The Aftermath

Decisions - A Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Fanfiction

4 weeks ago

 

When the royal court was released for the day, So made his way to the astronomy tower to finish off some paperwork prior to returning to his quarters. Luckily, the court was released earlier today so he quickened his steps to the tower, hoping that if he finished his paperwork early, he would be able to make it to dinner on time.

However, as he made it to the top floor of the tower, he knew that things would not go as planned.

Wook had somehow made it first to the astronomy tower and seemed to be waiting for him. He was unsure of why this was the case, but when Wook turned around, So knew that it was no trivial matter. Wook would never seek him out unless it was the case.

 

“Wook.”

“So ya.”

 

So made his way to his desk where Wook was waiting and took a seat, also motioning for Wook to do the same. As Wook settled down into his seat, So was unsure of what to think. His relationship with his 8th brother no longer held the same hostility as it once did. Ever since the last time Wook sought him out in this same astronomy tower, they had both agreed to forgive each other. That was the last time they had a conversation, and despite seeing each other in court on a daily basis, they did not converse.

So did notice, however, that Wook seemed to play less and less of a role during the meetings with the royal court. He used to be more outspoken when it came to the Hwangbo clan, but as of late he had been allowing the elders to lead the conversation, choosing to take the backseat and wordlessly agreeing with what they proposed. It made So curious as to why Wook decided to do so.

 

“What brings you here?” So asked directly.

“I heard that you hired a new guard for your quarters,” Wook said quietly.

 

So nodded, not surprised that Wook would know that. It wasn’t as if he hid his visits to the quarters that housed the royal guards, as he found no reason to keep it a secret.

 

“Yes, I did. But why does that concern you?”

 

Wook seemed to hesitate before he answered.

 

“Are you aware of where his loyalties lay?”

 

So raised his eyebrow slightly. Now things were getting interesting. He hadn’t realized he would get results this soon after hiring the new guard. And from Wook, no less.

 

“He would be loyal to me, of course. I did choose to hire him based on his skills,”  So said vaguely.

“What would happen if you found out he was the reason for Hae Soo’s disappearance?”

 

Of course, So knew this already; that was the real reason why he chose to hire that guard in order to keep a closer look on him. But how did Wook know this? He had an inkling, but decided to confirm.

 

“I already know that,” So said nonchalantly. 

 

Wook’s eyes widened before he spoke up again.

 

“But if you know that, why have you hired him? Would it not put Soo ya in even more danger?”

“I have my reasons for doing so, but why don’t you explain why you are here. I am surprised you know who the guard is.”

 

Wook paused slightly before he confessed.

 

“He...was someone hired by Yeon Hwa.”

 

So was not surprised to finally confirm that Yeon Hwa was behind Soo’s kidnapping. However, what surprised him more was the fact that it was Wook telling him this.

 

“Why are you telling me this? I would not expect you of all people to do so.”

“It’s time that I put an end to her greed, and mother’s,” Wook said in a low voice but with conviction.

 

So sensed there was a change in Wook, and hoped that his instincts were correct. Perhaps he would continue to be an ally after all. So settled into his seat and spoke again.

 

“Perhaps you should start from the beginning. It seems there is much I need to know.”

 

1 week ago

 

Hyeon Joon arrived at his quarters and found a message left for him under his pillow. This was the sign he was told about a week ago, and he steeled his nerves upon reading to the end of the note.

That night he left the palace once again and made his way to the mountains where there was a secluded temple. There, he met with the rest of the hired men to plan the ambush. Although he did not want any part of it, he knew he had to do it for the sake of his mother. He could only hope that they would not turn back on their words. If they did, there was no telling what he would do.

The next morning, he was summoned by the 4th prince to the astronomy tower. He was worried as he climbed the steps. 

 

Did I do anything suspicious? Why is he calling me out now? 

 

These were the types of thoughts that ran through his head.

 

As he finally arrived at the top floor, he was surprised to see not only the 4th prince present, but also his wife, along with the 8th, 13th, and 14th princes.

Hyeon Joon gave a low bow to greet all of them before standing up and meeting eyes with the 4th prince.

 

“You summoned me, your highness?”

“I will get to the point. My 8th brother has told me something interesting. He tells me you have been working for his sister, Princess Yeonhwa.”

 

Hyeon Joon could feel the cold stare of the 4th prince upon his figure. He felt his body stiffen, knowing that the 4th prince was not joking.

 

“I am also aware that you were the one who kept watch over the 4th princess while she was captive.”

 

A cold sweat formed on Hyeon Joon’s brow. 

 

When did the 4th prince find this out? If he had known this why did he choose me of all people to help guard his quarters? 

 

“Additionally, I was informed that you are to attack my quarters within a week. Is that correct?”

 

Hyeon Joon dropped to the floor noisily onto his knees and bowed his head till it touched the ground.

 

“Please forgive me your highness! I was coerced out of my own will. She said that if I did as she instructed, my mother would be kept safe.”

 

There was a silence after he pleaded his case. He closed his eyes and prepared for the worse.

 

This is it...this is my punishment for not being strong enough to protect my mother, and for betraying someone like the 4th prince…Why did I think I could save her if I went through with this? Once I am finished, she will join me…

 

“I wish I could say Yeon Hwa wouldn’t do this, but this is not her first time…”

 

Hyeon Joon furrowed his brows, hearing the 8th prince speak. He had seen him from time to time while he worked at the palace. 

 

What does he mean about the princess? This is not her first time threatening to kill others?

 

“She will stop at nothing to gain power…” the 4th princess said with a sigh before Hyeon Joon heard some footsteps walk in his direction. He did not dare to look up, even as he saw the view of silk enter his peripheral.

 

“You may stand up, Guard Hyeon Joon,” she said in a quiet voice.

 

Hyeon Joon paused slightly before he slowly looked up. The 4th princess had a small smile and nodded, encouraging him to stand up. As he did so, he kept his eyes trained on the ground, still wary of what was to happen next.

 

They are too calm about this. Surely there is something else they have planned for me…

 

“We have a proposal for you, Hyeon Joon,” the 4th prince began.

“A...proposal, your highness?”

“Join forces with me, and we will guarantee your mother lives comfortably.”

 

Hyeon Joon looked up in surprise. 

 

Why am I being given this chance? Will I not be punished?

 

He met eyes with the 4th prince, who gave a small smirk.

 

“This is the only chance I will give you. Will you join me?”

 

As Hyeon Joon looked around the room at the royal members looking at him, he felt for the first time in a long time, a sense of hope.

 

-----

The present

The man who spoke took off his mask to reveal himself as Wook, and the second one next to him was revealed to be Hyeon Joon.

Everyone sighed with relief and lowered their weapons as the both of them approached. Soo stepped forward from where she was beside So and gave a small smile.

 

“Are you both all right? Are there any injuries?”

 

Wook looked at Hyeon Joon who shook his head before looking back at Soo.

 

“Nothing of consequence, Soo ya,” Wook said in his quiet manner.

“That is good to hear.”

 

Both men smiled and gave a small nod before Soo stepped back towards So. By that time, the royal guards Jung sent for arrived to help with the round up, and everyone else proceeded to gather in the drawing room within the 4th couple’s quarters.

There, Soo had Arang and Eun Bi ready with medical supplies in order to treat any injuries. Once everyone was patched up, they all took a seat around the table where there was tea and snacks prepared. Once everyone was settled, a somber mood took over the room. Everyone was hesitant for a while, but finally Wook spoke up.

 

“I suppose now we must consider how to proceed.”

“This matter concerns your maternal family and a wrong move may cause you harm as well,” So said in a low voice.

“The only way is to convince the Hwangbo clan to step back when considering your marriage. Once they step back, then things should be fine…” Wook responded, his face concentrated.

“How will you convince them, Wook hyungnim,” Jung questioned.

“We will have to leverage something against…” Soo started before Wook finished her sentence.

“Yeon Hwa.”

“Are you not worried about how she will treat you, Wook hyungnim?” Baek Ah asked worriedly. 

 

Baek Ah certainly did not care how Yeon Hwa thought of him, but she was Wook’s full sister. He wondered how it must feel to turn on someone like that. 

 

“She does not concern herself with me when she plans these schemes of hers. I have grown tired of her tricks and want to end them once and for all,” Wook said tiredly.

 

Soo could only look on silently as she finally saw the toll that the years had taken on Wook. He was no longer the soft-spoken man she fell in love with when she first arrived in this world. His resolve had hardened, and he was forced to turn his back on his family not once but twice. In some ways, she pitied him, but she was thankful that earlier tonight she was able to see a glimpse of his former self. Perhaps he could return in the future, without having to worry about obligations to his family.

They all continued to discuss and plan a bit more before Soo declared that it was too late to do anything then. The rest of the princes agreed and decided to meet in the morning at Wook’s residence, where they would continue their discussions.

As planned, Soo and So set off to Wook’s residence along with Jung and Baek Ah the next morning. Arang and Eun Bi were tasked with watching over Seol, and after Soo made sure they had everything they needed, the royal party set off.