A Mother's Departure

Decisions - A Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Fanfiction

The next several years brought many changes to the royal family, some which were welcomed, and others unexpected.

 

Queen Yoo, who had essentially been ostracized by her sons, lived out the remainder of her days in isolation. The spirit in her dissipated the day her beloved son Jung declared his disappointment in her, and things were never the same again.

 

When the court ladies sent word of her dire condition late one night, So was the first to go visit. Before he left, So tasked Soo with sending a messenger to Jung, who was stationed at the border during the time to come home urgently. The next morning found So in court, and then again visiting his mother in the evening. Soo joined him this time, and they both watched silently while Queen Yoo slept.

 

Jung arrived early in the morning the following day and it was Soo who met him at the entrance of his mother’s quarters.

 

“Hwang Hoo, how is eomoni?”

“She is sleeping but has been the same since I sent you the notice,” Soo said quietly. 

“You should go in and visit her. Paeha has been keeping watch waiting for you to come home.”

 

Jung nodded before giving Soo a bow and heading inside. After several minutes, Soo saw So exit and the doors closing behind him. They both shared a look before So nodded in the direction of their quarters.

 

“Let us go and get some rest. The sun has yet to rise and I believe some sleep is due.”

“You need it more than I do, So ya. You haven’t slept in days.”

“This is nothing, I have spent many sleepless nights –”

“Yes, yes, I know, when you were a soldier, but that is no longer the case. You are an emperor now who needs his rest.”

 

Just a few months before, So had declared himself emperor, making Goryeo an independent empire and ending tributary relations with the Song dynasty in China. They had become greedier in the years since So first took the throne, and he sought to put an end to the Song’s dictatorship by strengthening the military force along with his position as a ruler,

 

“I am not the only one who needs to rest. We just recently found out about your pregnancy after all that has happened. You must take care of yourself as well, given…”

 

Soo smiled and looked down to her hands resting on her stomach. She knew So’s voice trailed off because he did not want to speak about the passing of their second son Hyo Hwa. Although he was born successfully, he had a weak constitution. The first winter he saw was also his last, and his death was still very fresh in their memories despite it being a year ago. Naturally, Soo took it the hardest, and it took a while for her to come out of her depression. It was only during the recent year that she had returned to her former self, all with the help of her family. 

 

They had not expected to be pregnant again so soon, but Soo felt it was a blessing after all that had happened, and she welcomed it happily. 

 

“I know, but I promise I will rest as long as you do as well,” she said before looking up to see So smiling softly at her and cracked a smile in return. 

 

“I cannot argue with that logic. Let us head back,” he said before taking her hand and leading the way.

 

When they returned to their quarters, both rulers were met with the sight of Seol and Ju dressed up for an outing. Both forewent their royal attire, and opted for something less conspicuous but still hinted at their status. Seol was now 18, and Ju 16, both still teenagers in Soo’s eyes, but mature beyond their years. At times, Soo wished they had more time to grow, but as the crown prince and 1st princess, both realized early on how much of a difference they could make with their statuses.

 

Although surprised to see their children, the monarchs suspected that today would be an inspection day. Before they could completely enter the room, Seol and Ju had offered them bows.

 

“Greetings to our father and mother,” both chorused.

“Good morning children, it is very early yet you are here. What is the matter?”

 

So asked as he helped Soo into her seat at the table before sitting down, waiting for their answers. The royal children looked at each other hesitantly before Seol spoke up.

 

“We heard about what happened to dowager Queen Yoo, father, and that you and mother have not had any sleep since yesterday so we were worried.”

 

Soo and So made a conscious decision to keep their children away from Queen Yoo since they were young, and when they were old enough, relayed her wrongdoings to them. As a result, both had little contact with Queen Yoo, and learned to keep her at a distance per their parent’s wishes. Therefore, she was never a “grandmother” figure to them, and they never referred to her as such. The only grandparent they saw on a regular basis was Hae Sung Jin, who had spent his more recent years in Goryeo as So had stabilized their relations with Khitan and no longer needed a diplomat staying there indefinitely.

 

“You know that today is the day 1st sister and I make our inspections of the facilities providing care to the sick, but we can delay our visit if you need assistance with anything,” Ju chimed in.

 

Several years ago after coming back from the lantern festival, the siblings had offered to cut their personal budgets to provide for the poor and sick, along with their proposal to allocate the tax funds from the slave emancipation to the same cause. Around the same time, So had started Jaewibo, or charging interest on grain loans; funds from this went directly to providing relief for the poor.

 

What started originally was simply a single building that provided provisions and care for those in need, whether it be shelter, food, or medical care; however, over the years, the family had worked to expand their efforts which resulted in Daebiwon, or houses of mercy, providing medical care for the poor. Seol and Ju were working on efforts to expand to facilities that would provide food and shelter for those in need and hoped to see the fruits of their labor in several years. In the meantime, they frequently held many sessions where they distributed food to the poor.

 

Soo shook her head and smiled reassuringly.

 

“No, your father and I will do just fine. There is no need to reschedule upon our behalf. Besides, I am sure the people have been expecting you two.”

 

So nodded in agreement.

 

“Your mother is right. We both will get some rest now so you should leave with light shoulders. We have faced much more difficult things in the past.”

 

Seol and Ju were no stranger to their parent’s journey to the throne, and nothing more needed to be said. 

 

“Then we shall head out now. Please expect reports from 1st sister and I when we return in the evening,” Ju said before bowing to his parents. Seol did the same before following her brother out of the room, but not before giving both of her parents a tight hug.

 

“Don’t worry, Hyeon Joon will be with us. You know how protective he is. I give you my word that Ju and I will return safe and sound!”

 

Hyeon Joon was the mercenary originally hired by Yeon Hwa to kidnap Soo. When given a second chance by So to redeem himself, he pledged his life to ensuring the safety of the royal family. It was only during recent years with Ju and Seol’s frequent outings that So tasked him to be their body guard. He continued to serve as a faithful guard and always ensured the crown prince and 1st prince arrived home safely.

 

Soo and So watched as their eldest daughter left the quarters before looking at each other in amusement.

 

“How does she always know what I am thinking Soo ya?”

 

Soo let out a laugh before shaking her head.

 

“It is because she takes after me. I always know what you are thinking, and by default she does too.”

 

And with that, the royal couple quickly changed from their outerwear and managed to snag a few hours of sleep before their duties began for the day.

 

-----

 

Several days later, Jung came bearing news of Queen Yoo’s death. It was a cold morning, one that hinted of the harsh winter to come. So and Soo had just finished getting ready for the day when he was announced. Both could tell immediately something was wrong as soon as Jung stepped into their quarters. Despite trying to hold it in, So and Soo could tell that Jung had shed tears by his red-rimmed eyes.

 

“Jung ah, what has brought you here? Your clothes are not suited for the weather!”

 

Soo could see him shiver slightly and she motioned to one of her ladies to bring some warm tea and a blanket. As soon as the lady left, Jung spoke in a soft but tearful voice.

 

“Eomoni has passed, hyungnim…”

 

Upon hearing his 14th brother’s words, So felt the weakness in his knees and staggered; however, Soo was able to catch him in time and quickly helped him into a nearby seat.

 

“She has passed…eomoni has passed…”

 

So looked at Soo with confusion as tears began to well and eventually fell down his face. Even So was surprised and touched his cheek to feel the dampness.

 

“I have long given up on her love, why am I crying?”

“You may have given up on it, but it doesn’t change the fact that she is still your mother. It is not wrong to feel sadness,” Soo said quietly as she dabbed the tears away.

 

Jung had also begun crying again and the two brothers continued to express their grief privately. When So appeared in court later that morning, the ministers would have never known that he shed his tears for his estranged mother. Instead, he solemnly announced the passing of dowager Queen Yoo, and delegated a few ministers from the Chungju clan to arrange the funeral.

 

After the funeral took place, Soo found So at the prayer towers at Lake Dongji, where they had been accumulating ever since Soo started building them. His hands were clasped behind his back, and his gaze was empty as he stared out into the lake surrounded by stone towers.

 

As she made her way to his side, Soo too took in the view of the various towers.

“What are you thinking about?”

 

So turned to see Soo and smiled slightly before turning back to look at the lake.

 

“I am thinking about building my mother a temple.”

“A temple?”

“Yes, I was never the best son in her eyes, but perhaps I could do one last thing to redeem myself.”

 

Soo tried to control her tone as she responded.

 

“She never gave you a chance to be a good son. All she did was scorn you.”

 

Soo heard So chuckle dryly.

 

“You are not wrong about that.”

“Then why the temple in her name?”

“Call me superstitious, but perhaps I can appease her spirit in the afterlife if I build her a temple. We have a long life ahead of us, and although she is gone, I would hope that her next life will be a peaceful one. Maybe I can meet her again as a son that she loves and cares for. What do you think?”

 

Soo sighed before turning to look at So. He met her gaze and smiled serenely. With that explanation, Soo couldn’t find it in her heart to argue with him.

 

“If you put it that way, I suppose there is no reason for me to object.”

“Perhaps history will record me as a filial son who cared so much for his mother that he dedicated a temple to her. What do you say, Soo ya? Will that happen?”

“You know that I do not know the answer to that.”

“Do you think that I might find out someday?”

 

They both looked at each other and then back at the lake. Eventually, and they both walked back to their quarters in the palace.

 

Truth be told, this was a topic that had emerged more often than not lately. Soo did not know what would happen when she passed from this world, and in the case that she did remember everything, how would she continue her life without So in her modern world?

 

So had often thought about this topic as well. He recently concluded that if he tried his best to make amends in this life, perhaps the heavens would allow him to meet Soo again in the future. Whether it was with his memories intact, or not, he simply wished to live another life with Soo, free of the palaces’ struggles and burdens.

 

As cliche as it sounded, only time would tell if their wishes were to be granted. Until then, they could only live their life to the fullest while in Goryeo, and ensure a stable empire to leave to their children.