Birthday Occasion

Decisions - A Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Fanfiction

Another update from me. Don't be too surprised now ;) Again, please leave a comment and let me know what you think. I would greatly appreciate it :)

P.S. That 7th episode of Goblin...omg. Can't wait for the next one :3


Soo was once again at her desk recording daily notes in her notebook. It was customary for her to keep track of all events ongoing at Damiwon, whether a new shipment was needed for certain supplies, or the activities of her court ladies. When she was done with that, she would usually write in her diary. She had already filled up one journal on their journey, so So had given her a new one. This journal was bound with royal blue silk, with small peonies embroidered in a pattern on the covers. She had just begun a new entry when she heard someone knock on her door.

 

“Come in,” she said as she dipped her brush in some more ink. Out of the corner of her eye, Soo saw Chae Ryung enter.

 

“Your highness!”

“I told you not to call me that,” Soo admonished gently as she continued to write.

“It became a habit, so I cannot fix it. Besides, it would be improper for me to call you agasshi now.”

 

Chae Ryung giggled to herself before quieting, and moving closer to Soo.

 

“Are those words as well?”

 

Soo’s hand froze slightly, belatedly realizing she had been writing in Hangeul when Chae Ryung had arrived. However, she continued to write to make it seem natural.

 

“Yes, they are. I made it up so I could write things easier, but it’s quite childish. It would be better for me to write in Hanja.”

 

She closed her journal abruptly before setting down her brush. Turning her head towards Chae Ryung, Soo looked at her curiously, trying to change the subject.

 

“So what did you need to see me for?”

“Ah!”

 

Chae Ryung had been holding her hands behind her back, and brought them forward to reveal what looked like a brace, embroidered in colorful silk and flowers.

 

“Happy Birthday! Today is your birthday, your highness. I am giving this to you because your knee is still not feeling well.”

 

Soo smiled and reached out to receive the gift. She had forgotten that today was Hae Soo’s birthday. She had never celebrated it here in Goryeo, seeing how she had arrived after the day had passed. As for last year, she was a water maid so there was no reason to have it celebrated.

 

“It’s so pretty,” she said as she ran her thumb across the embroidered flower. “Thank you. I will use it whenever my knee hurts.”

 

Lowering her hands, she looked back up at Chae Ryung.

 

“Still, the best gift is having you here at Damiwon.”

“That is because I was emancipated on your behalf by the 8th prince!”

 

Soo nodded, turning to store away the brace before standing up.

 

“Let us go. There is much to be done today.”

“Yes, your highness!”

 

And the both of them exited the room to begin their day at Damiwon. The morning was relatively busy as Soo supervised a new shipment of herbs and prepared for Queen Yoo’s arrival at Damiwon. Luckily she managed to handle that with as few thinly veiled comments from the irate mother-in-law as she could, and counted that as a birthday gift. She had been leaving after preparing a bath for the Queen when a court lady arrived, saying that the 13th prince had summoned her to his quarters. Soo nodded and thanked the court lady before making her way to the 13th prince. When she arrived, she was surprised to see that So was also present, and they both smiled at each other.

 

“Hyungsoonim, Hyungnim, please stop staring at each other. It makes me quite uncomfortable,” Baek Ah said after clearing his throat.

 

Both Soo and So colored, slightly embarrassed for being caught staring at each other but continued to smile as Soo made her way to her seat, which So had pulled out for her.

 

“You can hardly blame your brother, your highness. Can you not see how much he cares for me?” Soo asked jokingly as So took his seat after her.

“Although I can’t disagree with you, I have to say you are equally smitten with me,” So said with a smirk before taking a sip of his tea.

 

Soo began to retort, but Baek Ah held up both of his hands.

 

“Please, can the both of you just stop it for at least a minute? I need to give Soo her present!”

 

Soo and So both gave each other another look before chuckling.

“All right, your highness. Was this why you called me here today?”

 

Baek Ah nodded and pushed a bronze chest towards Soo. She looked at him expectantly and he smiled.

 

“Happy Birthday. I saw it at Byukrando and I knew it was perfect for you.”

 

She opened the box and was delighted to see many glass bottles containing what looked like oils and essences. She had seen things similar to this early on in their travels but withheld from buying it because she didn’t want to lug it around with them. Reaching into the chest, she picked up a bottle and uncorked it, smelling the fragrance.

 

“It was brought over by a Persian merchant from Bulgaria,” he continued as she recorked the bottle and placed it back into the chest.

“It’s a precious oil made from distilled rose leaves. It will be perfect for an incense pouch. I love it, thank you so much!”

 

Baek Ah smiled, pleased that his sister-in-law had enjoyed his gift for her. He looked over at So, who was watching Soo look through the rest of the chest and smirked.

 

“So hyungnim did not know what to choose, so he wandered around the market. He ended up coming back with nothing, or something like that.”

“I was the one who told you about her birthday, so technically this is my present to her. If I hadn’t told you, would you have anything to give her now?”

“But you still should have gotten something for her. She is your wife after all.”

“It’s all right your highness. It’s enough that he is here with me. I rarely see him nowadays because of our duties, so having him here is a gift itself. What more could I want?”

 

So’s hand reached over to grasp hers warmly, and they shared yet another look together.

 

“It seems like you two were a match made in heaven. I have yet to see any other royal couple look as happy as you two do.”

“You will find someone like that as well, Baek Ah ya,” So said as he turned his head back towards his younger brother.

“He’s already found someone So ya,” Soo said with an amused smile as she looked at Baek Ah’s confused expression.

“Has he now? Who is it?”

“It’s Woo Hee,” she said before Baek Ah spluttered indignantly, face growing pink.

“Ya..yah! You cannot say that! She does not like me that way…”

 

Woo Hee had recently returned to Songak, and Soo was not ignorant enough to think that the 13th prince and her friend had not seen each other since then. Woo Hee had written to her several times, but the two friends had not been able to meet up. However, Soo was tipped off by her friend’s affection for the 13th prince when she had asked about him in her letter.

 

“How do you know she doesn’t like you?”

“I..well…It just..”

 

Soo giggled and shook her head. Those two were still hopeless it seemed. She would have to find a way to get them together.

 

Later that night when Soo had finished her duties for the day, she sat in the bedroom writing in her diary again. She had left her entry unfinished in the morning when Chae Ryung visited, and wanted to finish it before So arrived for their dinner.

 

Looking over at the table in the corner of their room, Soo smiled to see all the gifts she had received for her birthday. Baek Ah’s oils were there, Jung had sent over several new medicinal texts from the bookstore in the market, and Eun and his wife Soon Deok had sent over a new hanbok and hair trinkets. Her ladies in waiting, Arang and Eun Bi, had gifted her an embroidered peony handkerchief and soap made from peonies respectively. Her adoptive father Sung Jin had sent precious silks from Khitan, along with a letter saying he would return within a week to visit. King Hye Jong had sent for her earlier on in the day, asking what she would like for her birthday, admitting a bit sheepishly he did not know what she would like. She boldly asked for So to have a day off so he could spend it with her. King Hye Jong laughed and revealed that So had asked for that as well, and agreed to grant both of them the next day off so they could spend more time with each other.

 

Soo was thankful for all the gifts she had received, but was most thankful for the love of her friends and family. Although she had arrived in Goryeo alone, she was no longer so because of the new relationships she had built during her time spent here.

 

She had just finished writing when she heard a howl from outside. She paused after setting down her brush before hearing the howl again, and held in a giggle. The howl wasn’t a howl from a real wolf, but from someone people had referred to as a wolf-dog. Soo knew right away it was So’s voice, and stood up from her seat to exit their room before making her way outside. She caught So turning around, scratching the back of his head, as he always did when he was embarrassed. When she had made it to the top of the steps, he turned back around and their eyes met. She tried to hold a blank expression as she spoke.

 

“Was that you who made those animal sounds just now?”

“Yes, I sounded so much like an animal, I was afraid you wouldn’t know it was me.”

“You’re not a dog or a wolf. It sounded like you were choking on rice cake.”

 

He cleared his throat, looking away embarrassed.

 

“Why does that matter? You’re out here now, aren’t you?”

 

He held his hand up to his mouth again, howling again to show off. She broke down and let out the laughter she had been holding in. So smiled seeing that, pleased that he had succeeded in making her laugh. When her laughter died down, she saw that So had offered his hand.

 

“Let’s go.”

“Where are we going?”

“I’ll show you something good for your birthday present. You didn’t really think I couldn’t find you a gift, did you?”

 

Soo smiled and took his hand as he led her down the steps and toward Lake Dong Ji. As they neared the lake, she saw he had a picnic prepared for their dinner. It was a delectable display, with candles lit so they could see in the dark.

 

“It’s beautiful, So ya.”

“I’m glad you like it, Soo ya.”

“Thank you. Don’t tell anyone but I think it’s my favorite birthday present. Aside from our day off tomorrow.”

 

She stood on her toes to peck him on the lips before he helped her sit down on the blanket. After she was settled, Soo noticed the cake that he had prepared.

 

“Oh, you prepared a birthday cake for me?”

“Is that what you call it? I saw you had one for Eun on his birthday, so I asked the royal kitchens to prepare something similar.”

“You saw me give him that cake? I thought you only arrived after we moved inside?”

 

He handed her food, avoiding her gaze.

 

“I was on the side of the gazebo, and heard you sing. I left because I realized I had feelings for you and was embarrassed. I didn’t know what to do.”

 

She had taken a bite and nearly choked, chewing quickly before swallowing.

 

“Wait, you realized your feelings for me that day?”

 

He nodded, looking at her.

 

“Why?”

“And I made you wait for nearly two years?!”

 

She never realized how early on So had developed feelings for her, and suddenly felt guilty that she had made him wait that long before reciprocating. He chuckled and knocked her on the head lightly.

 

“Ya, it’s not like I asked for you to like me back. Plus, you can’t force someone to like you like that anyway. I didn’t mind waiting for you. Besides, you’re with me now, aren’t you?”

 

Soo smiled and nodded, and they continued to eat until they finished their meal. After setting aside their empty dishes, they finally cut into the cake.

 

“You know, where I am from, we put candles on the cake and make a wish before we blow them out.”

“Do the wishes come true?”

“Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t. It’s just a tradition someone created.”

“I don’t have any candles prepared for the cake,” So said before he reached over for one of the candles near the edge of the picnic blanket, “but you can make a wish on this candle.”

“I don’t know what I would wish for. I feel as if I already have everything I’ve ever wanted.”

“I’m sure you have something,” he said as he indicated to the candle. “Go on, make a wish.”

 

Soo closed her eyes and clasped her hands together, thinking about what her wish would be. It took her a minute or two but she finally decided on one and opened her eyes before blowing out the candle.

 

“What did you wish for?”

“Eyy, I can’t tell you. If I do that, then it won’t come true.”

“Is that how it works?”

“It’s another tradition as well, or rather a superstition, but I would rather be safe than sorry.”

“I thought we agreed not to have any more secrets between us, Soo ya.”

“I…”

 

Soo knew he was joking, but couldn’t help thinking about one glaring secret she hadn’t been able to tell So, and suddenly felt very guilty about it.

 

“Soo ya, is something wrong? I was only joking…I didn’t mean to imply anything.”

 

He had scooted over closer to her and reached for her hands, encasing them in his large ones. She looked up at him, searching his eyes.

 

She never thought she would reveal her origin to anyone, considering everyone’s reactions when she had woken up from her accident, and asked if this was the afterlife. No one believed her, and she had to try her best to fit into this new world she had arrived in. It was hard at first, but she got used to it. Sometimes it was still hard, but she tried her best to work through it. Now that she was married to So, someone she trusted her entire life with, she wondered if it would be okay if she told him.

 

Would he look at her in a different light? Would he think she went crazy? She had already told him about the visions, and he accepted that quite easily. However, this was a different matter entirely. Soo took a deep breath. Now was the time, she had to tell him sooner or later and whatever consequences that came from it, she would deal with it.

 

“I know you were joking, but I do have a secret I’ve been keeping from you.”

“You mean the wish? You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to. You can do that after it comes true.”

“It’s not that…it’s something else.”

 

His expression was perplexed as he searched her eyes.

 

“What are you talking about Soo ya?”

“I’m not from here.”

“I know that. Your 6th cousin brought you to Songak from your hometown to take care of you, after your parents passed away.”

“I don’t mean that. I mean, I am not from this world, or from this time. I am from the future.”