Matrimony

Decisions - A Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Fanfiction

It was announced that the 3rd prince had died during his escape from the royal soldiers, and his body could not be found despite the search. The day after the announcement, Crown Prince Moo was crowned as King Hyejong. Although she was not present during the coronation, she still saw the procession from the astronomy tower, and could not help but feel pride to see So near the beginning of the parade, showing his position and favor with the new King. King Hyejong then presided over the funeral held for the late King Taejo, which had been postponed due to the escape of the 3rd prince. After a period of mourning, his first order of business was to announce Soo’s reinstatement, and her impending marriage to the 4th prince Wang So.

 

It was not much later after Soo’s reinstatement when court ladies arrived at the astronomy tower, bowing to her and informing her about the temporary residence the Crown Prince had allocated for her before her marriage.

 

“I am not quite used to being waited upon. Could you please tell me your names?”

 

The two ladies looked at each other in bewilderment before looking back at her, and then bowing again before answering her question.

 

“My name is Arang, Lady Soo.”

“And my name is Eun Bi, Lady Soo.”

 

Although she was a bit embarrassed by such treatment, the court ladies simply smiled at her and lead her to her new room.

 

It was there where a bath was drawn for her. Soo did not remember the last time she was afforded such a luxury, and it was only as the court ladies began dressing and dolling her up that she realized she was indeed a lady again. When Eun Bi asked how she wanted to do her hair and make-up, she smiled and replied that all she wanted was a simple braid, and to leave the make up to her. Although the court ladies were surprised at her simple request, they nodded and did as she bided. Living as a musuri had made her humble, and she did not want to deal with an elaborate hairstyle either. She was eager to leave her room and meet the Crown Prince to thank him, and to see her So. As they finished brushing her hair, she remembered that her hairpin was hidden among her old musuri robes. She asked Arang to fetch it, and was relieved when she had found the pin.

 

“Please place that in my hair once you are done.”

 

After her hair done, she quickly powdered her face, lined her eyes with kohl, and painted her lips a pink color as Arang and Eun Bi watched, taking note of how their lady preferred to have her make up done. Looking at her face in the mirror presented to her, she smiled before standing up and thanking the court ladies for their help, before rushing out of her room.

 

“Lady Soo, please slow down!”

 

She stopped and turned around, looking at the Arang, who had called her name.

 

“Is there something wrong?”

 

She looked down at her hanbok and then patted her hair, making sure her pin was in place. Arang and Eun Bi looked at each other before looking back at her. Arang spoke again.

 

“We are to accompany you to the throne room, your ladyship. And we were told to make sure you took care of your knee.”

“And I apologize but…we could not keep up with you,” Eun Bi added.

 

Soo blushed and grinned sheepishly. She supposed she should learn to act like a lady again, especially if she was to become the 4th prince’s wife. It would not do to have others criticize her for running around the palace. And Arang was right, she had to take care of her knee if she wanted it to get better. Thankfully, the treatments the royal physician prescribed had been working, and her knee was healing, albeit slowly.

 

“I apologize. I should be a little more considerate.”

 

She straightened her clothes before turning around and making her way to the throne room at a more lady-like pace. She had just about arrived when she saw Princess Yeon Hwa making her way towards her, so she stopped and bowed in greeting.

 

“Your highness.”

“What is this I hear about marriage to my 4th brother?”

 

She looked up to see the look of pure hatred on the princess’s face, and anger that was only barely concealed by pursed lips.

 

“It was in the final decree of the late King. I cannot disobey such a command.”

“That is preposterous! Why would my late father allow you, of all people, to marry So?”

 

Soo smiled grimly. She too had wondered what the late King saw in her, but after their several interactions, she could see he wanted to be a father, and it was only because of his title that kept him from fulfilling his parental duty. King Taejo must have seen Soo and So as his last chance at being a true father, before passing away.

 

“If I could ask him that, I would. However it is too late, and the only thing I can do is fulfill his wishes.”

 

Yeon Hwa stepped closer to Soo in a threatening manner, eyes boring holes into her face.

 

“You will refuse the marriage. You do not deserve such an honor, and for you to marry into the royal family would only bring disgrace upon my 4th brother.”

“Bold words for someone who tried to poison the Crown Prince, only to hurt So in the end.”

 

She saw the princess’s eyes flash in fear before it was replaced with a neutral expression. Soo knew that Yeon Hwa held feelings for So, but the only thing keeping her back was that marrying him might not be advantageous. Yeon Hwa had a desire for power, and nothing would stop her from doing whatever it took to get that power, even if it was at the cost of her brothers.

 

“Where did you hear that? Surely you are not foolish enough to accuse me of such a crime. You do realize the penalty is death, right?”

 

She smiled a sugary sweet smile.

 

“You have escaped death one too many times. I think it is time for you to meet your fate.”

“No one escapes death in the end, your highness. And I am not foolish enough to accuse you without any evidence.”

“Then you are spouting an empty threat. There is no evidence, especially for something that has happened over a year ago.”

“Who says I do not have evidence?”

 

The look on Yeon Hwa’s face was priceless, and Soo kept herself from grinning. Although it was a bit of a bluff, she knew that the princess could no longer hold anything against her. Now that Soo had planted the seed of doubt in her mind, they were on the same playing field. Bowing to the princess, she walked past her to the throne room, where she saw So was waiting outside. He smiled upon seeing her, and she could see his smile grow into a grin as he took note of her appearance, including the pin in her hair.

 

“Soo ya, you look beautiful.”

“Thank you, your highness.”

“What is with this ‘your highness’ again? We are engaged, and yet you are still calling me that?”

“It is a force of habit, I hope you will forgive me So ya.”

 

His frown disappeared immediately and he reached out to take her hand, pulling her closer into his arms. She could hear the gasps of Arang and Eun Bi, and gave So a reprimanding glare. He simply smiled before pecking her forehead and letting her go. Clearing , she turned to the court ladies, who had both turned their heads to give some privacy.

 

“You two may go now. I shall send for you later.”

“Yes, Lady Soo,” both chorused before bowing and scurrying off.

“Look at what you did. You scared off my ladies in waiting, and I just met them today too!”

“They will be fine. Come, let us see his majesty. He has some news to reveal to us.”

 

He took her hand in his and led them both into the throne room. Upon seeing their adjoined hands, King Hyejong smiled. Soo shook So’s hand off before bowing to greet the King. So grinned before giving a bow of his own.

 

“Greetings to the King.”

“Welcome Hae Soo, So. I presume you approve of your new quarters, Soo ya?”

“Your benevolence knows no bounds, Paeha. You know I do not need such luxuries.”

“Perhaps, but I must reserve only the best for my 4th brother’s intended. We cannot have people talking, can we?”

“Yes, Paeha.”

“However, if you would like to thank me, I would like to have tea prepared by you. I am afraid no one makes it quite like you do. What am I to do when you leave with So on your travels?”

A servant came in bearing tea preparation utensils, and Soo set on preparing the tea right away.

 

“I will make sure I teach all I know to a trusted court lady. Though, I am sure you will survive, Paeha. It is only tea after all.”

 

Both Hyejong and So chuckled at her cheekiness, and she smiled continuing with her preparation.

 

“Paeha, what is the reason for which you have called the both of us?” So asked.

“I must introduce someone. He will be presiding over the wedding ceremony, on behalf of Hae Soo.”

 

Someone from the Hae clan would be standing in for her parents? So and Soo shared a look before a eunuch entered, informing that said person had arrived. Soo quickly poured the tea before making her way to the side of the throne, bowing before looking up at the man who had entered the room.

 

He looked very noble, but she could also see he had wisdom in his eyes. Although he did not look old, she could see several graying hairs at his temple. When he looked at her, it felt like he was expecting something from her, but she could not pinpoint what it was exactly. Luckily, the King addressed him, and he turned his gaze away from her.

 

“Ah, Ambassador Hae Sung Jin. It has been awhile, has it not?”

“Greetings to the new King. I am glad to be back in Goryeo to serve you, Paeha.”

“I am glad to see you in good health. You are familiar with my 4th brother Wang So, and his betrothed Hae Soo?”

“Yes, the 4th prince and I have worked together during the time he spent as an ambassador. You are lucky to have such a loyal subject, Paeha.”

 

He gave her another look before continuing.

 

“And I know Hae Soo as well. I was close with her parents”

 

Soo’s eyes widen upon hearing him say that. She shared another look with the So before she looked back at the ambassador, who gave her a small smile before he focused back on the King who spoke again.

 

“Yes, I have heard. That is why I called you back from Khitan to preside over the wedding. She has no parents or guardians for the ceremony, so I had hoped you would stand in for them. I understand that it would be their wish for you do so.”

“It would be my honor to do so, Paeha.”

“I am pleased to hear that. I will allow you three to familiarize yourselves with each other. I am sure you all have much to discuss.

 

Soo bowed along with both men and followed them out of the throne room. What ensued afterwards was Ambassador Hae Sung Jin explaining to her about his relationship with Hae Soo’s parents, and clearing up any confusions about the arranged marriage incident years ago. He even offered to adopt her, even though he knew she was not the same person he knew before leaving for Khitan. Soo readily accepted, thankful that she now had someone who she could call family. Furthermore, through her adoptive father, she would provide So with support from the Hae clan. She would not bring dishonor upon So, and she thrilled at the idea of proving Yeon Hwa wrong. Perhaps it was a bit spiteful of her to think that way, but she figured this victory was well deserved.

 

A short week later, Hae Soo and Wang So were married. She remembered not being able to sleep the night before, but ended up falling asleep in the wee hours of the morning, only to be shaken awake a few hours later by her ladies in waiting. As she blinked groggily, she could hear them telling her they had to help her get ready for the ceremony. After bathing her with scented oils, and putting on her make-up (she was too sleepy to do it herself), they helped her into the colorful blue and red robes of a royal bride and styled her hair up before moving to place the heavy headpiece on her head. She stopped them however, and quickly placed her hairpin in her hair and securing it before allowing the placement of the headpiece. She grimaced at the weight, thankful that Arang and Eun Bi had her practice wearing and walking with it on this past week.

 

“You are all done, your highness.”

“Ey, stop that right now. I am not royalty yet.”

“Yet. But we might as well start practicing now,” Arang said cheekily.

“She is right, your highness. We do not want to be punished for making such a mistake,” Eun Bi added.

 

Soo smiled at her two ladies in waiting, noticing that they had grown bolder with her. But she had no complaints. She would rather have ladies in waiting that treated her like a good friend, rather than a noble who they could not relate to.

 

“Thank you, ladies. I don’t know what I would have done without the two of you.”

 

They both smiled and handed a mirror to her for a final inspection.

 

“If we must say so, you look positively beautiful, your highness.”

“How on earth did you cover my dark circles, Arang?”

“I only learned from the best, your highness.”

 

Soo knew Arang was referring to her, and simply smiled. She enjoyed teaching others, and was looking forward to passing on her knowledge when she became Senior Court Lady.

 

A few minutes later, a eunuch arrived at her room and informed her it was time for her departure. She was helped up from her chair by Eun Bi and Arang before they handed her the ceremonial accessory to be held in her hands. Slowly, they made their way to where the ceremony would be held. Her mind was all over the place, filled with worries as she walked. Would she be a good wife to So? Would she be able to love him as he loved her in the future? Would she have the power to support him? Would she make him happy? However, as soon as she saw So, everything flew from her mind.

 

He looked so handsome in his wedding attire, but she couldn’t help like how he looked in his normal robes instead; he was more free and comfortable that way. He grinned upon her appearance and she smiled back in return. All of her worries had vanished, and all she thought about now was finishing this ceremony so the two of them would finally be husband and wife.

 

If Soo was being honest, she did not remember much of the ceremony. She remembered seeing the happy faces of her father Sung Jin, Baek Ah, and Eun. She could feel the gaze of Queen Yoo upon her, but she kept her eyes forward as she walked by. She noticed the absence of Wook and Yeon Hwa, though she could care less. She did not see Jung anywhere, and although she wondered where he was, when she looked at So again, all other thoughts were forgotten. She felt the intensity of his eyes on her, and blushed. He smiled at her reaction and continued to stare at her when he could all throughout the ceremony. After they had taken their first bow as husband and wife, they were led to an arrangement outside where the meal and festivities would begin.

 

Once she finally took a seat, Soo let out a sigh. Although she had been practicing with the headpiece, she had never worn it for this long. Coupled with the lack of sleep, Soo was already growing tired, and the day had barely started. So looked over at her with concern and reach to grasp her hand in his.

 

“Soo ya, are you okay?”

 

She looked over at him and smiled reassuringly.

 

“Yes, I am fine. Though these ceremonial robes and headpiece are quite uncomfortable.”

 

He nodded, the beads on his headpiece shaking and clinking together.

 

“I feel the same. I cannot wait to take this thing off. I can barely see through it and these robes make me feel like an overgrown peacock.”

“You look like a very handsome overgrown peacock though.”

 

The newlywed couple laughed at each other’s antics before returning their attention forward, where the dance and music performances were taking place. So kept her hand in his the entire time, only removing it when he moved to place more food on her plate. When they were finally allowed to retreat to their quarters, he led them there himself, hand gently but firmly still grasping hers. Although they were assisted by servants, So sent them away after they entered their chambers, and for that Soo was thankful. That day had been tiring, and she did not want to be fussed over. Truth be told, all she wanted to do was get out of her stuffy robes and sleep for an entire day.

 

When So came back to the room, Soo had already taken off her wedding attire and was sitting in front of the mirror wiping away her make-up for the day. He too took off his headpiece before making his way over and giving her a hug from behind.

 

“How are you feeling, my wife?”

“Tired, but content, husband.”

 

It seemed so strange to call each other that. And she could see So was a bit unused to such titles as well.

 

“I think I will keep calling you So ya. Seobangnim sounds too formal to me.”

“And I shall keep calling you Soo ya.”

 

She had finished removing her make-up and turned to pull So down to the chair next to hers. After wetting a clean cloth, she turned to wipe away his concealer, only to be stopped by his hand.

 

“Soo ya, you do not have to do this.”

“But I want to. What difference does it make if I am putting on or taking off your make up?”

 

He did not answer, and Soo surmised he was still a bit self-conscious about his scar.

 

“I do not want to remind you what kind of person you have married,” he finally said softly.

 

She smiled before leaning in to place a peck on his lips, before pulling away, though not very far. Their eyes met and she could see the surprise in his.

 

“Soo ya.”

“I have told you before, and I shall tell you again and again until you believe me. I have never seen your scar as anything other than a symbol of your survival, through all the hardships you have endured. If I took that scar away, I would not be marrying the same man I have come to care for. You are more than your scar, So ya, and I hope you can see that one day without me having to remind you.”

 

He smiled at her words of encouragement and pulled her closer for another kiss. This time he was the one who pulled away to see her look of surprise.

 

“I suppose I really am yours now. All right, you may do as you may.”

 

He closed his eyes and waited for her to wipe away his make-up. Soo chuckled and proceeded to do so. After she had finished, both changed into their sleep wear and finished washing up before going to bed. Albeit it was a bit strange to sleep in the same bed, but after So had enveloped her in his arms, Soo decided she could get used to this. Having someone to hug her close and providing warmth while she slept, was something she wasn’t sure she would have ever again, especially after her modern day ex had cheated on her. However, as she laid with So, hearing his heartbeat and steady breathing, she knew she would never have to worry about such things again. So would be loyal to her, and she in turn would be loyal to him.

 

“Soo ya.”

 

She thought he had fallen asleep with how steady his breathing had been.

 

“Yes, So ya?”

“I wanted to tell you something, and you do not have to reply until you are ready.”

“What is it?”

“I love you.”

 

Soo stiffened slightly and pulled away to look at So’s face. However, his eyes were closed and she could see that there was a slight blush on his face, despite the low lighting provided by a few candles. She realized So was nervous, despite the confession. Soo smiled and snuggled closer to So, feeling his arms tighten around her.

 

“Thank you,” she said before closing her eyes.

 

Although Soo was not confident about her feelings for the 4th prince, she could already feel herself falling in love with him. However, she wanted to wait until she was completely sure before returning his declaration with one of her own. And she had a feeling he would not have to wait long before she did so.


Thank you for reading, and don't forget to comment and share :)