Implementation

Decisions - A Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Fanfiction

The meeting commenced soon after Seol was put to bed. With the reinstatement of their original guards and with Arang and Eun Bi watching over Seol, the royal siblings gathered at the astronomy tower where they were also joined by Ji Mong.

 

Once everyone had gotten their greetings in and settled down, they all waited for So to speak.

 

“I called you all here in order to learn more about what happened the past few days. As you know, my quarters were attacked and Soo was taken. Thankfully she has returned safely to us, but I want to discuss further measures so nothing like this ever happens again.”


 

Everyone in the room nodded solemnly, and Soo thought it would be better to lighten up the mood.

 

“Ay, let’s not be so serious. I know things were rough the past few days, but I think with the new measure we’ve put in place everything will be a bit better.”

 

Everyone had to crack a smile at Soo’s effort to cheer them up. Although it was surprising to see her so calm about everything, they attributed this to Soo’s innate demeanor and did not think it was strange.

 

“What measure are you talking about Soo ya?” Woo Hee asked.

“I have decided to have all of the Damiwon court ladies carry personal identification.”

 

Baek Ah looked perplexed.

 

“Personal identification, like the guards and soldiers?”

“Similar but not quite. My identification includes a miniature portrait of all the court ladies along with their birth date and name. To my knowledge, the soldiers and guards simply carry around wooden plaques with their names on it.”

“There have been instances in the past where people would steal name plaques and forge identities…” Jung said matter-of-factly.

“Damiwon will also keep copies of this information in my office and should anything happen, we can refer to the files,” Soo continued.

 

So looked at Soo adoringly as she explained her new system with the others. He still questioned from time to time how lucky he was able to meet someone like Soo, and vowed he would spend the rest of his life making sure she would not regret it.

 

“...but I’m afraid I have led us astray. I believe So ya wanted to ask you about the events prior and during my kidnapping,” Soo said sheepishly as she turned back to look at So. He simply smiled and shook his head.

 

“I had been planning to bring that topic up anyway, and did not mind if it was discussed now or later. Speaking of which, I urge that you all do the same for your own guards and quarters. I will also have Eun and Soon Deok do the same for theirs.”

“Should we also bring this up to the King? Wouldn’t it be proper to do so in order to strengthen the palace’s security? We have too much of a history of ambushes within the past few years.” Baek Ah mentioned

 

So nodded.

 

“I am unsure about how the court will receive this proposal, but I would imagine the King would agree with me. It may take some time to complete, but I believe it would be in our best interests.”

“From experience, it does take some time. I spent the entirety of today and only managed to document half of the court ladies at Damiwon. However, if you are able to have many painters working at once, it would certainly speed up the process,” Soo added.

 

Everyone in the room nodded in agreement, and So felt that that matter had been taken care of.

 

“I am still waiting to hear about the events prior to Soo’s capturing. From what I am aware, the guards at my quarters were changed, and they were the reason why you all had been left defenseless.”

 

Jung nodded and spoke up.

 

“I was with Baek Ah hyungnim and Soo hyungsoonim when it happened. A barrage of fighters dressed in black with masks on attacked us from all angles. We tried our best to defend against them, but Soo hyungsoonim was knocked unconscious and taken away.”

“We tried to follow but they had left many different trails as they dispersed so it was difficult. We also checked your quarters and all the guards had been knocked unconscious as well. Thankfully, Arang and Eun Bi had hidden in your safe room within your quarters so Seol was safe,” Baek Ah added.

“I spent the next few days patrolling the area hoping to find clues, though I did not find much until you arrived home, So hyungnim,” Jung said.

 

Woo Hee spoke up at this time.

 

“Baek Ah and I began the official search the next morning. We tried to cover all the tails they left behind, but to no avail. We were quite surprised that you came upon a lead.”

 

So was also surprised he had come upon the lead so easily it was as if they were trying to be caught around the palace.

 

“I was also intrigued as well. But I am thankful as the lead led me straight to where Soo was being held.”

 

Woo Hee turned to Soo and reached out to place a hand on her arm.

 

“Speaking of which, how did you escape? I heard vaguely that So orabeoni found you outside hiding among the leaves!”

 

Soo had to chuckle and nodded in response.

 

“Luckly, my captor was very inattentive. He only came by my area to deliver food twice a day. During the time I was gone, I had a dagger that So had gifted me a while back and was able to cut through the wood of the cabin in which I was trapped. After escaping, I had no idea which way to return, so I waited to see if anyone would come along the road. Luckily, it was So who came.”

 

Woo Hee looked amazed to hear what Soo had experienced, but was relieved that she was not seriously hurt. She herself had gone through many harsh conditions as a slave and former princess of Hubaekje, and she would never wish any of that on her best friend and sister.

 

“I’m so glad to see you’re safe and sound. I hope nothing like that ever happens again,” Woo Hee said.

“If I can have my way, it won’t. Not to Soo or anyone else I care about,” So said resolutely. Everyone else in the room agreed silently.

 

Ji Mong chose this time to speak up, as he was observing this meeting from the side.

 

“Your highnesses, might I suggest something?”

“What is it Ji Mong?” Jung asked curiously.

“Perhaps it would be best to inform Paeha of this plan to identify all of the palace workers first, before bringing it up in court.”

“Is there a reason why you would want us to do this first, Ji Mong?”

“The court has been unrestful for a very long time now. They do not respond well to new ideas, so I assumed that perhaps Paeha could have the identification done for his immediate servants first, in order to see how efficient and feasible it will be. That way, if there are protests from the ministers, we will have evidence.”

 

Everyone thought that Ji Mong’s words were reasonable and found no reason to disagree.

 

“The end goal is to eventually have all the ministers and nobles be identified as well, right?” Soo asked So.

“That is the plan, but I agree with Ji Mong. It would certainly cause an uproar if we were to suggest it right away.”

“Would you prefer So hyungnim inform Paeha, Ji Mong?”

 

Ji Mong smiled and turned his gaze to Soo, who widened her eyes when she saw his gaze fall on her.

 

“Me? Are you sure that would be a good idea?”

“On the contrary, I think it would be a fine idea! You are the one who started the system, and you have first hand experience with it. However, if you feel uncomfortable doing it on your own, I am sure the 4th prince would gladly stand with you.”

 

Soo looked around the room at the rest of the royal siblings and they all smiled and nodded.

 

“Well, if everyone is all right with the decision...though I would like some moral support. Would you mind joining So and I, Ji Mong?”

 

Ji Mong lowered his head in response.

 

“It would be my honor, your highness.”

“I should have a formal presentation, shouldn’t I? I wonder how I should do it…”

“How about you explain in further detail what you did today, Soo ya? I along with everyone else will want to know in order to do the same for our palace workers,” So suggested.

“You can think of it as practice when you speak with Paeha,” Baek Ah said, “though I doubt you have to do anything formal. We know the Paeha spares exceptions for you, Soo hyungsoonim.”

 

Everyone in the tower laughed and Soo shook her head.

 

“Regardless of what has happened in the past, this is the first time I am suggesting something so dramatic. It is best that I prepare something formally in order to present to him. After all, if he accepts the idea, he will have to initiate it for his own quarters and I want to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible for him.”

 

Soo stood up and walked over to the desk, pulling out parchment, ink, and a brush. They all gathered around the table as she started to illustrate the flow she had planned this morning, explaining details on how to make it smoother and more efficient.

As Ji Mong listened in, he looked at the faces around him. He would have never imagined this to happen when he met Soo years ago. Despite his early qualms about her changing the future, he knew that it was because of Soo’s arrival that the royal siblings could trust and rely on each other now. 

Although he could not predict the immediate future, he hoped that nothing bad would befall the royal siblings; they had experienced enough of it already.