The cold truth

More than just a manager.

Suho was clicking around on his laptop, not doing anything important really and check their status charts. His eyes widened when he saw their new numbers and stood up from his chair, knocking it over.

“Guys?” Chanyeol looked up from his work and tilted his head, unsure what his boss was thinking.

“We’ve…we’ve officially beat the velvets!” Suho yelled, making everyone look up, then realizing that they’ve finally done it.

“No ing way!!!” Sehun exclaimed. Everyone jumped up to their feet, including Yixing, cheering.

“Really?” Baekhyun said in awe, Jongin slapped him on the back and grinned.

“Yeah, after three years…we did it.” Minseok applauded and smiled, he was pretty happy about it, his department is finally getting the attention they deserved.

“Yay~” Kyungsoo clapped along with Minseok, not looking as excited.

“You haven’t been here long enough to know this right?” He asked, reading Minseok’s mind. He nodded, hoping Kyungsoo would explain, he did.

“Ah, so our department has been the least appreciated?” Kyungsoo giggled.

“Well, if you put it that way, yes.” Luhan took Minseok’s hand and pulled him near him, laughing.

“Well, it’s all thanks to you, right?” He said between giggles, Minseok grinned and swung his arm on Luhan’s shoulder.

“I guess.”

 

Jongdae stood in front of the EXO shojo department office, bitting his lips and gripping his folder tight. He took a deep breath in and out, in and out.

‘Oh god…’ He thought, taking the icy handle in his left hand.

‘What would Minseokie think…?” He closed his eyes and pushed his way through, starring into Minseok’s eyes.

“Oh, Chen!” He grinned, taking his hand.

“Did you hear? EXO beat Red Velvet!” he said obliviously and giggled.

“Even though I don’t know much I’m still happy.” Jongdae grit his teeth and realized Luhan was looking at him.

“Why did you come in?” Jongdae sighed and calmed the office down with his loud, but feminine voice.

“Um, so…” Oh god, he was flustered.

“We realized there was a typo on Minseok’s entry form…and his original department was ShiNee…not EXO, so from today on, he will work with the ShiNee fantasy department.” Silence followed and all eyes were on Jongdae.

“So, Minseok, take your time to say goodbye okay?” He ruffled Minseok’s hair and left the room.

“Heh…?” Minseok mumbled, Baekhyun still couldn’t get this information through his slow brain system and Yixing just seemed out of it.

Minseok starred at his manager who was looking back at him already…something was in his eyes. Fears, sorrow and…loss. Minseok shook his head, glancing back at his coworkers.

“Wait, wait, wait, wait…he can’t be serious.” Baekhyun said, breaking the silence. Luhan didn’t say anything, he stayed silent.

“Lu ge…?” Minseok said quiety, looking up at Luhan with tear filled eyes.

“That’s brutal…” Jongin sighed, trying not to sound concerned. Kyungsoo tugged at his jacket, he lends his shoulder to him as a response.

Luhan teared his hand from Minseok’s and slammed the door open and hissed.

“Wait here.”

 

“What the hell are you thinking?” Luhan yelled at Jongdae’s back, stopping him in his tracks.

“I’m just doing my job, Luhan.” He said, he still has his back turned. Luhan balled his hands into fists.

“So you put no thoughts into Minseok’s feeling whatsoever?! I thought you cared for him.” He spat, making Jongdae shutter, turning around.

“Like I said.” Jongdae said with his quivering voice, eyes filled with sorrow and regret.

“I’m just doing my job.” He turned his heels and walked away, leaving Luhan standing alone.

 

“Are you okay Minseok?” Kyungsoo asked, Minseok nodded and slung his bag on his back, putting on his snapback.

“Yeah, yeah…It’s okay, I’ve always thought I caused you trouble anyway.” Kyungsoo looked heartbroken and it made Minseok want to cry, as hard as he could.

But he needed to stay strong, he really does love these guys.

He forced a grin and shrugged, waving.

“I’ll see you guys around; I guess?” He sniffled, opening the door and brushing past Luhan.

“Bye bye.” He smiled and entered the elevator Luhan just exited.

 

Luhan pressed the elevator button hard, making his index finger bend in an unusual way.

Why is this happening?! He entered the empty elevator and pressed L, the floor rumbled and dropped slowly. He checked the time, it was already 12 am. He yawned at the closed doors and sighed. 

He pushed the doors open to the male bathroom, but stopped when his hand touched the glass surface when he heard sobs from the other side. He pressed his ear against the glass, trying to figure out who it was.

Of course.

Minseok was curled up on the couch, head buried in his arms, crying. His shoulder was rising up and down, he brought up his knees into his chest and sniffled like a five-year-old who didn’t get any Christmas present.

Luhan bit his lips, leaning against the door, he lifted his chin and listened to the sobbing, trying to keep calm and walked away.

‘This wasn’t my fault…’ he thought.

‘He wants to be alone, he needs space.’ He convinced himself, taking a step away from the door.

He stopped.

The hell was he thinking? Minsoek was his partner, his artist, his. Minseok was his and Luha is not going to leave him alone, crying. 

He turned his heels, feeling somehow angry about himself and pushed the door open, looking down at the little Minseok who brought his head up, tears staingin his beautiful face. 

Luhan’s heart was broken seeing his partner like this, his shoulder dropped and stretched out his arms, lips quivering. 

“Lu ge…” He said as Luhan took Minseok in his arm, Minseok was shorter than him so he had to bend down. Minseok was still shivering when Luhan embraced him.

“Why am I like this…?” He asked, Luhan shook his head and sighed.

"Why is it so hard to accept the truth...?" 

“I don’t know, Minseok, I don’t know.” Minseok’s arm tightened around Luhan’s waist.

Luhan placed his lips on Minseok’s head, rocking back and forth, humming a song Minseok absolutely adored, it was the opening theme to ‘The Unbreakable Bond.’ Minseok’s favourite game.

“Everything is going to be alright, you just have to have faith in me Minseokie.” He whispered.

"Trust me." Minseok sniffled and looked up at Luhan, as if he wanted to say something. 

“Wanna crash at my place tonight?” Minseok nodded and smiled in Luhan’s chest.

“You smell nice, Lu ge.”