Nerve-racking

More than just a manager.

“Jesus you’re going to be late, Minseok!” Minseok rolled his eyes at nothing and yelled back.

“Oh my god, I still have 3 more hours!” Minseok could literally hear him sigh downstairs. He tried to ignore him as much as he could and turned back to his closet. He could feel his legs shaking from either excitement or just plain nervous.

“Yo.” Minseok looked at his doorway and frowned.

“I know you’re renting this place, but please keep it clean…” He said while picking up scrunched up paper and throwing them into the trashcan. Minseok never liked his landlord Jongdae much, he had been nothing but annoying for the past year, he’s been thinking of moving but everywhere else was just too expensive.

“I’m gonna move out someday.” He said as he flipped through his messy pile of clothes.

“That’s what you’ve been saying for the past year, Minseok. Give up, you don’t have enough money.” Minseok threw a pair of jeans at him and hissed.

“Shut up and help me!” Jongdae sighed and folded up his jeans.

“Where are you going anyway?” Minseok stopped rummaging through his stuff and looked up, beaming.

“I hit a jackpot, Cheny chen.” Jongdae looked at you weirdly.

“Okay…?”

“SM entertainment took me in as their new featured manga artist! Do you know how big of a deal this is? They’re the biggest manga company that, like, ever existed!” Jongdae rolled his eyes and took out a hoodie.

“I know, I work there.” Minseok puffed out his cheeks.

“I know, I know...You’re the great CEO of the entire company.” Minseok pulled on Jongdae’s cheeks.

“Earning more than you could spend...why don’t you give some to me?” Jongdae snort and put the hoodie on Minseok.

“No, go earn your own, you just said you got accepted. Be confident.” Jongdae smiled.

“Oh my god, am I hearing what I think I’m hearing?” Minseok mumbled. Jongdae tilted his head and looked at Minseok with his lost puppy eyes.

“Are you encouraging me?” Jongdae slapped Minseok’s head.

“Just move out already…” Minseok sighed and took the hoodie from his hands and slipped it on.

“You know what? Forget it, I’m not even annoyed anymore.” Jongdae gasped sarcastically.

“Aw that’s no fun, looks like I’ll have to try harder next time.” Minseok slipped on a pair of convers.

“Please don’t.”

“I feel like I’ve been initiated to a challenge!” He sighed and grabbed Jongdae by his blouse collar.

“We’re leaving.”

 

Minseok fidget with his hoodie strings while sitting nervously on passenger seat.

“Nervous?” Jongdae asked. He nodded mutedly.

“Jongdae…wh…what if they don’t like my drawing style?” Minseok’s widened eyes as he scanned at the ground for anything to distract him. Jongdae sighed and tugged at Minseok’s ears.

“Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ears!” Minseok lightly slapped Jongdae’s hands.

“Stop being nervous or I’ll rip your ears out.” Minseok sighed.

“Thanks for encouraging me.” Jongdae giggled.

“Don’t be nervous, I read some of your mangas, I don’t know if this insults your ‘fandom’ but I could totally compare it with Fairy Tail or One piece.” Minseok gasped and jumped in his seat.

“No way!” Jongdae giggled.

“I know, Fairy Tail…”

“You read my mangas?” Jongdae choked a bit.

“Well to start off you’re pretty popular and your mangas are everywhere in the book store.” He scratched his head sheepishly.

“And I kind of want to read what you write.” He giggled.

“Thanks, just drop me off here.”

“There?” He pointed at the front doors, which kind of looked a bit too big for normal glass doors.

“Yup.” Minseok got off and exhaled.

“You’ll do fine, think happy!” Jongdae said with the window down and smiled.

“Like me for example.” Minseok rolled his eyes.

“Or think of moving out of my lair.” He giggled and smiled. Jongdae smiled back and started the engine.

“Here again in 3 hours?” Jongdae grinned and gave you a thumbs up.

“I’ll text you.”

“Go get’em.”

 

“Luhan…Luhan…” Luhan was faced down onto his desk.

“LUHAN!” He was finally woken up by their manager, Suho’s voice. He looked up and rubbed his eyes so he could see clearly again.

“Suho?” Suho sighed.

“Yes it’s me again, and I heard you flunked your last mangaist again.” Luhan rolled his eyes.

“We can’t afford to lose anymore manga artists! Even though we’re a big company, we can’t have people in and out faster than our printing machine.” Luhan snort.

“Our printer broke yesterday.” Suho smacked his head with a thick folder and hissed.

“I will give you one last chance, one last god damn chance for you to redeem yourself.” Luhan lit up. He grabbed the folder and smiled.

“Our best, Kris and Tao just left mere weeks ago and you’re taking this way to lightly.”

“So who am I looking after this time?” Suho smirked and it made Luhan’s grin disappear.

“His name is Kim Minseok, he’s the author to a couple sagas, one is called Reality, his most famous works…” Luhan flipped through his portfolio and cocked his head.

“But Suho…he’s only drawn adventure and action mangas…” Suho’s smirk almost turned evil.

“I know.” Luhan inhaled.

“But our department’s a shoujo manga department.” Suho cringed and sat down next to Luhan.

 

(Shoujo basically means like cliché moment-high school girls-love at first sight-girls always end up with boys-manga. Search it up, it’s a genre of manga.)

 

“Look, because of you, our department’s receive nothing but complaints…and this department is the worst one in our company. We can’t even beat the Velvets! And the NCT rookies are already getting their third mangaist. Let’s not get into ShiNee…” Luhan gulped and gripped on to the folder.

“And don’t even get me started on the Girls G…” Luhan groaned. Suho stood up and brushed his pants with his hands as if there are breadcrumbs on it. 

“I’ll be taking my leave, and you take good care of this one, it’s your last one after all.” Luhan watched him leave and slumped on his chair.

“Yo, Suho was pretty hard on you…” Sehun laughed. Luhan kicked his leg to shut him up.

“Shut up, it’s not like you can handle yours properly” Sehun snickered and sat down at his desk next to Luhan.

“May I?” He gestured towards Luhan’s thick folder.

“Go ahead.” He tossed it on Sehun’s desk.

“Suho gave you another one?” Jongin and Kyungsoo came in as soon as Suho walked out. Luhan waved at Kyungsoo.

“Oh you brought yours?” Sehun gestured towards Kyungsoo. Jongin sighed.

“Why do you both refer our mangaist as ‘yours’?” Jongin ruffled Kyungsoo’s hair and grinned.

“And unlike you people, we’re the only one in our department who’s doing well.” Luhan and Sehun frowned. It was the truth, Luhan’s first one was a guy as well, he tried to work with him, but Luhan was never on time, always forgets to read his emails or any of their text…so on. They soon lost connection and they were never spoken of again. This keep on happening over and over and soon, Luhan was literally desperate.

 

Sehun on the other hand is just plain unlucky. The people he gets are either bad temper, over emotional, or just plain bad in the manga industry, so in short, this department is full of failures…

 

Chanyeol walked in lazily and yawned.

“Has anyone seen Baek?” Jonging pointed at Baekhyun’s desk where a body lied on it lifelessly.

“Get up.” Chanyeol said and threw an empty can at his head. Baekhyun flinched and turned around, facing them.

“D…Did you finish your weekly…?” He asked weakly.

“Here.” Chanyeol slammed down a giant folder. Baekhyun saw the folder and the colour immediately returned to his cheeks.

“Actually?!” He asked as he flipped through the completed versions.

“Yeah, yeah…” Chanyeol sat at the edge of Baekhyun’s desk and yawned again.

“How many all-nighters did you put up with?” Baekhyun watched Chanyeol as he finished to what seemed his 5th cup of coffee.

“4 and counting, I know you’ve been slacking off, so I did some of it, here.” He threw a USB onto Baekhyun’s lap. He quickly plugged it in his laptop and his jaws hung open.

“Jesus when did you have the time to arrange all this? You contacted…”

“Yeah, Suho? I told him I was helping you so the shipment is done.” Baekhyun felt tears in his eyes.

“What would I do without you?” Chanyeol giggled and ruffled Baekhyun’s messy hair.

“You’re treating me to lunch.” Baekhyun beamed.

 

Sehun sighed.

“I want one…they look like they’re having fun…” Luhan chuckled and pat his friend’s shoulders.

“Too bad you’re just a plain editor.” Luhan stood up and looked at his watch.

“Too bad we’re editors.” Yixing came up to Sehun and smiled.

“Yo, Chanyeol gave me his, did Kyungsoo hand them to you?” Sehun nodded tiredly.

“Just finished.”

“Sehun! Thanks for the god speed editing! I feel pretty bad for you, being put in the horrible department.” Kyungsoo adjusted his glasses and smiled the best he could.

“Oh don’t force yourself, Kyungsoo.” Jongin grabbed Kyungsoo by his back collar and dragged him away, to the elevators.

“You finished his already?!” Yixing said as he sat down at his desk.

“God speed.” Luhan giggled and looked at his watch again.

“Speaking of editing…I’ve got my hands on a pretty rare one today.” Luhan rubbed both of his hands together. Sehun took out Chanyeol’s latest work and groaned.

“All I do is edit!” Luhan laughed as he headed towards the confrence room to meet his mysterious mangaist.

“It’s your job, Sehun.” He called behind his shoulders.