death is just the beginning

fated

its taken me a couple years to write this. 

i started somewhere around exo's wolf and my writing style has changed, i hope for the better

i hope you guys like it, leave me a comment if you like/ dont like/ are confused by anything

enjoy

 

 



Luhan stepped out of a convenience store with a lollipop hanging out of his mouth and a bag full of candy. He stood at one end of an overpass and took a deep breath of fresh air as he took in the scenery. He watched a tour group float by on a white water rafting tour. He looked at his antiquated pocket watch. It hadn't worked in decades. He just looked at it out of habit. He walked down a trail that led from the overpass to the riverbank.

He sat under a tree, watching the tourists shrieking in joy as they rushed by on the flimsy rubber rafts. As the last group went by, a whooshing noise came from above before a now mangled wreck of a bus landed a few yards away from where Luhan was sitting.

He normally only went out when the deaths involved were violent or sudden. They were usually the people who didn’t realize that they were dead or refused to go willingly. This time, however, he received a compelling text to come.

He walked up to the mangled wreck and looked into the windows. It was silent. Most people had gone. He opened an emergency door when he heard a wet gurgling. He headed down the twisted aisle, past all of the empty bodies and toward the choking noise.

He saw a young man trying to hold his neck and shoulder together. The boy had tears rolling down his cheeks and by all rights he shouldn’t even be alive. Luhan looked at him and like the three brothers said, he felt something in his gut. He was sure it wasn’t because of all the candy.

    “.” Was all he said as he picked up the tall boy and carried him to the road.

He had slung his bag of candy over his arm so he had both hands free to carry the heavily bleeding man.

By the time he had gotten them to the top, there were emergency crews looking over the edge and not seeing them.

    “Excuse me?” Luhan said to the nearest uniformed person. He wasn’t sure which person was supposed to do what. Luhan wasn’t used to moving around in a solid form anymore so he fell to his knees, still clutching the young man and shouted for help. That got their attention.

The emergency crews ran up to them and tried to pry the boy out of Luhan’s arms. “He’ll die if I let go!” Luhan shouted. Luhan managed to explain how the young man was just short of cut in half. When they finally convinced him to let go so they could save him, he looked at his bag of candy and pouted.

He dropped the plastic bag that was now full of blood with a splat and started to cry.

    “Are you ok?” an EMT came up and started checking his vital signs. All of which were nonexistent. The EMT decided the equipment must be faulty.

    “My candy … it’s ruined.” Luhan wailed. They ushered him into the ambulance with the man he just saved and proceeded to ask him questions. Luhan gave no real answers aside from “my poor candy.”

One of the people in the ambulance looked at Luhan and explained to him that the other man wouldn’t make it to the hospital and that it was a miracle he had been able to keep his eyes open this long.

    “Keep your eyes open ok?” he whispered before kissing the injured man on his forehead and the cheek by his lips. The other man nodded slowly. His eyes were glazed and his right lung was still filling with blood, but he kept his gaze locked on Luhan. Just before they got to the hospital, Luhan whispered in his ear that he’d be in the waiting room until he came out. The injured man smiled softly before coughing up some blood, some of it landed on the psychopomp. Luhan wiped it off of his cheek with a disgusted grimace.

As soon as the ambulance stopped, they were wheeling him to the operating room and Luhan the waterworks long enough to look on his phone to find out that the boy’s name was Oh Sehun.

There was a nurse with a clipboard asking him questions as soon as he was told that he couldn’t go any further with Sehun. He answered with what he thought was the appropriate amount of distress in his voice. Then she asked how they were related and his brain froze.

    “He’s my … partner.” Luhan said. He was mostly speaking the truth. He was supposed to recruit the boy and … work with him? He honestly had no idea what to do with him, so his best guess was that they were partners. That had to be right.

    “Have a seat … it’s going to be a while.”

Luhan closed his eyes and it didn’t occur to him how deep a sleeper he was (on the odd occasion he did sleep) until he opened his eyes and the first thing he saw was black plastic. He ped the bag he was in and saw cold metal as he looked around to each of his sides. “Not again” he groaned as he scooted down as far as he could and started kicking at the door at his feet.

The door opened quickly and the shelf he was laying on was pulled out. Luhan squinted at the bright light and sat up, pulling his body bag the rest of the way off. “Where are my clothes?” he asked the shocked cleaning lady who shrugged before crossing herself and running out.

One of the morticians came in a few moments later with a surprised look on his face. “Clothes” Luhan demanded. “I need to see how OhSehun is.”

A short while later, Luhan was tightening the laces on his boots and walking toward the reception desk.

    “Where is OhSehun?” he asked nobody in particular as he looked at the whiteboard with patients names on it. Before the nurse could answer, he was headed to Sehun’s room.

He sat in a chair next to Sehun’s bed, holding his hand and marveling at the sheer number of tubes and wires coming off of him.

    “His heart stopped three times.” A doctor said behind him. He came in to check on the sleeping man. “I don’t think he’ll wake up for a very long time.” The doctor looked at the chart, “If he ever wakes up.”

    “He will,” Luhan said, “Sooner than you think.”

Luhan kissed Sehun’s knuckles and the younger man’s eyelids fluttered a few times before his eyes opened and he looked at Luhan with a confused expression.

    “Hi,” Luhan whispered with a soft smile.

    “How is this even possible?” The doctor asked.

Sehun tried to ask for some water, he managed to make out the first syllable before coughing flecks of coagulated blood.

    “The tube in your side is out the liquid in your lungs, I wouldn’t try to talk for a while.” The doctor said.

Luhan knew what he wanted though and poured him a glass of water, and putting a bendy straw to his lips.

    “He has a perforated stomach, He shouldn't drink and I don’t think he has the strength or lung capacity to drink water like …” he was stopped in the middle of his sentence when he watched Sehun’s Adam’s apple bobbing up and down as he swallowed the clear liquid.

    “He’s stronger than he looks,” Luhan said matter of factly. Sehun gave him a strange look but decided not to ask anything until the doctor had left.

    “Slowly!” Luhan said before Sehun started sputtering and coughing. He had already been sitting up so Luhan leaned him forward and patted his back softly until his coughing stopped.

The doctor was going to say something about that being an incorrect way of dealing with a choking person who just got out of surgery, but decided to just leave the room instead.

     “Who are you?” Sehun whispered once he was sure the doctor had left and the other two patients in the recovery room weren’t listening.

    “I suppose you have the right to know since I’ve pretty much taken you under my wing and you’re my new … partner I suppose.

    “Partner?”

Luhan collected his thoughts for a moment. “You’re supposed to be dead.” Sehun kept quiet to let him finish. “You were cut nearly in half. You were supposed to be at the bottom of that ravine, currently wedged between the teeth of some wild animal.”

    “That’s not funny.”

    “Do I look like I’m joking?” Luhan frowned. “You’re only alive because the fates essentially told me I had to keep you in that state.”

    “You’re not making any sense.”

    “I’m death. I am the end of all things.” Sehun raised an eyebrow at him, “I’m the grim ing reaper and you’re my charge … I’m supposed to find one other, but I don’t know when or where I’m going to find him. Pretty sure we have pretty much the rest of eternity to find that out.”

    “Are you saying I’m immortal? Because if I am, being in this kind of pain is totally not how I want to spend forever.”

    “You’re not immortal at the moment, but this was the only way I could figure out how to contain your soul without losing it until I figure out how you become more …” he made some amusing hand gestures while trying to think of a way to put it, “I guess more like me.”

Sehun blinked at Luhan, “where do I fit in?”

    “Not sure … my trainee? Apprentice?” He shrugged “I could take you on as a lover …” He looked out the window, “been a very long while since I’ve had one of those.”

    “Lover? I don’t even know your name.” He looked like he was trying to think of ways out of this, “How do you know I even like guys?”

    “Luhan, and it’s amazing how much I know about you once I’ve bothered learning your name OhSehun.” The redhead smirked.

    “I guess I’m gonna be stuck in here for some time, might as well get to know you better.” He said quietly.

    “You won’t be in here too much longer,”

    “What do you mean?”

    “You’re healing faster than you should be … if you were normal.”

    “If I was normal, I’d be dead … How bad were my injuries?” Sehun asked, his voice getting stronger each time he spoke.

    “I’m surprised they let you keep your arm,” Luhan said. “It was hanging by a few tendons and a piece of flesh … maybe the few ribs that hadn’t been cut in half. That was a rather sharp piece of metal that made its way through you.” He pointed at the man’s right arm that was currently being braced parallel to his clavicle. “You’re going to scar,” Luhan said.

    “I figured.”  He frowned after a moment, “What about my family?”

    “What about them?”

    “What do I tell them?” he asked.

    “Weren’t they on the bus?”

    “No, I was on my way home to see them.”

    “Oh …” Luhan thought for a moment. He wasn’t used to this physical attachment crap, but he knew he had to keep Sehun happy. “We can go see them?” He smiled when Sehun smiled, “And then you can tie up whatever loose ends until I figure out what we’re supposed to do.”

Sehun’s smile wavered. “So … does that mean you’re taking me away from them for good?”

    “Eventually,”  Luhan said without the hint of a smile.

   “What will I be doing and do I have a choice?”

    “For now, following me and once we figure out how to get you to incorporeate, then I will take you from here.” Luhan started talking more to himself, “We might not be able to until we’ve found the other person.”

    “How long do you think it will be?” Sehun asked.

    “Who knows, I found you pretty much right away. Just got a text that said to be at the bottom of the ravine and the time was right before you landed. And I just felt like I needed to save you. You owe me a new bag of candy by the way. You bled all over my other one.”

    “Fine.”

Luhan never left Sehun’s side. He never slept, he never ate, he helped the other man eat and bathe. Sehun was wholly embarrassed about that. All Luhan had said was ‘hm … not bad at all.’ With a raised eyebrow and leering eyes.

One day he got another text. Luhan said he had probably found the other and that he’d be back as soon as he could, then kissed him on the forehead just before they wheeled him off for another x-ray.