Recovery

Decisions - A Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Fanfiction

The breeze came through the opened window, and Soo closed her eyes, feeling it brush against her face and lifting the loose hairs around her temple. The sun was shining and the flowers had only just begun to bloom, but here she was stuck inside her room. Soo let out a sigh before looking down at her tea and then taking a slow sip. As she lowered her hand to set down the cup, Soo could see her hand shaking. After setting down the cup, she clasped both hands together in her lap and let out another sigh.

 

It had started with a bad cold that never really left her. After being bedridden for weeks, it was only today that she had enough energy to sit at her table. So had left her this morning after making sure she was comfortable. When she tried to get up and help him with his make up, he shook his head and implored her to rest.

 

“Soo ya, I can still take care of myself. It was you who taught me how to do it, remember? Even if you have been helping me all these years, I have never forgotten.”

“But–”

 

So shook his head and helped her lay back down on the bed.

 

“When you feel better, I will allow you to help me get ready. Until then, I want you to rest.”

 

She frowned slightly but nodded. He was right, she still didn’t have her full strength back yet. It would do her good to get some more rest. Besides, there was always tomorrow, wasn’t there? With a final smoothening of the blankets and a warm kiss on the forehead, So headed out for the day.

 

Most of the day was quiet, spent in her room sipping at the tea, and when Arang left the room briefly, Soo decided to open the window just for a little while so she could feel the spring air. She was just about to close it when Eun Bi walked into the room.

 

“Your highness, why is the window open? I should scold the lady who opened it while you’re still recovering.”

 

Soo smiled sheepishly and raised her hand.

 

“I am afraid you are looking at the culprit. No other ladies were involved.”

 

Eun Bi looked at her empress before shaking her head and walking over to quickly close the window.

 

“Well, I know I cannot scold you, but I hope you know we only care about your health.”

 

Soo smiled as she watched the window close and the breeze dissipate. Eun Bi turned back to where her empress was sitting and reached for the teapot to pour more tea. Soo couldn’t help but defend herself in the meantime.

 

“Yes, I am well aware you all care about my health…but to be fair, I was feeling better today! And the breeze was just so nice. I didn’t feel the cold at all.”

“I understand your highness, but you only just got better. What will Paeha do if you get sick again?”

“He would probably worry?”

“Not probably; he will most definitely worry about you! He burned the midnight oil for many nights while you were sick.”

 

Soo mood deflated upon being reminded of that fact. So was no longer young as he once was, and making him stay up all night on her account was not good. She would feel bad if he got sick because of that too.

 

“You are right, Eun Bi ya. I should be more considerate of others instead of being selfish…”

 

Upon seeing Soo’s face droop, Eun Bi immediately felt guilty and hurriedly tried to amend things.

 

“You are not being selfish, your highness! I can understand you feel suffocated being in your room all day after being sick. I was only worried about you which is why I said those words. I did not mean to make you feel bad…”

Soo perked up a bit and looked at Eun Bi expectantly.

 

“In that case…if I rest up today, would you allow me to take a turn about the lake tomorrow?” 

 

Soo asked hopefully. She knew there was no real need to ask for permission, but Eun Bi was like a sister to her now despite the differences in rank. At the end of the day, Soo knew she only wanted the best for her.

 

Eun Bi smiled and nodded her head.

 

“You know that I could never stop you from doing anything, but I appreciate you thinking about your health. I will help arrange your outing tomorrow if you are still up for it, your highness.”

 

Soo grinned in agreement, and for the rest of the day she rested up the best she could.

 

The following day was thankfully warmer so Arang and Eun Bi were less hesitant about helping their empress take in some fresh air. Despite the weather, Soo was dressed in thicker clothes to ensure that she would not get another cold. Just as they finished putting on her cloak, So walked in.

 

He nodded to the ladies and they bowed before leaving the room. She thanked them silently before looking back at So, who had made his way to her and reached out to pull her cloak closer around her.

 

“I heard that you were planning to take a walk around Lake Dongji. I luckily had some time so I wanted to accompany you.”

 

Soo looked at him suspiciously before expressing her concerns.

 

“Are you positive that you had spare time, or did you decide to adjourn court early today?”

 

So coughed and avoided her gaze as he responded.

 

“Although I admit I did adjourn court early today, I made sure all the major matters were resolved. The remaining things on the agenda were frivolous things.”

“Frivolous things? Like what?”

“No, no, it’s not worth hearing. Let us head out now since you are all dressed up,” he said before ushering her out of their quarters.

 

Soo knew So would not hide anything from her, and the matters must have been frivolous as he mentioned. As soon as they left for the lake and they had walked far enough to where there were no people, she slipped her hand into his. She took in a deep breath as the lake came into view and was thankful she was able to breathe better than she had been weeks ago. 

 

They made their way near the bank and Soo stopped to stare out into the water. So had continued his stride but when Soo let go of his hand after stopping, he too followed to stand beside her. After a few minutes of watching the waters, So turned to look at Soo to see she was looking much better today, with more color in her cheeks.

 

“The late King Taejo’s last words were that life is fleeting, that it is all short and in vain. He said that life is so short, but I think that he was wrong. You and I are together like this, so how could it be in vain?”

“Yes, we have gone through many struggles to be here, haven’t we?”

 

She continued to look out into the lake as she spoke, her brooding expression making So worry.

 

“I feel nervous whenever you have that facial expression. I feel like you’re going to leave me and go far away.”

“If we met in another world and at another time, I was thinking how great that would be…”

 

So turned her body to face him, and his eyes searched her face.

 

“Soo ya..”

“There will be a day that I do leave you,” Soo said before looking up to meet So’s anxious gaze. “But know that I will not do so willingly. I know my health is not the same as it was before.”

“I will make sure only the best of doctors will see you. We’ll get someone from the medical institute–”

“So ya.”

 

He stopped talking and waited for her to speak again.

 

“Even if we have the best physicians, one day that may not be enough. However, I will try my best to be with you for as long as I can.”

 

She reached up to touch his cheek and smiled gently.

 

“I am not afraid of anything, nor am I hiding anything. I have been able to freely love you all I wanted, and that is all I could ever ask for.”

 

So simply pulled her into a tight hug. She heard him say “I love you,” softly and returned the sentiment.

 

“I love you too, my So ya.”

 

They spent the rest of the afternoon at the lake before deciding to head back, but when they started walking again, Soo bent over and massaged her knee slightly. 

 

“My knee hurts a little…” she explained as she probed it. Likely it was because she hadn’t walked this extensively in a long time. She saw So look around before kneeling down on the ground in front of her.

 

“Get on.”

She too looked around and hurriedly patted his shoulder and whispered worriedly.

 

“You should get up! What if someone sees the emperor kneeling?!”

“No one is around. It is not everyday that I offer my back to someone.”

“Are you sure? What will happen if we get caught?”

“Luckily I am the emperor. I believe I can persuade them to keep quiet,” So said jokingly. “Now come on, you wouldn’t want the emperor to keep kneeling, would you?”

 

Soo bit her lip and looked around again. He was right…no one was around. Perhaps a little piggyback ride wouldn’t hurt? She slowly leaned down and settled herself on So’s broad back. Once he felt her lean in, he stood up and made sure she was secure before walking. She relished the warmth he emitted but looked ahead to see the dirt path.

 

“Let’s go!” Soo shouted before letting go of one hand and pointing ahead of them. So laughed and started to run a bit before slowing down, more concerned about Soo’s comfort than speed. When they neared the main palace, So let Soo down and helped her smooth her skirts. As they approached the doors to their quarters, Arang who had been waiting outside greeted them.

 

“Greetings to Paeha, and Hwang Hoo.”

 

Soo looked toward the door before asking:

 

“Arang, is there something amiss?” 

“No, your highness. The crown prince and princesses came just now to visit. I told them that you were out on a walk with Paeha, and they decided to wait for you to return. I will send for more refreshments. Would you like anything else to be brought?”

“No, that should be just fine. Thank you, Arang.”

 

With a bow, Arang set off to complete her task. 

 

So and Soo had just walked through the doors when several figures rushed toward them. 

 

“Mother, are you all better now?” Aji asked expectedly. Next to her, Mun Deok and Bo Hwa nodded in agreement.

 

“Arang said you went for a walk today for the first time since being sick!” Mun Deok exclaimed.

“Does that mean you can tell us bedtime stories again?” Bo Hwa asked right after.

 

Ju had already bowed at the appearance of his parents, but looked at his younger sisters with a slight frown.

 

“Do you remember what I told you all about greeting mother and father? We may be meeting privately without the eyes of the court, but you must not forget your manners.”

 

The young princesses all looked back at him sheepishly before lining up and bowing to their parents as customary. He smiled approvingly before ushering them to the table.

 

“Now let us all sit, I am sure mother will be able to answer your questions then.”

“Yes, oraebeoni,” they all chorused before taking their seats at the table.

 

Soo and So looked at him amusedly before joining them.

 

“To answer your questions, I am not completely recovered but I am feeling better. Your father took me on a walk and it has done wonders. I should be all better soon!”

 

So looked at his son proudly as Ju poured the tea.

 

“Thank you for looking after your sisters, Ju. I know government matters have been busy as well, but your mother and I truly appreciate your efforts.”

 

Ju humbly shook his head.

 

“This is the least I could do to help you father, mother. Besides, we had fun these past few weeks, didn’t we?” He asked, looking at each of the princesses’ faces. 

 

And with that, the time spent until dinner was of the princess recounting their days while Soo had been recuperating from her cold. As the conversation continued through the evening, So and Soo were grateful for the family that they had. Soo in particular, hoped that she would have many more of these moments in the future.