The Future

Decisions - A Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Fanfiction

The first few years of So’s reign were difficult to say the least. Although his reputation had somewhat improved, there was still a lot of opposition, especially from the court. Combined with Soo’s modern ideals, the two rulers faced quite a bit of difficulty.

As if that wasn’t enough, there had to be a rebellion as well. Prime Minister Wang Gyu decided he had enough and managed to convince several small clans to stand behind him, in order to support the enthronement of Eun after overthrowing So. Of course, this never progressed very far, as Eun being the loyal brother he was, warned So of it early on so they could prepare. He even went as far as renouncing his grandfather in court when it came time for them to confront the rebellion.

The next big opposition was the slave emancipation. After King Taejo had unified the three kingdoms, many nobles who were loyal to the crown became slaves to the newly instated nobles. So and Soo had seen the quality of life these citizens led, and it was one of the major changes they wanted to see during their reign.

Not only did these citizens have to serve the nobles, they had to pay taxes to their enslaver. However, So and Soo found it ridiculous that not only was their freedom taken away, their livelihoods were spent paying their masters. By emancipating them, not only would they gain freedom to work for whoever they pleased, it would weaken the nobles who only stirred So’s ire. There were concerns of course. Although many of the factions who were on the side of the king had long ago released their slaves, and those now deemed as servants had continued to work for their former masters out of gratitude. 

With the emancipation, current slaves were now emancipated and no longer had to pay taxes to their enslaves. They simply only had to pay taxes to the crown to ensure their livelihood was taken care of. Most sought work in the palace or chose to seek other nobles to serve. Of course this did much to improve So’s reputation outside the place walls, and he felt the continued disdain from his enemies was worth it.

It was only after that did they have some time to relax. But only a little. They could only do so much with two children in the palace now.

Wang Ju was born not long after So and Soo ascended the throne. As the first son, he was naturally declared the crown prince at his birth. Ha Jin had remembered incidences of children being jealous of their younger siblings in the modern world, but Seol had been the opposite. It seemed she had known Soo was pregnant with Ju before she knew herself.  Seol was barely 2 years old when Ju was born, and she loved him immediately. She also had no ambition to rule, simply wishing for a stable life with her family.

Seol was now 15, and Ju 13. Both were sitting through their royal lessons in the afternoon that day. It was not common for the princess to have the same education as a prince, but their parents were adamant both received an equal education, especially Soo. It was a sort of scandal when the rest of the court eventually found out, but with a few choice words from their king, the rumors ceased to spread. 

When their tutor gave them time to complete an assignment, Wang Ju immediately turned to his sister, who was hard at work to finish the assignment.

 

“Psst...Noo-ie..Noo-ie!”

 

Seol calmly addressed her younger brother as her eyes continued to read the text in front of her.

 

“What is it Ju ya?”

“Do you think father will be joining us for dinner tonight?”

“That is hard to say, Ju ya. You know father is very busy these days with establishing the National Civil Service Examinations.”

 

Ju slumped in his seat, but did not care it looked unbecoming of a crown prince. It had been several weeks since they had their meals only with each other and their mother. Even then sometimes their mother would join their father during those late nights deliberating, and meals would oftentimes be just the two royal children.

 

“But mother said that he would be joining us tonight, and you know she never lies!”

 

So had by this point taken a break from his duties to check on his children; even he knew it had been a long time since he had seen them, and with Soo mentioning how dispirited Ju had been, he knew it was about time he gave himself some quality time with Seol and Ju.

He just happened to arrive at the gazebo where the princess and crown prince were studying when he heard Ju say that, and gave a signal not to be announced as was per protocol. He cleared his throat before speaking as he walked up the steps.

 

“You are correct, Crown Prince Ju. Your mother indeed does not lie.”

 

Both children stood up immediately from their seats and bowed to him. 

 

“The 1st princess greets Seol greets you Paeha.”

“The crown prince Ju greets you as well, Paeha.”

 

After several seconds, both looked up to see the twinkling look in their father’s eyes and knew it was okay for them to relax. While behind doors their family life was with no doubt less formal, they had to keep a certain image as the royal family with the royal servants about.

Ju grinned and walked up to So excitedly, Seol following behind with a smile on her face as well.

 

“Is it really true, father? Will you be able to join us for dinner tonight?”

 

So chuckled and nodded, see the faces of his children grow even brighter. Ju turned to his elder sister with a smug face.

 

“I knew mother was telling the truth!”

 

Seol frowned slightly before retorting.

 

“I never said she was not telling the truth; you know how things are with father's schedule. It can be changed at the last minute. As mother always says, it is best not to count your chickens before they are hatched.”

 

It was a line that did not exist in their time, but rather something Soo had brought along with her when she arrived, as with many other things she introduced into this world. Although Seol and Ju did not know the full extent of their mother’s background, So and Soo had planned to tell them both more when they were a bit older.

 

“Your sister is also correct, Ju ya. Although your mother told you I would join dinner tonight, which I will, things may change as they have in the past. However I will guarantee that we shall have a family meal tonight. Now, what have you been studying?”

 

So walked over to the seat where their tutor had previously occupied and sat down. When the King joined his children for their studies, the royal servants knew to keep a distance and to not interfere. Seol and Ju took their seats again before reciting what they had been taught that morning.

Later that evening, as promised, the royal children were joined by both of their parents for dinner. In fact, Soo was the last one to arrive which was quite rare, So usually being the late one. When she arrived at their chambers, she was surprised to see So had already taken a seat at the table and was currently talking amiably with Seol and Ju.

 

“So ya, you finished early today?”

“I was informed by Ju that you told him I would be present at our meal tonight. I could not have you break your word.”

“Father even joined us for our lesson in the afternoon, mother!” Seol said happily. 

“Is that so,” Soo said as she took her seat at the table. “That must mean negotiations have gone well today.”

“Indeed, but that can be discussed at a later time. Why were you late today, Soo ya?”

“I had to inspect Damiwon today and it took a bit longer than usual. Eun Bi and Arang recently hired a few new maids and I wanted to supervise them today to see how they were doing.”

 

The royal children waited until their parents had taken their first bite before picking up their own utensils to eat. And as per usual, a side dish was already placed on top of their rice by each of their parents. The table was quiet for a few minutes, save for the sounds of utensils and eating. However, after some time, Seol hesitantly set her chopsticks down and waited for her parent’s attention, which was given quite quickly. So looked at her with concern,

 

“Seol ah, why are you not eating? Is the food not to your taste?”

 

Soo reached out to place a hand on her daughter’s forehead, frowning.

 

“She doesn’t seem to have a fever…”

 

Seol had to hold in a laugh, already used to her parents constant worrying.

 

“No mother, father. The food is delicious as always, and I am not ill. I simply had a request.”

 

Soo and So looked at each other before turning their gaze back to their eldest child. She was not accustomed to having requests, so it was a bit of a surprise to her parents to hear her so serious.

 

“And what would that be, Seol ah?” Soo asked encouragingly.

“As you know, my birthday is tomorrow and it happens to coincide with the lantern festival….I was hoping that I would be able to attend?”

“Is there a certain reason you would want to attend? There are plenty of celebrations within the palace for that,” So asked curiously. Although he was not against Seol leaving the palace, it wondered why she decided to venture out now.

 

It was at this time that Seol chose to blush, and before she could explain herself, Ju interjected with a teasing smile. 

 

“It must be because of Taek Geun!”

 

Seol looked at her brother in horror as her face grew even redder, not helping her case.

 

“Ju ya, that is not the reason why I want to attend the lantern festival! You know how I feel about him anyways, he is simply too immature!”

 

Taek Geun was the son of a noble who closely worked with Soo’s father Sung Jin. He was a bright and intelligent teenager, and although neither parent was adverse to him, they wanted to wait a few more years before giving Seol away to marriage. Soo and So shared another glance, but continued to stay silent as they waited for Seol to explain her reason. She looked back at her parents with a sheepish look.

 

“The truth is...mother told me about the time when you both snuck outside the palace to attend the lantern festival. I wanted to experience it like you did...not just by myself but with our family as well.”

 

Soo and So knew exactly what moment their daughter was talking about. It had been early into their reign when they had the hardest time with the opposing clans. So was mentally exhausted that night when Soo came into the throne room with two masks in hand, and convinced him to escape just for a little while.

He ended up forgetting his worries for a few hours, but also received a “pep talk” (as Soo called it), and returned to court the next day with a new strategy to head against the ministers. He was surprised Soo had told Seol about that, though it did not bother him the least.

 

“Was there a reason why you told that story, Soo ya?”

“The children were a bit down. You hadn’t been able to join us for dinner, so I told them of that story during a time when you were also similarly occupied with the court. I did not realize it would lead to this request, though I should have expected it,” Soo said with a knowing smile.

 

Seol and Ju saw their mother’s expression and looked at their father in earnest. So noticed their hopeful gazes and pretended to ponder about it.

 

“A lantern festival would be quite dangerous and the times are different now than when your mother and I were younger. We cannot travel with many guards, and if anything were to happen, we would be revealed quite quickly…”

 

“But father, you are the strongest warrior in the nation! Who else would be better to protect us?” Ju said with pride. Although he was still young and in training, he hoped to be like his father one day.

 

Seol nodded in full agreement before pitching her two cents as well. 

 

“Yes, we will be very careful, father! Can we please go?”

 

Soo decided to play along with the children in trying to convince So to allow them their outing, although she already knew what his answer would be.

 

“It has been some time since we’ve visited the village. Perhaps it is time we do another inspection of our citizens…”

 

So pretended to consider it a little more before giving a definitive nod.

 

“All right, we can go to the lantern festival. However, we must be very careful and stick close to  one another. If I see any potential risk or sign of danger, we will be heading straight back to the palace.”

 

Seol was so excited So had allowed their outing that she left out of her chair to give him a hug. 

 

“Oh, thank you so much father! I know it’ll be the funnest birthday I’ve had yet!”

 

So chuckled and returned her embrace, meeting Soo’s gaze who was looking at them warmly.

 

“All right now, Seol. Let us finish dinner now and then get ready for bed. If your father wants to be able to take us out on your birthday, I know he will have to get extra work done tonight to do so.”

 

Seol pulled away guilty to look at her mother before back at her father.

 

“Is...is that true father? Perhaps we shouldn’t go tomorrow…”

“Your mother is right, however it is not much work I have to get done. Do not fret, Seol ah.”

“Is there anything I can do to help?”

“You just worry about getting a good night’s rest. If we are to see the lantern festival tomorrow, I don’t want to worry about you falling asleep while we are outside the palace. That would make my job protecting us a bit more difficult, no?”

 

Seol nodded resolutely before sitting back down to quickly but gracefully finish her dinner as a princess would. After waiting for Ju to finish his meal, she hustled him to bed, but not before bidding her parents a good night with her younger brother.

As Soo watched their children leave the chambers, she let out a light laugh.

 

“It seems you have made the children very happy today, Paeha,” she said teasingly.

 

So responded with a chuckle as he got up from his seat and offered a hand to Soo, who accepted it. 

 

“I suppose I have been very busy as of late. It is good to see them again in high spirits.”

“I hope you will entertain them more often, now that things have settled down in court,” Soo said softly as they walked to the royal study. She would be helping So finish off any work for the night so they could freely enjoy Seol’s birthday the next day.

“Of course, I shall endeavor to do my best. But you know how the royal court can get...sometimes I wonder why I even agreed to be king. It seems I never have any time with you or the children anymore.”

 

As they entered the study, Soo turned to look at So with a frown.

 

“Do you regret becoming king, So ya?”

“At times, I do think of it. How different would our lives be if I had not ascended the throne?”

“But do you regret what you have done for our people?”

“No, of course not!” So protested with his answer given immediately.

 

Soo smiled and reached up to brush some stray hairs that had escaped his sangtu.

 

“Then you must also know that I do not regret it either. Our children admire you for your job, and so do our people. Yes, our lives would have been every different if you were not king, but would it have been easier? Perhaps, but not necessarily. As long as you try to care for them, and to make time for them, they will appreciate it all the same. Seol and Ju are old enough now to understand what a taxing role their father plays. They will not resent you for it, and neither shall I.”

 

So smiled gratefully before bending down to give Soo a kiss. 

 

“How do you always know what to say?”

“Well, I am your wife, and I have known you for many years now. I would hope I know what to say,” Soo said with a grin.

 

So chuckled and gave her another quick kiss before they both turned toward their respective desks to get some work done for the night. They wanted to make sure they could spend Seol’s birthday carefree as possible.


A/N: I apologize for the confusion, but the correct spelling for a male referring to an elder sister is Noo-ie, not Noonie as I have previously used the past; I will correct this when I have the time ^^;;;

Thank you again for your continued patience. With these tough times, I have been busier than expected and have not had time to update as often as I would like. Wishing my readers health and safety!