Meaning Behind the Peony

Decisions - A Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Fanfiction

Soo lost count of how many different sights she had seen on the journey. It seemed like every other day she was greeted with something she had never seen before. Every village or town was different, and so were its people. She enjoyed interacting with everyone, and learning more about their daily lives. Casually, she would also ask them if they had any complaints, or requests they wished the King would fulfill.

 

So and their guards also did this while interacting with the villagers, taking note of what problems they could bring back to King Hyejong, so that it could be resolved. There were some days where they would stay a little longer at each village, just so they could help the townspeople build a new house, or even help anyone with their farming chores. In return, they would be provided shelter for a night’s rest, or more food to last them on their journey.

 

Soo’s favorite part about visiting new villages or towns, was being able to learn more about medicinal herbs, or new ways to create beauty products. Baek Ah had gifted her with a beautifully bound notebook, so she could record her notes during their journey. Whenever she learned of a new herb, or a new treatment, she would draw or jot down her notes. Although she tried to write in Hanja, sometimes she resorted to modern Hangeul because she was more familiar with that, and was able to write much faster and efficiently. One night as she was perusing through her latest notes, So sat down next to her, opening up his own notebook, one in which he recorded the day’s events, and any issues that arose from talking to the villagers.

 

“Soo ya,” he said as he leaned over her shoulder to take a look at her notes.

 

She jumped slightly at his proximity, not noticing how close he had gotten while she was engrossed with her notes.

 

“Yes?”

“What are those characters? That is not Hanja, is it?”

 

Soo felt a little nervous, realizing this was probably the first time So had seen her writing, and she wondered if it would be alright if she taught him modern Korean characters.

 

“It’s a more simplified form of Hanja. I made it up when I was younger so I could write faster.”

 

It was a major fib, and she hoped the future King Se Jong would not punish her for lying about the form of writing he had invented.

 

“Really? How does it work?”

 

And so the rest of the night was spent with her teaching him how to write in Hangeul. She hoped that it would not alter history too much, considering how Hangeul was created in 1443 by King Se Jong, at least half a century in the future from now. How was it that she remembered that, and barely anything from Goryeo? Anything would have helped her greatly in this time.

 

It was a couple of days later when So brought her up into the mountains, where the air was fresher, more crisp. They eventually arrived at a small temple, where a few monks resided. It was there where their team decided to rest for the day. Luckily, Soo was also able to learn a few new concoctions from the monks, which were used for their aching joints and fatigue. When So had learned there was a treatment for joints, he immediately sat down next to her and took his own notes.

 

“So ya, when have you been interested in medicine?”

“If they can help with your knee, or anything for your health, then I must learn about it.”

 

She smiled and looked over his shoulder at his notes, surprised that he was writing in Hangeul.

 

“So ya…you’re not writing in Hanja?”

 

She was amazed to see how fast he had picked up the new language, but wasn’t surprised given the intellect So possessed. Furthermore, it almost made her jealous at how neat and elegant his handwriting was.

 

“I wanted to give your writing a try. And you are right, it is much faster to write. Much simpler too. This could even be taught to villagers who do not have the capability, or means to learn complicated Hanja!”

 

And that nervousness crept into Soo again. Did she make a mistake? Should she not have taught So Hangeul? What if it changed history drastically, if Hangeul was introduced 500 years earlier than it was supposed to be?

 

“So ya…it’s just a childish language I made up. Surely it can’t be taught to other people? What would the great scholars think?”

 

He paused taking notes and thought for a bit, nodding his head in agreement.

 

“Perhaps it would be a bit difficult to make widespread. The scholars would also have a hard time accepting it as a language, especially since Hanja has been used for so long.”

“Can’t it just be our secret language? Just between us?”

 

So looked at her and smiled, leaning in to kiss her lips. Soo blushed and slapped his shoulder, peeking at the monk who was in front of them. Luckily the monk had averted his gaze, but she could still see an amused smile on his face.

 

“So ya!” she whisper-yelled.

“Why? Is it wrong for a husband to kiss his wife?”

“You should at least be considerate of others…”

 

So simply grinned and went back to writing his notes.

 

“Because you are so cute, I will keep this just between us. It will be a language that only the two of us can understand.”

 

Soo let out a quiet sigh of relief. She felt bad for hiding it from her husband, but after she had taught him Hangeul, Ji Mong’s warning kept ringing in her head. He had told her to not meddle with history, for fear of the repercussions that would occur if she did. She had already done so by hiding So’s scar, and although she did not regret that, from then on she had been careful about what she revealed to So.

 

Granted, her marriage to him could have also been another change in history. With all the possible things she could have done to change history jumbling around in her head, Soo visibly drooped, mouth in a pout and eyebrows furrowed in frustration, no longer listening to the monk’s lecture. She hadn’t realized how long she had stayed that way until So nudged her.

 

“Soo ya, is everything all right? Are you tired? Should I have them prepare a bed for you?”

 

She straightened herself up immediate and shook her head quickly.

 

“N..no! Everything is fine! I was just thinking about how I could practice this treatment when we get back.”

 

And she hurriedly scribbled a few words in her notebook, making it seem like everything was okay. She knew So could tell something was up with her, but was thankful when he did not push it. After the monk had finished his lesson, the couple thanked them before retreating to their room to rest for the night.

 

On their last day staying at the mountain temple, So woke up their traveling party early in the morning, saying that they had to move quickly. When Soo asked him what their reason was for leaving so quickly, he smiled a mysterious smile.

 

“Just wait and you will see.”

 

The sun hadn’t even risen yet but they were already on the road, after thanking the monk’s graciously for their hospitality. They rode in silence for a few hours, but Soo was still sleepy so she fell asleep against So while they rode.

 

It was only when So shook her awake gently that she woke up. Blinking her eyes sleepily, she sat up and stretched slightly, looking around to take a survey of their surroundings. What she didn’t expect was to see the beautiful sight that met her eyes.

 

There was an entire field of peonies, as far as her eyes could see in every direction. Because she was sitting on the horse, she could see even further, as the sun shined down onto the leaves and petals, brightening their already vibrant colors. The slight wind blowing swayed the flowers to and fro, and as she continued to drink in the sight, Soo felt her lips curl up into a grin.

 

“Was this what you wanted us to wake up early for?”

 

She heard So chuckle as he dismounted.

 

“Are you not glad I woke you up early for this?”

 

He stood on the ground as he held out his arms to her. Smiling, she nodded as he helped her dismount, his hands held firmly around her waist as he did so.

 

“I am glad to see you like it, Soo ya.”

“Where is everyone else?”

 

It was only then that she noticed their usual guards were not around. Looking up at So, she saw he was looking to the side, avoiding her gaze in what looked like embarrassment. He cleared his throat before speaking, eyes glancing back at her.

 

“I asked them to keep a lookout on the edges of the field. I wanted time to ourselves for a bit.”

 

It had been awhile since the two of them had been together, without the eyes of others looking upon them. These past few months had been spent helping the people or traveling with their guards, always surrounding them for protection. Although she didn’t mind it, it was nice that they could get some alone time, just to spend with each other. She stood on her toes to peck him on the cheek before taking his hand and pulling him towards the field of peonies, so she could take a closer look at the blossoms.

 

“It seems like you still know how to be romantic, So ya. I hope you won’t forget when we’re old and our hair is full of gray hairs,” Soo said as she bent down to smell the fragrance of the flowers.

“I will never stop letting you know how much I love you, Soo ya.”

 

She looked over at him to meet his heated gaze, blushing. She stood up and walked further into the field, letting her hands brush over the flowers and leaves as she went. She could hear him follow her, footsteps padding softly upon the grass-covered ground.

 

“You know that peonies were named after Paeon? He was a physican of the gods, training under the great God of Medicine Asclepius. He became so skilled that his teacher grew jealous, and the head God Zeus turned him into a peony flower to escape Acelepius’s wrath.”

“Where do you learn these stories, Soo ya? You always have something new to tell me.”

“I liked to read about myths when I was younger, and the stories just stuck in my head I suppose, even after I forgot how to read and write following my accident.”

 

She added that last part quickly, just so it wouldn’t look suspicious. She waited to see if So would call her out on that, but he didn’t, simply nodding.

 

“I suppose it makes sense it is your favorite flower. Although you do not identify as a physician, you could rival their skills. I know the King appreciates your help greatly.”

“Does that mean I’ll be turned into a peony one day?”

“If you do, I will turn myself into one too, so I will never be apart from you.”

 

She turned around to see he had been picking peony blossoms the entire time, and he presented to her the bouquet he had created. She accepted it gratefully, bringing the flowers to her nose so she could appreciate their light scent.

 

“Thank you, So ya. These are beautiful. I only wish we could keep them in water while we traveled, so they could last a bit longer.”

“Ah, I forgot about that. I suppose I was too focused on giving you the flowers, that I forgot they would not last long after they have been picked.”

 

He scratched the back of his head bashfully. She smiled and shook her head.

 

“It’s okay! We can let them dry in our cart while we travel. The scent will be nice, and it’ll linger for a long time even after the flowers have wilted.”

“How is that you always know what to say?”

 

He reached for her hand and she accepted his hand immediately, the both of them walking side by side now, deeper into the field.

 

“So ya.”

“Hmm?”

“The flower on my hair pin, it’s a peony right?”

“It is.”

“Did you buy it because you knew it was my favorite flower?”

“I did not buy it. I commissioned it.”

 

She stopped in surprise, stopping him in the process as well.

 

“You designed it?”

“I am not sure what ‘designed’ means, but yes, I drew it and gave it to a metal worker so he could make it.”

“But when?”

“I heard from Baek Ah that the peony was your favorite flower. And I wanted to thank you for covering up my scar, so I had it made for you shortly after the rain ritual. I just never had the opportunity to give it to you until later.”

 

Although the hair pin already held so much meaning to Soo, hearing this piece of news made her appreciate it even more. Although So showed his love every day, having a physical piece of his love in the form of the peony hairpin made her feel happy. Even if they had quarrels in the future, she would always be reminded of how much So loved her.

 

So looked at her, tilting his head and smiling his playful smile.

 

“Why? Are you impressed?”

“Not so much as impressed, but touched. I didn’t realize the significance behind the pin until now. I simply thought you bought it because it was my favorite flower.”

“Of course. I am the 4th prince after all, and now your husband. I should be capable of at least that much.”

 

Although his tone seemed reprimanding, his expression said otherwise. Soo finally wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him down for a kiss. So was surprised but quickly adjusted, pulling her closer to deepen the kiss. When she eventually pulled away slightly, she looked into his eyes.

 

“Thank you, So ya. I love you.”

“You are welcome, Soo ya. And I love you as well.”

 

Smiling, he pecked him another time before pulling away but keeping one hand on his as they continued to stroll around the peony field.

 

“This is such a beautiful sight. I wish I could capture it with my cell…myself so I could remember when we return to the palace.”

 

She almost slipped by saying cellphone. Although she was glad their marriage had made her so comfortable with So, Soo realized that she was letting herself make too many slips about her modern world. What if she made a big mistake and So didn’t trust her anymore?

 

“Yes, there have been many sights I wished I could draw so I could look back. However, I am afraid my art skills are nothing close to that of Baek Ah’s. Perhaps when we return, we could have him draw something.”

“Can he draw anything simply from a description?”

“I believe so. Granted it is not the same exact thing, but it can come very close.”

“It has been awhile since we’ve left the palace, hasn’t it?”

“A few months. Why, are you missing it already? And you were so eager to leave it too.”

 

So reached over to tap her nose playfully, and she wrinkled it in return.

 

“I don’t miss the palace, but rather the people who live there. I miss Baek Ah, Eun, and Jung. I wonder how the King is doing. I miss Woo Hee as well. She said she went back to Baekje and even though we visited, I had no idea where to find her.”

 

So nodded, agreeing with her.

 

“Even when we asked the people if they knew of her, it seemed like they were trying to hide something. Granted, I did not think of that at the time, but when I think back I am curious to why no one knew where she was. If it was her old hometown, surely there must have been someone who knew her?”

“She asked me to write often, but with all of the events at the palace, I have yet to do so. Nor have I received a letter from her. Perhaps it arrived after we left?”

“Are you saying you want us to return to the palace now?”

 

Soo shook her head.

 

“I do miss your brothers, but I would like to savor our freedom a bit more before we return.”

“Are you sure?”

 

So was serious now, and Soo knew again that he would do whatever she wanted of him. But she assured him with a nod of her head.

 

“I am. Besides, you said there is so much more for us to see, right?”

“There is one more region I have been to, but after that I am not sure where else I could take you.”

“That is enough then. It does not have to be anything grand. I am just thankful that we were able to take this journey together.”

 

He nodded and squeezed her hand affectionately, before prompting her with a question.

 

“Are you sure you will not regret it?”

“What do I have to regret?”

“Not being able to live outside the palace. Not having to deal with everyone’s eyes on you, watching your every move and pouncing on the moment you make a mistake.”

“I believe I will miss this, just traveling without a care in the world. Just the two of us, and a few trusted guards for our safety, enjoying each day as it comes.”

“But?”

“But I don’t think I would be satisfied, when I know that there are things I can do at the palace to help others. I am a princess by marriage now. Surely I can do something to help the people now that I am in that position. I did not have much power as a court lady, but now….”

 

She trailed off, now realizing why Wook had wanted power so much. Having power meant having the ability to change the world. Your world, and that of everyone else living in it. Although he told her he was doing for her, she knew now that he was also doing it for himself, and his family. Perhaps his original intention had changed, but Soo supposed that power meant a lot during this time. And to be powerless was the worst position to be in.

 

“Soo ya?”

 

She looked up at him and smiled, albeit sadly.

 

“I suppose that is why your brothers are fighting for the throne. To have power means a lot, doesn’t it?”

“Power is only useful if you can change the world for the better. In the wrong hands, it will only bring about destruction. That is why I said the throne meant nothing to me, especially if I could not have you. What would power give me, other than responsibilities and the weight of the entire kingdom?”

“Then why did you return to the palace, your highness?” She asked teasingly.

 

She never really called him by his title unless she was being playful. So smiled and looked into the distance.

 

“General Park asked me the same thing when I returned. I told him that I wanted to serve the royal family, but he told me only one prince should stay at the palace, and that was the Crown Prince. He then told me to think carefully about why I wanted to remain in Songak.”

 

He shook his head while chuckling softly.

 

“I suppose he was wondering if I wanted to vie for the throne.”

“Did you ever want to sit on the throne?”

“I admit, it has crossed my mind at times. Especially when you asked me.”

“And you always told me the throne meant nothing.”

“It is true. The throne is nothing if I could not have you. I still think that, but I wondered what I could do if I was king. Perhaps I could change the world, but I also realized I am not ready for that amount of responsibility. Instead, I can help my brother and have the opportunity to travel like this. Furthermore, I have you, and that is all I need.”

 

So grinned and Soo replied with a grin of her own. How could she not after hearing him say that? It only confirmed her knowledge of So’s character. Despite having the star of a king, he had no desire or greed for that kind of power, and for that she was glad. She didn’t know what she would do if he suddenly developed the desire to sit upon the throne. Would she feel betrayed if he did? But he said he wanted to change the world for the better. It wouldn’t be like his brother Yo, who simply wanted the throne for power itself. Or Wook, who wanted power to secure his family’s position.

 

So would change the world if he became king, truly being the king who ruled for the sake of the people, instead of appeasing the nobles to secure his power as a monarch.

 

Suddenly a vision hit her again, and Soo was frozen momentarily as the scene played out in her head.

 

It was the vision of So, wearing the robes of a king again.

 

“Wang Hoo.”

 

He called someone queen again, but this time she saw his hand reach out in front of him. And to her surprise, she saw what seemed like her hand reach out towards him to place it in his. He pulled the hand closer, smiling as he did so.

 

“Let us go to court. There is much to be done today.”

 

Who was he talking to? Why did it seem like she was the one reaching out to accept his hand?

 

“Soo ya…Soo ya!”

 

She was brought back to the present with So’s shaking. She looked up at him, his eyes scanning her face worriedly.

 

“Soo ya, are you okay? It seemed like you were out of it for a long time just now. Should we leave now? Perhaps it was a bad thing I woke you up so early this morning.”

“No..no! I’m fine, really! I just…had a vision.”

“Another vision? When was the last time you had one?”

“The night I accepted your proposal, after I was brought back to the palace.”

“That was months ago. What happened this time?”

“It was you on the steps of the palace again, wearing the royal robes of a King.”

“Was it the same as last time?”

“It was, but this time you reached out a hand and someone put a hand in yours, before you said it was time to go to court.”

“It was you.”

“Ehh?”

“Soo ya, I told you I would not take another wife. Who else could it have been but you?”

“But you as King? And me as Queen? How can that be possible?”

“Did you see the face of the person who placed the hand in mine?”

“No, but…”

“From what perspective did you see the vision? From the side? From afar?”

“I….it seemed like it was me who placed my hand in yours.”

 

So smile and pulled her closer into a hug.

 

“Soo ya, do not worry so much about these visions. Perhaps you worrying about me being King has made your brain internalize it so much that you are getting these visions. Everything will be okay.”

“Aren’t you mad at me?”

“Why would I be? It is not your fault you are having these visions. It is not like you want these visions, right?”

“No…”

“Then there should not be anything for me to get angry about.”

 

Soo let herself calm down in So’s embrace, but wondered why she got that vision again. So was right, it had been months since she had her last vision. But why did she get it just now? And furthermore, it wasn’t the same exact vision as last time. She saw more this time, and she wondered what that meant. So also brought up another point. Her perspective wasn’t of a person observing a scene happening in front of her. On the contrary, it was of first person. She was the one who reached to him with her own hand. It wasn’t possible to have a vision from someone else’s head, was it?

 

So pulled away and reached up to brush the strands of hair that escaped her bun, before setting his hand against her cheek.

 

“Are you okay now? Should we head back? Even I think I have spent too much time in this sun.”

 

Soo forced a smile on her face and nodded, so she wouldn’t worry him any further. So was right, it was best not to worry about something she couldn’t control. He smiled and kept a hold on her hand as he led her back to their horse.

 

However, as Soo held So’s hand tightly with her own, the remaining one clutching the bouquet of peonies to her chest, she could not help but run through the vision in her head again and again.

 

What could it have meant?


Thank you to all of you who have been waiting patiently for the past two weeks! I'm sorry it took so long but I wanted to give something that was worth waiting for. Hopefully it was ;) 

As always, please subscribe if you haven't and leave a comment. I see all of you following this story, so if I get at least 30 comments then I will post the next chapter on Monday.

See you in the next chapter!