standing on his own two feet

fated

sorry this is late

i was reminded what day it was. 

school starts tomorrow... whee

also this is really short. double update for you

 



    Minseok rolled over and reached for Ren. His spot was empty. It was cold. He had been gone for some time.

    He rolled over and hit Sehun on the shoulder. He tapped him over and over.

    “Hn" He grunted and tried to roll away before falling off of the bed. “The ?” He whined.

“Where's Ren?”

    “Maybe he's somewhere else” He grumbled unhelpfully.

    “Thanks, genius. Quite the astute observation.”

    Minseok went to the kitchen and Hakyeon was sitting on Wonsik's lap.

    “Are you ok? You look upset.” Hakyeon asked.

    “Have you seen Ren? He's not anywhere else in the house.” He said in a small voice.

    “No, have you seen him?” Hakyeon asked Wonsik.

    “Nope.” He sipped his coffee.

    “Where would he be?”

Across town

    The door to the coffee shop tinkled as Ren walked in. Taekwoon's eyes widened momentarily. He recognised that Ren wasn't normal.

    “What can I get for you- uh.”

    “Hi. My name is Ren. I was wondering if you guys were hiring?”

    “Um. The owner isn't here, but if you leave your resume I can give it to him.” He said softly, seeing the crestfallen look on Ren's face.

    “I don't have one I can use-” He was interrupted by Yixing opening the door and smiling at Taekwoon. Ren moved out of the way.

    “Oh. Hey Ren. Where's Minseok?”

    “I left him at home.” He said, not entirely remembering where he recognised Yixing from, “I was gonna find a job. Try to help out a bit, y’know?”

    “How about I get you something to drink?” Yixing asked.

    “Uh. You don't need to. I'll get something after I find a job.”

    “I'm sure the record store down the street will hire you, but for now let's get you a drink.” Ren nodded and Yixing bought him an iced mocha.

    “He's cute isn't he?” Yixing asked.

    “Who?” Ren asked.

    “Taekwoon. Don't you think?”

    “I'm not attracted to guys.” He said resting his chin on his hand.

    “Wow. Minseok is gonna be disappointed.” He said in mild surprise.

    “What's the string attached to?” Taekwoon asked, putting their drinks on the table and yelping when Yixing pulled him into his lap.

    “Minseok.” He blushed to the tips of his hair.

    “I thought you didn't like guys.” Yixing looked confused.

    “He's… different.” Ren said into his cup, wishing his hair didn't blush with him.

    “How long has that been there?” Yixing asked.

    “A few days.”

    “You sure fell fast.”

    “What.” It wasn't really a question.

    “That string only shows up for a few reasons. And since I'm fairly certain you weren't on the verge of death in the last few days, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your lives are linked because you're falling in love.”

    His eyebrows furrowed and his mouth opened and closed like a fish for a moment until the bell over the door rang and Taekwoon got up to take their order.

    “So… the record store down the street? “Ren asked.

    “Yep.  Good luck” He replied, watching Ren trip over his own feet trying to get out of the cafe.

    He quickly made his way to the record store a block away.  The door made a terribly loud clanging noise as he opened it and three boxes fell down into Ren's path causing a dust cloud to fly through the air.

    “Hello?” Ren called out.

    “Hello?” Came the reply.

    “Is someone there?”

    “Is someone there?” Came the reply.

    “I was told to ask if you were hiring.” Ren said loudly.

    “Not like people even come in here.” A man with neatly cut black hair said.

    “Yixing sent me.”

    “Oh.” The man replied. “I'm Heechul. The pay is a pittance, do you have time to start today?”

    “I can't stay long. I didn't tell anyone where I was going.”

    Heechul dug in his pocket and threw a pair of keys at Ren.

    “Here's your keys, be here tomorrow, bright and noonish.”

    “Uh. That's it?”

    “Yeah. See you tomorrow. Lock up behind yourself.” He shooed Ren out the door.

    Ren locked up and walked home twirling the keys around his finger with a smile.

    Ren walked into the apartment, “Minseok?” He called out.

    He looked through the apartment and see nobody was in. He must have dozed off on the couch because he shot up when someone opened the door fast enough to slam against the wall.

    Minseok was looking at Ren with huge, glassy eyes.

    “It's you.” His breath hitched.

    Ren had his arms wrapped around Minseok before he could say anything.

    “It's ok, baby. I'm here.” He kissed the side of the smaller man's head.

    “Did you hear what he called Min?” Sehun asked from the door.

    “I did.” Wonsik said.

    “Me too.” Hakyeon added.

    “Where did you go- wait what did you call me?”

    “I got a job. I didn't want to be a freeloader.” He said dodging the question.

    “Why didn't you tell me?”

    “I wanted it to be a surprise.”

    “Where did you get a job?” Minseok didn't want to argue.

    “The record store over by the coffee shop.”

    “That's actually a store? I thought it was a storage room.” Wonsik looked confused.

    “There was a register and the guy inside gave me the keys.” He showed the keys to his friends.