A Quiet Afternoon

Decisions - A Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Fanfiction

Hello everyone! Sorry again for the hiatus. This is obviously not something new, and I appreciate anyone who is still reading this story. I still get notifications about new subscribers and that makes me happy. It definitely motivates me to keep writing, despite my busy schedule. I had a lot of thinking to do about the progression of his plot, and where I wanted it to go. Hopefully things will turn out well. Enjoy the chapter!


 

For the most part, life passed on uneventfully for the next few months after Yo’s death, at least to the public eye anyway. When Eun and Soon Deok heard about Yo, they too grew sorrowful at the hardships their 3rd brother had to endure under Queen Yoo. Whenever Soo went about her daily walks to Lake Dong Ji, Soon Deok and sometimes Eun would join her to add to the prayer tower she created for Yo. Jung and Baek Ah were often away from the palace, with Jung managing the army near the borders and Baek Ah traveling to paint scenes of the kingdom. However, whenever they returned to the palace, both would join Soo in her prayers. So rarely had time during the day because of his courtly duties, but if it wasn’t too cold at night, he would join Soo to visit the lake and add another rock to the slowly growing tower of stones.

 

Although Queen Yoo did not visit Yo before his death to avoid gossip, that didn’t mean she did not take his death lightly. It was quite the opposite in fact; she was devastated one of her favorite sons finally, truly passed on. Any grief she felt the first time around Yo’s death was pronounced increased tenfold this time around, and she spent her days locked up in her quarters in despair. Sometimes she would hallucinate and cause a ruckus at the Queen’s quarters and many servants were dispatched to quell her ever paranoid mind. Soo tried to do her part by visiting, but she was always promptly turned away at the entrance, hearing the Queen yell and blame her through the doors for Yo’s death, along with her “cursed husband”.

 

Although it was a bit uncomfortable to be continuously refused for an audience with her mother-in-law in front of all the servants, Soo had to admit she was relieved she never actually had to face the distressed woman. If anything, Queen Yoo only scared Soo even more, especially after seeing what she did to Yo. Furthermore, her emotions weren’t in the most stable state with the progressing pregnancy, and Soo felt herself easily get upset at the smallest of things, much more often than before. If anything, staying away from Queen Yoo was the best thing for her right now.

 

The baby was growing steadily, and Soo found her tummy swelling significantly after the 4th month had passed. Luckily the hanboks she had to wear were loose, but she found the numerous layers she had to wear made it very uncomfortable for her. Despite that, Soo endured it and continued with her duties. After the 8th month, it was growing increasingly hard for Soo to move around, and So insisted that she take a break from her job as senior court lady to care for her health and the ever-growing baby. Soo brushed off his worry and continued to work stubbornly, but after an incident when she nearly fell into the bathing pool not once, but twice while serving the King, even he had enough of her stubbornness and ordered her to rest from her duties until she had given birth and was well recovered to return.

 

“Hae Soo, I know you worry about me ever since the incident with Chae Ryung, but you must be relieved of your duties until you give birth. I am in good hands with your ladies in waiting, and I am sure you trust them as well.”

“I do Paeha, but I just can’t—”

“Are you defying the orders of the King right now, Hae Soo?”

 

Soo bowed her head and wrung her hands in an uncomfortable silence. She heard the King let out a sigh and looked up to see him giving her a smile.

 

“I will be fine, Hae Soo. How about I let you supervise once a week. That way you can make sure things are still running smoothly during your absence. Will that calm your conscience?”

“Yes, Paeha. I thank you for your benevolence.”

“Besides, I would not want to be the cause of anything harming my niece.”

 

Soo had to grin at that statement. She knew that So was insistent on having a girl first, but in this time and era without the convenience of technology and ultrasound, Ha Jin was still clueless about the gender of the baby. Only after birth would she know.

 

“How do you know it is a girl, Paeha?”

“I do not, but it seems as if my 4th brother is very keen on having an eldest daughter. I suppose I have been humoring him to the point that I am starting to believe it myself.”

“I do not know why So is so insistent on having a girl first? Although I do not mind either way, would it not be better if I had a son first?”

 

Ha Jin knew the importance of extending the family line during this time. And although she thought it was utter rubbish, at least in the modern mindset, she knew why it was so dire to have a son. Birthing during these times were dangerous, and there was a high chance that she might not survive. Therefore, it was pertinent that a son was born first. The sooner the better, to ensure the continuation of the family line.

 

The King smiled and shook his head.

 

“Perhaps if you were in a position like mine, you might be more concerned about that. But So is not, and he merely wants a daughter to dote upon, just like he does for you.”

 

Soo nodded as the King stepped from the bathing pool. Arang and Eun Bi broth forth several towels and a dry robe for the King and within a few minutes, he was ready to have his skin treated by Soo.

 

After Soo was done, the King playfully but also seriously ordered her back to her quarters in the palace and to take some well-deserved rest.

 

When Soo had arrived back to her quarters, she sat down on the bed before standing up again. Ever since she had arrived in Goryeo, she never had a moment to rest. However, now that she had the opportunity, she had no idea what to do with herself. Her abrupt movement made the baby kick a few times as it moved around in her belly, and Soo reached down to rub her tummy so she could soothe the baby.

 

“Miahne. Umma is feeling a bit restless now that she has nothing to do.”

 

Soo took a look at the shelf with her books, but didn’t feel like reading them now. She could always do that tonight when So came back, just as they always did. Looking over at her table, she realized that she never had the chance to read the letter from her father. A servant had delivered it this morning but she had been in a rush to meet the King, so the letter was left unopened on her table.

 

Soo retrieved the letter from the table before going back to the bed to sit down more comfortably. Turning the envelope over and slipping her fingers under the flap, Soo slowly opened it to take out the folded parchment and unfolding it, reading the words from her father.

 

My dearest Soo ya,

 

I hope this letter finds you in good health. I know the pregnancy must be progressing now, and it saddens me that I cannot be there to help and support you. Unfortunately, matters here in Khitan need my presence, but as soon as they are resolved I will hurry home.

 

How is So doing? I am sure he is overjoyed to hear he will be a father! The rest of the royal family (save for several people) must be eager for the arrival of their niece or nephew in a few months’ time as well. Hopefully I will arrive before you give birth, so that I may witness my first grandchild enter the world.

 

I know you may not want to read this, but your parents would be so proud of you. I know I am. You have grown to be such a beautiful and courageous lady. Although the heavens took your parents away early, they have blessed me with you, and I have had such joy seeing you grow into the person you are today. Never forget who you are, and where you came from.

 

I am afraid duty calls, so I must cut this letter short. When you receive this letter, please reply as soon as you can. I await your response. Until then, stay happy and healthy my daughter.

 

With much love,

 

Your father.

 

Ha Jin was smiling by the end of the letter, but it was a smile of mixed feelings. Although she had been happy to hear from her adoptive father, it made her think about her parents in the future. How were they doing now? Were they worried about her? Were they healthy? If only she could write a letter to them as well, to let them know that she was doing fine. To let them know that she was happy and healthy, married to a man she loved and was pregnant with their first child!

 

When she thought about Hae Soo’s parents, she felt a guilty. Somehow she had taken this girl’s body, and had not retained any memories of its previous inhabitant. There was no way she could recover those memories, and she felt obligated to honor them in some way, to thank them for giving birth to Hae Soo, and for providing Ha Jin a place to stay while she was in Goryeo. She hoped that Hae Soo’s soul had passed on peacefully. If Ha Jin were to return to the future and Hae Soo to return to the past, the girl would find herself married to the 4th prince, a man she didn’t love, and with a stranger’s children to take care of.

 

This was why Ha Jin had started yet another prayer tower, for Hae Soo. She didn’t tell anyone other than So who it was for. If anyone else asked, she said she just made it just in case, for any wandering soul who needed a bit of guidance into the next world or life. Ha Jin prayed that Hae Soo’s soul had left peacefully, and that if she was in another world or life, it was not one in Ha Jin’s body.

 

Ha Jin still had no idea why she had been brought to the past. And if Ji Mong had any knowledge of why, he certainly wasn’t willing to tell her why. Every time she tried to ask or bring up the topic, he would give her cryptic answers or all together avoid answering at all. Eventually, Ha Jin decided to stop asking altogether.

 

Although she had revealed to So about her origin from the future, their daily lives did not warrant much talk about it. He was always busy with his duties and Ha Jin with hers. Sometimes during the night when they had both retired to bed, So would ask her to talk more about the world she came from. It was always difficult to pick a subject to talk about, but she always managed. One night, she chose to talk about the cars and subways, and of flying airplanes that would bring a person from one end of the world to the other in one day. When she mentioned airplanes, So perked up at the description.

 

“Airplanes? That sounds like what Ji Mong described in the astronomy tower.”

 

Ha Jin recalled that Ji Mong had made a model of an airplane and hung it from the ceiling. There was no more concrete evidence but that to prove he was from the future. Not that that solved anything; he continued to keep his lips sealed.

 

“Yes, I suppose it is. The late King said he was from the future as well, but they both seemed pretty set on not doing anything to affect the future, at least not directly.”

“It is a bit too late for that,” So said as he kissed her temple affectionately.

“I don’t regret it.”

“Nor do I,” So said as he hugged her closer before the both of them fell asleep.

 

Reverting back to the present and rubbing her swollen belly, Ha Jin felt the baby kick. She would be giving birth for the first time here, without her true mother and father. Furthermore, it would be in a world where there were no immediate pain relievers or hospitals. She hadn’t felt like this in a while, but for the first time, Ha Jin wished she was back in the future with the modern conveniences of technology and medicine, just so she could guarantee the survival of her childbirth but also the survival of her child. She couldn’t imagine what would happen if she passed on from this world. What would So do? How would her child fare? Where would Ha Jin’s soul end up? In the future as herself, or an entirely new life?

 

Just as she was feeling a panic attack come on, the doors opened and So walked in with a worried look on his face.

 

“Soo ya, is it true? I heard you nearly fell into the bathing pool today.”

 

Soo’s panic thankfully died down at the sight of So and she had to give a cheeky smile.

 

“Keyword, nearly. I didn’t fall into the pool yet. And if the King has it his way, I won’t fall in at all. He has issued an order for me to rest from my duties until after I’ve given birth. However, he has allowed me one day a week to supervise Damiwon activities.”

 

So walked over to where Soo was sitting on the bed and sat down next to her, reaching for her hands.

 

“If I had known that was all it took for you to rest, I would have asked the King to issue that order months ago!” he said half-jokingly and half-seriously.

“I was fine months ago,” Soo reasoned. “Besides, if I hadn’t nearly fallen into the water, I would have convinced the King to allow me to keep working!”

 

So shook his head before he looked down at Soo’s stomach and reached out to see if he could feel the baby kick. Soo, seeing what he was trying to do, reached out to guide his hand to where she felt the baby moving. As So felt the baby kick, his eyes grew wide in amazement, and Soo had to let out a chuckle.

 

“Is it that fascinating to you? This isn’t the first time you’ve felt the baby since it started kicking,” Soo asked teasingly.

“How can I not be amazed? This is someone we created together.”

 

He continued to keep his hand on her belly and she smiled in contentment. But then her earlier thoughts came forth. However, with So here, she did not feel the former panic arise, only worry.

 

“So ya.”

“Hmm?”

“I’m scared.”

 

So looked up at her and registered the worry that was on his wife’s face, before reaching for both of her hands again, grasping them firmly and reassuringly in his own.

 

“What is scaring you, Soo ya?”

“I’m used to having hospitals available, and pain medications to prepare for childbirth. Everything in my world ensures I will survive…but what will happen to me if I don’t here?”

 

So’s face grew serious and he pulled Soo into a tight embrace. She buried her face into his shoulder and held him just as tightly.

 

“Don’t think about that. You will survive, Soo ya. Think about that and you will. Besides, how could you even think about leaving me and our child behind? Don’t you dare, Soo ya.”

 

He hugged her tighter, if that was even possible, and she nodded. So was right; she had to stay positive. How could she even think about leaving her family behind? She had to think optimisticly: things would turn out fine. True, the risk of her health was there due to Soo’s weak body, but Ha Jin would pray for a safe delivery, and for future deliveries if the heavens allowed. After all, the queens of the royal family survived after giving birth to multiple children. Why couldn’t she do the same?

 

“You’re right. I won’t think of that anymore.”

 

Still in his embrace, Soo realized she hadn’t asked So why he was back so early. He didn’t usually take breaks, at least that was what she remembered anyway.

 

“So ya, why are you here? Don’t you have duties to attend to?”

“I’m attending to my duties right now, as a husband to his wife.”

 

She pulled back to see a grin on his face and rolled her eyes.

 

“If you say so, but tell me the real reason.”

“Eyy, do you doubt your husband?”

“Wait, really? You were relieved from your royal duties to be with me?”

 

Soo had a feeling the King had something to do with this. She would have to pay him a visit tomorrow with his favorite tea and snacks to thank him.

 

“Of course! I wasn’t expecting it, but the King said you might need some company after what happened today.”

“I am so very lucky to have the King’s favor, but that means I must watch my back, doesn’t it? Someone could use that against us in the future,” Soo said somberly.

“I know you will be careful, but I will protect you as well as the rest of the family. Do not fret too much about it.”

 

So looked over to the side and saw the letter Soo had set aside on the bed.

 

“Was that from your father? When did he say he would return?”

“He said several matters were holding him up, but he said he would be back within a month or so. He wishes to be present when I give birth.”

“Holding...up? Is that another expression from your world?”

 

Soo giggled and nodded. You would think that after years in this world she would have gotten used to using traditional speech. However, she had grown up in a different world for twenty some odd years, so it was inevitable that a few expressions would slip out here or there. It was still amusing to see So’s expression when he encountered a new phrase, but she didn’t mind explaining it to him.

 

“It means that he occupied or kept busy with a few matters in Khitan.”

“I see. Holding up…”

 

Soo watched So amusedly as he tried to wrap his brain around the new expression before he looked back at her.

 

“Soo ya.”

“Hmm?”

“I thought of a name for our daughter.”

“Our daughter? You really are insistent that I have a daughter first, aren’t you?”

“I am. What do you think about the name Seol?”

 

Seol, meaning snow. She would represent one of the purest things in this world, just like the first snow Soo had seen with So when she had first arrived in Goryeo. It seemed like a fitting name for their first daughter.

 

“I like it. Our Seol…it has a certain ring to it.”

“I’m glad you like it too….but what do you mean it has ‘ring’ to it?”

 

Soo couldn’t help and let out another chuckle before she proceeded to explain to So the meaning of this new expression.

 

They continued to spend the rest of the afternoon together, Soo felt a calm come over her, something she appreciated. She knew that this was still the start of many things to come, whether they be good or bad. But as long as she was feeling happy, she would enjoy it. She had already experienced too much pain and sorrow not to.