Farewell

Decisions - A Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Fanfiction

Seol had not been expecting any guests that day, however when one of her house servants announced Ji Mong, she felt the anxiety grow but gathered herself and asked him to be admitted right away. When he came into the room, his expression made her heart drop to her stomach. She knew her mother had not been doing well, especially since she had only come back from the palace last night. 

 

“Ji Mong, what brings you here?”

“Greetings to the 1st princess,” Ji Mong said solemnly before giving a bow and straightening up. “I am afraid I must ask you to come to the palace right away.”

“Did father send for me?”

 

Ji Mong nodded before saying quietly, “Hwang Hoo does not have much time left, your highness.”

 

Seol steeled herself and nodded stiffly.

 

“I will be outside in a minute after informing my husband.”

 

Ji Mong bowed and left the room. Seol quickly followed him out the door and rushed as swiftly as she could to her husband’s study. He was surprised to see her burst into the room and stood up quickly from his desk when she entered.

 

“What is the matter, Seol ah?”

“Mother is not well,” Seol said quietly as her eyes met Taek Geun’s. He frowned as he heard those words

“But you were just there last night. Did you not say she seemed to be getting better?

“That was what I thought as well, but Ji Mong is bearing different news today,” Seol said with tears in her eyes before Taek Geun pulled her in for a hug.

 

“You must go to her quickly. Take my horse when you go and I will stay here with the children. Don’t worry about anything else.”

 

He pulled away and placed a chaste kiss on her forehead before leading her to the stables and helping her onto the steed.

 

“Send them my greetings when you arrive,” Taek Geun said before Seol nodded and flicked the reins, following Ji Mong who was already waiting outside their home.  They rode swiftly on the trails toward the palace, and Seol could only pray that she made it in time.

 

That morning had been sunny, but on her way to the palace, the sky started to grow dark with gray clouds. By the time she arrived at the palace it had started to drizzle and thunder. When she arrived at the gates, she hurried to climb down from her horse to meet Ju who was waiting at the entrance. 

 

His face was dark as she approached him and she reached out to grasp his hand.

 

“Ju ya, are you all right?”

 

He tried to smile, but failed to do so. 

 

“I wish I could say I was, but I think all of us have been worried about mother for some time now. I know she was trying to convince us she was getting better, but it is apparent now that is no longer the case.”

“What about the girls? Do they know about mother’s condition?”

“They know she is not well, but were able to speak to her this morning. They are in their own quarters now. Given their age, father was worried about how they would react…”

 

Ju shook his head before looking again at his sister’s concerned expression.

 

“I think you should see mother now. Come, father is waiting for you as well.”

 

All Seol could do was nod and follow her younger brother to the familiar quarters that belonged to her parents. As she and Ju were announced, the doors opened to a very familiar and nostalgic room, one where Seol had spent many happy evenings enjoying dinner with her parents. However, the mood was heavy as they entered. As her eyes adjusted to the dim lighting, she saw her mother was laying in the bed with her eyes closed and her father was sitting next to the bedside, holding one of her mother’s hands. So continued to stare at Soo’s sleeping face while Seol drew nearer, and it was only when she was standing right beside him did he turn to look at her.

 

“Ah Seol ah, you have arrived. I am glad you could make it. Your mother has been resting this morning but I wanted her to surprise her with your visit.”

 

Seol could tell her father was attempting to lighten up the mood, so she played along.

 

“Yes, father. I am glad you called for me so that I may do so,” Seol said quietly as she took in her father’s appearance.

 

So was known for this immaculate appearance ever since getting married to Soo. However, when Seol looked at her father now, she could tell he had seen better days. Although his hair was in a sangtu, it seemed like he hadn’t taken it down in days, and she could see the loose hairs falling from the bun. He had dark circles under bloodshot eyes as if he had not slept a wink the night before, or for several nights for that matter.

 

“What of Taek Geun? Did he not come with you?” So asked quietly, now looking back towards Soo again.

“He is at home making sure the children are looked after. He sends his greetings, father.”

 

So smiled softly as he continued to hold Soo’s hand in his own.

 

“Although I did not approve at first, I know now he is a good man. Your mother was right when she said he would take care of you and the children.”

 

Seol cracked a smile and remembered how much her father disapproved of their relationship at first. It was only after some prodding from her mother that he finally gave his blessings. Growing up, her father was as stern as he was affectionate. Despite this, Seol found her mother always had the last say in everything because her father had a soft spot for her, one that no one else would dare compete for. 

 

It was at that moment that Soo’s eyes fluttered and she slowly opened her eyes, blinking sleepily. Her eyes roamed the room before they focused on that of Seol’s.

 

“Seol ah, come here my lovely daughter,” she said so softly it was barely audible. Seol stepped forward and kneeled by the bedside to be closer to her mother. Soo smiled and reached her free hand out to caress Seol’s cheek. Seol reached up to hold her mother’s hand and smiled.

 

“You have grown up so well, along with Ju ya. You both have helped your younger sisters grow up in the palace. Aji, Bo Hwa, and Mun Deok have all grown well too and listen to us. Your father and I are so proud of all of you,” Soo said before looking over Seol’s head to see Ju approach the bed.

 

“My son…”

“I am here, mother,” he said as he knelt down by Seol. Soo’s hand moved from Seol’s face to hold Ju’s outstretched hand, and she grasped it as tightly as she could. Even then, Ju could tell that his mother did not have much strength left in her.

 

“I know you will be a wise king one day, just as your father has been. I will remember you when I leave. I will remember everyone…for you all are my people.”

 

They all saw Soo’s eyes return back to So’s face. They both shared a smile before she closed her eyes for the last time. 

 

There was a moment of silence as everyone stared in shock, before they heard a voice.

 

“Soo ya!”

 

So dropped from where he was sitting in his chair and leaned over her, holding her face in his hands.

 

“Soo ya…my Soo ya…”

 

He continued to chant Soo’s name in anguish with a bowed head as the tears began to stream down his face, his entire body wracking with every sob. Seol gasped and dropped down from her kneel onto the floor, tears working down her face as well. She turned to Ju and buried her face in his shoulder as he too cried silently.

 

Arang and Eun Bi also shed tears for their empress as they saw her family mourning at her bedside. They vowed to continue doing their best at keeping Damiwon in tip top shape, just as Soo had always taught them how to do.

 

Outside, the heavens poured as if it were too mourning the passing of a beloved person. It continued to rain for many days afterward. After So announced the news and word made its way to the rest of the kingdom, everyone too mourned the passing of a benevolent and beautiful empress.

 

So commissioned a grand tomb for Soo following her funeral. Around it, he ordered for peonies to be grown and visited every day no matter the time as soon as his schedule permitted it. He would stand there staring at her name engraved on the stone for a long time before returning to his quarters. The rest of the royal family would make frequent visits to Soo’s resting place and offer their prayers as well. 

 

When Aji, Bo Hwa, and Mun Deok were given the news of their mother, they were confused at first, and then sad upon realization of the truth. Although they were young, they knew that their mother would no longer be present in their lives. Seol and Ju did their best to console them, and continued to look after their upbring while their father was busy.

 

So made time to see his children more after Soo’s death, knowing how precious his time with them was. Although his mood did improve with time, everyone knew he would never be the same again without his Soo.

 

One day after several years, Seol organized a gathering with her family and invited all of her close relatives, including Eun, Seon Deok, Baek Ah, Woo Hee, as well as Jung, and Wook with their wives and children. She had also managed to find some time in her father’s schedule to invite him. She decorated the large gazebo and made sure everyone had their favorite foods. 

 

As she looked around at the Damiwon ladies putting on the finishing touches, she remembered how it was when her mother threw her own gatherings. It was during times like now as she prepared to host this family event, when she read a poem, or saw the first peony bloom of the year, that she was most reminded of her mother.

 

“This looks like a grand party,” Taek Geun commented as he made his presence known. He had just finished his lessons with the princesses and they all went to freshen up before the gathering.

 

“Yes, I don’t think I have done anything like this before on my own. I always had help from my mother.”

“I am positive she would have been proud of you!”

 

Soo smiled brightly and turned to address the Damiwon court lady who had approached to ask for her opinion regarding which plates should be used. After confirming that decision, she walked down the gazebo to look at the table setting. As she grew nearer, she saw another court lady place a large vase of peonies on the table as a centerpiece. She reached out to touch the velvet soft petals and admired their bright pink color.

 

“Can you see this mother? We are all doing well here, although we miss you very much. I hope you are happy wherever you are, and that we can meet again in another life.”

 

A nearby court lady heard Seol speak and came up to her side.

 

“I apologize, your highness. Did you ask for something?”

 

Seol turned to her in slight surprised but composed herself quickly

 

“No, I do not need anything. Thank you for your efforts.”

 

The court lady smiled and bowed before going back to her task. With one last glance at the vase of peonies, Seol turned around to see her uncles trickle in and made her way to greet them. It was her job now to host and she vowed she would do her best to fill her mother’s shoes.