretty much single handedly ran the place. Heechul would say no to all of his suggestions, Ren would do them anyway and the shop would benefit.

    To add to the shop's income, Ren added a section in the corner for musical instruments, repairs and books for music.

    Heechul would complain daily to Ren as customers came in and out, asking him questions that he couldn't answer.

 

    “Ren! What do they want from me? Why can't they leave me alone? I mean, what do they want from me?” He whined, kicking his feet before spinning in his office chair.

    “They want to buy records, Hyung.”

    “Yeah, but why me? Why do they come to me?”

    “We're the only people who have them. When I go, you're gonna need to find someone else who can run the shop.”

    “But you're never gonna go. You love me too much.” Heechul clung to Ren's arm. Ren sighed and looked away with a smirk.

    The annoying clanging noise of the door opening alerted them to a customer.

    “Welcome to Original Spin. How may I help- Jeonghan. Hi.” Ren looked uncomfortable.

Heechul looked between the two men.

    “Is this your uncle?” He walked up to Jeonghan, showing no regard for personal space. “The resemblance is uncanny. I'll watch the shop, you two go have lunch, I'll tell Minseok you went out.”

    “Thanks.” Ren didn't sound very grateful.

 

    They went to a nearby cafe and Ren ordered the same sandwich that Jeonghan did.

    “I didn't even know you worked there.” Jeonghan said sadly, “I still really miss Minki sometimes.” Ren nodded. “You ever straighten things out with with… uh.”

    “Minseok? We're practically married.”

    “You think he'll ever ask?” Ren shrugged. “I could tell him to make an honest man out of ya.” He rolled up his sleeves pretending to be threatening.

    Ren let out a tiny, bitter chuckle and shook his head.

    “I'm fine with how things are.” They both pushed a lock of hair behind their right ears.

    Jeonghan chuckled, “Nobody remembers what really happened at the funeral except for me. In fact they think I just couldn't take it and ran off to sulk for the duration of the funeral.”

    “Seriously? What do they think happened?” He asked.

    “They think I ran away as soon as Minki's body fell out of the casket.” He said.

    “It's weird that their memories changed like that, but I guess it's lucky for me and Min.” Jeonghan nodded, “What have you been up to?” He picked up Jeonghan's left hand and poked at the ring on his hand.

    “I got married about eight years back. Moved out of mom and auntie’s house… before I got married, obviously.”

    “Obviously.”

    “I actually got a job around then too. Pretty decent pay. I manage an office that retrieves stolen items for museums and insurance companies.”

    “Oh! Do you know Wonsik?”

    “Doesn't sound familiar.” He shrugged.

    “Uh… blood red hair about this long shaved on the sides. He's pretty much asleep whenever I see him, but he's almost always at work and Hakyeon always jokes that he's an office widow.”

    “Hakyeon… oh. Ravi!” He always gets phone calls from his wife, Hakyeon.

    Ren had to cover his face with one hand and hang onto the table with the other so he wouldn't fall out of his chair.

    “Please tell me he actually calls Hakyeon his wife.”

    “Why?” Jeonghan drawled.

    “That would be the funniest .”

    “We just kinda assumed-”

    “He would have been so pissed.” He continued laughing.

    “Just the way he cooed over the phone… we all thought-"

    “They've always been like that.” He grinned.

    “That's kinda cute.” Jeonghan smiled. He frowned when he got a text. “I gotta head back to work.” Ren grabbed Jeonghan's phone and texted himself with it.

    “There. Now I don't feel like such an .” He said, handing the phone back.

    “Nah, you're still an .” Jeonghan teased. He put money on the table and Ren put it back in Jeonghan's pocket when he went to hug him goodbye.

    He let the man leave before paying the bill.

 

 

    That night when he got home Jeonghan called him.

    You cheeky . I wanted to pay for lunch.”

    “Too bad, you can pay next time.” He kissed Minseok on the cheek in greeting as he continued to talk.

    What are you doing for dinner on Saturday?

    “No idea,” He turned to Minseok, “Do we have plans for tomorrow?”

    “Nope.”

    You're coming over to eat.” His cousin insisted.

    “Apparently we're going to eat dinner at Jeonghan's house.”

    “Oh. Ok.” Minseok didn't know what else to say.

 

---

    The following Saturday, Minseok and Ren were knocking at Jeonghan's door. Minseok had put on a nice sweater and a pair of slacks. His hair was brushed and he had a gift bag in his hand.

    Ren, on the other hand, was wearing a pair of holey jeans and a t-shirt. The only evidence that he was trying to look nice was the fact that he braided his waist length hair. He had taken a detour to buy a few bottles of soju on the way.

    The door opened and Jeonghan smiled at the two men at his doorstep.

    “Hey guys! Hyojin stepped out for a minute, but she'll be back.”

    “I brought this for you guys.” Minseok said, handing the gift bag to Jeonghan.

    He looked at the bottle of wine and smiled.

    “This is Hyojin’s favourite! She'll be so happy.”

    “I'll put it in the fridge.” Ren offered, everyone knew he wanted to sneak a taste of dinner before everyone else. He followed his nose to the kitchen and Minseok sat on the couch when Jeonghan offered it.

    The front door opened and Jeonghan's wife came in with a few more bags of groceries. Jeonghan and Minseok rushed to help her.

    “Hi.” She smiled nervously. His wife was pixie like in every way.

    “This is Minseok, darling. Minseok, this is Hyojin.”

    “Pleasure to make your acquaintance.” Minseok grinned. It was lopsided and cute. Jeonghan could see what Ren saw in him.

    “Baby, all they had was juice in the- well hello.” Ren raised an eyebrow at Hyojin.

    He looked at Jeonghan with a thumbs up, mouthing the words ‘very nice’ before taking the grocery bag from Minseok's hands. “If you told me your wife was so hot, I'd have come over way sooner.” He walked back into the kitchen.

    “Jeonghan?” She followed Ren into the kitchen, knowing her husband would follow her too.

    “Yes, my buttercup?”

    “Answer me honestly, and I'm trying to be VERY calm about this.” Jeonghan frowned. “Did you have a son and not tell me?” Ren started cackling, Minseok stared at him in shock, Jeonghan looked genuinely hurt.

    “He's only a month younger than me. Do I really look old enough to be Ren's father?” He moaned.

    “I'm so flattered, Hyojin. It's been so long since such a beautiful creature such as yourself paid a compliment to me.” Ren purred.

    “Ren, can you not attempt to steal your cousin's wife in the presence of your husband? I'm making an attempt not to be insulted.” Minseok frowned.
    “We're not technically married.” Ren sniffed indignantly and rolled his eyes at Minseok.
    “Technically we are.” He shot back.
    “Why do you two always fight whenever I see you?” Jeonghan bemoaned.

    Minseok put the bag of groceries on the kitchen table before grabbing Ren by the front of his shirt. “Fine, you argumentative motherer, let's get married then.”

    “R-really?” He asked timorously.

    “Yeah.” Minseok said softly as he loosened his grip on the front of his shirt. "For real."

    Ren huffed a tiny laugh, tickling Minseok's cheek before kissing it.

    “Took you long enough.”

 
 

A few weeks later

    Luhan appeared in the apartment at some ungodly hour.

    “Ok guys! House meeting!” He shouted, opening the doors to both bedrooms loudly. “Put some pants on, KimWonsik.”

    Everyone slogged into the living room in various states of undress. Wonsik and Minseok were in boxers. Hakyeon had sleep shorts on, Ren was only wearing a blanket.

    “So your neighbors have started noticing that you're not aging.” He looked at Hakyeon and Wonsik, “None of you are aging.”

    “Nothing we can do about that.” Wonsik grumbled.

    “You guys are moving. Effective immediately.” Luhan snapped his fingers and they were suddenly in an unfamiliar house.

    “Where are we?” Minseok was suddenly awake.

    “Your new house. Next town over. Rent free. This house is actually yours. Take care of it.”

    “Why are you giving it to us? There's another reason you've moved us here.” Distrusting Ren was very distrusting.

    “There's someone I need you to watch for me.” They all raised an eyebrow, “He lives in the biggest house at the end of the cul de sac.”

    “Why?” Hakyeon drawled.

    “He's a lucky guy. Like... abnormally lucky. He should be dead five times over, but he just keeps walking away from impossible accidents. It's not right.”

    “Uh huh.” Minseok grunted.

    “Go back to bed. He's not going anywhere til tomorrow anyway.”

    “Night…” They all said as Luhan puffed away.

    They turned and went into the rooms that were closest to them and closed the doors. The doors immediately opened and they shuffled to the opposite rooms.