His Adopted Daughter

Decisions - A Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Fanfiction

Hae Sung Jin did not know what to expect when he returned to Goryeo. It had been many years since he had stepped onto its soil, as he had been away as an indefinite ambassador. Although he had a home, he had no one to greet him aside from his few servants, all who he kept to simply keep his residence clean while he was away. His beloved wife had passed away shortly after they were married, taking their unborn child with them. Although he had been urged to remarry so as to extend his family line, he simply could not bring himself to do it. And so he doted upon the daughter of his trusted cousin Hae Chul, and his wife Eun Ju.

 

He had been away when he received news of Hae Chul and Eun Ju’s death. Both had been attacked by bandits on the way home from their travels, and it was only by a miracle that Hae Soo had survived, hiding in the bushes, where her parents had no doubted hidden her before they died. He was unable to return to take care of the child due to his duties, but he was relieved when she had been taken under the care of Hae Myung Hee, her 6th cousin who had married the 8th prince. He had received updates on Soo’s life as she grew, but it was suddenly halted when Myung Hee grew sicker. It was a year later that he learned of her death, and he was left to speculate what had become of Chul and Eun Ju’s daughter.

 

As he looked up at the entrance of the palace, he wondered where that child was now. Had she grown into a beautiful young woman? Had she lived a good life until now? Was she married?

Imagine to his surprise after he had been announced by the eunuch, as he stepped into the throne room to see the very girl he had been thinking about. She had been serving tea to King Hyejong, and upon his entrance, she retreated to the side with her head bowed down. When she looked up at him, he could not see any sign of recognition in her eyes. Although it had been many years, surely she would still remember him?

 

“Ah, Ambassador Hae Sung Jin. It has been awhile, has it not?”

 

He shook off his surprise and turned to great the King properly. He had known Crown Prince Moo and was glad to see he was doing well as King, though it had not been very long. He hoped the late King Taejo had died in peace.

 

“Greetings to the new King. I am glad to be back in Goryeo to serve you, Paeha.”

“I am glad to see you in good health. You are familiar with my 4th brother Wang So, and his betrothed Hae Soo?”

 

He looked up to see the King gesture to the two people to his right. He did not notice the 4th prince as he entered, only seeing Soo as he did so. When had she been betrothed, and to the 4th prince no less? Why did he not hear of this? However, he supposed she was of age to marry, and it had been awhile since he had heard anything regarding Soo. His gaze met with that of the 4th prince, and he smiled.

 

“Yes, the 4th prince and I have worked together during the time he spent as an ambassador. You are lucky to have such a loyal subject, Paeha.”

 

He swallowed before continuing.

 

“And I know Hae Soo as well. I was close with her parents”

 

He saw the girl’s eyes widen upon hearing him say that. She shared a look with the 4th prince before she looked back at him. He gave her a smile before he focused back on the King who spoke again

 

“Yes, I have heard. That is why I called you back from Khitan to preside over the wedding. She has no parents or guardians for the ceremony, so I had hoped you would stand in for them. I understand that it would be their wish for you do so.”

“It would be my honor to do so, Paeha.”

“I am pleased to hear that. I will allow you three to familiarize yourselves with each other. I am sure you all have much to discuss.”

 

They all bowed to King Hyejong before the three retreated from the throne room. It was only after they had exited the throne room, and were sitting outside on a pavilion that Sung Jin allowed himself to address Hae Soo.

 

“Hae Soo, how have you been child? It has been many years since I have seen you last.”

“I apologize for not recognizing you, Uncle. I lost my memories due to an accident at Damiwon a few years ago. I am afraid I have not regained any of my memories prior to that accident.”

 

His heart dropped to hear that piece of news. So that was why she did not recognize him. She had no idea about how much her parents loved her, nor any memory of who he was. Although she looked fine now, it was clear Soo had gone through many hardships while he was gone.

 

“Is that so? Are you all right now?”

“Yes, uncle. I am fine now. It is all thanks to Paeha and So…I mean the 4th prince that I have survived.”

 

He saw her blush at referring to her betrothed so informally in front of him, and the smile that formed upon the 4th prince’s face at her mistake. Although it was surprising to see the 4th prince look at Soo in that manner, Sung Jin could see that the prince cared deeply for the child. It was quite different from the manner he had carried himself as an ambassador, and he presumed that the lady he had mentioned briefly during his stay in Khitan, was in fact Hae Soo. He turned his attention to the 4th prince now.

 

“I must thank you, your highness, for taking care of Hae Soo. Although she does not remember, I have always seen her as my own daughter, especially after her parents passed away. Despite being unable to visit for many years, I have always kept her on my mind.”

 

The 4th prince bowed his head in acknowledgement.

 

“You do not need to thank me at all. I care very much for Hae Soo and will do my best to keep her safe and happy.”

 

Sung Jin nodded wordlessly as he took a sip of his tea.

 

“But seeing how you care for her as a father, I suppose I should ask for your permission to marry her?”

“But you already have permission of the King. Why do you need mine?”

 

The 4th prince smirked at his question.

 

“Surely you are not going to give Soo away that easily, especially if you see her as your own daughter.”

 

He had to give it to the 4th prince. He was a lot more astute and smarter than Sung Jin gave him credit for. Furthermore, he appreciated the fact that the prince was considerate of his feelings.

 

“I will of course give my consent. I can see the both of you care for each other very much, and a marriage to the royal family would not hurt the Hae clan.

 

At the mention of marriage, the expressions of the couple turned grim. It was then that Sung Jin realized he had mentioned the wrong thing. It was only several years ago when his foolish brothers had jumped on the opportunity to marry into the royal family, and sacrificing Hae Soo to the late King no less!

 

“Did you condone to the marriage of Hae Soo to the late King?!”

 

The 4th prince was tense, and Sung Jin could see his fists balled up, shaking in anger.

 

“No, I did not. I must apologize on behalf of my foolish brothers, although it is late. I have always told them that their greed for power would lead to their ruin. By the time I had received the news, I prepared to return to Goryeo immediately. However, just as I was about to leave, I received another letter about the banishment of my brothers from Songak.”

 

With the banishment of his brothers, the Hae Clan lost prestige and power. As a result, he thought it would be best if he stayed in Khitan to calm down things with the rumor of treason. Although it had been true that his brothers met up with the noble ministers of Khitan, it was simply about improving their trade, instead of talk about war that was falsely spread. He saw Soo place a hand on arm of the 4th prince, who calmed down and relaxed in his seat again. He looked apologetic for his outburst.

 

“I apologize for suspecting you. Hae Soo nearly lost her life at the time for trying to avoid marriage.”

“You speak too much, your highness. I was fine,” Soo interjected quickly, glancing at Sung Jin.

 

She had risked her life? Both Sung Jin and the 4th prince turned to her, eyes worried.

 

“You cut your wrist with porcelain so you could get a scar. That was the only thing that prevented my father from marrying you!”

 

Sung Jin’s eyes widened to hear that. The child had willingly put herself in harm’s way to avoid marriage? Although he thought it was reckless, he could not help but admire Hae Soo for her courage.

 

“That was the only thing I could do. When you told him about my uncles meeting with Khitan, that didn’t even stop him!”

 

Both men kept silent with her words.

 

“Furthermore,” she grumbled, “my marriage to you will not give the Hae clan any power. I have been an orphan for a while, and after my stunt, I was no longer acknowledged as part of the clan. So there is no reason for you to be upset. I’m sure Uncle Sung Jin did not mean anything of it besides a jest, when he said it would give the Hae clan more power.”

 

The 4th prince cleared his throat before reaching for a drink of his tea. Sung Jin held in a chuckle. He knew the 4th prince was hotheaded, but was proud of Hae Soo for being able to calm him down. The two complimented each other perfectly, and would be unstoppable together.

 

“I am afraid I have embarrassed myself in front of you today, Ambassador Hae.”

“Do not mind me, your highness. I know you were only concerned for Hae Soo, and nothing warms me more than to see that you care for her. I could not marry her off to anyone else better.”

 

He took another sip of his tea before addressing the couple sitting across from him.

 

“Furthermore, if you would like the support of the Hae Clan behind you, your highness, I would be happy to do what I have been wanting to do for some time now: adopt Hae Soo as my daughter.”

 

The two looked at each other before looking back at him, and he continued to speak.

 

“Hae Soo, I am sure you have heard I was very close with your father and mother.”

 

She nodded at his words, and he continued to speak.

 

“It is true. Your father and I grew up together, and when he married your mother, I could not be happier for him. After my own wife and child died due to sickness, they allowed me to help them raise you, and I too saw you as my own daughter. I was away when your parents passed, and could not return to adopt you before Myung Hee took you in herself. If you will allow it, I will adopt you under my name, and the Hae clan will support you and the 4th prince. We will provide assistance whenever it is needed.”

“Then what about the incident of the Hae clan conspiring with Khitan?”

 

He was not surprised to hear the 4th prince ask about that.

 

“That was simply a rumor. My brothers were meeting with Khitan ministers about trade, not about taking over the throne. I hope to rectify the Hae name through the adoption and your marriage as well. Due to my brothers’ foolishness, our noble reputation has been lost. We have worked hard to stay loyal to the royal family and will continue to do so.”

 

Soo was the first one to speak.

 

“I would like that very much.”

“Soo ya..”

 

She smiled reassuringly at the 4th prince.

 

“Ever since Myung Hee passed away, I have not had any family to call my own.”

 

The 4th prince began to protest, but he was stopped yet again by Soo.

 

“I know you were with me, but there were times where you could not be,” she said before looking at Sung Jin.

 

He was hit by how similar she looked to her mother, but also his trusted cousin Chul. To think she had grown into this beautiful woman in front of him, with the power to tame the so-called “wolf prince”, made him proud. It made him even prouder that he would soon be able to call her his daughter.

 

“You must have cared about my family very much, Uncle.”

“I did and still do; you can have no doubt of that.”

“Then I will look forward to becoming your adopted daughter. I suppose I should call you father now?”

 

She grinned and Sung Jin could not help but do the same. This child was light itself, brightening all those who met her. He could not wait to learn more about her, and her life while he had been away.

 

“I will speak to Paeha about the adoption. I am sure he would be happy to become in-laws with the Hae clan again. Your clan has done a loyal service in guarding the border for many years.”

“Thank you, your highness.”

 

He saw the 4th prince smile before Soo leaned forward, garnering Sung Jin’s attention.

 

“Abeoji, because I have lost my memories, you must tell me: what is your favorite tea and snack?”

 

He chuckled to hear her innocent question, and the rest of the afternoon was spent with his adopted daughter and soon-to-be son, as he told stories about Soo’s parents, and his travels in Khitan. Although he did not say it, he remembered when he had gone to an astronomer, back when Soo was barely 3 years old. The astronomer had told him Soo had the star of a queen, despite only being a noble lady. Sung Jin pleaded to the astronomer to never repeat what he had told him. He did not even tell Chul or Eun Ju, but kept this information to himself, because he was afraid of the harm that would befall the child and her family, should anyone find out and use it against them.

 

Now that he was sitting here in front of Soo and the 4th prince, he could see that the astronomer’s words held truth. Soo had somehow against all odds survived all the obstacles thrown at her, and now she was betrothed to the 4th prince, Wang So. Although he did not know what would happen in the future, he knew at least one thing: Soo and So were destined to do great things.


Thank you for reading ,and I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving (if you celebrate) with your family and friends! Please share and comment if you can :)