Precautions

Decisions - A Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Fanfiction

Soo could barely keep her eyes open when So finally led her to their shared quarters. When they did enter the bedroom, she could see Eun Bi and Arang waiting for them worriedly. So led Soo over to the bed and quickly but gently laid her down before pulling the covers up to keep her warm. He then knelt by the bed, holding her hand. Despite her sweating, she was chilled shivering as a result. Arang stepped up to the side of the bed, in tears.

"Your highness! I am so incredi-"

"Silence!"

The loudest Soo managed to speak that word was no more than a whisper, but it was the first time Soo had ever commanded anyone like that. It effectively quieted Arang, and she stood frozen, afraid of what the consequences of her actions would be. Eun Bi and So also looked at Soo in surprise; they had never seen this side of her before.

Soo regretted her tone but felt it was necessary considering the circumstances.

"I wish you knew better than to volunteer when a lower-ranked maid suddenly claimed she was sick, minutes before serving the tea. However, I cannot blame you for your kindness."

Soo took another effortful breath before continuing.

"You did well in preparing the antidote."

So had a look of surprise on his face. How was Soo able to tell Arang what kind of antidote to prepare?

"What do you mean antidote? You were able to discern what kind of poison it was and have Arang prepare an antidote?"

"I knew I was going to be poisoned. There was arsenic though not as much as there was last time…"

No more needed to be said when she mentioned "last time".

"When I accepted the position of Senior Court Lady, one of the first things I sought to do was to study poisons. I wanted to be prepared, in case anything ever happened again. I studied them so much, I became sensitive to the smell, even at minute and highly diluted quantities."

Managing a small chuckle, she laughed a the irony.

"Who knew it would be for myself."

Soo felt another wave of nausea hit her, and she held her breath, waiting for it to pass before she could speak again.

"Eun Bi, please go prepare a soothing draught for me. Do it discreetly," Soo could already feel Arang speaking up but she shook her head.

"Arang, you will stay here and take care of Seol. If you are caught outside alone by those who sought to frame you, I fear of the consequences."

"But Soo ya, what about the royal physician? Surely he would be able to help as well? Being poisoned is no small matter, even if you were able to take the antidote."

So trusted Soo to make the decisions, but he was still uneasy she had initially denied a physician to see her.

"I am not poisoned, only lightheaded and shaken at the possibility of being so."

She pulled back the covers and showed So the damp spot on her robes.

"I pretended to drink the tea, but it seems my nerves have gotten to the best of me. The antidote Arang prepared was simply a safety measure. That is why it did not help me when I drank it."

So's face looked so dark that Soo untangled her hand from his and reached out to caress his cheek.

"It shall pass, So ya. I promise it will. However, if it will make you feel better, you may send for the royal physician."

True to Soo's words, the royal physician also concluded it was a case of nerves, but a slightly severe case. However, it was something Soo was familiar with. The royal physician was impressed with how quickly Soo had reacted, and for her stamina, despite the situation she was placed in.

"Given your prior health conditions, I am surprised you were able to endure the symptoms, your highness. Despite this ordeal, it seems you shall recover in due time."

Soo groaned inwardly. The mention of her health condition would not soothe So's worries one bit. She had previously told So about her heart condition, and he did not react well when he learned that on top of her weak knee, she had a condition that would shorten her lifespan.

Despite this, she was able to calm his worries by telling him that the daily tonic she had been drinking was to help with her heart, and with the royal physician's monitoring, in addition to her breathing exercises, she had not had any life-threatening heart palpitations in a very long time.

Nevertheless, he still had a tendency to worry whenever she was involved in anything.

"Thank you physician. Your help is tremendously appreciated. We ask that you keep discreet when you leave."

The physician gave a bow before he rose to leave. As he left, Eun Bi came in with a tray, containing the draught. As she set down the tray by the beside the bed, Soo peered at her face and knew she wanted to say something.

"What is it, Eun Bi?"

She glanced at Arang before looking back at Soo.

"The court lady who feigned sickness has disappeared. All of her things have been cleared in her room, as if in a hurry; not a trace remains. Damiwon is chaos and I fear many rumors are being spread in our absence, your highness."

Soo sighed and closed her eyes. Of course this would happen. She wasn't there to witness it the first time around because she was locked in prison. However, at least this time around she could try to do some damage control.

"Arang and Eun Bi, you may both go to Damiwon and restore order. Do not reveal anything, aside from the fact that we will have it investigated. Warn them that if they spread false rumors, I cannot guarantee their lives."

"Yes your highness," both chorused before turning to leave.

However, Soo stopped them in their path.

"And Arang,"

"Yes, your highness?"

"Stay wary of others, and be with Eun Bi at all times if possible."

She nodded silently before following Eun Bi out of the room.

"I have never seen you this strict with the both of them, Soo ya."

Soo glanced at So and rolled her eyes.

"It is imperative that I am strict with them. I don't think I need to explain myself, So ya."

So cracked a smile. Perhaps he was more relaxed, now that he had heard from the physician that Soo would be okay, thanks to her quick thinking.

"Still, it is amusing to see my wife be so commanding. I have chosen the right woman to be by my side, surely!"

Soo smiled a cheeky grin.

"See that you don't forget it!"

That evening, when So had retreated to the astronomy tower (only at the insistence of Soo, who was tired of him sitting around and worrying about her when she was "going to be perfectly fine!"), he found that he could not focus on his work. Granted, today was a holiday of sorts and he didn't have to do work, but he figured it would help him get his mind off of today's events.

He had assumed it would help; however, it had been an entire hour and he couldn't even finish the first scroll he had opened. Letting out a frustrated sigh, he stood up and resolved to return to their quarters. He would tell Soo he tried to work, but he could not. She would understand; she always did.

However, before he could take a step from his spot, he heard someone climb the stairs and prepared himself, whoever it would be.

To his surprise, it was Wook who entered the astronomy tower, and he relaxed but only slightly.

"So you are here, So ya."

"I wanted to get some work done, however it seems it will have to wait."

"I also came here to relieve my mind's burden, hoping I would see you."

"Is there a certain reason why you are seeking me out? It has been quite some time since our circumstances have allowed such a leisure."

"Is Soo ya all right?"

So clenched his fist under his robes, and tried to keep calm. At least Wook did not beat around the bush.

"Why are you asking after her?"

Wook hesitated, wary of So's reaction.

"I saw how pale she looked during the afternoon, so I was worried. I could not ask her myself due to lack of propriety…"

So let out a slow breath and relaxed his fingers. Perhaps he was jumping to conclusions. Wook may have betrayed him in the past, but that did not mean he would willingly harm Soo. As far as he was concerned, it seemed that Wook still harbored feelings toward Soo, whatever nature they may be.

"She was simply feeling faint due to the weather. She has been resting in her chambers since then and will be fully recovered tomorrow. If she is willing, I am sure she will receive you."

Wook nodded and pursed his lips. So did not really want Wook to see Soo, but he trusted her.

"If you will excuse me, I believe I shall be heading back to my chambers."

He walked quickly past Wook and began to descend the stairs.

"I am sorry for everything, So ya. To you and to Soo ya."

So stopped for a moment. Wasn't it too late to apologize now? He did not want to think too hardly about Wook's words, but something in his gut told him to consider them.

"I do not know what you are sorry about, but only time will tell if the heavens will forgive you. I have long accepted the nature of our relationship due to our birth circumstances. I, myself, have not been perfectly courteous to you either."

So turned around to look back at Wook, who was facing away from the stairs.

"I will assume you no longer harbor ill-natured feelings toward me, and I can promise you from now on that I shall endeavor to do the same."

With those words, So left the astronomy tower.

What he did not see, however, was the look of pure anguish that Wook was trying to conceal, and the few rogue tears that trickled their way down his face.

I can only hope that after everything is done, you both will forgive me for everything I have done.