Chapter fifteen

I love you (more)

 “Daddy?”

“Hum?” Myungsoo looked at his son who was sitting on the counter of the kitchen next to him so that the little boy could see what he was cooking.

“Why isn't mom coming home anymore? Why do I have to go at uncle Jjong's place to see her?”

“Well she... she is busy, that's why.”

“And what is she doing? Uncle Jjong doesn't work with her.”

“You know your mom really like to spend some time with Sungjong.”

“But why aren't they staying home like they always do? Do they eat pizza at uncle Jjong's now?”

 

Myungsoo smiled though his heart was hurting into his chest at the mention of Jonah. Indeed, two weeks after their date, they had only seen each other once when she had came back home to pick her up her stuff. He had tried to stop her with all his strength and might, he apologized a hundred times and even knelt in front of her, begging her to stay but she had said that she should be the one apologizing and she left him alone. He had tried to call her and even went to Sungjong's place to talk to her, but whenever he was coming, she was at work. And at her work, because he also tried to go there, the receptionist always answered she wasn't there. But Myungsoo was sure Jonah had simply told them to forbid him from entering. He also asked Sunggyu if he could try to join her and planned them an appointment together, even if it had to be the last one, for them to at least explained themselves and made the things cleared between them. But no, he was just there waiting for his wife to come back. And obviously, Jisoo was wondering where his mother was and why she wasn't at home with them anymore.

 

“And uncle Hoya left with her?” Jisoo titled his head.

“No not really, he left to live somewhere else.”

“But here in Seoul? Next to grand-ma's house?”

“That's it,” he smiled.

“Oh alright... then is mom going to live next to grand-ma's too? Is she going to live with uncle Hoya while we will be here together alone?”

“Don't worry,” he kissed his son's nose, “she is going to come back.”

 

She won't. She is never coming back,” he thought but didn't say a word since he couldn't take the risk to hurt Jisoo.

 

“I want mom to be with us,” the little boy sighed loudly.

 

I wish she was here too.

 

“It's not because she doesn't love me anymore, right?” he looked up at his father with teary eyes, “because me I really love her, I love her very much and I've always told her I love her... she can't hate me.”

“Jisoo...” the sad father took the boy into his arms, hugging him tightly, “mom loves you a lot, she loves you more than she loves anything else.”

 

She doesn't even love me.

 

“Then why isn't she home with us? I want my mom.”

 

Jisoo started crying and no matter how much Myungsoo tried to comfort him, the boy didn't stop. He refused to eat without his mom, refused to shower without his mom and refused to go to bed with his mom. Yet, later, Jisoo fell asleep of exhaustion. Myungsoo lay his son on his bed and covered his thin body under his favorite Pororo cover. Since he himself couldn't sleep and couldn't even entered his bedroom, Jonah's smell and presence being all around the room and even the house. But for Jisoo, he had to stay strong.

 

He did the chores the most silently possible to make sure he was waking up Jisoo and later in the night, he worked on some files for his job. When midnight arrived, Sungyeol invited himself and even brought beers. They sat on the sofa and the TV, watching a random program. Sungyeol really tried hard to make the conversation a bit interesting and even tried to make his best friend talk with him, but Myungsoo was too far into his sad thoughts to even pay attention to him. Sungyeol finally gave up two hours later, feeling drained of any kinds of energy.

 

“I miss her so much,” Myungsoo sobbed, looking straight at the TV, “I... I never wanted this.”

“You shouldn't have married her at the first place...” Sungyeol mumbled.

“I shouldn't...” was all Myungsoo was able to answer.

 

He kept crying, showing his weak side for the very first time to his friend who kept wondering what he should do to comfort him. Indeed, Sungyeol was very good friend but he wasn't the best when it came to feelings.

 

“I want her... I need her... “

 

*

 

“Mr. Kim.”

 

Myungsoo was standing in his office, his hands dug into the pockets of his black and lifeless trousers and he was staring at the skyline. The moon was shinning brightly surrounding by billions of stars and contrary to his sky, there were no visible clouds perturbing the beautiful horizon. He smiled weakly.

 

“Excuse me.”

“Hum?”

“Mr. Kim,” Yoon Sunmi laughed nervously, “you've been standing here for an hour now, I'm starting to get worried... are you alright?”

“Me?” he snorted, “alright?”

 

In the window, he looked at her reflection and saw her nodded.

 

“No, I'm not,” he admitted, already feeling the pain building up slowly but surely into his chest and tears coming to his eyes.

“Is it perhaps about your wife?” she gulped, “I've heard people saying they saw your wife hanging out with another man quick a lot recently.”

“Is that so?” Sunmi looked down, “it hasn't even been a month and she is already dating other man... she is really something.”

“I'm sorry Mr. Kim,” the clueless secretary said, “I shouldn't have spoken about her...”

“You shouldn't have, indeed...”

“I'll... I'll be going now. I'm sorry.”

 

She bowed her head and left. Myungsoo cursed out loud and kicked his chair. He ran his hands through his hair and left his office, finding Sunmi waiting for the elevator to open. When she saw him, she smiled.

 

“Sunmi,” he panted a bit, “what are you doing tonight?”

“E-excuse me?”

“Are you going back home?” she nodded, “then don't. Let's go eat together.”

 

Her eyes widened and her smile turned into a big grin.

 

“I'd love to, Mr. Kim.”

 

*

 

“Jisoo hurry up.”

“Coming!” the little boy shouted from his bedroom.

 

He arrived in the living room five minutes later, his big on his back on several plushies in his arms.

 

“Are you sure you'll have enough? It's only a week you know,” Howon chuckled.

“Mom told me to bring a lot so that I can let at her house too,” he smiled.

“Alright, let's go now.”

 

Jisoo nodded and gave his plushies to his uncle when he hugged his father. Myungsoo took in his arms and lifted him to kiss him all over the face. Ever since Jonah and him weren't living together anymore and they had agreed (they didn't talk but used Howon as a messenger) to share the custody of Jisoo, Myungsoo couldn't bear to be separated from him. He was staying with his father a week on two and was with his mother who was living with her older brother the other week. Jisoo didn't really seem to mind which was the only positive point. Otherwise, seeing his son leave for an entire week was heartbreaking and every times he just wanted to call Jonah to tell her that he would keep him for a week more. Or he just wanted to tell her to come back but she wasn't even answering his text, he had somehow lost all hopes.

 

“You'll be a good boy with mom, right?” Myungsoo smiled though he felt the tears coming to his eyes.

“Yes! And I'll help her doing the chores! And I won't let my toys in the middle of the way because she doesn't like it,” Jisoo grinned.

 

Myungsoo nodded and kissed his cheek one last time before he let him go. Jisoo took his precious plushies back with him and left the house, waiting for his uncle who had to take the boy's bag filled with his clothes for a week.

 

“Howon hyung... can you tell her that I miss her?” He asked.

“I will,” Howon sent him a shy smile, “I promise I will.”

 

Myungsoo thanked him and when he closed the door, he leaned against the wood and burst out in tears.