Chapter one

I love you (more)

 

 

“I'm tired,” Jonah sighed and rest her head against her chair.

“Well, you've been working for twelve hours straight, maybe you should rest a bit,” Dongwoo smiled.

 

Dongwoo was actually her boss's best friend and the head of the marketing department. Yet, during nights like this where she was stuck at work because of the amount of files and reports she had to do, he was staying with her to work too (and to make sure she wasn't fainting of exhaustion, but he never told her that).

 

“I can't rest,” she pouted, “I need to be done with this before Mr. Nam is back.”

“He won't be mad at you for if you go back home to sleep.”

“I won't be able to sleep if I know I still have work to do anyway,” Jonah sighed once again and concentrated on her computer's screen, reading what she had just written to correct all of the mistakes.

“Don't you have a son waiting for you?”

“Don't you have a boyfriend waiting for you?” she raised a brow.

 

Dongwoo tsked and rolled his eyes, giving up the fight since he knew he wasn't going to win anyway: Jonah was too stubborn. She smiled, proud, and then ignored him. A few minutes later, however, he spoke again.

 

“We broke up,” he shrugged, “so I don't have anybody waiting for me now.”

“Oh...?” she raised a brow, surprised, “really? Why? I thought you were doing well.”

“I thought too but... you know... we were not made for each other. All he was thinking about was parties and alcohol, while I'm more about work and staying home cuddling and everything.”

“You're a romantic, huh?”

 

He nodded and she simply shook her head, before ignoring him once again. Just at this moment, her phone vibrated. She opened the text message, waiting a text from Jisoo's nanny telling her that Myungsoo was finally at home so that she was leaving, but it was text coming directly from Myungsoo. She frowned, wondering what it could possibly be about, and read it.

 

I'm back home. I miss you.

 

She pushed her phone away a bit too violently to the point that her old device fell on the ground. She cursed under her breath and picked it up.

 

“What's going on?” Dongwoo looked at her above his computer.

“Myungsoo says he misses me. Bull.”

“So he's finally back, it's a good thing.”

“I'm better when he is away.”

“Why?” Dongwoo asked with knitted brow.

“Because seeing him reminds me of how much I love him.”

“But you want to divorce.”

“W-who told you?” she stuttered, surprised to hear he was knowing since she had never spoken about this at work.

“Sungyeol told me.”

“Aish... this boy can't really shut up, can he?”

 

Dongwoo shrugged and smiled not so innocently. Lee Sungyeol was her husband's closest friend so she wasn't surprised he knew about her asking for the divorce, but this boy couldn't keep a secret for himself and she was even surprised to see that the whole word didn't know about it yet. That was one of the main reasons why she had never been able to like him.

 

Suddenly, the lights of the office and they heard steps on the cold ground. Jonah looked behind her to see who was coming and as she recognized her boss' silhouette, she stood up and bowed. Dongwoo simply laughed at her behavior and smiled at his friend.

 

“Hey, what's up?” he asked

“I'm fine,” Nam Woohyun answered and ran a hair thought his hair, “I didn't sleep much but I'm fine. What are you still doing here?”

“Jonah has spent her night working so I stayed with her.”

 

Woohyun frowned and looked at his secretary. She didn't move or even blinked, waiting for what was coming next.

 

“Hey...” he frowned, “I told you to go home last night.”

“But... they were some reports which were still incomplete and-”

“And now you look like you're going to black out at any moment. I swear that if that happens, I won't let you say it's my fault.”

“I'm sorry,” she mumbled and blushed.

 

He chuckled and patted her shoulder in a very friendly way. She had been working under his orders for two years now and he had always been very friendly with her. He was using very informal speech with her and had had asked to do the same with him even tough she couldn't do it: he was still her boss after all.

 

“Well, I don't have much to do today, so you can go home,” he smiled, “go and rest.”

“It's not necessary,” she assured him.

“Jonah...”

“But I'm fine, really!”

 

Woohyun didn't answer her but turned around to mumble something at Dongwoo she didn't hear. Then he winked at her and left, ordering her not to follow him. Dongwoo didn't tell her what her boss had just said but instead, he turned off his computer, stood up, stretched a bit and took his jacket.

 

“Let's go and have a breakfast. I'm hungry.”

 

She nodded and followed him. Once she stepped out of the building, she covered her eyes a bit until they finally adapt to the sunlight. Since she had spent a lot of time stuck inside an office, going outside to meet the sun and also the fresh morning wind was kind of difficult and since she was a bit tired, obviously her senses were a bit weak and reacted strangely to everything which was surrounding her. So, she was cold.

 

Once they reached Dongwoo's car, he opened the passenger door like a gentleman and invited her to take place. He followed her a few seconds later and she let him drove her where he wanted but she wasn't expecting him to stop in front of the building she was living in. She frowned and glared at him.

 

“Well, I never said where I wanted to eat precisely,” he laughed and went out of his car.

 

She didn't a say word and walked behind following, letting him dragged her to her own house. As she felt the lift going up and saw the numbers changing to be always a bit closer to the last floor, her heart raced with fear and anxiety. Myungsoo was back and she had to face him. She knew it shouldn't have been something bothering and scaring her, they were married after all, but she couldn't just stand the idea of being near him.

 

She gathered her courage to open the door and entered her house which felt exactly like she was entering a stranger's house: she felt uneasy and unsure about what to do. She even thought about asking Dongwoo if it was alright for her to leave her bag and shoes in the living room instead of the hall! Fortunately, she didn't have enough time to think too much since Jisoo wearing a cute blue pajamas appeared, looking who were the people who had just entered his house and when he saw his mother, he shouted and ran toward her. She gladly welcomed him into a tight embrace and kissed his forehead.

 

“Hi baby,” she laughed.

“Mom... where were you?” he pouted.

“You already know that, I was at work.”

“I don't like it when you're at work.”

 

She kissed his pout and let him go. He turned to Dongwoo and greeted him with a big smile which had a few teeth still missing. Dongwoo ruffled his hair and then they went to the big open space gathering kitchen, living and dinning room and which was always Jisoo's playground so all his toys were spread all over the room. Under them, if you were looking closely at it, you could possibly see Myungsoo and Jonah's wedding portrait.

 

Myungsoo was on the sofa, watching TV and checking some files on his Ipad. When his wife entered the room, he obviously looked at her but she avoided his eyes. So in order not to make the atmosphere too awkward for Dongwoo, he stood up and they shook hands. After all, they weren't even this close.

 

Jisoo insisted on sitting on the table and Jonah listened to him once Myungsoo and Dongwoo had sat around the table, so that the little boy couldn't fall. She prepared the coffee and put a lot of things to eat in front of Dongwoo for him to eat as much as he wanted. Next, she sat next to her colleague and stared at her coffee cup instead of her husband who was in front of her, talking with Dongwoo and keeping his hands around Jisoo so that he wouldn't fall. They were maybe not the best parents but at least, they were always making sure the little boy was alright and had everything he wanted. All they could do was to protect him.

 

“Are you going back to work?”

 

At first Jonah didn't even realize Myungsoo had talked to her, she only reacted when Dongwoo cleared his throat. She looked up and nodded.

 

“No, she's not going back,” her colleague smiled, “Woohyun doesn't want to see her for the rest of the day and asked me to bring her back to you.”

“So that's what he told you,” she tsked, “Woohyun is really an idiot...”

“Woohyun?” Dongwoo chuckled, “what happened to 'Mr. Nam'? I thought you didn't want to call him by his name.”

“Well... he told me I could so why not...”

 

She looked at Myungsoo's reaction which was exactly what she expected. If at first he was tapping his fingers on the table but when she had said 'Woohyun' he had suddenly stopped and had looked at her with his famous poker face. “Be jealous, Myungsoo”, she thought and laughed internally, “be jealous. Show me that you care about me talking to and about other men”.

 

“After all,” she spoke again, “we've been working together for two years now and we also see each other like... 340 days a year. That's a lot.”

 

I see him more than I see you,” she wanted to add but left this part unsaid, “I spend more time with my boss than my husband. You should be ashamed”. Myungsoo didn't even blink and looked away, smiling at something Jisoo had just said. Dongwoo left no so long after, saying that he still had something to do at the office but that he wasn't going to stay here for a long time, his bed really calling for him. Jonah thanked him for driving her back to her place and he answered that if she was going to offer him as much food as she had for a breakfast, he would come back everyday. Myungsoo told him that he was welcomed anyway, and then Dongwoo really left. Myungsoo and Jonah stared at each other for a while, looking for something to say but the atmosphere was really to awkward between them so she chose to wait for him to drive Jisoo at school for sleeping so that they wouldn't have to spend an entire together.

 

I probably love you more than you do anyway,” she thought before closing her eyes, looking at a picture of them from the time they were still in high school which was on Myungsoo's nightstand, “if at least you're still loving me.