Another World

Decisions - A Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Fanfiction

Goryeo continued to prosper following their empress’s passing. Although the court made a case for the emperor to remarry so as to stabilize his power, So refused taking another consort, and even went as far as threatening the court that he would draw blood if they suggested it again. The ministers knew the emperor had long left his “wolf dog” days in the past, but were well aware he would take action if they provoked him any further. The 9th prince himself was sentenced to death by poison last month for attempting to usurp the throne. They did not dare irk the emperor’s ire and decided to drop the topic completely from future meetings.

 

 Ju, who had long joined the courtly meetings and had to listen to the same ridiculous requests like his father, continued to be disgusted with the elderly ministers and steeled himself for the future. He himself had wed a lady with a relatively unremarkable and humble background, but they had a good reputation and were loyal to the crown. Ju preferred it this way, as he did not need his wife’s family to hold anything over him. 

 

Ju had met Soo Jung while on an outing with his parents awhile back, and they had kept in touch until he revealed his intentions to his parents. After meeting her, they gave their approval, and Ju thus sought permission from her family. Although they were initially adverse to her marrying the crown prince, worried about the power struggles that occurred in the palace, Ju eventually won them over when he continued to show that he would care for and protect their daughter. Soo Jung herself had a strong will to survive in the palace and as the future empress. She was just the type of support that Ju needed, and he was thankful to have met someone like her.

 

The court had just adjourned and Ju made his way back to his quarters, when another figure approached him. As he turned to see who it was, he realized it was his half-cousin Ji Hye. She was the eldest daughter of his half-aunt Yeon Hwa and he tried to keep a grimace from forming on his face.

 

Although Yeon Hwa had failed in becoming the empress, she eventually married a nobleman chosen by her clan and gave birth to Ji Hye. Unfortunately, her schemes were still not over, and Ju himself became the target of her plans. Her latest scheme was attempting to convince him to take Ji Hye as his concubine.

 

Ji Hye came to a stop when she reached him and gave a bow, greeting him with a pretty smile.

 

“Greetings to the crown prince. I hope you have been doing well. The weather was so nice today, I was hoping to invite you to share a cup of tea with me.”

 

“I am afraid I cannot do that as I have other matters to attend to. I appreciate your offer but will have to decline. To compensate you for your travels, please feel free to visit Damiwon. I am sure they will have the tea that you seek.”

 

Ju made to leave but Ji Hye tried to stop him.

 

“Your highness, why do you shun me so? You know it would do you well to favor me.”

 

Ju looked at her coldly.

 

“If your mother has been feeding you falsities, I would highly recommend you think more deeply about this topic. I am clearly not interested in you, and I am already happily married. What makes you think I would agree with that nonsense? Your mother is no different from the ministers who are pushing for my father to be remarried, and at his age at that!”

 

Ji Hye’s face grew dark, and Ju could see her biting her lip in anger. 

 

“Now, if you will excuse me. Have a good day,” he said before brushing past her towards his quarters.

 

When he arrived, he met with Soo Jung who pulled him deeper into their room after the doors closed. He could tell something was wrong when she looked over his shoulder to make sure no one else had entered behind him.

 

“Soo Jung ah, what is wrong?”

 

She looked at him apprehensive before speaking in a quiet voice.

 

“I just came back from visiting Paeha…and he asked me to bring you immediately. No one else is to know of his current condition except for you, the princesses, and the 1st princess’s consort.”

“What do you mean? I thought my father was recovering a few days ago?”

 

Soo Jung shook her head and frowned.

 

“I am afraid that is not the case. I have already sent for your sisters discreetly, but I think you should visit Paeha before it is too late.”

 

Ju nodded and made his way to the emperor’s quarters as quickly as he could without seeming suspicious. When he entered the room, it was just his father laying silently in bed. Ji Mong passed away a year ago from old age, and Ju wondered if his father felt alone, now that his trusted advisor and astronomer was gone. 

 

As he approached the bed, he could see the slow rising of his father’s chest and knew that for how he was still alive. He stood there silently watching his father sleep until he heard the doors open and turned around to see Seol walk into the room followed by Taek Geun and Soo Jung.

 

Seol approached Ju and reached out to give him a hug. Ju returned the gesture before pulling back and smiling slightly.

 

“How are you always able to arrive here so quickly?”

 

He looked over her shoulder to see Tak Geun smiling in response.

 

“My horses happen to be bred for speed and my wife has taken a liking to them. She has been riding quite frequently.”

 

Seol shook her head and admonished her husband.

 

“That is not the entire truth,” she whispered quietly before turning back to Ju.

 

“You know I can always be here if you need me. I am your sister after all,” Seol declared proudly.

 

Ju had to crack a smile before nodding in agreement. He could always count on his sister to be there for him, and he considered that a huge blessing. 

 

They suddenly heard the rustling of sheets and everyone turned to look at the bed to see So open his eyes. After blinking a few times, he turned his head to see his children in the room.

 

“Ah, it seems like Soo Jung has done what I have requested. Thank you, my child.”

 

Soo Jung bowed her head and responded. “It was my honor, Paeha.”

 

Ju and Seol knelt down by the bed and So looked at the both of them lovingly. 

 

“I have been very blessed in this lifetime. To have met your mother, and to be the father of such wonderful children. I am afraid my time is nearly up and regret not spending more time with you all.”

“Father, you must not talk like that,” Seol retorted, holding back her own tears.

“It is the truth Seol ah, but I am thankful to have seen your faces before I leave. But what of your younger sisters?”

 

Just after So had asked that question, the doors opened again to reveal Bo Hwa, Mun Deok, and Aji. They quickly entered the room and joined their older brother and eldest sister at the bedside.

 

“Father, we apologize for being late. Would you please forgive us?” Aji asked in a soft voice. Bo Hwa and Mun Deok nodded in concurment and So smiled.

“You made it just in time, Aji ya, there is nothing to be sorry for,” he said as he looked over at the twins.

 

“Mun Deok ah, why are you crying?”

 

She sniffed and reached up to wipe her tears hastily.

 

“I cannot help but feel sad because you are unwell, father.”

“I may not be physically well, but I assure you that I will be fine. I believe I will be meeting your mother again very soon.”

 

The room was silent as he spoke those words, and no one dared to say anything. It wasn’t until after Bo Hwa reached over to grasp their father’s hand and place something in it that the silence was broken.

 

“I thought this would make you feel better, father. Mother instructed us to take care of it before she left.”

 

So closed his hands around the object before lifting it up to see it was the pin he had gifted Soo many years ago. Its colors were still as vibrant as ever and it brought back memories that he had not thought about in a long time. 

 

Soo had a penchant for doing things that So didn’t always understand. Today for example, she had asked him to join her in rock painting. He wasn’t quite sure what the purpose of this was, but as always he did not have the heart to question her. To his surprise, after mixing his own paint and following Soo’s instructions, he found the activity to be fun and a great break from his duties. Eventually they had an arrangement of stones with various drawings and Soo put her brush down after finishing her last .

 

“There we are, I think we have a good amount to decorate the girl’s rooms.”

“You want to decorate their rooms…with these rocks?”

“They aren’t just any rocks! We put our heart and soul into painting these so they could be reminded of how much we love them. See?”

 

Soo held up a rock that had a painting of seven figures. When he looked closer, he realized she had painted their family, and a warm feeling came over him.

 

“You’re right. I believe our daughters will like them very much.”

“Of course I am, but what did you draw?”

 

So showed her his rock, which was a painting of Soo with the hairpin he had gifted her.

 

“Ah, I didn’t know you were drawing me…”

 

Soo blushed as she reached up to touch the hairpin in her hair.

“I think our daughters will appreciate this portrait of their mother as well.”

“And one of their father,” Soo said before holding up another rock with a painting of his face.

 

So broke out into a grin and stood up, taking Soo’s hand.

 

“Come, let us take these to our daughters.”

 

“Thank you, Bo Hwa ya. This is very special to your mother and I. You have done well to keep it safe.”

 

So let the hand grasping the pin fall to his chest before looking over at Ju.

 

“Ju ya, I have already written my will and you will find it in the blue book embroidered with peonies. Please take care of this family when I am gone.”

 

So shifted his gaze to Seol and then over to Aji, Bo Hwa, and Mun Deok.

 

“My daughters, please stay strong and help the crown prince when he is in need. Do not let outsiders ruin what we have created here in this family.”

 

Lastly, he met the gaze of Soo Jung and then Taek Geun.

 

“Soo Jung ya, Taek Geun ah, thank you for joining this family. I know you will continue to provide your support to Ju  and Seol.”

 

So took a final look at everyone who was in the room before looking at the ceiling and saying something so quietly that they almost could not hear him. But when they did, it struck a heartstring in everyone.

 

“If you and I are not from the same world, I will find you, my Soo ya.”

 

With those last words, the emperor closed his eyes, never to open them again. Outside, the sky grew darker, and the moon slowly moved into its place between the earth and the sun. It only lasted for a few minutes, but the outline of the sun behind the moon set a dark red glow in the sky. Eventually the sky began to lighten again and Ju saw the sunshine through the window before he looked back at his father’s face. It was serene, as if he was waiting for this very end. Ju slowly placed a white sheet over his face, as was customary with those who passed.

 

Ju offered his last prayers and then stood up from where he kneeled at the bedside to walk over to his father’s desk. Upon opening the will, he confirmed that his father had passed the crown onto him. When he turned around, he saw everyone on the ground in a bow.

 

“Long live the emperor!” they all chanted before standing up. Ju nodded in thanks and handed the will to Taek Geun.

 

“Will you be my advisor, Taek Geun ah? I believe I need someone like you, just as my father had Ji Mong.”

“It would be my honor, Paeha,” Taek Geun replied as he accepted the late emperor’s will. “Let everyone present be witnesses for you have been named the next emperor of his country.”

 

Ju turned around to take one last look at his father before leaving the room. As soon as he did, the servants dropped to the ground and gave their greetings to him as the new emperor. Ju continued his way to the throne room and wondered if his father would ever meet his mother again, in another time and place. Although he found it hard to believe at first when their parents revealed his mother’s origins, now he himself hoped he would be able to meet her in the very place she came from one day.

 

Ju sat down on the seat and waited for his court to assemble. Until it was time for him to leave this place, he would try his best to uphold the legacy that his parents left behind. Maybe his mother would read about it one day, and he wanted nothing else but to make her proud.