Looming Fear

Decisions - A Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Fanfiction

The weeks following Baek Ah and Woo Hee’s wedding were peaceful, but Soo couldn’t let herself rest. Despite the calm atmosphere, something kept her on edge, to the point that she was very paranoid walking around every corner of the palace. When she confessed her worries to So one night, he seemed concerned.

 

“Is there something in particular? Rumors you’ve heard about the court? Something you overheard my mother say in the passing?”

“No, nothing like that. It’s like an unknown fear that looms over me…”

 

So could see there was not much he could do, but instead decided to remind her of their self-defense training. If she could not shake off the fear, then at least she should be able to defend herself.

 

“Do you carry anything to protect you at all times?”

 

Soo nodded and lightly grasped at the hidden knife under her robes. She had made a habit of carrying it around since a few years ago. She wasn't really sure what made her do it. Aside from the most recent poisoning, she wasn't in immediate physical danger, but she couldn't shake off the feeling she had recently.

 

“Always.”

“And you remember what I have taught you??”

“Of course.”

“Perhaps we should practice a bit more…it has been awhile since we have both trained together.”

 

Soo wished that was possible, but she knew how busy So was.

 

"I couldn't possibly make you practice with me after a long day at court. Besides, I have Jung ah and Baek Ah to practice with."

"You know I would always make time for you…"

 

So looked jealous, almost offended she had turned down his suggestion of practicing with her. She smiled to herself and wondered how he hadn’t changed all these years. She reached out and gave him a reassuring squeeze on the hand. He overturned his hand to grasp her hand in his warm palm and returned the gesture.

 

“I know you would always make time for me, which is why I cannot take advantage of that. However, if you are not feeling too tired one of these days, I will agree to it. Otherwise, I will be perfectly fine with Jung ah or Baek Ah.”

“If you insist, Soo ya.”

 

She leaned forward and gave a firm nod with accompanied with a smile.

 

“I do.”

 

He seemed to consent to this answer, but he still gave her a stern look.

 

“However, if you ever do feel as if something is wrong, please tell me right away.”

“I would do nothing less.”

---

It was nearing Seol’s first birthday, and many preparations were being prepared around the palace. It was a very big event for a baby’s first birthday, as it signified that it had survived the first perilous year of life. 

Unfortunately, Soo’s father had to return to the border unexpectedly due to an issue at the border. The Khitan were also demanding to speak to a member of the royal family, and King Hye Jong decided to send So as he had previous experience with diplomatic negotiations.

As Ambassador Hae and So prepared their horses, Soo stood nearby watching them with a slight frown. It was nearing Seol’s birthday, and of all times So had to be sent away from the palace. Truth be told, she was disappointed, but she was mostly worried as well. The unsettling feeling had not gone away. As So and her father walked toward her direction, she plastered a smile on her face and stepped forward with Seol in her arms.

 

“Seol ah, say farewell to your father and grandfather. They will be away for a little while.”

 

Ambassador Hae smiled and cooed at Seol before looking up at Soo apologetically.

 

“I know you are disappointed we have to leave at such a time,” her father said. 

 

Immediately Soo felt like a child for being upset about something out of their control. She shook her head.

 

“It is your royal duty, and I shan’t stand in your way. I know it cannot be undone. You are the best one for the job after all father.”

“If you insist daughter. You always have a way with words.”

 

He laughed and reached out pat her shoulder affectionately before turning to So with a grin.

 

“I’ll let you lovebirds say good-bye before we depart.”

 

With a last smile, Ambassador Hae turned around and walked toward the waiting horses. The 4th couple watched him walk away before So turned back to Soo and Seol.

 

“We will try to resolve issues as quickly as we can so we can return for the celebrations.”

“Take your time and stay safe. We still have some time before her birthday, and we can always delay celebrations for a few days if necessary.”

“Regardless, we will do our best to hurry back.”

“Then I will hold you to your word, So ya.”

“Send word if anything happens.”

“You have my promise.”

 

With a departing kiss to Soo and Seol, So left the palace with Ambassador Hae. Once their figures could no longer be seen, Soo retired to their quarters and put Seol to sleep. Now that So was gone, Soo really could not afford to let her guard down. 

During her spare time, she would train with Baek Ah or Jung ah to sharpen her defense skills. After some time, Soo requested for something more challenging. Despite the royal princes’ hesitation in teaching her offense moves, Soo insisted that they did in the case of emergency. She promised that she would only use them as a last resort. 

One night as Soo was putting Seol to bed, she heard something land on the roof. It took a few seconds for her brain to start working, realizing that anyone who had to travel via the rooftops could be of no good. With a few quick movements of her head to Arang and Eun Bi, they quickly blew out the candles before going behind the decorative silk screen where there was an inconspicuous wardrobe. This was quickly opened, revealing a secret door behind the clothes and the women entered into the room with the still-sleeping Seol. The wardrobe was closed and so was the secret door before being locked from the inside. 

They all waited with bated breath as they heard many footsteps enter the room. After a bit of shuffling and movement, they eventually left. The women let out a few relieved sighs. Still, no one was ready to leave the secret room yet, so they took turns sleeping and taking care of Seol. After some time, more footsteps entered the room and they all froze. However, when they heard Jung’s voice, they all moved slowly to exit the secret room.

As they all appeared behind the silk screen, Jung Ah’s face went from worried to relieved.

 

“Hyungsoonim! I was so worried!”

 

Soo smiled stiffly before indicating to Arang and Eun Bi to put Seol back into her crib. She turned back to Jung.

 

“Do you know who it was? I heard them coming from the roof.”

“We are unsure of who they are yet. I also saw suspicious activity from the roof around here, so I rushed here before chasing them off the palace grounds. I still have some troops searching after them. I will also post more guards around your quarters. I apologize that the previous ones were unable to protect you.”

 

If they weren’t able to protect her, that could only mean one thing. Jung saw her expression and spoke up again.

 

“You shall see nothing when you wake up tomorrow morning, hyungsoonim. Again, I am sorry...”

 

Soo shook her head and reached out to give a reassuring squeeze of his arm.

 

“It’s quite alright. I know you did your best, and it seems we will need to be more vigilant in the future. Thank you, Jung Ah.”

 

He smiled before bowing and leaving her quarters and Soo went to have a fitful sleep before waking up in the morning no more rested than she was the night before. As promised by Jung, nothing seemed out of the ordinary when she exited her quarters, aside from the new guards she noticed posted outside her door. She hoped that the previous night’s events was just a random case of common robbers. However, the events that took place the next few days would prove her wrong.