real life getting in the way

fated

 I should sleep

 I need to be up early

 I might reedit this

I can't keep awake long enough today

 

 



Five years later

    Hey, oppa! You have to come to dinner Friday. I have something important to tell you.” Minji’s voice rang out happily.

    “Ok. I'll see you then. Can you tell mom to set an extra place? There's something special I need to share with you guys too.

    “Will do. See you then. Love you, oppa.”

    “Love you back.”

 

    Minseok was surprised by arms wrapping around his waist.

    “What's happening on Friday?” Ren mumbled against the skin behind Minseok's ear.

    “Mmm. Pick out a cute dress, we're going to my parents for dinner.”

    “You sure they won't mind me wearing a dress?”

    “I'm not even sure they won't realise you're not a woman.”

    “Ah.”

 

    Friday came and Minseok knocked at the door to his parents’ house.

    “Hey, Jiji. I’d like to introduce you to someone.”  He pulled Ren in the door. “This is Ren. He's the love of my life.” He pulled the taller man closer with an arm around his waist and kissed him on the cheek.

    “I can't wait to get to know you.” She smiled, dragging him in by the hand. She looked at her brother, “Five bucks says they won't realise Ren’s a boy.

    “There's no betting against a sure thing.” Minseok shrugged.

 

    They walked into the kitchen and Minseok hugged his mother. “But Minseok… I thought you liked boys.” Minseok looked nervously at Ren. The younger man bit his lower lip and tried not to laugh.

    “I'm a man, Mrs. Kim” Ren chuckled.

    “But you're so beautiful.”

    “I think so too.” Minseok smiled.

    Ren's hair turned light pink.

    “Neat trick,” Minji said, picking up a lock of hair and quickly braiding it. It turned lavender momentarily. “Where's Sehun?” She asked.

    “Still doing that Doctors Without Borders internship thing.”

    “Oh, right. Sejun was saying something about that.”

    Before anyone could say anything further, Ren was offering to set the table and wouldn't take no for an answer.

    Again, Minseok's father was also confused about Minseok's new friend.

    “Are you staying the night?” Minseok's mother asked.

    “Yeah we are.” He grinned.

    Minji went to answer the front door and Sejun came in.

    “Just in time for dinner.” He said with a smile. “Did you tell them?” He asked Minji quietly.

    “I was waiting for dinner time.” She kissed him on the cheek.

    “Is that Sehun’s brother?” Ren asked.

    “Yep.”

    “They look nothing alike.” He grinned.

    “You're gonna fit in perfectly.” Minji said to Ren.

 

    Dinner time came and Minji stood up.

    “Sejun and I have something important to tell you.” She smiled at him. “Sejun proposed to me and I said yes.”

    “About time.” Minseok smiled, grabbing his sister's hand and squeezing.

 

    “Hey, I gotta make a phone call. Can you hang out with Minji and Sejun?”

    “Sure. Is there anything I can't tell them?”

    “You can tell them whatever. They saw me most right after I died. It's my parents you're not supposed to tell anything to.”

    Minseok kissed Ren and pushed him toward his sister.

    He went into his room and picked up his phone.

    “It's 6am.” Came the flat reply on the other end.

    “And I have some news for you.”

    “Funny. So do I.”

    “You first.” Minseok said.

    “I figured out what the butterflies are.”

    “Really? That's great!”

    “No, it really isn't. They're telling me who's going to die.”

    “Oh …” Minseok drawled.

    “They're going to send me home. They think I've cracked. Maybe I have.” He sounded so tired and it wasn't because of the horrible hour he had called. Minseok could actually feel it from there.

    “Well … uh. I have some good news.” Minseok tried to send some good feelings over the phone.

    I could use some.” He sounded like he was trying to smile.

    “Our siblings are getting married.”

    “No ? When?”

    “I should probably ask, shouldn't I?” He mumbled.

    “Have Sejun call me about the date. Maybe I can stay till the end of my contract.”

    “Don't push yourself, Hun.”

    “Yeah.”

    “Try to get some sleep. I'll have him call you in a few hours.”

    “Ok, goodnight.”

 

    That night, Minseok and Ren were laying in bed, sweaty, sated and drifting off.

    “What's bothering you?” Ren asked.

    “I… I'm worried about Sehun. Something isn't- I'm not sure he's cut out for all of this death stuff.” He rolled to his back.

    “Things will work out. They're gonna have to.” He replied, rolling Minseok so the older man would be the little spoon.

 

    The day of the wedding came and Sehun stood at the front as his brother's best man. He had to walk down the aisle with Minji’s maid of honour.

    His breath stopped for a moment when he saw Minseok and Ren come down.

    Minji had decided that she liked the man so much that he would be one of her bridesmaids.

    Minseok kissed Ren on the cheek before walking to Sejun's side. He squeezed Sehun's hand and then his sister walked down the aisle. It was Sehun's turn to offer support.

    The ceremony was beautiful and Sehun had to stifle a laugh when the officiant asked if anyone should object to this union and the entirety of the bride's family turned to look at one woman.

    She, thankfully, remained silent.

    Problems didn't start until Sehun was about to sit at the table next to his brother. He looked at the table with his and Minseok's parents and tripped over his feet to run out of the banquet hall.

    Minseok looked at his sister and brother in law and followed him out.

    “What's wrong?” Minseok found Sehun on a balcony with a white knuckled grip on the railing.

    “My father-” he sobbed, tears starting to fall down his cheeks, “he's covered in butterflies- I don't know what to do.”

    “I- we knew we were going to outlive them. But maybe we should have gone with Luhan sooner …” he put his hand on Sehun's shoulder before pulling him closer for a hug. “I think you should make the best memories you can with your family. It's your brother's special day. Let him at least have that before you start going all weird on the family.”

    “You're right.” Sehun sniffled.

    “Besides, we have speeches to give.” He grinned.

    “Dammit. You're right.” He frowned.

    “Come on.” Minseok grinned, throwing an arm over Sehun's shoulder. He grabbed a handful of napkins and proceeded to wipe the younger man's face off.

    “Trouble at the big table, just thought you'd like to know.” Hakyeon said as they came in. He had been running to find them.

    “.” Minseok said as he saw the large woman who had been the bane of his existence since before he could remember anything talking to Ren with her trademarked disapproving scowl.

    “Hey, baby. How's things over here?” He kissed Ren on the cheek and held his hand.

    “If this is a joke, you're ruining Minji's wedding with it.”

    “If what's a joke? Did you tell her a joke? She doesn't get them.”

    “He's ruining the wedding. A boy in a dress like that. It's probably that reprehensible Hakyeon’s fault.”

    “Stop picking on Minseok and his friends, Aunt Cass. I invited my special, important people and if you can't respect my important people, the door is right there.” Minji pointed.

 

    Though he probably wouldn’t admit it any time soon, over the years, Sehun had started to like Minseok’s snarky boyfriend and if someone was making him upset, they’d make Minseok upset and he couldn’t have that.

    He was about to say something to Minji, but he froze. Minseok watched the expression on Sehun’s face as he watched the butterflies go from his father, following the bigoted old woman out the door.

    Sehun's eyes crinkled into little half moons as he smiled in relief.

    “You ok?” Sejun asked, walking up and wrapping an arm around Minji.

    “Wonderful.” He grinned. The music started and he snatched Minji from Sejun's arms. He spun her around the floor, making her laugh.

    “Did you know he could dance?” Sejun asked Minseok.

    “I had no idea.” He replied.