Love or Betrayal?

Decisions - A Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Fanfiction

After all proper arrangements were made, and the appropriate people contacted, Woo Hee and Baek Ah decided to have a small wedding. They reasoned that it wouldn’t do much good to have a large wedding and attract unwanted attention. Regardless, King Hye Jong made sure his younger brother had the best for the wedding. In addition to being granted land and a furnished home, the King offered to always have quarters ready for the newly-wed 13th prince and princess to reside should they ever want to visit the palace.

Following a small ceremony at a nearby temple, Woo Hee and Baek Ah’s closest friends and family sat down to a wedding meal. Although King Hye Jong was unable to leave the palace, the happy couple had greeted them prior that morning when he bestowed his blessings and wedding gifts.

As Soo sat down, she leaned over towards So while looking at Woo Hee and Baek Ah.

 

“Don’t they look happy?”

 

So smiled endearingly as his wife as she continued to observe the newly-wed couple before turning his eyes in the same direction she was looking.

 

“Yes, they do look happy. It makes me feel as if our decision was the right thing to do.”

 

Soo reached over to hold So’s hand, and gave an affectionate squeeze, smiling as she did so. So returned the gesture, and both turned to start eating but before they could, Baek Ah stood and held up his cup.

 

“I would like to say a few words.”

 

The voices slowly quieted and everyone’s attention turned to the 13th prince. With everyone’s eyes on him, he cleared his throat and smiled before speaking.

 

“I would like to thank everyone who has come to our celebration today. Woo Hee and I are honored to have you here. I would also like to especially thank our 4th brother and sister who are here today. Truly, this would not have been possible without your support.”

 

At those words, everyone’s heads turned towards So and Soo, both who simply smiled and gave the 13th couple a happy smile in return before he continued.

 

“We will do our best to repay everyone here. Once again, thank you and I hope you enjoy the rest of the meal.”

 

With a few loud cheers and applause all around, Baek Ah sat down and turned to grin at Woo Hee, who returned it with an equally bright smile.

As the meal went on, various people finished early and decided to walk around the temple so they could enjoy the fresh mountain air. Soo herself had paid a visit to the altar and gave her prayers to the ancestors and gods before leaving the room. Just as she slipped on her shoes again, she heard a few hushed voices around the corner, though one voice was escalating quickly. Although she knew it was for her own good to walk away quietly, something kept her there when she heard the next words.

 

“I am very disappointed in you.”

 

Wasn’t that Woo Hee’s uncle? She had met him briefly earlier.

 

“Uncle, I thought we discussed this. It was the best for our family.”

“Our family? Since when did you care about our family? When your father was on the throne, you paid us no attention!”

 

Soo heard Woo Hee sigh.

 

“Well, my father is no longer on the throne, and now our people are viewed as slaves or fugitives. What more do you want me to do?”

“Not marrying into the enemy family would have been a good idea.”

“Baek Ah is not responsible for the actions of his father, you should know better than that Uncle…”

“Are you glad that you’ve betrayed your people?”

 

Soo could tell the next works Woo Hee spoke were thinly veiled with frustration.

 

“I have not betrayed my people. I’ve been trying to help them this entire time.”

“And how will marrying into the family that killed their people do that?”

“My new family is supportive of their plight. My brothers will cease this brutality.”

 

Woo Hee’s uncle made a disgusted sound before turning around and walking away from Woo Hee. Soo hid herself behind a pillar and waited till the footsteps disappeared before peering around the corner to see a crestfallen Woo Hee sit down on the steps. Soo wondered if she should leave her be or console her, and ultimately decided to walk towards her former friend, now a sister.

Woo Hee was slightly startled when Soo rounded the corner, and she stood up quickly trying to hide the tears that made their way down her face. 

 

“Soo ya! I didn’t know you were there. I was taking in some fresh air...”

 

Soo gave a sad smile as she handed Woo Hee a handkerchief.

 

“I was praying at the main altar just now.”

 

Woo Hee’s shoulders dropped, knowing well that the conversation between her and her uncle was privy to another’s ears.

 

“Then I suppose you heard me just now?”

 

Soo nodded silently as Woo Hee wiped away her tears and took a few breaths.

 

“Are you disappointed in me Soo ya?”

“Why would you think that?”

“You must think I am marrying into the family simply for the sake of my people.”

 

Soo shook her head as she led Woo Hee back to the patio of the temple, where both of them took a seat.

 

“I can see the love in your eyes when you look at Baek Ah, many of us have for some time now.”

“You do not doubt me?”

“I did not think about the act of you marrying into the royal family would be a benefit for your people. But I suppose now that I think about it, it is. Surely you are in favor with my husband, and the current King. Perhaps you can sway them to lessen the burden of those who support you.”

“My uncle seems to think I have betrayed them, and my family.”

 

Soo reached out to swipe away the loose hairs from Woo Hee’s forehead, before reaching down to tilt her face up gently. 

 

“It is like you said earlier: Baek Ah is not responsible for the actions of his father. Nor are you responsible for the actions of your family or people. The only actions you are responsible for are your own and nothing more. Perhaps you thought of helping your people when you married Baek Ah, perhaps not. Either way, you are here now, and can you truly say that you didn’t marry him for love?”

“Of course I love him!”

 

Woo Hee blushed upon realizing she had said those words. Soo, or rather Ha Jin, still couldn’t get used to the people of Goryeo being so shy when speaking of their feelings.

 

“As we all know. Now, regardless of what your uncle has said to you, what will you do from now on? That is the question you should ask yourself. No matter what you decide to do, I trust that you will stay true to your feelings, especially those towards Baek Ah.”

 

Soo left Woo Hee to collect herself, making her way to the main pavillion where the rest of the wedding guests had gathered again. She noticed Baek Ah walk towards her when he didn’t see Woo Hee follow.

 

“Hyungsoonim, have you seen Woo Hee? I’ve been looking for here but haven’t seen her anywhere.”

 

Soo saw Woo Hee’s uncle sit down at the table over Baek Ah’s shoulder but shifted her gaze quickly back to Baek Ah before answering.

 

“I just saw her actually. She was just freshening up but I’m sure she’ll be back very soon. Now come, I must have you poor So ya a drink. He’s been talking about it all afternoon!”

 

Soo knew that it was a partial lie, but she hoped Woo Hee would be able to talk to Baek Ah about it later on. Having him upset about Woo Hee wouldn’t bode very well for the wedding day, and she knew Baek Ah had the tendency to overreact.

Thankfully the rest of the day went smoothly, and everyone was able to make it home in one piece. Woo Hee returned later on with all smiles, and Soo hoped that she was doing better now. If anything else happened, she hoped that Woo Hee would confide in her again. 

But still, when she and So headed home that night, she wondered if she herself would be the right person to talk to?

Not only did she have a child to care for, she had her own issues with So being unfavored in the court. Not only that, she had to worry about Yeon Hwa and Queen Hwangbo’s next moves. To add on top of that, So was traininger her again on court matters and topics, so she really didn’t have the capacity to help another person.

It was at times like this that she thought back to what Court Lady Oh told her: the palace is a dangerous place. Truly it was, when every move is watched and questioned by others. What was seemingly a love match between Woo Hee and Baek Ah, was viewed as a political move by some, or an act of betrayal by others.

She knew that others looked at her as someone who was potentially power hungry. She had married the feared 4th prince, who had somehow gained favor with the king. She herself had also gained the king’s favor, and it was quite obvious. Now that So was named as successor to the throne, many would have viewed marrying him as a successful move. It was not uncommon for rumors to be spread, especially when concerning people who are involved in the royal family.

As she tucked Seol into bed that night, Soo resolved to steel herself once again. This was the life the heavens had given her, based on the decisions she had made. Since she had made it this far, she couldn’t lose confidence now. Looking down at the baby who was quietly sleeping, Soo knew that she wasn’t just living for herself anymore; there were a lot more people that she cared about now, and she couldn’t let them down.