The Solution

Decisions - A Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Fanfiction

 

That night when the 4th couple retired to their bed chambers, Soo eagerly waited until So had settled down before revealing her idea to him.

"So ya, I have a question."

"Yes, Soo ya, what is the matter?"

"Are you aware of Baek Ah and Woo Hee's affection for each other?"

He chuckled and nodded, looking at Soo fondly.

"If you can see it, I would hope I could see it."

"It is quite obvious, isn't it?"

"It is, but what do you really want to ask me about? Surely it isn't about whether or not they have feelings for each other. That much is as clear as day."

Soo had been so excited about asking So earlier in the evening, but suddenly she wondered if it would be all right for him to adopt the former princess. Even if he was the confirmed candidate for the heir to the throne, wouldn't this hurt his reputation even more? Most of the ministers already did not like him...what would they say if he adopted the member of the former royal family, the very one his father overthrew to create Goryeo as it was today?

"Soo ya, what is the matter? Is everything well?"

Soo nodded, albeit hesitantly. It wouldn't hurt to ask, right?

"Are you also aware that Baek Ah aims to have Woo Hee adopted into a good family?"

So raised his eyebrows slightly, and shook his head in the negative.

"It seems that they have been unsuccessful," Soo said slowly, trying to gauge her husband's reaction.

So frowned before tilting his head in disappointment.

"I am not surprised to hear that. Most families are hesitant to adopt strangers, and when they find out that the stranger was part of the former royal family, many would not take the risk."

"Do you know of anyone who would be willing to adopt Woo Hee?"

"That would be a bit difficult, even for me. Even if I have expanded my relations since the day I first came here, I would be very hard pressed to ask any of them to adopt Woo Hee, especially considering their conservative standards"

"But..!"

"I know it is not her fault she was born in the previous royal family before my father took over. But you also have to think about how they would feel, Soo ya."

Soo slumped down and nodded, still upset about the unfair situation that Woo Hee was dealt. Still, she had yet to ask So if he was willing to adopt her as his sister.

"There is something else, isn't there?"

Soo looked up abruptly at So, who was giving her an inquisitive look, and she had the courtesy to blush.

"You know me too well."

So smirked and leaned forward in his seat, settling his chin in one hand he had propped on his knee.

"So, what will it be, Soo ya?"

"Well, I was wondering…"

"Yes?"

"If…"

Why was she still hesitating?

"Out with it, Soo ya. You know that I'll find out sooner or later."

Soo took a deep breath before blurting out her burning question.

"How would you feel about adopting Woo Hee?"

So blinked his eyes in surprise at her question, and sat up straighter. Seeing his hesitation, Soo sat forward and reached out to grasp his hand.

"Think about it, no one would dare defy you if you did that."

"Certainly not, but they would question me. More so than they already do."

"Yet you have paid them no attention. What difference will it make if you adopt Woo Hee?"

So smirked and shook his head in disbelief.

"What a dangerous queen you shall become. Here you are, already trying to negotiate deals with a prince."

"A crown prince, I might add. Do not discredit yourself so much, So ya."

"Regardless, not many would dare offer such a proposal to me."

"But I am a princess by marriage, am I not? And would that not make me your equal? Surely that must give me some credit?"

"Always the one to have the last word, aren't you?"

Soo smiled sheepishly, but then grew serious.

"Only when it truly matters, like in the case of our 13th brother's happiness...and that of Woo Hee's"

So took a moment to think about it before nodding his head in agreement.

"I suppose adopting Woo Hee would not be too much trouble. If it would make her and Baek Ah happy, I would be more than willing to do so."

"And if the ministers do question it, I'm sure you could provide evidence why it would be reasonable? Aside from the fact that it would allow Baek Ah and Woo Hee to marry, of course."

"It could align me with the old royal family, if the former princess agrees to join forces with me."

Hearing So's words, Soo realized she had not thought of that possibility. She knew that Woo Hee still had a very strong rallying behind her ever since the previous royal family fell. Albeit, many of them were considered common folk. Despite that, Woo Hee had hinted that some distant relatives had managed to escape the wrath of the former King Taejo, and she still had contact with them from time to time.

However, she also knew that Woo Hee was beloved by her people, and that if she did agree with this arrangement, Woo Hee might be able to rally her supporters onto So's side, strengthening his forces, and his claim to the throne.

It would be risky though, because it could seem strange if Woo Hee suddenly agreed to become an adopted sibling of the current royal family, especially when taking her position into consideration.

"You are worried about the consequences of this plan, are you not?"

Soo looked up at So and nodded, feeling a sense of frustration grow in her as a frown formed on her face.

"If I am to be queen, I cannot have my expressions be so clearly displayed on my face."

So chuckled and pulled Soo closer, reaching out to caress her cheek softly.

"I would like to assume that I know what you think only because I have known you for so long. And because you are comfortable enough with me that you do not feel as if you have to hide your feelings from me."

Soo's frown grew.

"That much I do not mind, but it would still do me good to learn how to control my expressions."

"Do not fret, you shall have time to practice. Besides, when you are in the royal court often, you will find it natural to hide your expressions in front of a crowd of people who are working to tear you down."

So's voice seemed goodnatured, but Soo knew he was trying to prepare her. The royal court was no fun and games, and she would have to steel her nerves when it came time for her to stand in that room.

"We are straying from the original topic, Soo ya. You were worried about the consequences, were you not?"

Soo nodded.

"I was wondering if Woo Hee's people would agree with this plan?"

So's eyes flashed for only a second but Soo saw it in his gaze; he too was worried about them rebelling. If that happened, innocent people would get hurt, and so would Woo Hee.

"I suppose the only way to find out is to talk to Woo Hee first," So said quietly, and Soo could only agree.

When they both presented the plan to Woo Hee and Baek Ah the next day, both were left speechless. They could not believe that So and Soo would offer to adopt Woo Hee, especially considering their precarious position as the unfavored crown prince and princess. However, the 4th couple was firm in their decision, and would go forward only as long as Woo Hee and Baek Ah agreed. Should they not agree, So and Soo would respect their decision, but still endeavor to help the couple find a family to adopt Woo Hee.

"Are you afraid of how your people will react?" Soo asked.

Woo Hee shook her head.

"My people have long agreed that they will stand behind me, no matter what decision I make."

Soo and So looked at each other before Soo leaned forward and reached out to touch Woo Hee's hand.

"And what of your relatives? Will they feel betrayed by your decision should you agree to join our family?"

"My uncles have long lost hope now that it has been so long since the fall. Now they are scrambling to find ways to survive without being found out. I know many a minister who are actively trying to eradicate the remnants of the former royal family. I would imagine that they would accept this opportunity with open arms."

"But what about your feelings? Would you be fine with joining our family?"

Woo Hee looked at each of the royals in front of her, and smiled before nodding.

"You may think I still hold a resentment against your family for what your father has done. Although that may have been a thing of the past, I no longer blame any of you for what your father has done. I know that no one here is responsible for his actions. It does not make the pain of losing my family any better, but I have found a new family here ever since then."

Woo Hee paused, tears in her eyes as she looked at Soo with a shaky smile.

"I have not had a family for a very long time, and I would like one again if you both permit it."

Soo leaped out of her seat and pulled Woo Hee into a tight hug, which the latter returned wholeheartedly. The former princess of Later Baekje had been her confidant and friend during the time she was banished from the palace, and it was time that Soo repaid Woo Hee for her friendship. She couldn't think of anything better than having So adopt Woo Hee as his sister, which would then by default make her Soo's sister.

Of course, the act of doing so would also finally allow Baek Ah and Woo Hee to marry, which only made it sweeter.

"We will forever be in your debt, So hyungnim and Soo hyungsoonim."

So looked over to see Baek Ah stand up and bow deeply, his hands trembling slightly as they clasped in front of his waist. It must have been hard for Baek Ah as well, all this time. It had been a long time coming, and finally he would be able to marry Woo Hee.

"Nonsense, just as Woo Hee said, we are all family. This is something I would not hesitate to do for you. Besides, I still have to repay you for your kindness from when I first returned to the palace," So reassured.

So motioned for Baek Ah to sit back down, and Soo let go of Woo Hee to return to hers. Reaching for So's hand, Soo smiled as she watched Woo Hee and Baek Ah share a look of happiness. Feeling So's warm hand encasing her own, she knew that for now, everything would be okay.


I would like to first apologize for how long I have been away. It's been nearly a year since I updated this story (16 more days would make a year in fact), and I know I have some explaining to do.

To be totally transparent, I lost motivation to write the story. I was getting busier with my first year of pharmacy school starting, and once it did start, I had no time or capacity to sit down and write a story. I remember being so excited when I first started this story. Gradually, life happened and I found myself in a deeper writer's block than I had ever been in before. It was really easy to prioritize other things, and slowly this story got left on the back burner.

It's been a year, and I am on a short break now. I have had previous breaks, but whenever I tried to write, I would come up with a blank. It was today that I decided to pull out this story again and attempt to finish it. I still have a long way to go, and a lot left to write. I also don't know when the next time I can update will be. I know that it's horrible to leave you all waiting in the dark, but this is me being as truthful as I can.

Even though I hadn't been writing, I still got email notifications of new readers subscribing to my story. I knew that I had to go back and finish it, but I didn't know when. So, today is my first attempt at trying to continue, and hopefully finish this story. I don't think I have any of my original readers left, but if you are still here, thank you for coming back. For those of you who are new, thank you for subscribing, and having faith that I will update. I guess it worked.

I'll try my best, but no promises. I hope you enjoyed this very overdue chapter, and I'll see you in the next one whenever that may be.