Passing

Decisions - A Moon Lovers - Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Fanfiction

Despite the Hwangbo clan originally making a large fuss about the 4th prince’s divorce, one day it suddenly stopped. 

If they were to be honest, many of the other clans went along with the proposal to change the 4th prince’s wife, simply because they feared the repercussions of not following such a prominent clan. As the days flew by, and the 4th prince’s resolve grew firmer against their wishes, many clan elders grew restless. Should they retreat and support the 4th prince, or stay firm in their stance alongside the Hwangbos? This was the dilemma they all had for a long time.

Therefore, when the king casually asked if the Hwangbo clan would again make their case that day, they were all surprised to see the 8th prince step forward.

 

“After much reflection and consideration Paeha, we have decided to withdraw our proposal. If Paeha approves, the Hwangbo clan would like to offer our sincere apologies, and extend our support in any other way possible to the crown prince.”

 

King Hye Jong was surprised but none-the-less pleased to hear this and laughed amiably before looking over at Wang So.

 

“What do you think, Crown Prince Wang So? Will you accept this peace offering from the Hwangbo clan?”

 

So bowed his head and smiled in return.

 

“If it pleases Paeha, it shall be done.”

 

So and Wook both met each other’s gaze, and with a bow both agreed to put the past behind them.

Of course, they had already reconciled long ago, but this was simply for formal purposes so the clans could witness it. Wook had managed to concoct a plausible story on why the Hwangbo clan should retract their offer to his clan elders, and both he and So agreed that they would have to keep certain details from the King. This was the only way they could preserve their respective deals with Yeon Hwa and Queen Yoo.

And so things remained relatively uneventful in the royal court. One might say that the days that followed were of the most peaceful during King Hye Jong’s reign, with little conflict to report on from the royal gatherings.

It seemed everything was fine for a long time, but one day Soo was struck with a vision. She was shocked naturally, as she had not experienced one for some time now and she feared for the worse when it was over.

 

She saw herself walking to the king’s quarters with So by her side. They met with Ji Mong who had tears down his face.

The scene switched to the inside of the king’s chambers, where he lay on his bed. As they drew nearer, she could see how still he was.

Paeha laid on his bed with his eyes closed, and his skin pale. She could see someone draw white sheet over his body…

 

And that was there it ended. This was very different from the vision she had years before during their honeymoon, and she wondered if she had indeed changed the future for good? Still, the thought of King Hye Jong passing away now was just too soon.

She immediately stopped working on her book-keeping and ordered for a tray of tea to be prepared. It was then that she made her way to the throne room and requested for permission to see the King. She was allowed entry after a few minutes, and she was surprised to find the King alone.

 

“Hae Soo is here to greet you, Paeha.”

“I was just about to send for your tea, Hae Soo,” King Hye Jong said in a quiet voice.

“I had a feeling that you would need it today, so I arrived on my own accord. I am relieved it was what Paeha wished as well.”

 

Soo looked up to smile at him, and nodded to the court lady to place the tray down near the King before sending her away. Soo then stepped forward to prepare the tea herself.

 

“It is rare that you send the royal court home this early, Paeha.”

“Yes, I suppose so. But I was feeling quite tired so I sent them away. Should I not have done that?”

“Your health is most important, Paeha. The kingdom will prosper under your care if you are well.”

 

Soo finished pouring the tea and brought it to the table in front of King Hye Jong to serve him. He thanked her wordlessly as she stepped back.

 

“You and I both know well that I have not been in good health for a long time.”

“If that is the case, then I deserve to be punished, Paeha. I have failed in serving you.”

“No, you have done all that you could. If anything, I have you to thank Hae Soo, for you have extended my lifespan by many years. However, this body of mine has grown weary. I believe I do not have much longer.”

“Paeha, please do not think like that!”

 

Soo looked up in shock as she felt the dread come over her. King Hye Jong was still so young! Why did he come to be this way? Was there anything else she could have done to prevent this?

King Hye Jong chuckled and shook his head.

 

“Stop blaming yourself, Hae Soo. If it was meant to be, then it shall be. I believe I have done the best I could, and if it were not for you and my brothers, who knows if I would have lived till today.”

 

Although what he said may have been true, Soo stayed silent and tried to think of what else she could do. King Hye Jong took another sip of his tea before he spoke again.

 

“I know I will be leaving the kingdom in good hands. So will be a great and powerful king, and you will be a force to be reckoned with as his queen. The responsibility will be heavy, but I am confident you both will lead a righteous reign.”

“Paeha, please do not speak of that yet. I will discuss with the royal physicians in order to amend your treatment. We will find a wa---”

“Hae Soo.”

 

She looked up at the king in surprise to see him give her a reassuring smile despite having tired eyes.

 

“Yes, Paeha.”

“I will not die today, nor will I die tomorrow, but the day I will is nearing. I can feel it. Do not pity me, and do not be sad when I am gone. Leaving this life will be a blessing to my soul, and I hope I can live freely in my next life. Will you not wish that for me?”

 

Soo tried to keep her calm, and swallowed thickly before responding.

 

“I always wish many good things for you, Paeha. You have done many great deeds in this lifetime and I know you will be rewarded in the next. I only hope that we can meet again then.”

 

She heard him answer affirmatively, and looked up with a smile in return. As she silently watched him finish his tea, she sent another prayer to the heavens above.

Please let Paeha live as long as he can before he leaves so So and I can prepare ourselves. Please let him live many happy lives in the future, and please allow me to meet him again when he does. 

Days passed into weeks, and weeks into months, and everything seemed fine with King Hye Jong’s health, although he tired easily. Soo and the royal physicians continued to do their best to make sure his daily medications were of the highest quality. Soo began to have hope that his highness was improving; however, one day early in the morning when Soo woke up to prepare for the day, she had a sinking feeling in her stomach. She reached over and shook So awake before she looked at him with wide eyes.

 

“We have to visit Paeha.”

 

So did not question her and simply nodded, helping her out of bed before they both hurriedly to get dressed. After making sure Seol was being looked after, the 4th couple made their way to see the King. Ji Mong met them at the entrance upon their arrival, his face still wet from tears.

 

“Ji Mong, what has happened to Paeha?”

 

Ji Mong could not speak and simply shook his head before he cried. It was then that Soo and So knew King Hye Jong had left this world. The two of them mourned with Ji Mong, and once the King’s immediate family had finished their prayers, the both of them were allowed into the room to see King Hye Jong one last time before they prepared his body for burial.

Just like in Soo’s vision, King Hye Jong’s face was pale as he laid in bed. Ji Mong told them he had passed in his sleep, and Soo was thankful that despite his tumultuous life, Paeha was able to pass onto his next life peacefully. 

Since Hye Jong’s queen could not bear to lay the cloth over him, So was the one chosen to do so. As he carefully and slowly placed the white cloth over his brother’s face, So sent a final prayer to help guide his brother’s soul into the next life.

Soo stood behind So as he did so, anxious that her vision had come to pass. However, she remembered Paeha’s words, and along with So sent a prayer to have King Hye Jong’s soul be guided safely.

Once they left the King Hye Jong’s quarters, So and Soo stepped out into the cold morning air. As if the heavens were also mourning the passing of a king, the skies were gray and the scent of rain could be sensed in the air. 

They had not gone very far before Ji Mong met them once again and dropped to his knees before saying clearly to those who were near.

 

“The King has left a decree saying his successor will be 4th prince Wang So from the Shin Ju Kang Clan. Greetings to the new king! Long live the king, long live the king, long live the king!”

 

Anyone in the surrounding vicinity who heard this dropped to their knees as well and chanted the same phrase. 

Soo was about to do the same as well, but So stopped her from doing so. When she met his gaze, he smiled.

 

“You of all people do not need to bow to me, Soo ya. As my queen you shall be my equal.”

 

Soo couldn’t help but smile in return. In a world where patriarchy ruled, she was glad that So would not be like that. Despite being with him this long, he never failed to continue surprising her.

 

“Regardless, let me give my greetings to the new king. Long live the king!”

 

-----

 

As was customary, the funeral of King Hye Jong was prioritized over the coronation. Once his body was laid to rest and an appropriate amount of time had passed, the coronation took place.

It had been a long time since Soo had to wear such thick and heavy robes. She felt like, as what So mentioned years ago at their wedding, an overgrown peacock. Still it was tradition, and she certainly wasn’t going to make a fuss about it.

As she looked in the mirror, she wondered again if she was ready for this. Thinking ruefully, it didn’t matter if she was or not; the fact of the matter was that she was going to become queen today, and everything about her life would change starting tomorrow.

She would have a lot more royal duties, and would have to give up her duties at Damiwon. However, she could probably get away with supervising here and there. She trusted Arang and Eun Bi to take over, and had planned to make them both Damiwon senior court ladies after her coronation.

She also knew that she wasn’t required to do all that much in the eyes of the public...except give birth to an heir, but aside from that responsibility, she wanted to do more. As a Queen she had the power to change people’s lives, and she hoped it would be for the better. It might be unorthodox during this time, but when had she ever truly followed the rules?

Of course, Soo had been quite lucky certain members of the royal family favored her, and agreed to her ideas. Although it might be harder now to face the wrath of the ministers, she knew that with So by her side, it would be worth the effort. Afterall, she’d never know if she didn’t try.

After placing Soo’s beloved peony hair pin on, Arang and Eun Bi finally stepped away from Soo and she smiled at them in the mirror before standing up and turning around. Then they carefully placed the headpiece on her, and gave her the necessary ceremonial items afterwards.

 

“Are you ready, your highness?” Arang asked.

 

Soo wanted to shake her head, but found the headpiece too heavy, so she settled for a slight shrug of her shoulders.

 

“I don’t think I ever will be, but I suppose I should take it with a stride. I believe my husband will have a greater burden,” she replied softly.

“But we believe he has a great partner by his side who will help relieve that burden,” Eun Bi said as she stood next to Arang. Both gave each other smiles before looking at their soon-to-be queen.

 

Soo smiled, grateful she had such trustworthy ladies and friends in the palace. 

 

“Thank you. And I am thankful to have you both. I know the both of you will run Damiwon just fine.”

“It is all because we had your guidance, your highness,” Arang said shly. Eun Bi also nodded in agreement before chiming in.

“She is right, your highness. We will be honored to take your place and will continue to make sure Damiwon is kept up to your standards.”

“I expect nothing less,” So said with a smile before an eunuch arrived to inform her the coronation ceremony would begin shortly.

 

With one last look in the mirror, Soo steeled her nerves and followed the eunuch outside to walk towards the palace hall where the ceremony would take place. Luckily, the day was mildly warm with a cool breeze, so she didn’t have to feel too hot under the heavy robes. When she finally met So’s eyes during the ceremony, they both shared knowing smiles, both eager to finish this gaudy ceremony as fast as possible.